Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 65 66
i'm excited for the new lore! i've honestly never gone through all of the lore before, but i definitely see why it's good to retcon. the scene and new art for the harpies are gorgeous !!!
i'm excited for the new lore! i've honestly never gone through all of the lore before, but i definitely see why it's good to retcon. the scene and new art for the harpies are gorgeous !!!
___ lilypads_2.png ___

NaWGh2t.png atlas ! fr+0
he/him nb5YUNX.png advAsr3.png aroace_2.png
dom shop | wishlist | icon dragon

I have to say this is one of the rare times I feel ambivalent towards an update! Most of the time I'm completely on board with changes and additions to the game, but in this case... (Also please note, this is my take on the update - I haven't been reading the replies to this thread other than those made by staff themselves so I'm a bit unaware of what the rest of everyone else is saying!) Well, for one. This is an [i]excellent[/i] step in the right direction, and I'm very happy to see Flight Rising's staff listen to the playerbase and address these concerns. I think over the years I've been here (I've been an active player since the launch month), I've just continued to see the FR team get better and better at communication and listening to player feedback, and this is one of those times where I'm very happy to see the change and growth here. Reading through the lore, regarding this point: "Male fledglings are a rare and treasured birth. Due to their scarcity, these harpies do not usually leave the protection of the flock in order to ensure the continuation of harpykind. [b]While they rarely join individual family units, who they choose to mate with is solely their decision and that decision is respected.[/b]" (Bolding the line I want to point out, for emphasis.) I have to say I'm really happy this particular piece of information was added to the lore. For quite some time I'd found the male harpy lore a little... concerning? I won't fully get into why since this is a PG-13 site obviously, but let's just say the implications it gave off before when it was [i]so vague[/i] about the male harpies was... not good. So this makes me [b]very[/b] happy this was included, just relieve any concerns of consent in their choice of partners! So thank you so much for thinking to add this into their new lore. I am also really, absolutely loving that we get more information about their culture and lives. As someone who's very invested in the lore of Sornieth, I've been curious about how many of the Beastclans function for quite some time, so I'm thrilled we're getting so much delicious bits of information and culture with these updates! This will be fantastic for working into my own lore in the future. It's also really neat to see how Talona's position has changed from being basically the leader of the faction of Beastclan in direct opposition to dragonkind, vs. is now more-so the authoritative leadership ("Grand Roc") over the harpies, specifically. Speaking of, I'm pretty sure there's a Tomo Trivia question that asks about Talon specifically; if this hasn't been changed or removed, might be a good idea to jot that one down on the list of "things needing to be changed"? I apologize if this has already gotten mentioned; again I personally haven't read through 40+ pages of replies, aha! My overall take on this is very positive and I'm glad to see these changes. However... part of the reason I mentioned ambivalence is mostly just because, as someone who works the lore heavily into my own (and I actually do have quite a bit of lore for my dragons and clan, I just haven't shared it on-site for the most part because I am a slow writer and a busy person), this retcon is going to cause me some issues, and I'm going to actually have to sit down and rewrite some chunks of my own personal lore and narrative. Obviously this is just a "me issue," but... it's... admittedly... a [i]little[/i] stressful to do when I'm... already an incredibly slow person, and this just makes it... more difficult for me to share my content, aha. I really don't have any [i]official[/i] complaints about this update. I'm just personally stressed out now with needing to factor this into my lore. I think I'll have to wait until the Beastclan's revised lore is fully out before I can really see how this will work with what I have and what needs to be changed from a bird's eye viewpoint / perspective (pun intended) of the overall picture / direction the staff are going with it. In conclusion: I love the update! I just don't love having more work to do in the background because of the retcon, and that's just a me issue since I've been... invested in the lore since 2013, and this will take a lot of time getting used to. (This is also a case of "autistic person doesn't do well with completely unexpected routine changes" thing going on. I think I just need some time to process this, but this makes me feel overwhelmed and just a bit distressed aha.) This last section though of the new harpy update: "While the alliance in the Zephyr Steppes has been regarded as strong and mutually beneficial, there have been reports of harpy wings who patrol outside their cities being harried by [b]enormous, winged shapes in the night[/b]. Thus far neither the harpies nor the allied dragons of the Zephyr Steppes have been able to identify a culprit." Staff already clarified - these aren't Ancients! And if they're not Ancients, then what could they possibly be? I wonder if this is the new threat the obelisks were created to protect us from - The Returned? I have to say this little juicy bit of lore is so incredibly exciting! Thanks for leaving us something to have some hype over too, staff. The ongoing mystery of "What Is Going On" is really, really fascinating to me, and I love very little teeny tidbit we get of it! Anyways, cheers everyone. I hope y'all are having a lovely day and thank you for the much needed update, staff! Stay safe everyone! [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
I have to say this is one of the rare times I feel ambivalent towards an update! Most of the time I'm completely on board with changes and additions to the game, but in this case... (Also please note, this is my take on the update - I haven't been reading the replies to this thread other than those made by staff themselves so I'm a bit unaware of what the rest of everyone else is saying!)

