Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gene Name Changes
1 2 3 4 5
Support. The current solution is... that's something I would totally do. Because i have no idea what I'm doing and would go ''well it's counterintuitive but i don't know what im doing"

It's not a good look if I'm finding a choice relatable
Support. The current solution is... that's something I would totally do. Because i have no idea what I'm doing and would go ''well it's counterintuitive but i don't know what im doing"

It's not a good look if I'm finding a choice relatable
Support! I've always wondered why they don't have that filter in the AH. The other suggestion you quoted makes sense to me too. I feel like just verbally it sounds more streamlined in my opinion.
Support! I've always wondered why they don't have that filter in the AH. The other suggestion you quoted makes sense to me too. I feel like just verbally it sounds more streamlined in my opinion.
I7a1ndF.png
I firmly believe this is a bandaid fix and the whole system would be much better served by having only 2 types of genes: modern and ancient.

Just have a pop up or even some sort of item icon indicating which breeds it affects (maybe have the game database entry accessible from any item icon not just those in your hoard)—anything but 80 bajillion different ancient genes. Even if these suggestions aren't the way 80 million gene variations cannot be it. I'm sorry, that's ridiculous.

Anyone who cites confusion over what applies to what—it's already confusing!! Adding an extra word will not change that for me / many other players. The drop down by breed / modern only is the easiest fix for now but I've been on the site for close to a decade and still can't keep track of all the genes each breed does or doesn't have—I only find out by going to scrying workshop. So by the time I'm going to the AH it's still easy to misclick even with a rename. And with accessibility in mind, the less typing and accuracy (drop downs) required the better. So I stand firm that the whole system just needs to be simplified as an urgent priority.

DO NOT PING ME
ABOUT THIS; you will not change my mind.
I firmly believe this is a bandaid fix and the whole system would be much better served by having only 2 types of genes: modern and ancient.

Just have a pop up or even some sort of item icon indicating which breeds it affects (maybe have the game database entry accessible from any item icon not just those in your hoard)—anything but 80 bajillion different ancient genes. Even if these suggestions aren't the way 80 million gene variations cannot be it. I'm sorry, that's ridiculous.

Anyone who cites confusion over what applies to what—it's already confusing!! Adding an extra word will not change that for me / many other players. The drop down by breed / modern only is the easiest fix for now but I've been on the site for close to a decade and still can't keep track of all the genes each breed does or doesn't have—I only find out by going to scrying workshop. So by the time I'm going to the AH it's still easy to misclick even with a rename. And with accessibility in mind, the less typing and accuracy (drop downs) required the better. So I stand firm that the whole system just needs to be simplified as an urgent priority.

DO NOT PING ME
ABOUT THIS; you will not change my mind.
HdmxfuE.png
KYSFCiZ.png
eswSnrS.png
yQ62HIx.png
Need a Light nest?

