Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Extend this to profiles and bios?
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="Ratiasu" date="2023-05-11 02:59:04" ] i still don't think people should be entitled to view people's bios a way the owners don't like them to see it... but i won't die on this hill, lol [/quote] Phrasing it as something people are "entitled" to when the alternative is certain people just not being able to read whatever you've put down at all is kind of messed up. There is nothing about being able to strip font styles away that materially impacts anyone creating these profiles but it provides a huge benefit to a group of players that wouldn't ordinarily bother trying. I know you said this isn't a hill you want to die on, but you should really consider the way things come across when an accessibility option is proposed and your first thought is about creator control of their bio's aesthetics.
Ratiasu wrote on 2023-05-11 02:59:04:
i still don't think people should be entitled to view people's bios a way the owners don't like them to see it... but i won't die on this hill, lol

Phrasing it as something people are "entitled" to when the alternative is certain people just not being able to read whatever you've put down at all is kind of messed up. There is nothing about being able to strip font styles away that materially impacts anyone creating these profiles but it provides a huge benefit to a group of players that wouldn't ordinarily bother trying. I know you said this isn't a hill you want to die on, but you should really consider the way things come across when an accessibility option is proposed and your first thought is about creator control of their bio's aesthetics.
Support! People's profiles (and sometimes dragon bios) often have important info wrt player interaction, like wish lists or which dragons are/aren't for sale. There have been times when I've just given up on trading with certain players because I just couldn't read their guidelines. [quote name="Ratiasu" date="2023-05-11 02:59:04" ] but the profile and bios aren't 'public' when blocking is involved. the player has choice in who views their stuff, so i'd say it's pretty much 'their' space. and i just checked the site in incognito for forums and the paintbrush doesn't show up. considering if someone views the dragon bio anyways while blocked they wouldn't be able to view the bios simplified. just thought it was something to point out. i still don't think people should be entitled to view people's bios a way the owners don't like them to see it... but i won't die on this hill, lol [/quote] I don't think I understand this argument? Having an accessibility toggle doesn't prevent people from seeing the author's formatting, I can still appreciate their customization with it switched off. I'd just [i]also[/i] be able to switch it to a version that I can read. What does blocking have to do with anything? Inaccessibility isn't comparable to prohibiting users you don't want to interact with from doing so. What inaccessibility actually does is prevent disabled users from participating in typical user interaction, [i]because[/i] they're disabled. By default, everyone's lairs are viewable to everyone else, and most users [i]like[/i] sharing their lairs/lore with others. There are tons of forum threads centered around it! It doesn't matter if the toggle isn't there when you're logged out, and blocked users shouldn't be viewing prohibited profiles anyway. This is a good compromise between players who want to share their pages while maintaining their aesthetic, and players who want to interact but can't read certain formatting styles. It doesn't stop customization or otherwise interfere with the author in any way. If anything, it will allow for more customization because users will be able to do what they like without worrying about making it legible to all users.
Support! People's profiles (and sometimes dragon bios) often have important info wrt player interaction, like wish lists or which dragons are/aren't for sale. There have been times when I've just given up on trading with certain players because I just couldn't read their guidelines.

but the profile and bios aren't 'public' when blocking is involved. the player has choice in who views their stuff, so i'd say it's pretty much 'their' space.

and i just checked the site in incognito for forums and the paintbrush doesn't show up. considering if someone views the dragon bio anyways while blocked they wouldn't be able to view the bios simplified. just thought it was something to point out.

i still don't think people should be entitled to view people's bios a way the owners don't like them to see it... but i won't die on this hill, lol

I don't think I understand this argument? Having an accessibility toggle doesn't prevent people from seeing the author's formatting, I can still appreciate their customization with it switched off. I'd just also be able to switch it to a version that I can read.

What does blocking have to do with anything? Inaccessibility isn't comparable to prohibiting users you don't want to interact with from doing so. What inaccessibility actually does is prevent disabled users from participating in typical user interaction, because they're disabled. By default, everyone's lairs are viewable to everyone else, and most users like sharing their lairs/lore with others. There are tons of forum threads centered around it! It doesn't matter if the toggle isn't there when you're logged out, and blocked users shouldn't be viewing prohibited profiles anyway.

