Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Video essay enthusiasts?
1 2 3
[quote name="Pheonyx" date="2023-12-04 12:07:26" ] I wasn't going to watch hbomberguy's essay because it's four hours long and I don't generally watch his stuff (even though I know he's pretty highly regarded in the video essay scene) but reading through this thread - hm? James Somerton? Well now I need this tea. [/quote] @Pheonyx If you want the tea without investing 4 hours, the TDLR is James Somerton (along with many other YouTubers, but the massive majority of the video is dedicated to him) was found to be a massive plagiarist. A frightening majority of his content was taken from multiple queer authors, many of whom received little to no recognition for their work while James regurgitated their writings word-for-word and reaped all the credit without ever mentioning their names (unless he got caught. Then he adds a tiny footnote in his video descriptions). HBomberGuy points this out near the end of the video, but it's a massive stab in the gut that a man who preached about the extinction of queer media is obscuring these queer authors out of self interest. If the ethics of plagiarism pique your interest at all, I HIGHLY recommend giving a watch, even if it's something you put on in the background.
Pheonyx wrote on 2023-12-04 12:07:26:
I wasn't going to watch hbomberguy's essay because it's four hours long and I don't generally watch his stuff (even though I know he's pretty highly regarded in the video essay scene) but reading through this thread - hm? James Somerton? Well now I need this tea.
@Pheonyx If you want the tea without investing 4 hours, the TDLR is James Somerton (along with many other YouTubers, but the massive majority of the video is dedicated to him) was found to be a massive plagiarist. A frightening majority of his content was taken from multiple queer authors, many of whom received little to no recognition for their work while James regurgitated their writings word-for-word and reaped all the credit without ever mentioning their names (unless he got caught. Then he adds a tiny footnote in his video descriptions). HBomberGuy points this out near the end of the video, but it's a massive stab in the gut that a man who preached about the extinction of queer media is obscuring these queer authors out of self interest.

If the ethics of plagiarism pique your interest at all, I HIGHLY recommend giving a watch, even if it's something you put on in the background.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png
wind.gif you-WILL-look-at-my-fursona.png
One of my favorites is The Conflicting Ideas of Hayao Miyazaki which is definitely specific to him but is super interesting regardless of how much you know about the director :)
One of my favorites is The Conflicting Ideas of Hayao Miyazaki which is definitely specific to him but is super interesting regardless of how much you know about the director :)
d63a147190f3ccf05d664ab9b9287ad9133236bc.png > Kori's Kloset
> Daily Gratitudes
dont have a particular video to share but one youtuber i enjoy watching is Shanspeare! i love their videos c:
dont have a particular video to share but one youtuber i enjoy watching is Shanspeare! i love their videos c:
zB19SBJ.png8fBnDGq.pngtumblr_inline_pk7sfnQusu1tp8wp9_1280.png
[quote name="LouckyKoneko" date="2023-12-04 09:38:24" ]and Summoning Salt (speedrun history, warning for occasional language and mild not-safe-for-FR content). [/quote] [quote name="DeathbyPixelz" date="2023-12-04 09:45:42" ] planet clue has a fun, silly one going over [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHU9m90VLU]the entire timeline of Tamagotchi toys.[/url] [/quote] i can vouch for these being good channels idk if i can recommend aynthing on my own because i have no idea what the term video essay means anymore.. i guess ceave perspective, a side channel to ceave gaming if you know him, he likes to go on giant tangents though to express his point and maybe some people wouldnt be a fun of that? and at this point channels like liam triforce, raycevick, uhh there was more i could think of
LouckyKoneko wrote on 2023-12-04 09:38:24:
and Summoning Salt (speedrun history, warning for occasional language and mild not-safe-for-FR content).
DeathbyPixelz wrote on 2023-12-04 09:45:42:
planet clue has a fun, silly one going over the entire timeline of Tamagotchi toys.
i can vouch for these being good channels

idk if i can recommend aynthing on my own because i have no idea what the term video essay means anymore.. i guess ceave perspective, a side channel to ceave gaming if you know him, he likes to go on giant tangents though to express his point and maybe some people wouldnt be a fun of that? and at this point channels like liam triforce, raycevick, uhh there was more i could think of
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
I LOVE video essays
I LOVE video essays
z3ouQq5.gif 1lYv7yK.png
rK7soRR.png
N2y2KFS.png
"A dubious little CREATURE getting up to MISCHIEF. This is No Good. The Beast is demonic in nature. Very Icky, no good."
I too love video essays. I found this one guy who did one about the use of dream spaces in movies, pretty fascinating. Unfortunately, I swear I can never remember specific youtubers, but if you search it up, you could probably find him.
I too love video essays. I found this one guy who did one about the use of dream spaces in movies, pretty fascinating. Unfortunately, I swear I can never remember specific youtubers, but if you search it up, you could probably find him.
Clara the Blaziken, She/Her, 2+ Fr time, Professional Idiot :))))
If you like super in-depth game reviews, and I mean multiple multiple hours, I would recommend Action Button. I personally have not watched them, but I have sat next to my SO while they watch it.
If you like super in-depth game reviews, and I mean multiple multiple hours, I would recommend Action Button. I personally have not watched them, but I have sat next to my SO while they watch it.
SxG7Whx.png TO5f5vS.pngWn6vGC1.png
J8QoPxT.pngmlHpBMC.png
spr01s5.pngbM4dOKD.png
current favorite video essays ever are

Disney Channel's Theme: A History Mystery GO WATCH IT NOW!!!

TALLADEGA: Nascar's Most Feared Track (it's about more than cars i promise, i don't even care about nascar and i couldn't stop thinking about this one)

My Strange Obsession With Gaming Elevators

video essayist channels i love in general are: Defunctland, Strange Æons, Mike's Mic (hilarious lol), Izzzyzzz, Wendigoon, Jenny Nicholson, CJ the X
current favorite video essays ever are

Disney Channel's Theme: A History Mystery GO WATCH IT NOW!!!

TALLADEGA: Nascar's Most Feared Track (it's about more than cars i promise, i don't even care about nascar and i couldn't stop thinking about this one)

My Strange Obsession With Gaming Elevators

video essayist channels i love in general are: Defunctland, Strange Æons, Mike's Mic (hilarious lol), Izzzyzzz, Wendigoon, Jenny Nicholson, CJ the X
CYT4VFx.png
video essays are SUCH a fun way of displaying information the main video essayist i watch is izzzyzzz, i like the deep dives they do about some of my childhood media

i did watch hbomberguy's oof video part through and plan on finishing it someday, the tamogatchi video has been on my recommended for a while and it has caught my eye
video essays are SUCH a fun way of displaying information the main video essayist i watch is izzzyzzz, i like the deep dives they do about some of my childhood media

i did watch hbomberguy's oof video part through and plan on finishing it someday, the tamogatchi video has been on my recommended for a while and it has caught my eye
she doesnt even know
basic math--->
XSQWCA5.gif 3CzZFT6.png
- she/her
- please ping
in reply+quote
klfGHc7.png67-E654-DE-BBB7-441-C-BAE1-F4-EDB05-BC922.png
Shame no one has mentioned action button lol

He talks about video games and just his very strange life. Really recommend his latest video it makes me feel emotions.
Shame no one has mentioned action button lol

He talks about video games and just his very strange life. Really recommend his latest video it makes me feel emotions.
b475fdbf7abba9d7392a9af135ba67132dcc1c0f.gif

guy / +2 FRT / 25
forum pings on
1 2 3