Always happy to host for food / junk apparel / Baldwin
materials when I have space!
LOR2.png
I think the proposed 'official' fix is a good first step, but I can't see myself using that new way of searching too often. I don't really... Know. What certain breed of dragons are called. Like gun to my head, I cannot write 'Auraboa' in a search bar, I'd need to look it up first. Which wouldn't matter if I'm trying to buy the modern version of the gene, but if I want the one for the Random New Breed Whose Name I Forgot, well... I'd rather have a drop down menu as suggested.
I think the proposed 'official' fix is a good first step, but I can't see myself using that new way of searching too often. I don't really... Know. What certain breed of dragons are called. Like gun to my head, I cannot write 'Auraboa' in a search bar, I'd need to look it up first. Which wouldn't matter if I'm trying to buy the modern version of the gene, but if I want the one for the Random New Breed Whose Name I Forgot, well... I'd rather have a drop down menu as suggested.
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
Looks like the method has started getting implemented for some breeds. Let's get this back on page 1...
Looks like the method has started getting implemented for some breeds. Let's get this back on page 1...
fo11Vhp.png
Supporting again now they're going ahead with it because this truly literally makes it more of a nuisance to search for genes lmao. I have to type MORE now. This doesn't really help me much.
Supporting again now they're going ahead with it because this truly literally makes it more of a nuisance to search for genes lmao. I have to type MORE now. This doesn't really help me much.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
@Undel I know pinging isn't the way to go here but since this looks like a change you're making entirely by hand I just wanna toss a ping into the wind to make sure this was ruled out to avoid the possibility of changing all the names, seeing this and implementing this, and having to change them all again
@Undel I know pinging isn't the way to go here but since this looks like a change you're making entirely by hand I just wanna toss a ping into the wind to make sure this was ruled out to avoid the possibility of changing all the names, seeing this and implementing this, and having to change them all again
fo11Vhp.png
Yeah this is worse,,, before the update I could search just aether (or, well, aeth) and get only breed change scrolls. Now If I search aether/aeth, I get all aether genes as well. This a big step backwards seeing as it requires longer searches to get what you want and doesn't make it easier. It's just more annoying to narrow searches down by typing the entire thing out.
Yeah this is worse,,, before the update I could search just aether (or, well, aeth) and get only breed change scrolls. Now If I search aether/aeth, I get all aether genes as well. This a big step backwards seeing as it requires longer searches to get what you want and doesn't make it easier. It's just more annoying to narrow searches down by typing the entire thing out.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
@Winterrox66 I have this [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3292243] tool[/url] that may come in handy for reformatting stuff when everything has been changed. I usually type the gene names in MP and AH and have autocomplete find me the gene I need, and use Ctrl+F to find some gene listings in AH. But with this new update, the most effective way on searching genes in AH seem to be copy and pasting the whole gene name or clicking the green book icon then the money bag icon. It makes less sense now to type it all out. (especially for users like me that make typos a lot! It's slow) I support this! [list] [*]Seeing the filter is already in MP, furthermore there's a breed filter when you look at other sections of AH like [b]Skins[/b], it should be not too hard to add a breed filter for genes (and a no-category option for non-gene specialty items like Eye Vials and others). I assume there's already a variable within the coding that specifies which ancient gene is for which breed so we couldn't use an Auraboa gene on a Gaoler. [*]The suggestion to make Genes their own category also works to this extent! The categories are already separated in MP, why not do the same for AH? [emoji=bogsneak confused size=1] [*]Or just add "Modern" like many others have said. [/list]
@Winterrox66 I have this tool that may come in handy for reformatting stuff when everything has been changed.

I usually type the gene names in MP and AH and have autocomplete find me the gene I need, and use Ctrl+F to find some gene listings in AH. But with this new update, the most effective way on searching genes in AH seem to be copy and pasting the whole gene name or clicking the green book icon then the money bag icon. It makes less sense now to type it all out. (especially for users like me that make typos a lot! It's slow)

I support this!
  • Seeing the filter is already in MP, furthermore there's a breed filter when you look at other sections of AH like Skins, it should be not too hard to add a breed filter for genes (and a no-category option for non-gene specialty items like Eye Vials and others). I assume there's already a variable within the coding that specifies which ancient gene is for which breed so we couldn't use an Auraboa gene on a Gaoler.
  • The suggestion to make Genes their own category also works to this extent! The categories are already separated in MP, why not do the same for AH?
  • Or just add "Modern" like many others have said.
OoOooOo! Spooky text~
Okay, as Undertides get the update too, I think we need to talk about it more.

Support for the "(Modern)" addition and dropdown suggestions.

As it has already mentioned in several similar threads and topics and here too, dropdowns like in Marketplace will make it a lot easier. You just click the breed you need, write the name of the gene and the needed gene is shown. That's all.

In Marketplace it works great, so it will in GE and AH.

Adding (Modern) to the Modern gene names will help to filter it better if the dropdown is really a problem to add.
Because it helps at least filter the Ancient genes from breed to breed, so it will help to filter Modern genes from Ancient genes.
Okay, as Undertides get the update too, I think we need to talk about it more.

Support for the "(Modern)" addition and dropdown suggestions.

As it has already mentioned in several similar threads and topics and here too, dropdowns like in Marketplace will make it a lot easier. You just click the breed you need, write the name of the gene and the needed gene is shown. That's all.

In Marketplace it works great, so it will in GE and AH.

Adding (Modern) to the Modern gene names will help to filter it better if the dropdown is really a problem to add.
Because it helps at least filter the Ancient genes from breed to breed, so it will help to filter Modern genes from Ancient genes.
natureshieldl.png 84465750p.png 71e09b42cae1da0e3bce33c48764c15f1b5af3ac.png
fP0089X.png
xCVbB5p.pngrix3ppo.png
1 2 3 4 5