This is a good compromise between players who want to share their pages while maintaining their aesthetic, and players who want to interact but can't read certain formatting styles. It doesn't stop customization or otherwise interfere with the author in any way. If anything, it will allow for more customization because users will be able to do what they like without worrying about making it legible to all users.
Mith Spellbook

they/them
- (fr +0) -
why are we calling a request for accessibility that has no impact on anyone else "entitled" lmao I do not think people are entitled for wanting to read information or not be in physical pain because of someone's inaccessible choices. that's such a negative way to phrase it.

Aesthetic should never come before accessibility and you're not even going to know someone's viewing your profile incorrectly or whatever unless they tell you. And even then, it literally does not matter to anyone other than the person using the option.
why are we calling a request for accessibility that has no impact on anyone else "entitled" lmao I do not think people are entitled for wanting to read information or not be in physical pain because of someone's inaccessible choices. that's such a negative way to phrase it.

Aesthetic should never come before accessibility and you're not even going to know someone's viewing your profile incorrectly or whatever unless they tell you. And even then, it literally does not matter to anyone other than the person using the option.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
Support. There's no good reason not to have this feature. I'm all for preserving the integrity and original intent of the creator wrt to art and whatnot but be for real here guys, that barely applies to this situation. This is an accessibility feature and it literally does not impact anyone outside of whoever is choosing to use it.
Support. There's no good reason not to have this feature. I'm all for preserving the integrity and original intent of the creator wrt to art and whatnot but be for real here guys, that barely applies to this situation. This is an accessibility feature and it literally does not impact anyone outside of whoever is choosing to use it.
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
[quote name="Ratiasu" date="2023-05-11 02:59:04" ] and i just checked the site in incognito for forums and the paintbrush doesn't show up. considering if someone views the dragon bio anyways while blocked they wouldn't be able to view the bios simplified. just thought it was something to point out. [/quote] okay well the paintbrush toggle should also exist on forum posts when logged out? if the whole forums are viewable already, they should still be as readable. and yes this should extend to the clan/dragon bio. the risk of a blocked person being able to read it already exists with abled people (and disabled people could read it by copypasting elsewhere if they were really determined), its not really a significant added risk beyond the unavoidable ones that makes not having the paintbrush worth the drawbacks. people doing block evasion are definitely not the only people browsing the site unlogged in! people browse fr for fun, people who dont play fr themselves check out the pages of people they know, people get logged out during rollover, etc. they have an equal right to read the same content other people can read. support.
and i just checked the site in incognito for forums and the paintbrush doesn't show up. considering if someone views the dragon bio anyways while blocked they wouldn't be able to view the bios simplified. just thought it was something to point out.

okay well the paintbrush toggle should also exist on forum posts when logged out? if the whole forums are viewable already, they should still be as readable.

and yes this should extend to the clan/dragon bio. the risk of a blocked person being able to read it already exists with abled people (and disabled people could read it by copypasting elsewhere if they were really determined), its not really a significant added risk beyond the unavoidable ones that makes not having the paintbrush worth the drawbacks. people doing block evasion are definitely not the only people browsing the site unlogged in! people browse fr for fun, people who dont play fr themselves check out the pages of people they know, people get logged out during rollover, etc. they have an equal right to read the same content other people can read.

support.
FIIzWNR.png
note: my username has an 'S' at the end!

3bFu4Yl.gifswirSeJ.gifHA8DM8L.gif
hoo...boy guys...so i never really gotten piled on before, but my heart's racing lol

okay so i guess i wanted to make a point like everyone's dragons are their own and making their bios and wanting them to be viewed Like That would make the owner's the happiest or whatever

the point that we don't know how others view them is good one. people have extensions and such that change stuff all the time, so the site one, yeah it really doesn't matter...

i guess i just wanted to take the side of -- anyone can do whatever they want with their profiles -- without feeling bad about it. i see i came off a little too strong about that. and i'm sorry.
hoo...boy guys...so i never really gotten piled on before, but my heart's racing lol

okay so i guess i wanted to make a point like everyone's dragons are their own and making their bios and wanting them to be viewed Like That would make the owner's the happiest or whatever

the point that we don't know how others view them is good one. people have extensions and such that change stuff all the time, so the site one, yeah it really doesn't matter...

