Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gene Name Changes
1 2 3 4 5
Alright, I put this in the Rockbreaker post because it was mentioned there initially but I felt I should make this suggestion before they get fully into this change (quoting it here for posterity). [br] [quote name="Earthshaker" date="2023-11-26 05:55:25" ] [size=4][b]Ancient Gene Scroll Naming Changes[/b][/size] [emoji=ancient size=1] We wanted to provide everyone with a heads-up regarding an upcoming change to the naming scheme for Ancient genes. Before the end of the year, the naming schemes on Ancient gene scrolls will be changing to better facilitate item searches on the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/auction-house]Auction House[/url] and in the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database]Game Database[/url]. Currently, if a player types in [i]"Primary Gene: Fade"[/i] into the search bar of the Auction House or Game Database, they will return results for: [LIST] [*]Primary Gene: Fade [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Aberration) [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Aether) [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Auraboa) [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Banescale) [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Gaoler) [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Sandsurge) [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Undertide) [*]Primary Gene: Fade (Veilspun) [/LIST] This can make it very difficult to find results for the modern version of the gene, and provides no easy way to see all genes available for the primary, secondary, or tertiary of a given Ancient. In the coming weeks, we will be updating the naming scheme of Ancient genes from [center][b]Primary Gene: Fade (Aberration)[/b] to [b]Primary Aberration Gene: Fade[/b][/center] This will enable players to [b]search exclusively for the modern genes in the Auction House and Game Database with no cross-pollination of Ancient gene results[/b] by typing [i]"Primary Gene: Fade"[/i]. (Note that simply searching for [i]"fade"[/i] would still return results for all items with fade in its name.) It will also enable players who want to see all genes available for a given Ancient by type. Players could type [i]"Primary Aberration"[/i] and all results for primary genes for Aberration dragons would be returned. Changing the naming schemes of the genes will have the unfortunate side-effect of breaking existing item codes for Ancient genes in forum posts and biographies, as these items will no longer have the specific name they had previously. Database widgets and database links would remain unaffected. As an example: [code][item=Primary Gene: Fade (Aberration)][/code] would no longer work, and would need to be updated to the following, or it would no longer display: [code][item=Primary Aberration Gene: Fade][/code] We have additional plans for addressing the large quantity of Ancient gene items across the site that we will be working on in the future. However, we hope that this change will benefit our players more immediately in their efforts to search for specific genes in the Auction House and Game Database! [/quote] [br][br] While I appreciate this, 90% of the time people are going to be looking for a specific gene instead of all genes associated with a certain breed (and even if they are, my solution would work for that as well). I think it would be much better to just add the dropdown you have in the marketplace to the auction house. [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/uAHzPVy.png[/img][/center] So we can select the dragon we want genes for and they just show up. And it doesn't break anyone's existing links or anything like that. You also already have the infrastucture in place for it making it even easier to implement since it's the same code just in a different place. If there's a reason this can't be done, I'd love to know, honestly. But I really do hope this gets considered. [br][br] Another good suggestion I wouldn't mind seeing along with my original since it works with how most of us search (using minimal information) https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3292293/2#post_55587991 [quote name="ThistleProse" date="2023-11-27 02:07:36" ] I would LOVE the dropdown in the AH and in the Hoard/Vault But also, I think that hte name setup would better work as: "Primary Auraboa Gene: Fade" "Primary Gene Auraboa: Fade" "Primary Gene Undertide: Fade" "Primary Gene: Fade" Because then we can search for: tide: Fade ;; gene: fade;; Boa: Fade Which is far more inline with most folks' current search methods, than forcing to write 'auraboa gene: whatever" [/quote]
Alright, I put this in the Rockbreaker post because it was mentioned there initially but I felt I should make this suggestion before they get fully into this change (quoting it here for posterity).

Earthshaker wrote on 2023-11-26 05:55:25:
Ancient Gene Scroll Naming Changes
We wanted to provide everyone with a heads-up regarding an upcoming change to the naming scheme for Ancient genes. Before the end of the year, the naming schemes on Ancient gene scrolls will be changing to better facilitate item searches on the Auction House and in the Game Database.

Currently, if a player types in "Primary Gene: Fade" into the search bar of the Auction House or Game Database, they will return results for:
  • Primary Gene: Fade
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Aberration)
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Aether)
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Auraboa)
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Banescale)
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Gaoler)
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Sandsurge)
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Undertide)
  • Primary Gene: Fade (Veilspun)

This can make it very difficult to find results for the modern version of the gene, and provides no easy way to see all genes available for the primary, secondary, or tertiary of a given Ancient.

In the coming weeks, we will be updating the naming scheme of Ancient genes from
Primary Gene: Fade (Aberration) to Primary Aberration Gene: Fade

This will enable players to search exclusively for the modern genes in the Auction House and Game Database with no cross-pollination of Ancient gene results by typing "Primary Gene: Fade". (Note that simply searching for "fade" would still return results for all items with fade in its name.) It will also enable players who want to see all genes available for a given Ancient by type. Players could type "Primary Aberration" and all results for primary genes for Aberration dragons would be returned.

Changing the naming schemes of the genes will have the unfortunate side-effect of breaking existing item codes for Ancient genes in forum posts and biographies, as these items will no longer have the specific name they had previously. Database widgets and database links would remain unaffected. As an example:
Code:
[item=Primary Gene: Fade (Aberration)]
would no longer work, and would need to be updated to the following, or it would no longer display:
Code:
[item=Primary Aberration Gene: Fade]

We have additional plans for addressing the large quantity of Ancient gene items across the site that we will be working on in the future. However, we hope that this change will benefit our players more immediately in their efforts to search for specific genes in the Auction House and Game Database!

