Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Convince me to join a fandom!
1 2 3
I'm just going to cut to the chase... I'm running out of things to be obsessed with. I want to join a new fandom or two this year. It could be a videogame fandom, a book fandom, a youtuber fandom, or anything you can successfully convince me to become obsessed with. Take this as an opportunity to introduce/gush about your favorite fandoms and possibly recruit new people to the community. I want to read paragraph upon paragraph about why and how your fandom is amazing. Don't hold back! RELEASH THE KRAKEN!!!!!!
I'm just going to cut to the chase... I'm running out of things to be obsessed with. I want to join a new fandom or two this year. It could be a videogame fandom, a book fandom, a youtuber fandom, or anything you can successfully convince me to become obsessed with. Take this as an opportunity to introduce/gush about your favorite fandoms and possibly recruit new people to the community. I want to read paragraph upon paragraph about why and how your fandom is amazing. Don't hold back! RELEASH THE KRAKEN!!!!!!
Oh god here we go...
Just Roll With It: Riptide is a fantasy pirate D&D podcast (available as both video and audio only) featuring 3 player characters, Chip, Jay and Gillion.

Chip is a rogue who grew up on a pirate ship before disaster struck and the crew was split apart. His main goal is to find his old crew family, as well as making a name for himself and his new crew.
Jay, a ranger/artificer grew up in a navy family but decided to leave to find her own way and learn more about the wotld, as well as investigating into the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of a relative.
Gillion is a triton paladin, also known as the chosen one, whose heroic destiny was foretold long before he was ever born. His main goal is to fulfill his destiny, but he's not expecting to find out so much along the way.

The characters are roleplayed and developed well, and the DM is great at not only creating a great plot but also creating atmosphere and immersion through their wirldbuilding and description.
There's currently 115 episodes, but the show is currently on a hiatus until June (ish) so you've got time to catch up before the new episodes, or at least get pretty close. When it's running it updates once a fortnight. It is on YouTube and Spotify, as well as most other podcast platforms.

(also if you're audio-only the voices are super easy to tell apart!! i find it really hard w big groups of players but bc there's only 3 it's easy to get used to :D)

Oh god here we go...
Just Roll With It: Riptide is a fantasy pirate D&D podcast (available as both video and audio only) featuring 3 player characters, Chip, Jay and Gillion.

Chip is a rogue who grew up on a pirate ship before disaster struck and the crew was split apart. His main goal is to find his old crew family, as well as making a name for himself and his new crew.
Jay, a ranger/artificer grew up in a navy family but decided to leave to find her own way and learn more about the wotld, as well as investigating into the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of a relative.
Gillion is a triton paladin, also known as the chosen one, whose heroic destiny was foretold long before he was ever born. His main goal is to fulfill his destiny, but he's not expecting to find out so much along the way.

The characters are roleplayed and developed well, and the DM is great at not only creating a great plot but also creating atmosphere and immersion through their wirldbuilding and description.
There's currently 115 episodes, but the show is currently on a hiatus until June (ish) so you've got time to catch up before the new episodes, or at least get pretty close. When it's running it updates once a fortnight. It is on YouTube and Spotify, as well as most other podcast platforms.

(also if you're audio-only the voices are super easy to tell apart!! i find it really hard w big groups of players but bc there's only 3 it's easy to get used to :D)

y6Tz96p.pngFObX7rS.pngy6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
Oh gosh so many choicesssssss!!!

Have you ever played Octopath Traveler?

It's an RPG game developed by Square Enix that has a little bit of EVERYTHING!!
Tons of world to explore, unique and interesting NPCs that you can talk to, turn based combat with a lot of strategy, beautiful illustrations, a banger soundtrack, super in depth plot which you find out is even more complicated than you thought if you dig deep enough!

The basic vibe is that at the beginning you can choose between eight different characters: Ophillia the Cleric, Cyrus the Scholar, Tressa the Merchant, Olberic the Warrior, Primrose the Dancer, Alfyn the Apothecary, Therion the Thief, and Haanit the Hunter. All eight characters have their own unique stories and goals.
Once you pick who's going to be your main character who's always in your team you can play through the first chapter of their story and then travel around the world of Orsterra meeting the others and playing through the first chapters of their stories.
You can go about it in any order you want! I've even seen some people play through one character's entire story then find the next person, take the other one out of their team and play through THAT character's entire story!

Other than the main story, there are countless side stories, side bosses, and just random things you can find around the world that make you go "Oh... Oh? OH!"

