Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Can't do accents in dragon names?
1 2
@PantasticalCat Hello! Your question has been moved to the Help Center! General Discussion isn't for site-related topics. Thanks!
@PantasticalCat Hello! Your question has been moved to the Help Center! General Discussion isn't for site-related topics. Thanks!
Tundra with the words 'Love is the Brightest Light'
Volunteer Moderator :If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation, please feel free to use the Contact Us form.
so this question is in the help forum now but I'm not sure how that helps honestly since it's not even possible at all by the site to have symbols and accents in dragon names, I did end up making a post in the suggestions area, so maybe it'll garner some attention.
so this question is in the help forum now but I'm not sure how that helps honestly since it's not even possible at all by the site to have symbols and accents in dragon names, I did end up making a post in the suggestions area, so maybe it'll garner some attention.
@Almedha I reject the fact that they were rejected! that's dumb! you mean to tell me there are dozens of games that have censorship systems that are able to detect when players use accents and symbols to "swear" and still allow those accents and symbols in other words but FR can't do that? I mean, if it was like some kind of coding issue like someone suggested in the post I made in the suggestions forum, that would at least make more sense than this but this excuse just feels lazy to me, and I'm not sorry for saying that. Of course, I've yet to come across an actual mod or dev excuse so none of us can say for sure, but still.

EDIT: someone on my other post found the response where the devs basically admitted that the whole reason for this is censorship and filtering, I am IRATE right now.

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3179759#post_52581370
@Almedha I reject the fact that they were rejected! that's dumb! you mean to tell me there are dozens of games that have censorship systems that are able to detect when players use accents and symbols to "swear" and still allow those accents and symbols in other words but FR can't do that? I mean, if it was like some kind of coding issue like someone suggested in the post I made in the suggestions forum, that would at least make more sense than this but this excuse just feels lazy to me, and I'm not sorry for saying that. Of course, I've yet to come across an actual mod or dev excuse so none of us can say for sure, but still.

EDIT: someone on my other post found the response where the devs basically admitted that the whole reason for this is censorship and filtering, I am IRATE right now.

[quote name="@PantasticalCat" date="2022-11-16 16:01:12" ] @/Almedha I reject the fact that they were rejected! that's dumb! you mean to tell me there are dozens of games that have censorship systems that are able to detect when players use accents and symbols to "swear" and still allow those accents and symbols in other words but FR can't do that? I mean, if it was like some kind of coding issue like someone suggested in the post I made in the suggestions forum, that would at least make more sense than this but this excuse just feels lazy to me, and I'm not sorry for saying that. Of course, I've yet to come across an actual mod or dev excuse so none of us can say for sure, but still. EDIT: someone on my other post found the response where the devs basically admitted that the whole reason for this is censorship and filtering, I am IRATE right now. https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3179759#post_52581370 [/quote] I don't mean to tell anyone anything except it's dumb to think English speakers don't think of other languages (especially since some of these words with diacritics are so common to English-speakers that they are essentially English words). That's what I was responding to, and also offering the explanation. I'm also (explicitly, in fact) not telling you I think it's a good reason. I think I said the opposite, in fact. Either way, the only way to really reject their decision is to stop playing. That's the way it works. But it is worth pointing out that the team that runs this site is quite small. They've also said they'd like to have support for other languages in the forums and such, but they can't. I don't know what would have to happen for them to feel like they can. I do know that translation work is expensive, and moderating a live site is an ongoing proposition, so it's not something that can just [i]be done[/i]. And for all the "dozens of games" that have support for languages other than the primary, there are many, [i]many[/i] more that do not. And, obviously, there are always way more languages without support than those that have support. I would love to be able to add accent marks and whatnot to the dragons I have who are supposed to have them, and I personally think that moderation concerns is too small a concern to justify not having them - for dragon names. Not having them in the forums doesn't bother me and I think that's probably too much for a small team. And I think the moderation of dragon names is simple enough to allow for more than the letters we have now. I find it interesting we can use [i]ä[/i] in the forums though... I wonder if that's an oversight. We can't use it in broadcasts.
@PantasticalCat wrote on 2022-11-16 16:01:12:
@/Almedha I reject the fact that they were rejected! that's dumb! you mean to tell me there are dozens of games that have censorship systems that are able to detect when players use accents and symbols to "swear" and still allow those accents and symbols in other words but FR can't do that? I mean, if it was like some kind of coding issue like someone suggested in the post I made in the suggestions forum, that would at least make more sense than this but this excuse just feels lazy to me, and I'm not sorry for saying that. Of course, I've yet to come across an actual mod or dev excuse so none of us can say for sure, but still.

I don't mean to tell anyone anything except it's dumb to think English speakers don't think of other languages (especially since some of these words with diacritics are so common to English-speakers that they are essentially English words). That's what I was responding to, and also offering the explanation. I'm also (explicitly, in fact) not telling you I think it's a good reason. I think I said the opposite, in fact. Either way, the only way to really reject their decision is to stop playing. That's the way it works.

But it is worth pointing out that the team that runs this site is quite small. They've also said they'd like to have support for other languages in the forums and such, but they can't. I don't know what would have to happen for them to feel like they can. I do know that translation work is expensive, and moderating a live site is an ongoing proposition, so it's not something that can just be done. And for all the "dozens of games" that have support for languages other than the primary, there are many, many more that do not. And, obviously, there are always way more languages without support than those that have support.