While I appreciate this, 90% of the time people are going to be looking for a specific gene instead of all genes associated with a certain breed (and even if they are, my solution would work for that as well). I think it would be much better to just add the dropdown you have in the marketplace to the auction house.
uAHzPVy.png
So we can select the dragon we want genes for and they just show up. And it doesn't break anyone's existing links or anything like that.
You also already have the infrastucture in place for it making it even easier to implement since it's the same code just in a different place.
If there's a reason this can't be done, I'd love to know, honestly. But I really do hope this gets considered.

Another good suggestion I wouldn't mind seeing along with my original since it works with how most of us search (using minimal information)

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3292293/2#post_55587991
ThistleProse wrote on 2023-11-27 02:07:36:
I would LOVE the dropdown in the AH and in the Hoard/Vault

But also, I think that hte name setup would better work as:

"Primary Auraboa Gene: Fade"

"Primary Gene Auraboa: Fade"
"Primary Gene Undertide: Fade"
"Primary Gene: Fade"

Because then we can search for:

tide: Fade ;; gene: fade;; Boa: Fade

Which is far more inline with most folks' current search methods, than forcing to write 'auraboa gene: whatever"
gs8As9u.png
Big support! I appreciate the changes but the dropdown is a much better streamlined way to do this.
Big support! I appreciate the changes but the dropdown is a much better streamlined way to do this.
fo11Vhp.png
Support! I think this would do exactly what they're trying to while honestly being more effective. It's a preference, of course, but if I'm searching up Auraboa Fade, for example, I'd much rather be able to type "Fade" in the search bar and select Auraboa from a dropdown, rather than having to type "Primary Auraboa Gene: Fade" to get the result I'm looking for. The only hiccup I can see is the fact that, unlike the Marketplace having a separate Genes section, the Auction House still lumps genes under the "Specialty" tab. Admittedly, while I can appreciate the long-term benefits, I'm also not thrilled with the prospect of having to update so much of my forum/bio code to reflect the gene name changes. It's a personal gripe, obviously, but I wonder if staff has also considered the fact that all of their old Ancient announcement and gene posts are either going to have broken code or need to be updated. [emoji=gaoler scared size=1]
Support! I think this would do exactly what they're trying to while honestly being more effective.

It's a preference, of course, but if I'm searching up Auraboa Fade, for example, I'd much rather be able to type "Fade" in the search bar and select Auraboa from a dropdown, rather than having to type "Primary Auraboa Gene: Fade" to get the result I'm looking for. The only hiccup I can see is the fact that, unlike the Marketplace having a separate Genes section, the Auction House still lumps genes under the "Specialty" tab.

Admittedly, while I can appreciate the long-term benefits, I'm also not thrilled with the prospect of having to update so much of my forum/bio code to reflect the gene name changes. It's a personal gripe, obviously, but I wonder if staff has also considered the fact that all of their old Ancient announcement and gene posts are either going to have broken code or need to be updated.
295275f44e36622cbdd25bbe1f587f69b7f98d6d.png
Support! This would be so much better. I don't like having to type so much.
Support! This would be so much better. I don't like having to type so much.
JellyRaven

WvEXipG.png

E4qlLPv.png
Support! The dropdown would work much better in my opinion, and also stop me from misspelling breed names, lol.
Support! The dropdown would work much better in my opinion, and also stop me from misspelling breed names, lol.
pK3keHh.png

Hello! I'm Tuna, or Suns
| any pronouns | +2 FR time
| ~> toyhouse

I am forgetful, so reminders are great.
Support I be struggling
Support I be struggling
62a28eab19423fd06c81c0b57758ea57b3848a75.png
42d22711d27254841bd07f96db6eb09fe438054c.png
Support. This would be much easier than having to type auraboa gene: jaguar or whatever. Just type jaguar and pick the applicability. The planned name changing doesn't really,,, fix the problem,,,
Support. This would be much easier than having to type auraboa gene: jaguar or whatever. Just type jaguar and pick the applicability. The planned name changing doesn't really,,, fix the problem,,,
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
I see no objection to adding the drop down because QoL.
I see no objection to adding the drop down because QoL.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Support! I'm glad it's going to be addressed but, out of all the options, changing the name of the scrolls seems like the most clunky fix, at least for us users. I don't know anyone who types out the full name of the gene each time they want to search it, lol.
Support! I'm glad it's going to be addressed but, out of all the options, changing the name of the scrolls seems like the most clunky fix, at least for us users. I don't know anyone who types out the full name of the gene each time they want to search it, lol.
The_Aether_Orchard
[quote name="teddy2008" date="2023-11-26 20:18:38" ]I don't know anyone who types out the full name of the gene each time they want to search it, lol. [/quote] The majority of my searches are like, "jag" "sav" "cont" ¨cind" "gemb" "peac" So.. yeah this is not very helpful with that lmao. I can just adjust my habits to do primary gene: jag and just change the part after gene, it's not That big a deal, but I do wish for a more convenient option.
teddy2008 wrote on 2023-11-26 20:18:38:
I don't know anyone who types out the full name of the gene each time they want to search it, lol.
The majority of my searches are like,
"jag"
"sav"
"cont"
¨cind"
"gemb"
"peac"
So.. yeah this is not very helpful with that lmao. I can just adjust my habits to do primary gene: jag and just change the part after gene, it's not That big a deal, but I do wish for a more convenient option.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
1 2 3 4 5