So yeah, VERY fun game, I have over 100 hours of play time on it and I didn't even do everything you can do! You should totally check it out, whether your more into a cheery merchant embarking on her very first journey away from home, a blackmailed thief working big heists in order to regain his freedom, a hardcore revenge story as a dancer does everything in her power to destroy her father's murderers, or the story of a scholar trying to find a severely overdue library book (15 years overdue in fact. Also it's a very rare, important book. But it's funner to say that his entire journey is about tracking down an overdue library book ha ha!), there's something for everyone in Octopath Traveler!

To conclude my speech I shall quote Olberic Eisenburg's most famous line.
"MY BLADE IS UNBENDING!!!"

*mic drop*
Oh gosh so many choicesssssss!!!

Have you ever played Octopath Traveler?

It's an RPG game developed by Square Enix that has a little bit of EVERYTHING!!
Tons of world to explore, unique and interesting NPCs that you can talk to, turn based combat with a lot of strategy, beautiful illustrations, a banger soundtrack, super in depth plot which you find out is even more complicated than you thought if you dig deep enough!

The basic vibe is that at the beginning you can choose between eight different characters: Ophillia the Cleric, Cyrus the Scholar, Tressa the Merchant, Olberic the Warrior, Primrose the Dancer, Alfyn the Apothecary, Therion the Thief, and Haanit the Hunter. All eight characters have their own unique stories and goals.
Once you pick who's going to be your main character who's always in your team you can play through the first chapter of their story and then travel around the world of Orsterra meeting the others and playing through the first chapters of their stories.
You can go about it in any order you want! I've even seen some people play through one character's entire story then find the next person, take the other one out of their team and play through THAT character's entire story!

Other than the main story, there are countless side stories, side bosses, and just random things you can find around the world that make you go "Oh... Oh? OH!"

So yeah, VERY fun game, I have over 100 hours of play time on it and I didn't even do everything you can do! You should totally check it out, whether your more into a cheery merchant embarking on her very first journey away from home, a blackmailed thief working big heists in order to regain his freedom, a hardcore revenge story as a dancer does everything in her power to destroy her father's murderers, or the story of a scholar trying to find a severely overdue library book (15 years overdue in fact. Also it's a very rare, important book. But it's funner to say that his entire journey is about tracking down an overdue library book ha ha!), there's something for everyone in Octopath Traveler!

To conclude my speech I shall quote Olberic Eisenburg's most famous line.
"MY BLADE IS UNBENDING!!!"

*mic drop*
[img]https://i.imgur.com/8T9rKQE.png[/img] Yeah, the Discworld fandom is vast and generally full of chill, cool people. It's also very old fandom, as the first book released in '83. Got a bit of a resurgence lately due to [i]Good Omens[/i], due to fans of that becoming curious what other works the authors have done. If you like Good Omens, you'll probably like Discworld, as its writing style leans a bit more towards Terry Pratchett as it does Neil Gaimain (he's written some good books too that I also recommend checking out!). Now, to the books themselves. I don't call the discworld novels a series, since each of them (even the ones about recurring characters) are written in a way that they can be read and enjoyed standalone. Each is a full story on its own, no prior knowledge required. You may not get every little cameo, but that won't detract from the plot as a whole. Pick what you like. There is, however, one major exception to this rule. The first two books, [i]The Colour of Magic[/i] and [i]The Light Fantastic[/i]. Don't start with them (unless of course you're interested in Sir Terry's growth as a writer and know that there's better things along the way. [i]The Light Fantastic[/i] actually is miles closer to what the Disc will become, but it it is the one and only direct sequel that doesn't work without its predecessor. [url=https://www.discworldemporium.com/reading-order/]The official website has a bunch of reading orders[/url], but again, pick what sounds interesting to you as a first read. Read a few blurbs and go from there. I personally started with [i]Reaper Man[/i] many years ago, and after revisting it in audiobook form I can safely say that it makes for a good start. Although, it's one of the darker books, but it stars the very personification of Death, so that should be inferred. The books are about a magical flat world on the back of four giant elephants, which in turn stand on a massive space-travelling turle, but primarily the books are about [i]people[/i]. Even in a fantasy world this strange, it's an exploration about people, regardless of whether these people are humans, trolls, dwarfs, werewolves, magically sapient animals, or whatever else. You won't find many characters that feel tacked on, they are unique and belong in this world. A lot of deveopement happens to them, which isn't reset back to status quo by the end, but kept thorughout the series. The author really understood people and captured that in a beautiful form. Among all the funny moments the books have, there are quite a lot big ones that make you think. I could go on a lot further about these wonderful books, but I'll cut myself short here (unless you want me to ramble on, which would be a challenge for me to keep these rambles spoiler-free). One last thing, I mentioned audiobooks before, which absolutely are lovely, but I recommend getting at least few books in text form first. Sir Terry's writing often works best in text form, especially the puns. He also did occasionally some fun things with formatting.
8T9rKQE.png

Yeah, the Discworld fandom is vast and generally full of chill, cool people. It's also very old fandom, as the first book released in '83. Got a bit of a resurgence lately due to Good Omens, due to fans of that becoming curious what other works the authors have done. If you like Good Omens, you'll probably like Discworld, as its writing style leans a bit more towards Terry Pratchett as it does Neil Gaimain (he's written some good books too that I also recommend checking out!).