i guess i just wanted to take the side of -- anyone can do whatever they want with their profiles -- without feeling bad about it. i see i came off a little too strong about that. and i'm sorry.
yzUX307.png
[quote name="Tserin" date="2023-05-11 10:02:41" ] why are we calling a request for accessibility that has no impact on anyone else "entitled" lmao I do not think people are entitled for wanting to read information or not be in physical pain because of someone's inaccessible choices. that's such a negative way to phrase it. Aesthetic should never come before accessibility and you're not even going to know someone's viewing your profile incorrectly or whatever unless they tell you. And even then, it literally does not matter to anyone other than the person using the option. [/quote] Having been on a couple of other threads about things that would pretty much (if implemented right) wouldn't affect other people and seen the reasons why people are against it, I really shouldn't be as surprised that this thread had so many people who are against something like this. I support, because, as stated by other people, the person who wrote the bio would have no idea that someone else toggled their coding off.
Tserin wrote on 2023-05-11 10:02:41:

Having been on a couple of other threads about things that would pretty much (if implemented right) wouldn't affect other people and seen the reasons why people are against it, I really shouldn't be as surprised that this thread had so many people who are against something like this.

I support, because, as stated by other people, the person who wrote the bio would have no idea that someone else toggled their coding off.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
"you're not entitled to read (while everyone else can)" is a hot take i wasn't expecting to see today

support
"you're not entitled to read (while everyone else can)" is a hot take i wasn't expecting to see today

support
Howdy!

Helticks
+2 fr time
-xIsegSQ.png NL841GZ.png 90686005.png d974qyj.png
Full support. I'll take a moment to go through some of the arguments here.

First and foremost, above anything else: It is not entitled for a disabled person to want the same experience as abled users. I can not believe this even needs to be said. A disabled person should be given the same opportunities as an abled person, and not allowing them to make things, on their end, more accessible, denies them this basic right.

Second, player bios and dragon bios are not private. They are hosted publicly, for anyone* to see. In fact, one could argue that the entire point of putting anything into an on-site bio is so that it can be seen by other players! The entire point of a user profile, while they have been used to establish general clan lore, is to provide a brief (or not so brief) summary of who that user is as a person, the same as any bio on any other website. It's entire intended purpose is to server as a summary of who you are to others. If you were a book, your user profile would be the synopsis on the back.

If you don't want your lore to be seen, then it should not go on public pages to begin with. Anything hosted on the site deserves to be seen by anyone* on this website. If an abled person can see it, then disabled people should be able to see it, too.

If a user is blocked, of course, then I will admit, they shouldn't be able to see your profile or dragons. That is a key feature of blocking. However, they would not be able to see the bio to untoggle it. If I'm to be entirely honest, I fail to see how this is an issue.

Then, there is the matter of this toggle "breaking" bios. To start, nothing is truly broken. The change the toggle makes is entirely client-side. Only the user who clicked the toggle sees the post without special code. Furthermore, using the toggle does not break posts. It simply removes bbcode elements that change the appearance of text. Elements that are removed include underline, italics, strikethrough, color, font, and size. Elements that are unchanged include bold, links, images, alignment, lists, indent, columns, spoilers, quotes, and item previews. Additionally, some elements are changed, but kept similar- superscript and subscript both keep their relative positions, but are made larger and easier to read. Not only is nothing removed from the post itself, but a large amount of bbcode elements are left unchanged- it only changes elements that affect the readability of the text. Nothing more.

There is also the issue of users using images with text on them in bios. There is no way to stop this. However, this is also an issue in forums. I've seen forum threads with section headers as images in the brightest, least contrasting colors, and the hardest to read fonts. The toggle does not affect this in forums. However, despite this, the toggle was still added to the forums, so this does not make for a compelling enough argument to deny the addition of this toggle to user and dragon bios. Even if there are some additions to bios that the toggle can not get to, adding an option for improved readability, even if it is not complete, is still, in my opinion, better than having nothing at all.

Overall, there is, in my eyes, no real reason for this not to be added. As it is a toggle, it does not have to be used by anyone who does not need it. It only serves to make this site more accessible for those who may not be able to read some formatted text. User and dragon bios are no more private than forum posts, and, in many scenarios, are integral to having the best possible user experience on this site. Many users request you read their bio before interacting in various ways, which can lock you out of multiple opportunities if you're unable to read their bio. Not all dragon bios are used for lore- many of them are used to communicate different player needs. The most common of these kinds of informative bios I can think of at the moment is a wishlist. If you entered a secret Santa event, for example, and your giftee linked to a dragon's bio as their wishlist, you would need to be able to read that dragon's bio! On top of that, even if there were no player to player interactions that included player or dragon bios, it is still unfair to leave them inaccessible to some of the playerbase when others have no issues reading them at all. If an abled person can see your lore with no problem, a disabled person should be allowed to do so as well.

