Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | assay bloodlines from list
because i'm breeding projects goerg, i use assay bloodlines a lot. i often have to compare every possible combination of 30 or more dragons against each other. i have a spreadsheet that spits out a list of which ids i need to compare against which, and tediously move my way down it. i've found ways of making this easier (mainly by using firefox's long undo history for text fields to rapidly cycle through the same list) but honestly this is silly. the site should be able to handle this repetitive task for me. the goal here is to remove tedium on the player's part, not to make the actual server process any faster; that is, the list would still be examined [b]sequentially[/b] as it is right now when i manually paste scores of IDs in myself. not concurrently. i say this to make it clear i'm not asking for the process behind assay bloodlines to work any differently, only for some streamlining in how players input dragons. i propose a new feature (or perhaps two, depends how you look on it) for assay bloodlines: three new buttons: "import text", "import tabs", and "view cached test". ------ [img alt="new buttons"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/78983752_zVRlU1NQ3608Q6B.png[/img] [b]import text[/b] allows players to paste (from their device's clipboard) a list of IDs. let's just assume the input field is safeguarded to a) reject any input that is not an arabic numeral, and b) have an arbitrary max size. because of course it will. [img alt="import list"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/78984028_XyTAqGoCKsZv0NF.png[/img] [img alt="import two lists"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/78983760_dH9Vvp9kIcOQX4J.png[/img] [quote]You may compare multiple dragons by pasting a list of [b]ID numbers[/b] from your device's clipboard. This may take some time. The results of this test will be cached, [b]over-writing your previous cached test[/b].[/quote] there are two functions under "import text": all dragons mode, and two lists mode. [b]all dragons mode[/b] takes one list (that's one text input field), and compares [b]every ID in the list[/b] against [b]every other ID in that list[/b]. great for checking whether the intended first generation of your new breeding project contains any relatives who are going to make the next generations really awkward. [b]two lists mode[/b] takes two lists (that's two text input fields), and compares [b]all IDs in list 1[/b] against [b]all IDs in list 2[/b]. great for comparing potential new acquisitions against dragons already in your breeding project. lists don't have to be long. you could theoretically only put one ID in one of the lists in two-lists mode. ------ [b]import tabs[/b] works similarly to "all dragons mode" in the import text feature, except it doesn't take a text input but instead a list of tabs in your lair. [img alt="import tabs"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/78983756_0wMXrxfsNfMfZRS.png[/img] [quote]This widget automatically compares the breeding compatibility of [b]all dragons[/b] within your selected tab(s). This may take some time. The results of this test will be cached, [b]over-writing your previous cached test[/b].[/quote] i think an interface similar to the select gene system on the AH would be the way to go here. present the player with a list of all their tabs, and let them select whichever ones they want to assay. would a "two lists" mode be useful for this too? unsure. tbh i originally concieved of this as a way to get the site to generate a list of IDs, as text, from a given tab or lsit of tabs, so you could save it for later use and then i realised that's silly, just cut out the middleman and have it assay the tabs. maybe it could have both features? assay OR just pull IDs? ------ in either case, the results would appear after a period of time, either displaying "hooray! none of these dragons are related!" or a list of related dragons with pictures, thus: [img alt="related"]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/78983754_3Id7UwpJx5rxect.png[/img] [quote]Compared [b]43[/b] dragons the following dragons are [b]too closely related to breed:[/b] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/93028891][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/930289/93028891.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92621172][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/926212/92621172.png[/img][/url] White          Roundabout #[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/93028891]93028891[/url]    #[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92621172]92621172[/url] Common ancestor: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/39308894]Luka #39308894[/url][/center] The results of this test [b]have now been cached[/b]. Performing another test will over-write this cache.[/quote] ------ [b]view cached test[/b] will simply bring up a modal displaying whatever the results were for the previous test, including the full list(s) of IDs or tabs compared. i primarily concieve of this cache as benefitting those who mistakenly close the tab after initiating the test, or who need a reminder of what they were doing yesterday, rather than any kind of vital long-term data storage. so, each player only gets one cache, which is over-written every time a new test is performed. i think it's reasonable for the cache for these batch tests to be retained even if a player uses assay bloodlines the old way, by manually inputting two IDs and clicking "check". ------ yeah. i think that's everything.
because i'm breeding projects goerg, i use assay bloodlines a lot. i often have to compare every possible combination of 30 or more dragons against each other. i have a spreadsheet that spits out a list of which ids i need to compare against which, and tediously move my way down it.