Now, to the books themselves. I don't call the discworld novels a series, since each of them (even the ones about recurring characters) are written in a way that they can be read and enjoyed standalone. Each is a full story on its own, no prior knowledge required. You may not get every little cameo, but that won't detract from the plot as a whole. Pick what you like.
There is, however, one major exception to this rule. The first two books, The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Don't start with them (unless of course you're interested in Sir Terry's growth as a writer and know that there's better things along the way. The Light Fantastic actually is miles closer to what the Disc will become, but it it is the one and only direct sequel that doesn't work without its predecessor.

The official website has a bunch of reading orders, but again, pick what sounds interesting to you as a first read. Read a few blurbs and go from there.
I personally started with Reaper Man many years ago, and after revisting it in audiobook form I can safely say that it makes for a good start. Although, it's one of the darker books, but it stars the very personification of Death, so that should be inferred.

The books are about a magical flat world on the back of four giant elephants, which in turn stand on a massive space-travelling turle, but primarily the books are about people. Even in a fantasy world this strange, it's an exploration about people, regardless of whether these people are humans, trolls, dwarfs, werewolves, magically sapient animals, or whatever else. You won't find many characters that feel tacked on, they are unique and belong in this world. A lot of deveopement happens to them, which isn't reset back to status quo by the end, but kept thorughout the series.
The author really understood people and captured that in a beautiful form. Among all the funny moments the books have, there are quite a lot big ones that make you think.

I could go on a lot further about these wonderful books, but I'll cut myself short here (unless you want me to ramble on, which would be a challenge for me to keep these rambles spoiler-free).
One last thing, I mentioned audiobooks before, which absolutely are lovely, but I recommend getting at least few books in text form first. Sir Terry's writing often works best in text form, especially the puns. He also did occasionally some fun things with formatting.
please join a fandom for a SNES or PS1 JRPG. i need someone to talk to about games that came out before i was born so i don’t sound like a crazyperson
please join a fandom for a SNES or PS1 JRPG. i need someone to talk to about games that came out before i was born so i don’t sound like a crazyperson
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
I can't exactly "recommend" them in good conscience since the new songs are kind of terrible, the lead singer is a terrible human being (I don't financially support him in any way, pepper everything I do with the band with warnings and contempt, and would punch him in the face if I saw him on the street), and the fanbase is even worse, but Falling In Reverse needs more listeners with frontal lobes and more folks for me to screech at because the hyperfixation that grabbed on in summer 2022 isn't letting go. The music's good when it's not utterly rancid, especially if you like the emo / pop-punk / metalcore general scene kid space, and their first album is extremely solid. Here's a listening order for you:
  • For preliminary work, listen to Dying Is Your Latest Fashion from Escape the Fate. Honestly, that and TDIMIY are the only work from this guy I consider to be unironically good. This is the first and last time that Ronald is remotely original and also looks and sounds like a human being.
  • The Drug In Me Is You is good, sans Pick Up The Phone.
  • The only songs from Fashionably Late that matter are the title track, Self-Destruct Personality, and Born To Lead. The rest will depend on how you feel about nonsense. Don't listen to Champion, Alone, or Bad Girls Club under any circumstances. Especially not Bad Girls Club, which shouldn't exist.
  • Just Like You is for the most part good, sans Track 3 (name's a little spicy for FR), Brother, Wait And See, and Pray.
  • Coming Home is good although it's completely different in genre and vibe, sans the bonus tracks, which are awful.
  • The only song after Coming Home that matters is Popular Monster. Voices In My Head is also okay, but don't watch its music video.
I can't exactly "recommend" them in good conscience since the new songs are kind of terrible, the lead singer is a terrible human being (I don't financially support him in any way, pepper everything I do with the band with warnings and contempt, and would punch him in the face if I saw him on the street), and the fanbase is even worse, but Falling In Reverse needs more listeners with frontal lobes and more folks for me to screech at because the hyperfixation that grabbed on in summer 2022 isn't letting go. The music's good when it's not utterly rancid, especially if you like the emo / pop-punk / metalcore general scene kid space, and their first album is extremely solid. Here's a listening order for you:
  • For preliminary work, listen to Dying Is Your Latest Fashion from Escape the Fate. Honestly, that and TDIMIY are the only work from this guy I consider to be unironically good. This is the first and last time that Ronald is remotely original and also looks and sounds like a human being.
  • The Drug In Me Is You is good, sans Pick Up The Phone.
  • The only songs from Fashionably Late that matter are the title track, Self-Destruct Personality, and Born To Lead. The rest will depend on how you feel about nonsense. Don't listen to Champion, Alone, or Bad Girls Club under any circumstances. Especially not Bad Girls Club, which shouldn't exist.
  • Just Like You is for the most part good, sans Track 3 (name's a little spicy for FR), Brother, Wait And See, and Pray.
  • Coming Home is good although it's completely different in genre and vibe, sans the bonus tracks, which are awful.
  • The only song after Coming Home that matters is Popular Monster. Voices In My Head is also okay, but don't watch its music video.
The Enforcer - they/themAboutArtFree IconsAvatar DragonNeocitiesWishlistA pixelated animation of a teal Mirror dragon wearing a blue and purple hood. They blink and then a heart appears in a speech balloon before filling with dark liquid and fading to black.
DreamWorks Trolls.

