Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Video essay enthusiasts?
1 2 3
I'm working through the newest hbomberguy video on plagarism (there is... a LOT going on), and it's really good! It's got me wondering if there are any other good video essays some of y'all enjoy that I'm not familiar with! I'm always on the lookout for good essays to watch in the background while I work on other things :)
I'm working through the newest hbomberguy video on plagarism (there is... a LOT going on), and it's really good! It's got me wondering if there are any other good video essays some of y'all enjoy that I'm not familiar with! I'm always on the lookout for good essays to watch in the background while I work on other things :)
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png
wind.gif you-WILL-look-at-my-fursona.png
Hello, I know plenty of good video essayists, mostly about media I like. I need to watch the hbomberguy video but I know what it lays out. I need to go look at his evidence…
Hello, I know plenty of good video essayists, mostly about media I like. I need to watch the hbomberguy video but I know what it lays out. I need to go look at his evidence…
zdkBiZa.png
video essays are awesome!! i love using them as bg noise. anything that's got my interest is a target

i watched hbomberguy's videos, and they're all so good. the "measured response" vids gotta be my favorite (and also the oof's origins one. i keep thinking about the"it's now my mission to kill tommy talerico" meme from time to time, lol)
video essays are awesome!! i love using them as bg noise. anything that's got my interest is a target

i watched hbomberguy's videos, and they're all so good. the "measured response" vids gotta be my favorite (and also the oof's origins one. i keep thinking about the"it's now my mission to kill tommy talerico" meme from time to time, lol)
ZcrsSbC.png
I really enjoy video essays! especially the ones that do a deep dive analysis into media. I'm picky, though, so I tend to only watch a select few creators.
recommendations... let's see. I'm mostly a fan of Dorked (mostly Undertale/Deltarune, sometimes Kingdom Hearts or other content), Blameitonjorge (lost media and real-life mysteries, warning for not-safe-for-FR content), and Summoning Salt (speedrun history, warning for occasional language and mild not-safe-for-FR content). Game Theory is also always fun to listen to.
I really enjoy video essays! especially the ones that do a deep dive analysis into media. I'm picky, though, so I tend to only watch a select few creators.
recommendations... let's see. I'm mostly a fan of Dorked (mostly Undertale/Deltarune, sometimes Kingdom Hearts or other content), Blameitonjorge (lost media and real-life mysteries, warning for not-safe-for-FR content), and Summoning Salt (speedrun history, warning for occasional language and mild not-safe-for-FR content). Game Theory is also always fun to listen to.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
I'm literally listening to that hbomberguy one right now [emoji=skull size=1] And, dang... one of the guys in here I used to really like </3 oh well. Lately I've been rewatching LEMMiNO's videos (the JFK assassination one, the D B Cooper one, and the MH flight 370 one). planet clue has a fun, silly one going over [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHU9m90VLU]the entire timeline of Tamagotchi toys.[/url] Defunctland is a personal favorite, of course, alongside BobbyBroccoli. jan misali has one on [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3yD3WAcz4]the whole backstory behind Caramelldansen[/url] and it's surprisingly interesting. Does have a lot of flashing lights and bright colors though because the later videos the people put out are... extremely 2000s. Even though they came out in like 2020.
I'm literally listening to that hbomberguy one right now And, dang... one of the guys in here I used to really like </3 oh well.

Lately I've been rewatching LEMMiNO's videos (the JFK assassination one, the D B Cooper one, and the MH flight 370 one).

planet clue has a fun, silly one going over the entire timeline of Tamagotchi toys.

