Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 65 66
Well color me intrigued! Guess this means I'll need to change the lore for my "[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/lair/184627/2020860]Longneck Sanctuary[/url]" but this is far from a bad thing! [emoji=mirror laughing size=1] This is a really nice decision and I'm excited for the future lore to these clans!
Well color me intrigued! Guess this means I'll need to change the lore for my
"Longneck Sanctuary" but this is far from a bad thing!

This is a really nice decision and I'm excited for the future lore to these clans!
It's interesting that they are doing more things with the lore but I don't know how to feel about the retcon. When I first read the lore I thought it can be considered dark but it also makes sense for the turbulent world of the game. I didn't link it to real world events as conflicts like this has happened many times by different people for millennia. Even "children's" books like Warrior Cats and Wings of Fire have very dark themes that they don't shy away from. The old lore even inspired parts of my world lore (off site game projects/comics I'm working on). I'm curious to see where the team goes from here with the new storyline. As a writer who doesn't go too dark most of the time I don't really like the idea of softening a story just because someone, somewhere might link it to something that happened in the real world or get slightly offended. If that was the case a lot of good media just wouldn't exist. Sorry for my small rant. Hopes for good lore in the future.
It's interesting that they are doing more things with the lore but I don't know how to feel about the retcon. When I first read the lore I thought it can be considered dark but it also makes sense for the turbulent world of the game. I didn't link it to real world events as conflicts like this has happened many times by different people for millennia. Even "children's" books like Warrior Cats and Wings of Fire have very dark themes that they don't shy away from. The old lore even inspired parts of my world lore (off site game projects/comics I'm working on). I'm curious to see where the team goes from here with the new storyline. As a writer who doesn't go too dark most of the time I don't really like the idea of softening a story just because someone, somewhere might link it to something that happened in the real world or get slightly offended. If that was the case a lot of good media just wouldn't exist. Sorry for my small rant. Hopes for good lore in the future.
DqaUDXI.png
f16aksK.png
[quote name="sardines" date="2022-12-14 17:01:39" ] [quote name="Larimoor" date="2022-12-14 16:57:23" ] [quote name="sardines" date="2022-12-14 16:49:32" ] i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars? maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...? i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo! [/quote] You bring up a good point, especially considering Fiona's whole deal and some of her dialogue... "fantastical creatures" "beasties" etc. I'm assuming beastclans familiars are in her rotation too which does seem a biiiiiit uncomfortable..! [/quote] oh, that is a really fair point to consider that i hadn't even consciously thought of (though i think Fiona's whole deal is part of why i perceived them more as pets)... i do hope maybe they look at Fiona's dialogue following this update to hopefully eliminate some of that potential weirdness! [/quote] yeah i agree! I'm sure staff is keeping a close eye on this thread but just in case - @Aequorin some food for thought!
sardines wrote on 2022-12-14 17:01:39:
Larimoor wrote on 2022-12-14 16:57:23:
sardines wrote on 2022-12-14 16:49:32:
i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars?

maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...?

i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel

don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo!

You bring up a good point, especially considering Fiona's whole deal and some of her dialogue... "fantastical creatures" "beasties" etc. I'm assuming beastclans familiars are in her rotation too which does seem a biiiiiit uncomfortable..!
oh, that is a really fair point to consider that i hadn't even consciously thought of (though i think Fiona's whole deal is part of why i perceived them more as pets)... i do hope maybe they look at Fiona's dialogue following this update to hopefully eliminate some of that potential weirdness!