It’s very cheerful, cute and vibrant. But it can be surprisingly heartfelt at times too. (The Justin Timberlake & Anna Kendrick cover of “True Colors” genuinely makes me cry whenever I listen to it. I know that it sounds kind of silly but trust me on this.)

The Trolls canon “rules” are very flexible, allowing for ample creativity. example: In the 2nd movie it’s established that Trolls lay eggs to reproduce, but in the Trollstopia TV series (which takes place after the 2nd movie) there is at least one scene where a Troll couple is shown in the hospital with their newborn, implying a live birth took place.

Oh and speaking of Troll biology, Trolls species are influenced by music genres, not only the ones that they were born into but also ones that they grew up around or were influenced by from a young age.

For example, Cooper and Darren are both Funk Trolls by birth, but Cooper is considered “half Pop Troll” and Darren is considered “half Hip Hop Troll” due to their unique musical influences during childhood.

Overall it’s a pretty fun sandbox for creating OCs and writing fanfics, if you’re interested in that.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that male pregnancies and hybrid species do exist canonically in the series. Make of that information what you will… *shrugs*
DreamWorks Trolls.

It’s very cheerful, cute and vibrant. But it can be surprisingly heartfelt at times too. (The Justin Timberlake & Anna Kendrick cover of “True Colors” genuinely makes me cry whenever I listen to it. I know that it sounds kind of silly but trust me on this.)

The Trolls canon “rules” are very flexible, allowing for ample creativity. example: In the 2nd movie it’s established that Trolls lay eggs to reproduce, but in the Trollstopia TV series (which takes place after the 2nd movie) there is at least one scene where a Troll couple is shown in the hospital with their newborn, implying a live birth took place.

Oh and speaking of Troll biology, Trolls species are influenced by music genres, not only the ones that they were born into but also ones that they grew up around or were influenced by from a young age.

For example, Cooper and Darren are both Funk Trolls by birth, but Cooper is considered “half Pop Troll” and Darren is considered “half Hip Hop Troll” due to their unique musical influences during childhood.

Overall it’s a pretty fun sandbox for creating OCs and writing fanfics, if you’re interested in that.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that male pregnancies and hybrid species do exist canonically in the series. Make of that information what you will… *shrugs*
6nI5sr3.png UPbvkZE.png
I can't speak for the fan bases because I don't interact with fandom communities much anymore, but I feel like Metal Gear and Half-Life deserve more love these days. I wasn't old enough to play them when they first came out and only got the chance to recently but I think people are sleeping on these games currently and I'm surprised. You don't have to play them yourself, at least a playthrough will do. Everyone knows these games but I haven't met many people who've actually played them or know their entire stories.

