Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
Yay, my "Shade-touched creatures in the Coliseum get the shade punched outta them and are so grateful that they join my clan" lore is now confirmed canon!
Yay, my "Shade-touched creatures in the Coliseum get the shade punched outta them and are so grateful that they join my clan" lore is now confirmed canon!
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
This news is beyond amazing and I'm so excited to see it!! Thank you to the community for respectfully expressing concerns and visions. Thank you to the devs for listening, learning, growing, changing, accountability, and creating clear and transformational change in FR canon. The strength of this combined community just makes FR so great, so wonderful, so uplifting.

Just stunned, thankful, and pleased so much!!
This news is beyond amazing and I'm so excited to see it!! Thank you to the community for respectfully expressing concerns and visions. Thank you to the devs for listening, learning, growing, changing, accountability, and creating clear and transformational change in FR canon. The strength of this combined community just makes FR so great, so wonderful, so uplifting.

Just stunned, thankful, and pleased so much!!
I love the new lore! I've always wanted to get something more in-depth on the cultures of the beastclans. The new direction is definitely a breath of fresh air

I'm also more than glad that the undertones of the old lore are not only being openly addressed, but that staff have both owned up to their missteps and are putting real effort into fixing any harm caused, however unintentional it was
I love the new lore! I've always wanted to get something more in-depth on the cultures of the beastclans. The new direction is definitely a breath of fresh air

I'm also more than glad that the undertones of the old lore are not only being openly addressed, but that staff have both owned up to their missteps and are putting real effort into fixing any harm caused, however unintentional it was
l2r8MfN.pngto2p366.pngR1x4tFf.pngU8Qr4XL.pngVqCxNUU.pngSybryjN.pngtumblr_psu5tqZwqW1wogl4wo7_75sq.png
thank you so much!! it's crossed my mind before whether or not my sentient familiars are supposed to be captured slaves or something. this feels way less uncomfy. again thank you!!
thank you so much!! it's crossed my mind before whether or not my sentient familiars are supposed to be captured slaves or something. this feels way less uncomfy. again thank you!!
signed, The Me.
I'm so happy with this update! Since I joined the game despite liking the overall lore the beastclans were always a sore spot for me, making me uncomfortable with how it was portrayed, changing it makes me so happy and the new harpy lore is amazing, I love this <3
I'm so happy with this update! Since I joined the game despite liking the overall lore the beastclans were always a sore spot for me, making me uncomfortable with how it was portrayed, changing it makes me so happy and the new harpy lore is amazing, I love this <3
SIG-02.png
this is really cool, thanks guys!
this is really cool, thanks guys!
... Bone Fragments ...... yangir.
— it / he. twenty. writer.
Its nice to finally see this change. Years ago, I remember people talking about how the lore made them feel and they always got backlash, it was really unpleasant to witness and soured how I felt about the community. It was one of the many reasons I drifted from this site and only recently came back tbh
Its nice to finally see this change. Years ago, I remember people talking about how the lore made them feel and they always got backlash, it was really unpleasant to witness and soured how I felt about the community. It was one of the many reasons I drifted from this site and only recently came back tbh
tumblr_nf6776Wn8H1qh5dfho7_250.gif
[quote name="ArchnarQwibQwib" date="2022-12-15 06:33:48" ] This is why I always failed literature analysis. I always saw dragons as more of a parallel to humankind, rather than Europeans. I saw the lore as a creative warning of the wanton destruction of nature for the sake of having more and the response nature will have (in this case, "nature" is represented by beastclans). Colonialism never crossed my mind. It makes me feel a little weird, to be honest. It makes me uncomfortable that even if it wasn't intentionally meant to be about colonialism, that the devs saw that was a valid interpretation. I don't know. Maybe I'm the strange one for not seeing the way most people interpreted it. [/quote] As I was reading your comment I wanted to provide my own perspective on human (or dragon) vs nature split from an anthropological view (my current studies). I feel an earlier comment of mine on this thread relates: "This dynamic reflects the nature/culture dualism ideologies that colonizers use to assign racialized superiority to themselves and inferiority to indigenous groups to justify land dispossession, segregation, ethnocide, exploitation and many other harmful practices." The country I'm from is steeped in nature/culture media and I never realized that reflected a support for the colonizers of my country and dehumanized the indigenous peoples until I learned the roots of the nature/culture split. It's heavily influenced by the medieval Euro-Christian 'Great Chain of Being' (it justified exploitation of flora and fauna with the argument that they were created to be in service of humanity). It was then furthered by Descartes' Cartesian Dualism which argued that manners and rationality made humans distinct from flora/fauna who were incapable of consciousness and rationality (which justified abuse against them because they 'couldn't feel anything'). These ideologies were then used against indigenous peoples and other marginalized groups, who were lumped into the nature category, and thus devalued, exploited and considered 'disposable'. The nature/culture split involves a disturbing amount of colonial ideas although the dualism history is often obscured to hide this fact. For those interested, scholars like Haraway and Tsing (Unruly Edges: Mushrooms as Companion Species), Patel and Moore (History of the World in 7 Cheap Things) and Kyle Whyte (Indigenous Climate Change Studies: Indigenizing Futures, Decolonizing the Anthropocene) cover this topic.
ArchnarQwibQwib wrote on 2022-12-15 06:33:48:
This is why I always failed literature analysis. I always saw dragons as more of a parallel to humankind, rather than Europeans. I saw the lore as a creative warning of the wanton destruction of nature for the sake of having more and the response nature will have (in this case, "nature" is represented by beastclans). Colonialism never crossed my mind. It makes me feel a little weird, to be honest. It makes me uncomfortable that even if it wasn't intentionally meant to be about colonialism, that the devs saw that was a valid interpretation. I don't know. Maybe I'm the strange one for not seeing the way most people interpreted it.