Defunctland is a personal favorite, of course, alongside BobbyBroccoli. jan misali has one on the whole backstory behind Caramelldansen and it's surprisingly interesting. Does have a lot of flashing lights and bright colors though because the later videos the people put out are... extremely 2000s. Even though they came out in like 2020.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
[quote name="colorscapes" date="2023-12-04 09:31:54" ] i watched hbomberguy's videos, and they're all so good. the "measured response" vids gotta be my favorite (and also the oof's origins one. i keep thinking about the"it's now my mission to kill tommy talerico" meme from time to time, lol) [/quote] I'm actually rewatching hbomberguy's Roblox OOF video now, since I just finished his newest one and I really do love his videos! I find it funny how this video feels like a direct antithesis to another one of my favorite video essays (Defunctland's Disney Channel Jingle documentary). A man who received no credit for his amazing work vs. a man who knew nothing except how to take credit from others. [quote name="LouckyKoneko" date="2023-12-04 09:38:24" ] I really enjoy video essays! especially the ones that do a deep dive analysis into media. I'm picky, though, so I tend to only watch a select few creators. recommendations... let's see. I'm mostly a fan of Dorked (mostly Undertale/Deltarune, sometimes Kingdom Hearts or other content), Blameitonjorge (lost media and real-life mysteries, warning for not-safe-for-FR content), and Summoning Salt (speedrun history, warning for occasional language and mild not-safe-for-FR content). Game Theory is also always fun to listen to. [/quote] I'll admit that speedrunning essays didn't really interest me until I saw Summoning Salt's "Super Mario Bros: The Human Limit." Such a good video, even if you're not interested in speedrunning all that much like I am.
colorscapes wrote on 2023-12-04 09:31:54:
I'm actually rewatching hbomberguy's Roblox OOF video now, since I just finished his newest one and I really do love his videos! I find it funny how this video feels like a direct antithesis to another one of my favorite video essays (Defunctland's Disney Channel Jingle documentary). A man who received no credit for his amazing work vs. a man who knew nothing except how to take credit from others.

LouckyKoneko wrote on 2023-12-04 09:38:24:
I'll admit that speedrunning essays didn't really interest me until I saw Summoning Salt's "Super Mario Bros: The Human Limit." Such a good video, even if you're not interested in speedrunning all that much like I am.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
[quote name="DeathbyPixelz" date="2023-12-04 09:45:42" ] I'm literally listening to that hbomberguy one right now [emoji=skull size=1] And, dang... one of the guys in here I used to really like </3 oh well. Lately I've been rewatching LEMMiNO's videos (the JFK assassination one, the D B Cooper one, and the MH flight 370 one). planet clue has a fun, silly one going over [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHU9m90VLU]the entire timeline of Tamagotchi toys.[/url] Defunctland is a personal favorite, of course, alongside BobbyBroccoli. jan misali has one on [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3yD3WAcz4]the whole backstory behind Caramelldansen[/url] and it's surprisingly interesting. Does have a lot of flashing lights and bright colors though because the later videos the people put out are... extremely 2000s. Even though they came out in like 2020. [/quote] You're not alone, I was also a (former) fan of one of the creators featured in that video. Hurts, but now I know. I love LEMMiNO! As with many, my favorite is probably the Cicada 3301 video, both for the content of the video and the music composed for it, but I also love the ones on Jack the Ripper, Roanoke, an D.B. Cooper. I have a LOT of appreciation for the visual effects he does for his videos, they're so clean.
DeathbyPixelz wrote on 2023-12-04 09:45:42:
I'm literally listening to that hbomberguy one right now And, dang... one of the guys in here I used to really like </3 oh well.

Lately I've been rewatching LEMMiNO's videos (the JFK assassination one, the D B Cooper one, and the MH flight 370 one).

planet clue has a fun, silly one going over the entire timeline of Tamagotchi toys.

Defunctland is a personal favorite, of course, alongside BobbyBroccoli. jan misali has one on the whole backstory behind Caramelldansen and it's surprisingly interesting. Does have a lot of flashing lights and bright colors though because the later videos the people put out are... extremely 2000s. Even though they came out in like 2020.

You're not alone, I was also a (former) fan of one of the creators featured in that video. Hurts, but now I know.