yeah i agree! I'm sure staff is keeping a close eye on this thread but just in case - @Aequorin some food for thought!
ln1aKC2.gif
I'll admit, seeing the Beastclans on the Rise! story did have noticeable parallels to European settlers colonizing North America and the terrible treatment of the First Nations who were there first. I wasn't that bothered by the implication that dragons who fought in the coliseum were directly contributing to this, as I always thought that the coli were dedicated sections of Sornith for dragons and Beastclans alike to prove their worth in battle, rather than an outright invasion (Warrior's Way). I kinda got the clue that this wasn't the case from a couple of Tomo's trivia which mentioned "this Beastclan fights to protect the Kelp Beds from encroaching invaders".
I'll admit, seeing the Beastclans on the Rise! story did have noticeable parallels to European settlers colonizing North America and the terrible treatment of the First Nations who were there first. I wasn't that bothered by the implication that dragons who fought in the coliseum were directly contributing to this, as I always thought that the coli were dedicated sections of Sornith for dragons and Beastclans alike to prove their worth in battle, rather than an outright invasion (Warrior's Way). I kinda got the clue that this wasn't the case from a couple of Tomo's trivia which mentioned "this Beastclan fights to protect the Kelp Beds from encroaching invaders".
Treesixer: Payback on Plague
In case the mods thanos snap me again, I just wanna put in my two cents as an Indigenous person myself, I'm really glad that the site creators finally have taken steps to fix their mistakes with the old lore.
*blows a kiss to the mods* you guys are working so hard and I appreciate u guys
In case the mods thanos snap me again, I just wanna put in my two cents as an Indigenous person myself, I'm really glad that the site creators finally have taken steps to fix their mistakes with the old lore.
348a58bed57a6e78ddac805e55142143f489c2ca.png
There is a time & a place for realistic conflict and I'm glad that we've been offered a work-around for everyone that doesn't fancy any of the gritty stuff.

You guys are doing a great job, especially when every other lore-based game out there has those real-world parallels. I wouldn't put it on any of you... because I know that the easiest thing to build off of is things we've already learned. A utopian world is unrealistic... and that's no one's fault. It's just the way that it is!

You did the absolute best thing that you could of done in this situation, so thank you for being transparent & apologizing for the mistake.
There is a time & a place for realistic conflict and I'm glad that we've been offered a work-around for everyone that doesn't fancy any of the gritty stuff.

You guys are doing a great job, especially when every other lore-based game out there has those real-world parallels. I wouldn't put it on any of you... because I know that the easiest thing to build off of is things we've already learned. A utopian world is unrealistic... and that's no one's fault. It's just the way that it is!

You did the absolute best thing that you could of done in this situation, so thank you for being transparent & apologizing for the mistake.
2KAdknV.png
gTTW2gA.png
GW180jv.png
uVEyOnT.png
DshAKj6.png
iR2WNmx.png
m0cjLtv.png
[quote name="MaficMystery" date="2022-12-14 17:13:49" ] In case the mods thanos snap me again, I just wanna put in my two cents as an Indigenous person myself, I'm really glad that the site creators finally have taken steps to fix their mistakes with the old lore. *blows a kiss to the mods* you guys are working so hard and I appreciate u guys [/quote] Haha, yes, you did get a snap @MaficMystery. Replies that quoted a removed post are being removed.
MaficMystery wrote on 2022-12-14 17:13:49:

Haha, yes, you did get a snap @MaficMystery. Replies that quoted a removed post are being removed.
thank you for being so responsible about this kind of stuff! its encouraging to see website moderators learn and grow :)
thank you for being so responsible about this kind of stuff! its encouraging to see website moderators learn and grow :)
FREE PALESTINE, SUDAN, AND CONGO NOW!!
based.

in all honesty, i don't have much more to add. i feel that other people have made more concise and impactful posts as to why this change was necessary and important. the transparency from the team is greatly appreciated. and this will also flesh out the game's lore in unique ways. awesome to see.
based.

in all honesty, i don't have much more to add. i feel that other people have made more concise and impactful posts as to why this change was necessary and important. the transparency from the team is greatly appreciated. and this will also flesh out the game's lore in unique ways. awesome to see.
Seeker Orb
rhae
any pronouns
fr +3
[emoji=familiar heart size=1]
1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 65 66