As I was reading your comment I wanted to provide my own perspective on human (or dragon) vs nature split from an anthropological view (my current studies). I feel an earlier comment of mine on this thread relates:

"This dynamic reflects the nature/culture dualism ideologies that colonizers use to assign racialized superiority to themselves and inferiority to indigenous groups to justify land dispossession, segregation, ethnocide, exploitation and many other harmful practices."

The country I'm from is steeped in nature/culture media and I never realized that reflected a support for the colonizers of my country and dehumanized the indigenous peoples until I learned the roots of the nature/culture split. It's heavily influenced by the medieval Euro-Christian 'Great Chain of Being' (it justified exploitation of flora and fauna with the argument that they were created to be in service of humanity). It was then furthered by Descartes' Cartesian Dualism which argued that manners and rationality made humans distinct from flora/fauna who were incapable of consciousness and rationality (which justified abuse against them because they 'couldn't feel anything'). These ideologies were then used against indigenous peoples and other marginalized groups, who were lumped into the nature category, and thus devalued, exploited and considered 'disposable'. The nature/culture split involves a disturbing amount of colonial ideas although the dualism history is often obscured to hide this fact.

For those interested, scholars like Haraway and Tsing (Unruly Edges: Mushrooms as Companion Species), Patel and Moore (History of the World in 7 Cheap Things) and Kyle Whyte (Indigenous Climate Change Studies: Indigenizing Futures, Decolonizing the Anthropocene) cover this topic.
Keraunia Hatchery
[quote name="Undel" date="2022-12-14 14:15:01" ] We did not feel that the genocide, cultural erasure (in the original harpy articles the war was causing them to lose their culture), and loss of territory to an overwhelming force were something we wanted in a game when the creatures this was happening to looked so much like humans. This does not mean that harpies and dragons are always buddies. Though the harpies have a close alliance with the majority of wind clans, other flights treat them with a more cautious approach and may have their own alliances with different Beastclans. And those big shapes harassing even the harpies in the Windswept Plateau? Those aren't ancients. [b]In other words, we simply chose what we did and did not want in our game, and we decided that the colonialism parallels were something we did not want to have in our story.[/b] And we especially did not like the fact our unresolved story placed our players in the parallel position of destructive aggressors. There is still conflict and dark themes in the world of Sornieth. The dragon flights remain antagonistic towards one another. Dragons follow primal elemental forces as their guiding principles. There's a worker's revolution in Fire, a catastrophic proliferation of magic vs technology in Arcane and Lightning, a wartime standstill between Plague and Nature, things from deep in the stone being dug up in Earth, otherworldly threats forever jailed except maybe...not?, missing prophetic deities, an energy-sucking otherworldly force infesting Sornieth, and an overwhelming surge of elemental energy to name a few. Plus the fact that dragons—like people—aren't always going to get along with each other. [/quote] Thank you for the explanation, I feel like it addresses a lot [emoji=paintbrush size=1]
Undel wrote on 2022-12-14 14:15:01:
We did not feel that the genocide, cultural erasure (in the original harpy articles the war was causing them to lose their culture), and loss of territory to an overwhelming force were something we wanted in a game when the creatures this was happening to looked so much like humans. This does not mean that harpies and dragons are always buddies. Though the harpies have a close alliance with the majority of wind clans, other flights treat them with a more cautious approach and may have their own alliances with different Beastclans. And those big shapes harassing even the harpies in the Windswept Plateau? Those aren't ancients.

In other words, we simply chose what we did and did not want in our game, and we decided that the colonialism parallels were something we did not want to have in our story. And we especially did not like the fact our unresolved story placed our players in the parallel position of destructive aggressors.

There is still conflict and dark themes in the world of Sornieth. The dragon flights remain antagonistic towards one another. Dragons follow primal elemental forces as their guiding principles. There's a worker's revolution in Fire, a catastrophic proliferation of magic vs technology in Arcane and Lightning, a wartime standstill between Plague and Nature, things from deep in the stone being dug up in Earth, otherworldly threats forever jailed except maybe...not?, missing prophetic deities, an energy-sucking otherworldly force infesting Sornieth, and an overwhelming surge of elemental energy to name a few. Plus the fact that dragons—like people—aren't always going to get along with each other.
Thank you for the explanation, I feel like it addresses a lot
ckoudy.png -
ALPH PHRUSSIA He/him | FR+15
 » About me
 » Accent Shop
Oh yeah, you guys should probably rewrite the Dominance page text a little bit- it still mentions "newly-emboldened Beastclan hordes" which is pretty derogatory and also doesn't fit the rewritten lore
Oh yeah, you guys should probably rewrite the Dominance page text a little bit- it still mentions "newly-emboldened Beastclan hordes" which is pretty derogatory and also doesn't fit the rewritten lore
KTRqLr.gif dHC8aP1.png
CioCFC3.png
or7Yz8j.png
jA5A7gu.png
bYt72YT.png
2VtxnMX.png
PpMY10h.png
mlHpBMC.png
KTRLDg.png
1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66