Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 65 66
[quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:15:00" ] [quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-12-14 16:06:37" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-12-14 16:03:38" ] [quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:02:11" ] I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism[/quote] bro [/quote] @/hungryhobbits, you know @/ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that. [/quote] Uh I admit that taken out of context that's a [i]bad[/i] line wow. I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ... [/quote] @ArgenteaMoon i deleted my initial comment but since you also chose to reply i'd like to reply to you - i'll just say i DID read what you said and i wasnt entirely a fan of it in part because of that opening statement which colored my initial reaction. though i understand my response wasnt appropriate and i do apologize for my immature response.
ArgenteaMoon wrote on 2022-12-14 16:15:00:
Aequorin wrote on 2022-12-14 16:06:37:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-12-14 16:03:38:
ArgenteaMoon wrote on 2022-12-14 16:02:11:
I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism

bro

@/hungryhobbits, you know @/ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that.
Uh I admit that taken out of context that's a bad line wow.

I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ...
@ArgenteaMoon i deleted my initial comment but since you also chose to reply i'd like to reply to you - i'll just say i DID read what you said and i wasnt entirely a fan of it in part because of that opening statement which colored my initial reaction. though i understand my response wasnt appropriate and i do apologize for my immature response.
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
Oh my god! I’m so glad this is finally happening. Thank you for the apology and the retcon, and I’m excited to integrate this new lore moving forward.
Oh my god! I’m so glad this is finally happening. Thank you for the apology and the retcon, and I’m excited to integrate this new lore moving forward.
9-BF420-CA-86-E1-4-F59-85-CA-C3-BC6-F2-B7-B26.png
I think it's really good that this is a retcon, rather than just progressing the world. While I love good complicated stories that wrestle with the implications of colonialism in thoughtful and complex ways, I don't think such a story fits the tone of this site. It doesn't make a world less three-dimensional, deep, or complex to not center the storytelling around colonialism (which any progression, as opposed to retcon, would have to still do - because if it was an honest story, it would have to grapple with the long and deep implications of the colonialist history that existed). And while retconning it still allows individual players to tell stories of domination and colonialism in their own lore, if they want, I think it's a good thing that the official lore, with its authorial weight, doesn't impose that on everyone.
I think it's really good that this is a retcon, rather than just progressing the world. While I love good complicated stories that wrestle with the implications of colonialism in thoughtful and complex ways, I don't think such a story fits the tone of this site. It doesn't make a world less three-dimensional, deep, or complex to not center the storytelling around colonialism (which any progression, as opposed to retcon, would have to still do - because if it was an honest story, it would have to grapple with the long and deep implications of the colonialist history that existed). And while retconning it still allows individual players to tell stories of domination and colonialism in their own lore, if they want, I think it's a good thing that the official lore, with its authorial weight, doesn't impose that on everyone.
igmcfSH.pngPXjp8QF.pngOn4IJIp.pngxcRmvRB.pngprsdX1I.png
@hungryhobbits, thank you.
@hungryhobbits, thank you.
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-12-14 16:18:21" ] [quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:15:00" ] [quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-12-14 16:06:37" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-12-14 16:03:38" ] [quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:02:11" ] I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism[/quote] bro [/quote] @/hungryhobbits, you know @/ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that. [/quote] Uh I admit that taken out of context that's a [i]bad[/i] line wow. I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @/Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ... [/quote] @/ArgenteaMoon i deleted my initial comment but since you also chose to reply i'd like to reply to you - i'll just say i DID read what you said and i wasnt entirely a fan of it in part because of that opening statement which colored my initial reaction. though i understand my response wasnt appropriate and i do apologize for my immature response. [/quote] @hungryhobbits It's fine I know expressed it clumsily lol
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-12-14 16:18:21:
I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism

bro

@/hungryhobbits, you know @/ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that.

I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @/Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ...
@/ArgenteaMoon i deleted my initial comment but since you also chose to reply i'd like to reply to you - i'll just say i DID read what you said and i wasnt entirely a fan of it in part because of that opening statement which colored my initial reaction. though i understand my response wasnt appropriate and i do apologize for my immature response.
@hungryhobbits It's fine I know expressed it clumsily lol
Professional Grump

I live for memes
[quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:23:57" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-12-14 16:18:21" ] [quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:15:00" ] [quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-12-14 16:06:37" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-12-14 16:03:38" ] [quote name="ArgenteaMoon" date="2022-12-14 16:02:11" ] I was ... okay real mad for half a minute there, I legit kind of liked the implications of colonialism[/quote] bro [/quote] @/hungryhobbits, you know @/ArgenteaMoon went on to clarify why after that sentence, specifically that they thought we were trying to teach a lesson. Don't do that. [/quote] Uh I admit that taken out of context that's a [i]bad[/i] line wow. I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @/Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ... [/quote] @/ArgenteaMoon i deleted my initial comment but since you also chose to reply i'd like to reply to you - i'll just say i DID read what you said and i wasnt entirely a fan of it in part because of that opening statement which colored my initial reaction. though i understand my response wasnt appropriate and i do apologize for my immature response. [/quote] @/hungryhobbits It's fine I know expressed it clumsily lol [/quote] i wanted to at least be a big boy and admit i was being a dummy since i was being given the opportunity. i dont always say stuff right either cos i post before i think (like in that instance lmao)
ArgenteaMoon wrote on 2022-12-14 16:23:57:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-12-14 16:18:21:

bro

I definitely don't think colonialism is a good thing, I was just looking at is from a story perspective, and as @/Aequorin (thanks Aequorin!) says, as a lesson. I'm not gonna change it, unless I can think of a way to say it that still feels right but is slightly less bad sounding ...
@/ArgenteaMoon i deleted my initial comment but since you also chose to reply i'd like to reply to you - i'll just say i DID read what you said and i wasnt entirely a fan of it in part because of that opening statement which colored my initial reaction. though i understand my response wasnt appropriate and i do apologize for my immature response.
@/hungryhobbits It's fine I know expressed it clumsily lol
i wanted to at least be a big boy and admit i was being a dummy since i was being given the opportunity. i dont always say stuff right either cos i post before i think (like in that instance lmao)
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
I don't participate much in the forums or the lore side of things here, but I just wanted to give my 2c that completely retconning a piece of lore because it (god forbid) is a parallel to, or references some dark history is an overreactive and disappointing thing to do. Through good and careful writing you can keep the flavor this premise adds to the world, but shift the tone of it and turn it around into a respectful learning experience, or an educational story; e.g. about people learning how their actions were wrong and caused great damage, how to be better, how to start making amends, etc. The world is not sunshine and rainbows, but we have to live in it. Being blind to the past and wiping it out of current fiction is a surefire road to repeating it. The original writing was quite aggressive and should have been edited, sure, but the premise was fine provided editing + a follow-up or continuation were to soften it, rather than leave lore in a dark state.

But regardless, thank you for being aware and receptive to community sentiment.
I don't participate much in the forums or the lore side of things here, but I just wanted to give my 2c that completely retconning a piece of lore because it (god forbid) is a parallel to, or references some dark history is an overreactive and disappointing thing to do. Through good and careful writing you can keep the flavor this premise adds to the world, but shift the tone of it and turn it around into a respectful learning experience, or an educational story; e.g. about people learning how their actions were wrong and caused great damage, how to be better, how to start making amends, etc. The world is not sunshine and rainbows, but we have to live in it. Being blind to the past and wiping it out of current fiction is a surefire road to repeating it. The original writing was quite aggressive and should have been edited, sure, but the premise was fine provided editing + a follow-up or continuation were to soften it, rather than leave lore in a dark state.

But regardless, thank you for being aware and receptive to community sentiment.
[quote name="Ista" date="2022-12-14 16:21:07" ] I think it's really good that this is a retcon, rather than just progressing the world. While I love good complicated stories that wrestle with the implications of colonialism in thoughtful and complex ways, I don't think such a story fits the tone of this site. It doesn't make a world less three-dimensional, deep, or complex to not center the storytelling around colonialism (which any progression, as opposed to retcon, would have to still do - because if it was an honest story, it would have to grapple with the long and deep implications of the colonialist history that existed). And while retconning it still allows individual players to tell stories of domination and colonialism in their own lore, if they want, I think it's a good thing that the official lore, with its authorial weight, doesn't impose that on everyone. [/quote] completely agree with what @Ista said! the new lore feels much more true to the site’s tone and does not force any uncomfortable implications onto players who do not want it. very glad that this was a retcon instead of an expansion—even as someone who doesn’t follow site lore at all in my personal lore, the retcon makes me breathe a big sigh of relief. i like that the possibilities of conflict between factions of beastclans and dragons are still available to any players who’d like to write about it in their own lore, but other players who would rather not incorporate this kind of conflict into their personal lore are not automatically “opted-in”, so to speak :) even for as detached from site lore as my dragons are, the retcon makes me very very happy and it works very well for my little clan of (mostly) pacifists!
Ista wrote on 2022-12-14 16:21:07:
completely agree with what @Ista said! the new lore feels much more true to the site’s tone and does not force any uncomfortable implications onto players who do not want it. very glad that this was a retcon instead of an expansion—even as someone who doesn’t follow site lore at all in my personal lore, the retcon makes me breathe a big sigh of relief. i like that the possibilities of conflict between factions of beastclans and dragons are still available to any players who’d like to write about it in their own lore, but other players who would rather not incorporate this kind of conflict into their personal lore are not automatically “opted-in”, so to speak :)

even for as detached from site lore as my dragons are, the retcon makes me very very happy and it works very well for my little clan of (mostly) pacifists!
a screenshot of a youtube comment dated ten years ago from Povilas Šorys. the comment says, 'why he has to squeak and mewl while singing? I hate radiohead'
Ooo very unexpected and very cool!!! also the harpy artisan kinda [emoji=gaoler love size=1]
Ooo very unexpected and very cool!!! also the harpy artisan kinda
Gbwcg3q.png
7TxHh19.png
Bqwka1v.png
UYXZLyE.png
bYt72YT.png
DoQJ9XF.png
27AZD8S.png
oaolHwW.png
xjB7OSe.png
IrmwTXC.png
l8NOdbs.png