Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 73 74
FR staff keeps winning
FR staff keeps winning
b6b79395300f38d126815a735af03192.pngtumblr_nkoy2v68mq1sjcj33o1_250.gif
@Aequorin Totally understandable and exactly why I appreciated the thorough explanation. <3
@Aequorin Totally understandable and exactly why I appreciated the thorough explanation. <3
Dappervolk ID #27689
Rbf96Oh.gifCuK85yM.pngtRNevRC.gif
Awesome! Excited to see the development of the PvP system [emoji=veilspun star size=1]
Awesome!

Excited to see the development of the PvP system
So... The main concern about the pinglists is that a single site-supported pinglist does not account for the dozens of factors a player-made one can. Reiterating that point over and over doesn't fix the problem - offering an idea on a solution does.

I do have an idea, but I don't know how feasible it would be to implement - especially since the more I think about it, the more it feels like an immediate, entire revamp of the new system rather than a small edit to it. However, in the event it can be done...

I'm having a really hard time wording this, but essentially, pinglists should have internal flags/tags/factors/conditions that can be picked through to make custom subpings out of the main pinglist - similar to how you can limit search results in the AH by picking a variety of fields to fill to narrow down exactly what you want to find. This should include both premade options relating to things on the site (Example: dragon AH search options) and custom ones users can create for their individual needs (Example: pair names for a hatchery thread). They should be able to be added and removed at any point to keep the pinglist fluid and avoid the user having to make a new pinglist and get everyone to transfer to said new pinglist. Users who are subscribing would then be able to select what they actually want to be pinged for. This should also include a 'accept all pings,' 'accept pings that have at least one condition,' and 'accept pings that have all chosen conditions' to further filter the pings they will be receiving.

Let's get into an example because brain says it will make more sense.

- I make a hatchery. I make a pinglist for the hatchery.

- I make a condition for each pair. We'll call them Pair A, B, and C. I also make conditions for On the Nest, Hatchlings Available, and Discounts.

- I post the pinglist, Users A, B, and C.

- User A only likes Skydancers. It's the only breed they keep, so they only subscribe to Pair C, as it is a Skydancer x Skydancer pair, and use the "at least one condition" option. They will receive pings only if Pair C is included in the ping, even if there are other conditions in the ping too.

- User B loves all my pairs and just subscribes using the Accept All Pings option. They will get a ping every time I use the pinglist, regardless of the conditions.

- User C really likes Pair B, but they don't play super often and therefore are often low on funds. They subscribe to Pair B and Discounts and select the "all chosen conditions" option so they will only get pings if BOTH the Pair B and Discounts conditions are generated for the ping.

When I go to generate the ping/the ping's BBCode/widget, I could choose to just use the general ping, which would alert everyone, or I could select conditions to set the ping for so I am only alerting those interested in the specific pair that has just nested or hatchlings that have just become available.

pinglist=3, like in the original post's example, would be a general ping. A ping with conditions would probably look really messy in terms of the BBCode, including a long string of +/- or whatever it would come up per condition (like how the link/URL is edited when you select options for a search in the AH), but should look the same to other users once it's posted.

I have no idea how much sense any of that makes, but it's the best I can do with my singular, half-fried braincell. Enjoy.
So... The main concern about the pinglists is that a single site-supported pinglist does not account for the dozens of factors a player-made one can. Reiterating that point over and over doesn't fix the problem - offering an idea on a solution does.

I do have an idea, but I don't know how feasible it would be to implement - especially since the more I think about it, the more it feels like an immediate, entire revamp of the new system rather than a small edit to it. However, in the event it can be done...

I'm having a really hard time wording this, but essentially, pinglists should have internal flags/tags/factors/conditions that can be picked through to make custom subpings out of the main pinglist - similar to how you can limit search results in the AH by picking a variety of fields to fill to narrow down exactly what you want to find. This should include both premade options relating to things on the site (Example: dragon AH search options) and custom ones users can create for their individual needs (Example: pair names for a hatchery thread). They should be able to be added and removed at any point to keep the pinglist fluid and avoid the user having to make a new pinglist and get everyone to transfer to said new pinglist. Users who are subscribing would then be able to select what they actually want to be pinged for. This should also include a 'accept all pings,' 'accept pings that have at least one condition,' and 'accept pings that have all chosen conditions' to further filter the pings they will be receiving.