Well, for one. This is an excellent step in the right direction, and I'm very happy to see Flight Rising's staff listen to the playerbase and address these concerns. I think over the years I've been here (I've been an active player since the launch month), I've just continued to see the FR team get better and better at communication and listening to player feedback, and this is one of those times where I'm very happy to see the change and growth here.

Reading through the lore, regarding this point: "Male fledglings are a rare and treasured birth. Due to their scarcity, these harpies do not usually leave the protection of the flock in order to ensure the continuation of harpykind. While they rarely join individual family units, who they choose to mate with is solely their decision and that decision is respected." (Bolding the line I want to point out, for emphasis.) I have to say I'm really happy this particular piece of information was added to the lore. For quite some time I'd found the male harpy lore a little... concerning? I won't fully get into why since this is a PG-13 site obviously, but let's just say the implications it gave off before when it was so vague about the male harpies was... not good. So this makes me very happy this was included, just relieve any concerns of consent in their choice of partners! So thank you so much for thinking to add this into their new lore.

I am also really, absolutely loving that we get more information about their culture and lives. As someone who's very invested in the lore of Sornieth, I've been curious about how many of the Beastclans function for quite some time, so I'm thrilled we're getting so much delicious bits of information and culture with these updates! This will be fantastic for working into my own lore in the future. It's also really neat to see how Talona's position has changed from being basically the leader of the faction of Beastclan in direct opposition to dragonkind, vs. is now more-so the authoritative leadership ("Grand Roc") over the harpies, specifically.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure there's a Tomo Trivia question that asks about Talon specifically; if this hasn't been changed or removed, might be a good idea to jot that one down on the list of "things needing to be changed"? I apologize if this has already gotten mentioned; again I personally haven't read through 40+ pages of replies, aha!

My overall take on this is very positive and I'm glad to see these changes. However... part of the reason I mentioned ambivalence is mostly just because, as someone who works the lore heavily into my own (and I actually do have quite a bit of lore for my dragons and clan, I just haven't shared it on-site for the most part because I am a slow writer and a busy person), this retcon is going to cause me some issues, and I'm going to actually have to sit down and rewrite some chunks of my own personal lore and narrative. Obviously this is just a "me issue," but... it's... admittedly... a little stressful to do when I'm... already an incredibly slow person, and this just makes it... more difficult for me to share my content, aha.

I really don't have any official complaints about this update. I'm just personally stressed out now with needing to factor this into my lore. I think I'll have to wait until the Beastclan's revised lore is fully out before I can really see how this will work with what I have and what needs to be changed from a bird's eye viewpoint / perspective (pun intended) of the overall picture / direction the staff are going with it. In conclusion: I love the update! I just don't love having more work to do in the background because of the retcon, and that's just a me issue since I've been... invested in the lore since 2013, and this will take a lot of time getting used to. (This is also a case of "autistic person doesn't do well with completely unexpected routine changes" thing going on. I think I just need some time to process this, but this makes me feel overwhelmed and just a bit distressed aha.)

This last section though of the new harpy update:

"While the alliance in the Zephyr Steppes has been regarded as strong and mutually beneficial, there have been reports of harpy wings who patrol outside their cities being harried by enormous, winged shapes in the night. Thus far neither the harpies nor the allied dragons of the Zephyr Steppes have been able to identify a culprit."

Staff already clarified - these aren't Ancients! And if they're not Ancients, then what could they possibly be? I wonder if this is the new threat the obelisks were created to protect us from - The Returned? I have to say this little juicy bit of lore is so incredibly exciting! Thanks for leaving us something to have some hype over too, staff. The ongoing mystery of "What Is Going On" is really, really fascinating to me, and I love very little teeny tidbit we get of it!

Anyways, cheers everyone. I hope y'all are having a lovely day and thank you for the much needed update, staff! Stay safe everyone!
2022_fr-signature.png
VAIXATION
(vikes-ZAY-shun)
THEY/THEM/THEIRS
2022_fr-signature-margin.png
2022_fr-profile-divider-4.png
ABOUT || ART || ACCENTS
2022_fr-profile-divider-1.png
2022_fr-signature-2.png
Glad to see this change, thanks for all you do FR team! I feel this was handled really well considering the overwhelming sentiment of players.
Glad to see this change, thanks for all you do FR team! I feel this was handled really well considering the overwhelming sentiment of players.
Ma2cHRs.png wSV5Nuk.png
c3TCj1D.png
sb1yviE.png
Ah... not a big fan of retconning it as I was never under the impression that these dragons warring for territory against each other were going to be particularly nice to other species (not that that really affects player lore, you're not obliged to follow canon and only about 1/5 of lore I've seen does), and I think any conflict you write in a fantasy setting will draw parallels to real life. We draw ideas from our reality, after all.

But! considering it was apparently upsetting many, it seems like a decent change.

also, want to add that the artisan familiar is so so cute and i love him and i haven't seen his art yet but i'm proud of it already and even if it isn't conventionally good he is so so good in my heart.
Ah... not a big fan of retconning it as I was never under the impression that these dragons warring for territory against each other were going to be particularly nice to other species (not that that really affects player lore, you're not obliged to follow canon and only about 1/5 of lore I've seen does), and I think any conflict you write in a fantasy setting will draw parallels to real life. We draw ideas from our reality, after all.