I love LEMMiNO! As with many, my favorite is probably the Cicada 3301 video, both for the content of the video and the music composed for it, but I also love the ones on Jack the Ripper, Roanoke, an D.B. Cooper. I have a LOT of appreciation for the visual effects he does for his videos, they're so clean.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
I caught that video like 30 minutes after he dropped it and good lord i did NOT get enough sleep that night. Todd In The Shadows just came out with ANOTHER essay debunking a lot of Somerton's factual errors and this is just nuts to me. If you've got him making something like this, you've messed UP. Hbomb has been a fave of mine for a while (ESPECIALLY his vaccines video) and I'm so so glad he was able to point this out to people.

Abigail Thorn/Philosophy Tube goes without saying. Jacob Geller is an absolute favorite of mine, particularly his vids on capital punishment, Returnal, and Control/Anatomy! May Leitz/Nyx Fears is fantastic too (especially for my horror freaks out there), and her writing advice video has helped me a lot. I'm not sure if he fits into the standard video essayist mold, but Frederik Knudsen/Down The Rabbit Hole has some really neat stuff, including a new six hour (!) video on EVE Online. I also really enjoy Kaz Rowe's histoical deep dives!
I caught that video like 30 minutes after he dropped it and good lord i did NOT get enough sleep that night. Todd In The Shadows just came out with ANOTHER essay debunking a lot of Somerton's factual errors and this is just nuts to me. If you've got him making something like this, you've messed UP. Hbomb has been a fave of mine for a while (ESPECIALLY his vaccines video) and I'm so so glad he was able to point this out to people.

Abigail Thorn/Philosophy Tube goes without saying. Jacob Geller is an absolute favorite of mine, particularly his vids on capital punishment, Returnal, and Control/Anatomy! May Leitz/Nyx Fears is fantastic too (especially for my horror freaks out there), and her writing advice video has helped me a lot. I'm not sure if he fits into the standard video essayist mold, but Frederik Knudsen/Down The Rabbit Hole has some really neat stuff, including a new six hour (!) video on EVE Online. I also really enjoy Kaz Rowe's histoical deep dives!
tumblr_nj881zEgtm1qbol1ao1_400.png
he/him // ER critter
I wasn't going to watch hbomberguy's essay because it's four hours long and I don't generally watch his stuff (even though I know he's pretty highly regarded in the video essay scene) but reading through this thread - hm? James Somerton? Well now I need this tea. I actually stopped watching him for a somewhat petty reason (he said "App developers don't need critical thinking skills" in one of his videos. Guess what my actual real life job is.) I actually really enjoyed his take on Attack on Titan, but scanning through the video, I see that's an entire section! Well, now a good reason to take my petty dislike into a full dislike.

As for other essayists, Jacob Geller and Dan Olson (Folding Ideas) are my favorite. Extremely high quality videos every time. I also like Austin McConnell, who does a lot of light hearted topics and obscure superheroes.
I wasn't going to watch hbomberguy's essay because it's four hours long and I don't generally watch his stuff (even though I know he's pretty highly regarded in the video essay scene) but reading through this thread - hm? James Somerton? Well now I need this tea. I actually stopped watching him for a somewhat petty reason (he said "App developers don't need critical thinking skills" in one of his videos. Guess what my actual real life job is.) I actually really enjoyed his take on Attack on Titan, but scanning through the video, I see that's an entire section! Well, now a good reason to take my petty dislike into a full dislike.

As for other essayists, Jacob Geller and Dan Olson (Folding Ideas) are my favorite. Extremely high quality videos every time. I also like Austin McConnell, who does a lot of light hearted topics and obscure superheroes.
Great recommendations in here already. I'm gonna throw one into the mix who is rarely mentioned: Willie Muse. He discusses a variety of topics (usually bad movies) in a hilariously deadpan tone. Great humour, but also good plenty of good points about serious topics.
Great recommendations in here already. I'm gonna throw one into the mix who is rarely mentioned: Willie Muse. He discusses a variety of topics (usually bad movies) in a hilariously deadpan tone. Great humour, but also good plenty of good points about serious topics.
1 2 3