Let's get into an example because brain says it will make more sense.

- I make a hatchery. I make a pinglist for the hatchery.

- I make a condition for each pair. We'll call them Pair A, B, and C. I also make conditions for On the Nest, Hatchlings Available, and Discounts.

- I post the pinglist, Users A, B, and C.

- User A only likes Skydancers. It's the only breed they keep, so they only subscribe to Pair C, as it is a Skydancer x Skydancer pair, and use the "at least one condition" option. They will receive pings only if Pair C is included in the ping, even if there are other conditions in the ping too.

- User B loves all my pairs and just subscribes using the Accept All Pings option. They will get a ping every time I use the pinglist, regardless of the conditions.

- User C really likes Pair B, but they don't play super often and therefore are often low on funds. They subscribe to Pair B and Discounts and select the "all chosen conditions" option so they will only get pings if BOTH the Pair B and Discounts conditions are generated for the ping.

When I go to generate the ping/the ping's BBCode/widget, I could choose to just use the general ping, which would alert everyone, or I could select conditions to set the ping for so I am only alerting those interested in the specific pair that has just nested or hatchlings that have just become available.

pinglist=3, like in the original post's example, would be a general ping. A ping with conditions would probably look really messy in terms of the BBCode, including a long string of +/- or whatever it would come up per condition (like how the link/URL is edited when you select options for a search in the AH), but should look the same to other users once it's posted.

I have no idea how much sense any of that makes, but it's the best I can do with my singular, half-fried braincell. Enjoy.
Untitled2165.png O Oh Stormcatcher what have I started...
@Volinolona

What you're describing is functionally boolean / logic operators, which are used in spreadsheets and computer programming for example - programs using an AND boolean require two separate conditions to both be met at the same time in order to trigger a result; an OR requires any one of a list of conditions to be met; and NOR requires that certain negative conditions aren't met. You're not alone in suggesting them - if you look for 'boolean' in the suggestions forum you'll find a lot of related threads you'd be welcome to contribute your thoughts to, if you'd like. Your explanation in here was absolutely easy to follow - though of course how easy it would be to code is an entire other issue

(Also an unrelated small comment on the irony of the pings update possibly causing a pings update that is a bugfix for something we had just taken for granted. Perhaps it's not irony, either way I think it's funny.)
@Volinolona

What you're describing is functionally boolean / logic operators, which are used in spreadsheets and computer programming for example - programs using an AND boolean require two separate conditions to both be met at the same time in order to trigger a result; an OR requires any one of a list of conditions to be met; and NOR requires that certain negative conditions aren't met. You're not alone in suggesting them - if you look for 'boolean' in the suggestions forum you'll find a lot of related threads you'd be welcome to contribute your thoughts to, if you'd like. Your explanation in here was absolutely easy to follow - though of course how easy it would be to code is an entire other issue

(Also an unrelated small comment on the irony of the pings update possibly causing a pings update that is a bugfix for something we had just taken for granted. Perhaps it's not irony, either way I think it's funny.)

alyblaith / aly
NatDom org team

===========
• they/her
• queer
• neurodivergent
===========
trade adopts
===========
== Ink wash brush-style art of three red and gold Wildclaws performing a dragon dance with a green Auraboa puppet, with text for Nature's Year of the Wood Dragon push.
Oh wow firstly !! Thank you so much for these new updates, staff! The additional functionality is exciting and so is PvP! I know there has been a fair amount of salt floating around both on-site and off so I just wanted to send a virtual hug to you all on the staff team and say that I really appreciate how much you're trying to involve the player base in the development and implementation of new features. I think a testing phase such as this is a great idea, so that everyone can get a feel for how the new systems will work moving forward. You all are awesome!

I know this may get lost in the noise and with 67 pages of replies someone might have already touched on it ^_^; but I wanted to ask: I'm curious how the pinglist update will affect services that users can use to ping one another en-masse if only the pinglist owner has access?