But! considering it was apparently upsetting many, it seems like a decent change.

also, want to add that the artisan familiar is so so cute and i love him and i haven't seen his art yet but i'm proud of it already and even if it isn't conventionally good he is so so good in my heart.
q71Kifl.png o_o
maocifer || 227254

sack of meat haphazardly
controlled by dumdum goblin
brain ... with a wishlist
i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars?

maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...?

i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them myself but i am curious to know what others think!

don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it so well imo!
i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars?

maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...?

i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them myself but i am curious to know what others think!

don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it so well imo!
MUYNhfy.pngePOliyb.pngJ7D1quC.pngzm4A1gT.pngkCg59Z2.png5hF3FGk.png
[quote name="sardines" date="2022-12-14 16:49:32" ] i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars? maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...? i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo! [/quote] familiars vary from pets (to non-sapient monsters) to companions, friends, etc. Familiar is just a catch all term
sardines wrote on 2022-12-14 16:49:32:

i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel

don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo!

familiars vary from pets (to non-sapient monsters) to companions, friends, etc. Familiar is just a catch all term
21059.png Lemmy or Baku, but feel free to make up new nicknames for me.

Any pronouns | Japanese
Ping me when replying, I love to chat with people.
-- kMi3VrI.png
[quote name="callizinc" date="2022-12-14 16:39:11" ] i'm really excited for the longneck revamp, whenever it comes (i think they're So cute) but also the serthis revamp, especially! i love mythological nagas already and i've always thought the serthis designs were so cool! [/quote] The serthis revamp will be really interesting. I'm hoping the serthis lore keeps its alien-ish nature that it currently has so that yes, they're a developed culture, but still one that makes the reader a little apprehensive. (I guess kinda how I view Plague and Nature lore - fascinating and developed but also unnerving and sometimes hostile.)
callizinc wrote on 2022-12-14 16:39:11:
i'm really excited for the longneck revamp, whenever it comes (i think they're So cute) but also the serthis revamp, especially! i love mythological nagas already and i've always thought the serthis designs were so cool!

The serthis revamp will be really interesting. I'm hoping the serthis lore keeps its alien-ish nature that it currently has so that yes, they're a developed culture, but still one that makes the reader a little apprehensive. (I guess kinda how I view Plague and Nature lore - fascinating and developed but also unnerving and sometimes hostile.)
LxbWmll.png
[quote name="sardines" date="2022-12-14 16:49:32" ] i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars? maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...? i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo! [/quote] Familiars can be seen as pets in someway if you really want to or you could think of it as a working relationship or great friendship it really depends on the person

i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel

don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo!
Familiars can be seen as pets in someway if you really want to or you could think of it as a working relationship or great friendship it really depends on the person
|Ello I'm Awoken, She/her, FR+8, I am a bunch of lizards in a coat, Profile dragon|
WyB8X7e.jpg
[quote name="sardines" date="2022-12-14 16:49:32" ] i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars? maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...? i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo! [/quote] I think lore-wise "familiar" is meant to be a catch-all term for "companion" - kind of how we, in real life, sometimes call dogs or cats our companions, but we also use the term for humans (as in "traveling with your companion/s")! So familiars could be a dragon's pet, or their friend/mentor/apprentice/business partner, depending. I also don't think there's any clarification on-site LOL so ymmv, but that's how I've always interpreted it. EDIT: oh like six other people have said basically the same thing since I started writing the post, I am so sorry.

I think lore-wise "familiar" is meant to be a catch-all term for "companion" - kind of how we, in real life, sometimes call dogs or cats our companions, but we also use the term for humans (as in "traveling with your companion/s")! So familiars could be a dragon's pet, or their friend/mentor/apprentice/business partner, depending.

I also don't think there's any clarification on-site LOL so ymmv, but that's how I've always interpreted it.

EDIT: oh like six other people have said basically the same thing since I started writing the post, I am so sorry.
Deepwing Clan
[quote name="delsomebody" date="2022-12-14 16:37:02" ] Sorry if it's been asked but will this impact the little scraps of paper frim the event? The items with the cipher that lead up to the release of the Rise of the Beastclan? Will they stop dropping or anything like that? [/quote] I was also wondering about this. The paper items haven't had a use on the site for years now (except for clogging up hoards and occasionally being asked for by Crim), and now that the lore event they were teasing has been retconned they're even more useless. I know I certainly wouldn't miss getting them from chests.
delsomebody wrote on 2022-12-14 16:37:02:
Sorry if it's been asked but will this impact the little scraps of paper frim the event? The items with the cipher that lead up to the release of the Rise of the Beastclan? Will they stop dropping or anything like that?

I was also wondering about this. The paper items haven't had a use on the site for years now (except for clogging up hoards and occasionally being asked for by Crim), and now that the lore event they were teasing has been retconned they're even more useless. I know I certainly wouldn't miss getting them from chests.
jt3PpxV.png
Currently looking for:
avocado/aqua/sable male, preferably with nature eyes
Abyss and Copper XXX Veils
1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 65 66