Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Changing major aspects of fandragons?
1 2
Well, much to my surprise, a character I have a fandragon of had her name completely retconned for reasons that aren't quite clear yet! I'm currently 50/50 on whether I should rename her (I like the new name better, it feels more respectful to the character and creators) or keep her name as-is (current name is more recognizable & the news hasn't gotten far enough yet for the new name to be easily searchable).
Have any of y'all encountered similar situations where a character underwent a major change (for example, a full design or name change) and you had to figure out what to do with your fandragon(s) of them? How did it end up working out?
Well, much to my surprise, a character I have a fandragon of had her name completely retconned for reasons that aren't quite clear yet! I'm currently 50/50 on whether I should rename her (I like the new name better, it feels more respectful to the character and creators) or keep her name as-is (current name is more recognizable & the news hasn't gotten far enough yet for the new name to be easily searchable).
Have any of y'all encountered similar situations where a character underwent a major change (for example, a full design or name change) and you had to figure out what to do with your fandragon(s) of them? How did it end up working out?
Gr15mqs.png
I6Ay4yi.gifwLQRY4q.gif
If you feel like it fits better, you should change it! Scrolls of renaming are easy to come by so if you don't like it you can change it back. Maybe add a note in her bio?
If you feel like it fits better, you should change it! Scrolls of renaming are easy to come by so if you don't like it you can change it back. Maybe add a note in her bio?
VGxuHXT.png
I've never had to change a characters name before >> But I do have characters that have different outfits. I just go with the one I like most, or one they wear most often. or the one that's most easiest to make on here

Like absol said, if you feel that it fits better to have the new correct name, then I would go ahead and change it! And put a note of the retcon so that people who recognize the old name still know the character ^^
I've never had to change a characters name before >> But I do have characters that have different outfits. I just go with the one I like most, or one they wear most often. or the one that's most easiest to make on here

Like absol said, if you feel that it fits better to have the new correct name, then I would go ahead and change it! And put a note of the retcon so that people who recognize the old name still know the character ^^
ooo IJkKw0f.pngo K H U Z D U L
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
25 LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
Don't exalt them! Hit me up ;)
if you prefer the new name then i'd go with that, but it's totally your choice! in situations like that i generally just go with i personally prefer. i am actually currently working on a fandragon of a character from baldur's gate who has two very different appearances depending on the choices made in-game. i couldn't decide firmly on one appearance or the other, so i ended up going with a design that mixes aspects of both, which i also feel is fitting as she as a character is never "fully" one thing or the other in my opinion.
if you prefer the new name then i'd go with that, but it's totally your choice! in situations like that i generally just go with i personally prefer. i am actually currently working on a fandragon of a character from baldur's gate who has two very different appearances depending on the choices made in-game. i couldn't decide firmly on one appearance or the other, so i ended up going with a design that mixes aspects of both, which i also feel is fitting as she as a character is never "fully" one thing or the other in my opinion.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
I was in this situation with a dragon I have and I absolutely did not bother, though I had personal reasons.

(I thought the old character name was a beautiful, poignant, and incredibly hilarious lesson about the concept of death of the author that the creator of the character needed to painfully learn. Like, you got outvoted man. Your OC is gay AND a better person than than you now.)

I encourage you to decide wholly based on personal reasons. Although the amount of respect you personally have for the author(s) may be a factor, how you feel about the name should be the leading one.

Searchability likely won't be an issue because most people will search both the old and new names, like with any character that has more than one name.

It sounds like you do prefer the new name on its own merits, so if that's true I'd say go for it. If more info comes out on context or the author's reasoning and you decide otherwise, it is not expensive to change it back.
I was in this situation with a dragon I have and I absolutely did not bother, though I had personal reasons.

(I thought the old character name was a beautiful, poignant, and incredibly hilarious lesson about the concept of death of the author that the creator of the character needed to painfully learn. Like, you got outvoted man. Your OC is gay AND a better person than than you now.)

I encourage you to decide wholly based on personal reasons. Although the amount of respect you personally have for the author(s) may be a factor, how you feel about the name should be the leading one.

Searchability likely won't be an issue because most people will search both the old and new names, like with any character that has more than one name.

It sounds like you do prefer the new name on its own merits, so if that's true I'd say go for it. If more info comes out on context or the author's reasoning and you decide otherwise, it is not expensive to change it back.
3P334Mh.gifur1aRQ7.gifXT6s1Yv.gif5hHSdlu.gifNyJQIV5.gif
@Pantsbians sure i had some agents of shield fandragons back when i liked the show, got them right after season one. had this exact issue when skye found her birth name in season two and it was like well okay do i rename her daisy now? i would've if i'd kept her long enough lmao but i got rid of all my fandragons not long after season two ended so it was a non-issue for me. but i sorta considered doing like, two different versions of her, one for her original computer dork, and then one for her superhero identity bc the character growth was significant enough for that to have been fine but yeah. got rid of them instead

@Kuroikumo which character are you doing? shadowheart? bc i thought that about a few of them and blending concepts was something i considered, but in the end i sorta just went for the design My™ versions ended up with. intrigued to see what your plan is tho if you don't mind sharing
@Pantsbians sure i had some agents of shield fandragons back when i liked the show, got them right after season one. had this exact issue when skye found her birth name in season two and it was like well okay do i rename her daisy now? i would've if i'd kept her long enough lmao but i got rid of all my fandragons not long after season two ended so it was a non-issue for me. but i sorta considered doing like, two different versions of her, one for her original computer dork, and then one for her superhero identity bc the character growth was significant enough for that to have been fine but yeah. got rid of them instead