i've found ways of making this easier (mainly by using firefox's long undo history for text fields to rapidly cycle through the same list) but honestly this is silly.

the site should be able to handle this repetitive task for me.

the goal here is to remove tedium on the player's part, not to make the actual server process any faster; that is, the list would still be examined sequentially as it is right now when i manually paste scores of IDs in myself. not concurrently. i say this to make it clear i'm not asking for the process behind assay bloodlines to work any differently, only for some streamlining in how players input dragons.

i propose a new feature (or perhaps two, depends how you look on it) for assay bloodlines:

three new buttons: "import text", "import tabs", and "view cached test".

new buttons

import text allows players to paste (from their device's clipboard) a list of IDs. let's just assume the input field is safeguarded to a) reject any input that is not an arabic numeral, and b) have an arbitrary max size. because of course it will.

import list
import two lists
Quote:
You may compare multiple dragons by pasting a list of ID numbers from your device's clipboard.

This may take some time. The results of this test will be cached, over-writing your previous cached test.

there are two functions under "import text": all dragons mode, and two lists mode.

all dragons mode takes one list (that's one text input field), and compares every ID in the list against every other ID in that list. great for checking whether the intended first generation of your new breeding project contains any relatives who are going to make the next generations really awkward.

two lists mode takes two lists (that's two text input fields), and compares all IDs in list 1 against all IDs in list 2. great for comparing potential new acquisitions against dragons already in your breeding project.

lists don't have to be long. you could theoretically only put one ID in one of the lists in two-lists mode.

import tabs works similarly to "all dragons mode" in the import text feature, except it doesn't take a text input but instead a list of tabs in your lair.

import tabs
Quote:
This widget automatically compares the breeding compatibility of all dragons within your selected tab(s).

This may take some time. The results of this test will be cached, over-writing your previous cached test.

i think an interface similar to the select gene system on the AH would be the way to go here. present the player with a list of all their tabs, and let them select whichever ones they want to assay.

would a "two lists" mode be useful for this too? unsure. tbh i originally concieved of this as a way to get the site to generate a list of IDs, as text, from a given tab or lsit of tabs, so you could save it for later use and then i realised that's silly, just cut out the middleman and have it assay the tabs. maybe it could have both features? assay OR just pull IDs?

in either case, the results would appear after a period of time, either displaying "hooray! none of these dragons are related!" or a list of related dragons with pictures, thus:

related
Quote:
Compared 43 dragons

the following dragons are too closely related to breed:
93028891.png 92621172.png
White          Roundabout
#93028891    #92621172

Common ancestor: Luka #39308894

The results of this test have now been cached. Performing another test will over-write this cache.

view cached test will simply bring up a modal displaying whatever the results were for the previous test, including the full list(s) of IDs or tabs compared.

i primarily concieve of this cache as benefitting those who mistakenly close the tab after initiating the test, or who need a reminder of what they were doing yesterday, rather than any kind of vital long-term data storage. so, each player only gets one cache, which is over-written every time a new test is performed.

i think it's reasonable for the cache for these batch tests to be retained even if a player uses assay bloodlines the old way, by manually inputting two IDs and clicking "check".
yeah. i think that's everything.

Tired | Xe / Xem / Xyr | Cymreig | avatar
SUPPORT SO MUCH!

Anything to make the Scrying Workshop make me want to tear my hair out less often
SUPPORT SO MUCH!

Anything to make the Scrying Workshop make me want to tear my hair out less often
9650eb7d6ebe493e3d6bdd47099c7c9df0a42bc8.png
Support. I was helping a friend look for a dragon recently and. wow. I needed over 30 tabs open, and that wasn't a fun time of copy/pasting the ID 30 times, clicking check, and then closing the message box

It might also be nice to have a box you could select to check the children of a dragon on your list. So rather than check 5 (or 6?) generations up, it would check one fewer to simulate checking a child with the assumption that the other parent is definitely not related. This wouldn't be nearly as useful, but was something that would've also helped in my search
Support. I was helping a friend look for a dragon recently and. wow. I needed over 30 tabs open, and that wasn't a fun time of copy/pasting the ID 30 times, clicking check, and then closing the message box

It might also be nice to have a box you could select to check the children of a dragon on your list. So rather than check 5 (or 6?) generations up, it would check one fewer to simulate checking a child with the assumption that the other parent is definitely not related. This wouldn't be nearly as useful, but was something that would've also helped in my search
Need a fodder trainer build? Try one of these:
Kelp Beds - Leviathan Leveler - 2 Fodder Trainer
GLR + Mire - Ghire Gorer - 2 Fodder
Mire - Mire Mauler - 2 Fodder
GLR - Ruin Wrecker - 2 Fodder Trainer
Boreal Wood- Boreal Banisher - 2 Fodder Trainer
Harpy's Roost - Roost Rustler - 2 Fodder Trainer
Launch_Plans_-_Small.png
(Don't ping the staff)
THIS omg please.