For example, the Nest Network and Currency Exhange Hub function by allowing those seeking, for instance, a Light nest to ping all other Nest network members who are offering Light nests. Or those seeking gems to ping people who are looking to trade for treasure, off a masterlist. If only pinglist owners can now use the mass pinglists, how would Nest Network members or Currency Exhange Hub users then ping for what they're looking for?

Would we need to instead flood the sales forums with hundreds of individual threads seeking those trades? I personally feel that the dragon search and items for sale forum categories are already flooded and chaotic as is...hence my concern ^_^;

Just curious! Maybe there's already sth in the works that I don't know about. Thanks again and have a great day!! c:
Oh wow firstly !! Thank you so much for these new updates, staff! The additional functionality is exciting and so is PvP! I know there has been a fair amount of salt floating around both on-site and off so I just wanted to send a virtual hug to you all on the staff team and say that I really appreciate how much you're trying to involve the player base in the development and implementation of new features. I think a testing phase such as this is a great idea, so that everyone can get a feel for how the new systems will work moving forward. You all are awesome!

I know this may get lost in the noise and with 67 pages of replies someone might have already touched on it ^_^; but I wanted to ask: I'm curious how the pinglist update will affect services that users can use to ping one another en-masse if only the pinglist owner has access?

For example, the Nest Network and Currency Exhange Hub function by allowing those seeking, for instance, a Light nest to ping all other Nest network members who are offering Light nests. Or those seeking gems to ping people who are looking to trade for treasure, off a masterlist. If only pinglist owners can now use the mass pinglists, how would Nest Network members or Currency Exhange Hub users then ping for what they're looking for?

Would we need to instead flood the sales forums with hundreds of individual threads seeking those trades? I personally feel that the dragon search and items for sale forum categories are already flooded and chaotic as is...hence my concern ^_^;

Just curious! Maybe there's already sth in the works that I don't know about. Thanks again and have a great day!! c:
___
I N F E N Z A

_
MUYNhfy.png
pZJYyk4.png
Y7MOfeL.png
dEe2UrM.png
SDBcrXj.png
9e9okfI.png
0swsiUr.png
ok i actually thought of a good suggestion instead of being mopey and sad x'D

is there a possibility to create private and public pinglists? people will know what they're signing up for, private pinglists can be used in hatcheries/art shops , in settings where only one person needs to ping users - but then public pinglists are a way for anyone to ping that specific pinglist- or semi-public pinglists? maybe assign thread co-owners/pinglist co-owners as well so people can still use it similarly to the "old user made way"

I saw at least someone saying they run a rp thread, and i know there's more of those, so thats where the "thread co-owner" idea comes from. when you create the pinglist you set it to be allowed to be used by thread co-owners and bam. Or just pinglist co-owners would work I guess

ok i actually thought of a good suggestion instead of being mopey and sad x'D

is there a possibility to create private and public pinglists? people will know what they're signing up for, private pinglists can be used in hatcheries/art shops , in settings where only one person needs to ping users - but then public pinglists are a way for anyone to ping that specific pinglist- or semi-public pinglists? maybe assign thread co-owners/pinglist co-owners as well so people can still use it similarly to the "old user made way"

I saw at least someone saying they run a rp thread, and i know there's more of those, so thats where the "thread co-owner" idea comes from. when you create the pinglist you set it to be allowed to be used by thread co-owners and bam. Or just pinglist co-owners would work I guess

Excited for the skin system.
Excited for the skin system.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
Oh if only that pinglist function had been a thing back when I ran a hatchery...
Oh if only that pinglist function had been a thing back when I ran a hatchery...
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
just don't turn PVP into "whoever misses loses."
RNG should not be a primary factor in the outcome of battles.

be aware that PVE builds and PVP builds will, and should, be different.
time to make elemental matchups count. :)
just don't turn PVP into "whoever misses loses."
RNG should not be a primary factor in the outcome of battles.

be aware that PVE builds and PVP builds will, and should, be different.
time to make elemental matchups count. :)
unknown.png
1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 73 74