@Kuroikumo which character are you doing? shadowheart? bc i thought that about a few of them and blending concepts was something i considered, but in the end i sorta just went for the design My™ versions ended up with. intrigued to see what your plan is tho if you don't mind sharing
......................................... tumblr-pa5yx1-Ks-ZM1tecpo4o1-100.png ...
the reliquary
federation-Bar.png
''it's not over yet''
wishlistloreaccentsart
familiar collector • fr +8 • pears!
i think you should wait for the news to spread. about 2 weeks is what i give for people to catch up on spoilers, maybe more if it's a show or a game that's very long or has a backlog.
i think you should wait for the news to spread. about 2 weeks is what i give for people to catch up on spoilers, maybe more if it's a show or a game that's very long or has a backlog.
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
@reliquiaen yes, shadowheart! this is where i'm at with her right now - the only thing still left to do is give her shadow primal eyes: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90561793][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/905618/90561793_350.png[/img][/url] [bg3 spoilers] [spoiler]i wasn't sure if i should go full shar or full selune, so i decided on a bit of both. i definitely prefer the path where she rejects shar, but i think it's far too interesting of a concept for me to completely leave behind in a fan design. so i would say this is a very late act 2 "good path" shadowheart, one who is turning from shar and returning to her roots but still very much struggling and feels a lingering sense of loss. i also wasn't sure if i should go with shadow primal or light primal eyes but ultimately i just like shadow primal better with the overall design[/spoiler] i'm also going to make my wife lae'zel - still waiting for the hatching i bought to grow up before i start re-geneing her and such but this is my plan (i don't really want to buy a whole silhouette scroll, especially when i hc her as nonbinary anyway, so sticking with m pose): [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=4023233&skin=0&apparel=23289,12267,50764,51620,51609,51599,51592,51604,51613,51623&xt=dressing.png[/img] i took a gander through your lair and found your bg3 fandragons - i love what you've got planned for them! i'm impressed that you went the extra step of breeding for them so you could have the parent names be accurate, i hadn't even considered doing that but that's such a fun idea.
@reliquiaen yes, shadowheart! this is where i'm at with her right now - the only thing still left to do is give her shadow primal eyes:

90561793_350.png

[bg3 spoilers] i wasn't sure if i should go full shar or full selune, so i decided on a bit of both. i definitely prefer the path where she rejects shar, but i think it's far too interesting of a concept for me to completely leave behind in a fan design. so i would say this is a very late act 2 "good path" shadowheart, one who is turning from shar and returning to her roots but still very much struggling and feels a lingering sense of loss. i also wasn't sure if i should go with shadow primal or light primal eyes but ultimately i just like shadow primal better with the overall design

i'm also going to make my wife lae'zel - still waiting for the hatching i bought to grow up before i start re-geneing her and such but this is my plan (i don't really want to buy a whole silhouette scroll, especially when i hc her as nonbinary anyway, so sticking with m pose):

scry?sdid=4023233&skin=0&apparel=23289,12267,50764,51620,51609,51599,51592,51604,51613,51623&xt=dressing.png

i took a gander through your lair and found your bg3 fandragons - i love what you've got planned for them! i'm impressed that you went the extra step of breeding for them so you could have the parent names be accurate, i hadn't even considered doing that but that's such a fun idea.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
@Kuroikumo so so fair that's a GORGEOUS shadowheart. kinda what i was going for with mine too, yeah, like a little bit of the light creeping in, but the colours are dark. your lae'zel is excellent too, really great use of that apparel. handshake for jaguar lae'zel, as it should be.

ahaha thanks, i either go the full monty and get appropriate parents or i just buy whatever off the ah. i like to make my life harder than it needs to be ;laskjdf;lkasd
@Kuroikumo so so fair that's a GORGEOUS shadowheart. kinda what i was going for with mine too, yeah, like a little bit of the light creeping in, but the colours are dark. your lae'zel is excellent too, really great use of that apparel. handshake for jaguar lae'zel, as it should be.

ahaha thanks, i either go the full monty and get appropriate parents or i just buy whatever off the ah. i like to make my life harder than it needs to be ;laskjdf;lkasd
......................................... tumblr-pa5yx1-Ks-ZM1tecpo4o1-100.png ...
the reliquary
federation-Bar.png
''it's not over yet''
wishlistloreaccentsart
familiar collector • fr +8 • pears!
i had a mccree (overwatch) dragon that i renamed after i remembered i had him lol, but the character was renamed because of some really bad irl behavior from the guy he was named after. i would say rename, but idk your exact circumstances :)
i had a mccree (overwatch) dragon that i renamed after i remembered i had him lol, but the character was renamed because of some really bad irl behavior from the guy he was named after. i would say rename, but idk your exact circumstances :)

tn0RSo5.png1vAtYxM.pngMUYNhfy.pngeswSnrS.pngmtHAEL4.png
4w8OesX.pngoaolHwW.pngGW180jv.pnggzlHZ53.pnglAvpyOQ.png
l8NOdbs.pngx8bDWFu.pngDkUJ4j9.png5DjYECS.pngT4Peb9C.png
NOP5viO.pngWQA384m.png

1 2