* This excludes players that user has blocked, of course.
Full support. I'll take a moment to go through some of the arguments here.

First and foremost, above anything else: It is not entitled for a disabled person to want the same experience as abled users. I can not believe this even needs to be said. A disabled person should be given the same opportunities as an abled person, and not allowing them to make things, on their end, more accessible, denies them this basic right.

Second, player bios and dragon bios are not private. They are hosted publicly, for anyone* to see. In fact, one could argue that the entire point of putting anything into an on-site bio is so that it can be seen by other players! The entire point of a user profile, while they have been used to establish general clan lore, is to provide a brief (or not so brief) summary of who that user is as a person, the same as any bio on any other website. It's entire intended purpose is to server as a summary of who you are to others. If you were a book, your user profile would be the synopsis on the back.

If you don't want your lore to be seen, then it should not go on public pages to begin with. Anything hosted on the site deserves to be seen by anyone* on this website. If an abled person can see it, then disabled people should be able to see it, too.

If a user is blocked, of course, then I will admit, they shouldn't be able to see your profile or dragons. That is a key feature of blocking. However, they would not be able to see the bio to untoggle it. If I'm to be entirely honest, I fail to see how this is an issue.

Then, there is the matter of this toggle "breaking" bios. To start, nothing is truly broken. The change the toggle makes is entirely client-side. Only the user who clicked the toggle sees the post without special code. Furthermore, using the toggle does not break posts. It simply removes bbcode elements that change the appearance of text. Elements that are removed include underline, italics, strikethrough, color, font, and size. Elements that are unchanged include bold, links, images, alignment, lists, indent, columns, spoilers, quotes, and item previews. Additionally, some elements are changed, but kept similar- superscript and subscript both keep their relative positions, but are made larger and easier to read. Not only is nothing removed from the post itself, but a large amount of bbcode elements are left unchanged- it only changes elements that affect the readability of the text. Nothing more.

There is also the issue of users using images with text on them in bios. There is no way to stop this. However, this is also an issue in forums. I've seen forum threads with section headers as images in the brightest, least contrasting colors, and the hardest to read fonts. The toggle does not affect this in forums. However, despite this, the toggle was still added to the forums, so this does not make for a compelling enough argument to deny the addition of this toggle to user and dragon bios. Even if there are some additions to bios that the toggle can not get to, adding an option for improved readability, even if it is not complete, is still, in my opinion, better than having nothing at all.

Overall, there is, in my eyes, no real reason for this not to be added. As it is a toggle, it does not have to be used by anyone who does not need it. It only serves to make this site more accessible for those who may not be able to read some formatted text. User and dragon bios are no more private than forum posts, and, in many scenarios, are integral to having the best possible user experience on this site. Many users request you read their bio before interacting in various ways, which can lock you out of multiple opportunities if you're unable to read their bio. Not all dragon bios are used for lore- many of them are used to communicate different player needs. The most common of these kinds of informative bios I can think of at the moment is a wishlist. If you entered a secret Santa event, for example, and your giftee linked to a dragon's bio as their wishlist, you would need to be able to read that dragon's bio! On top of that, even if there were no player to player interactions that included player or dragon bios, it is still unfair to leave them inaccessible to some of the playerbase when others have no issues reading them at all. If an abled person can see your lore with no problem, a disabled person should be allowed to do so as well.

* This excludes players that user has blocked, of course.
_________ pixel_wright.png _______
Phoenix ◊ he/him ◊ FR + 3
————————————
Skin/Accent Shop
Fandragon Guide
Doodle Shop
Wishlist
_______ pixel_edgeworth.png
The only issue I can see with this (and it's a fairly minor one) is that transparent text, often used to space columns etc., would also probably become visible. I could see this getting confusing.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think it's better to be confusing than illegible!
The only issue I can see with this (and it's a fairly minor one) is that transparent text, often used to space columns etc., would also probably become visible. I could see this getting confusing.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think it's better to be confusing than illegible!
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.