I have been periodically searching for about a year now for anyone who's made a spreadsheet or tool that allows me to assay against a list of ids (to no avail of course), but having it actually implemented on-site would be amazing.
THIS omg please.

I have been periodically searching for about a year now for anyone who's made a spreadsheet or tool that allows me to assay against a list of ids (to no avail of course), but having it actually implemented on-site would be amazing.
female.png She/Her____________67.png Artist_________68.png Cheese Priestess
93.png D&D Geek_______49.png Pokemon Nerd___________161.png Cat Lover
Support. Breedings projects grow enormous quickly and I'd rather not have to dedicate an entire hour to assaying 32 dragons against each other. It's tedious and unnecessary. I don't care if the site takes forever to run all these tests against each other. As long as I can just leave my computer to run them and I can go do something else, it'll work perfectly. It's not randomly generated data either. The site already has this data. Implementing this would help breeders massively
Support. Breedings projects grow enormous quickly and I'd rather not have to dedicate an entire hour to assaying 32 dragons against each other. It's tedious and unnecessary. I don't care if the site takes forever to run all these tests against each other. As long as I can just leave my computer to run them and I can go do something else, it'll work perfectly. It's not randomly generated data either. The site already has this data. Implementing this would help breeders massively
Alina
She/They/Saturn/Space
Previously Oakensleaf
FR +3
ROm4zxj.png l6nCFA8.png
oh something like this would be SO NICE for preparing for big breeding projects
oh something like this would be SO NICE for preparing for big breeding projects
MuAIaYM.pngfMJGS3M.png
YES PLEASE!!!!! As someone who collects dragons in one particular color range, this concept is something I have wished for FOR YEARS. I took a hiatus back in late 2016 to March 2018 and came back to most new dragons with newer genes being related to each other somehow, lol. I got into G1's largely because of it. At some point, I want to make a spreadsheet of related dragons, but I do not want to spend HOURS assaying 50+ dragons against each other.
YES PLEASE!!!!! As someone who collects dragons in one particular color range, this concept is something I have wished for FOR YEARS. I took a hiatus back in late 2016 to March 2018 and came back to most new dragons with newer genes being related to each other somehow, lol. I got into G1's largely because of it. At some point, I want to make a spreadsheet of related dragons, but I do not want to spend HOURS assaying 50+ dragons against each other.
Personally not something I'd use often but I can understand how useful it'd be. Suport!
Personally not something I'd use often but I can understand how useful it'd be. Suport!
PiAyg8i.png

A small flight banner, halve being fire and halve being wind.

Silver_Square.png
^ Fandragon ^
Now this is a QoL update we desperately need. Easily the hardest part of breeding dragons for me is assaying. Unless you have a small project you have to assay dozens of dragons against one another. The only possible way to do that is on computer and then you have many many clicks. On a computer, using the split screen message with the lists, using ctrl c and v, it's still 4 clicks per dragon. I get my wrist cramping after a list of 10. I often have lists that range 10-50 that I need to test against each other. That's easily 200 clicks, or more.

And I have to do that just to test 1 single dragon against dragons I already own. At the very least I don't know why we don't have an option to test a dragon against dragons we already own.

I don't care if it freezes the site for me. if it took half an hour that would be a glorious trade for me. Because it is that painful checking assay and there's no other way.
Now this is a QoL update we desperately need. Easily the hardest part of breeding dragons for me is assaying. Unless you have a small project you have to assay dozens of dragons against one another. The only possible way to do that is on computer and then you have many many clicks. On a computer, using the split screen message with the lists, using ctrl c and v, it's still 4 clicks per dragon. I get my wrist cramping after a list of 10. I often have lists that range 10-50 that I need to test against each other. That's easily 200 clicks, or more.

And I have to do that just to test 1 single dragon against dragons I already own. At the very least I don't know why we don't have an option to test a dragon against dragons we already own.

I don't care if it freezes the site for me. if it took half an hour that would be a glorious trade for me. Because it is that painful checking assay and there's no other way.
gG13YVz.pngtumblr_o4yu8gUBhN1uvtnbto1_400.png