Metal Gear was a really awesome and inventive game for its time and still holds up relatively well (besides a couple dated moments and words). Despite their military aesthetic they are actually very much about how war is bad and how the industrial war complex will keep it going because of greed. Snake is originally a pawn in war but eventually breaks away from this and becomes someone who actively fights the system because he realizes how wrong it is. Also these games were some of the first that had a pacifist route! While the games can be goofy and over the top on the surface level, think if you merged both the tropes of western action movies and anime, the themes they talk about are very real, how messed up war can be and how it can turn people who could be friends against each other, and how technology, AI, and the internet will change history, for better or worse. Also I found many of the characters in these games likable, even the villains are charming in their own ways. Series content warnings: violence, war themes, sexual themes (but no visual stuff), minor horror elements in some games, minor sexism (got through it though so it wasn't too bad), heavy political themes, some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Half-Life, although uncompleted is one heck of a ride. It all starts with a silly little lab incident creating a interdimensional rift but escalates into imperialistic alien creatures taking over earth and establishing a totalitarian government and you, the player, helping lead a rebellion against these unfeeling cruel creatures. The vibes and the atmosphere alone are very immersive and you end up feeling like you're in this dark and hopeless world, but with you, you bring hope to the others around you and help fight back. I'm not even big on shooters but the worldbuilding and occasional puzzles in this game had me deeply immersed and I couldn't put it down! And good thing is these are dirt cheap on steam because of how old they are and often go on sale as well! If you plan on playing this one I recommend you do it blind, I think its best experienced that way. Series content warning: war themes, violence and gore (it is not as bad as modern video games can be due to graphical limitations), horror themes including some infrequent jumpscares and body horror, disaster and apocalyptic themes.

I think that's all I've got for obscure fandoms. I would tell more people to get into Star Wars as well, but people either are already into it or get annoyed when asked to get into it lol.
I can't speak for the fan bases because I don't interact with fandom communities much anymore, but I feel like Metal Gear and Half-Life deserve more love these days. I wasn't old enough to play them when they first came out and only got the chance to recently but I think people are sleeping on these games currently and I'm surprised. You don't have to play them yourself, at least a playthrough will do. Everyone knows these games but I haven't met many people who've actually played them or know their entire stories.

Metal Gear was a really awesome and inventive game for its time and still holds up relatively well (besides a couple dated moments and words). Despite their military aesthetic they are actually very much about how war is bad and how the industrial war complex will keep it going because of greed. Snake is originally a pawn in war but eventually breaks away from this and becomes someone who actively fights the system because he realizes how wrong it is. Also these games were some of the first that had a pacifist route! While the games can be goofy and over the top on the surface level, think if you merged both the tropes of western action movies and anime, the themes they talk about are very real, how messed up war can be and how it can turn people who could be friends against each other, and how technology, AI, and the internet will change history, for better or worse. Also I found many of the characters in these games likable, even the villains are charming in their own ways. Series content warnings: violence, war themes, sexual themes (but no visual stuff), minor horror elements in some games, minor sexism (got through it though so it wasn't too bad), heavy political themes, some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Half-Life, although uncompleted is one heck of a ride. It all starts with a silly little lab incident creating a interdimensional rift but escalates into imperialistic alien creatures taking over earth and establishing a totalitarian government and you, the player, helping lead a rebellion against these unfeeling cruel creatures. The vibes and the atmosphere alone are very immersive and you end up feeling like you're in this dark and hopeless world, but with you, you bring hope to the others around you and help fight back. I'm not even big on shooters but the worldbuilding and occasional puzzles in this game had me deeply immersed and I couldn't put it down! And good thing is these are dirt cheap on steam because of how old they are and often go on sale as well! If you plan on playing this one I recommend you do it blind, I think its best experienced that way. Series content warning: war themes, violence and gore (it is not as bad as modern video games can be due to graphical limitations), horror themes including some infrequent jumpscares and body horror, disaster and apocalyptic themes.

I think that's all I've got for obscure fandoms. I would tell more people to get into Star Wars as well, but people either are already into it or get annoyed when asked to get into it lol.
She/Her 24
Big Dragon Nerd
I only ever get obsessed with media that's at least 10 years old for some reason.
Artist and Writer
come join transformers, we have gay giant robots and action
come join transformers, we have gay giant robots and action
megastar 4 ever whooo!!!
3a0YNzz.png aesq82D.gif
baldur's gate has everything. everything,. shadowheart is my best friend. every single NPC has a name and possibly a sidequest. do you like sidequests? rolling dice? staring fondly at your NPC companions? actually seeing LGBTQ representation that feels natural? looking to lose at least 100 hours of your life? baldur's gate. thank you for your time
baldur's gate has everything. everything,. shadowheart is my best friend. every single NPC has a name and possibly a sidequest. do you like sidequests? rolling dice? staring fondly at your NPC companions? actually seeing LGBTQ representation that feels natural? looking to lose at least 100 hours of your life? baldur's gate. thank you for your time
nC079FU.gif
FObX7rS.png
TO5f5vS.png
QUIpVFE.png
Al1BEGR.png
b1d9d7038ed5f6df160810683bbdaaad19236e65.png
1 2 3