I would love to be able to add accent marks and whatnot to the dragons I have who are supposed to have them, and I personally think that moderation concerns is too small a concern to justify not having them - for dragon names. Not having them in the forums doesn't bother me and I think that's probably too much for a small team. And I think the moderation of dragon names is simple enough to allow for more than the letters we have now.

I find it interesting we can use ä in the forums though... I wonder if that's an oversight. We can't use it in broadcasts.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
@almedha no worries, none of that was aimed at you. Just general frustration. I get that it’s a small team and that naturally comes with some limitations, and I honestly have no idea how much effort would go into something like diacritic support, but I guess it just bums me out that they thought censorship and filtering was more important than language support. I understand that they did what they thought was best for the website, I just don’t agree. Also, as far as I know, there are no restrictions in the forums. Ahora, ¿por qué se burlarían de mí así?
@almedha no worries, none of that was aimed at you. Just general frustration. I get that it’s a small team and that naturally comes with some limitations, and I honestly have no idea how much effort would go into something like diacritic support, but I guess it just bums me out that they thought censorship and filtering was more important than language support. I understand that they did what they thought was best for the website, I just don’t agree. Also, as far as I know, there are no restrictions in the forums. Ahora, ¿por qué se burlarían de mí así?
@PantasticalCat
Censorship and moderation have potential legal issues, so yes, it does unfortunately have to take precedence over language support. It's also why FR has a rule about English only in the forums. There are a lot of minors on FR, which means staff have a legal obligation to ensure they aren't exposed to 18+ material... which they can't do unless they understand what's being said. Multiple language support is very rare in games like this, and even in larger ones is often limited to specific languages.
@PantasticalCat
Censorship and moderation have potential legal issues, so yes, it does unfortunately have to take precedence over language support. It's also why FR has a rule about English only in the forums. There are a lot of minors on FR, which means staff have a legal obligation to ensure they aren't exposed to 18+ material... which they can't do unless they understand what's being said. Multiple language support is very rare in games like this, and even in larger ones is often limited to specific languages.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@PantasticalCat

Google has some interesting answers.

There are about 7,100 languages using approximately 100 alphabets with a combined total of over 70k unique characters.

Without commenting on FR's moderation policy I will point out that the number of places we can use non-English characters is diminishing as people keep posting banned content in it.

Neopets deals with this subject by both hiring specific language moderators and allowing only those languages. They also have some of the most zealous moderation I've seen anywhere.

The word "cheetah" was banned. The following sentences was deleted by by the profanity filter:

"I want to go wash. It's not fair I have to wait for the water to heat up."

Custom profanity/content moderation is a constant battle against clever humans, topical content and the sheer breadth of what humanity finds objectionable for children.
@PantasticalCat

Google has some interesting answers.

There are about 7,100 languages using approximately 100 alphabets with a combined total of over 70k unique characters.

Without commenting on FR's moderation policy I will point out that the number of places we can use non-English characters is diminishing as people keep posting banned content in it.

Neopets deals with this subject by both hiring specific language moderators and allowing only those languages. They also have some of the most zealous moderation I've seen anywhere.

The word "cheetah" was banned. The following sentences was deleted by by the profanity filter:

"I want to go wash. It's not fair I have to wait for the water to heat up."

Custom profanity/content moderation is a constant battle against clever humans, topical content and the sheer breadth of what humanity finds objectionable for children.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
[quote name="PantasticalCat" date="2022-11-16 16:01:12" ] @Almedha I reject the fact that they were rejected! that's dumb! you mean to tell me there are dozens of games that have censorship systems that are able to detect when players use accents and symbols to "swear" and still allow those accents and symbols in other words but FR can't do that? I mean, if it was like some kind of coding issue like someone suggested in the post I made in the suggestions forum, that would at least make more sense than this but this excuse just feels lazy to me, and I'm not sorry for saying that. Of course, I've yet to come across an actual mod or dev excuse so none of us can say for sure, but still. EDIT: someone on my other post found the response where the devs basically admitted that the whole reason for this is censorship and filtering, I am IRATE right now. https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3179759#post_52581370 [/quote] Hello @PantasticalCat, thank you for your feedback. I understand how this can feel like a personal slight and why it would make you feel irate. I apologize for any frustration caused by our content moderation policies. These decisions are made due to the repeated choices made by players acting in bad faith or malice, exploiting the fact we are a small team unable to support a multi-lingual platform at this time. We've had to clean up some truly vile, deplorable dragon names and broadcasts that sat for far too long because players were able to [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/201441323-Rules-Policies]circumvent our rules[/url][/b] via special characters. As many here have noted, special characters for multilingual use are still possible in the forums—just not in dragon names (which show up on the front page) or broadcasts. Moderating a platform with significant user-generated content is a constant balancing act, where each decision is weighed between the well-being of the community, the well-being of the employees tasked with content moderation and clean-up, and the company. We are doing our best with the resources we have. I hope this information helps clarify any concerns or confusion surrounding our decisions. As this is ultimately [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005918783-Non-Gameplay-Feedback]a moderation and policy issue[/url][/b], I am locking this thread. If you would like to make a suggestion regarding policy changes, you can do so through [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/site/contact-us]Contact Us.[/url][/b]
PantasticalCat wrote on 2022-11-16 16:01:12:

Hello @PantasticalCat, thank you for your feedback. I understand how this can feel like a personal slight and why it would make you feel irate. I apologize for any frustration caused by our content moderation policies.

These decisions are made due to the repeated choices made by players acting in bad faith or malice, exploiting the fact we are a small team unable to support a multi-lingual platform at this time. We've had to clean up some truly vile, deplorable dragon names and broadcasts that sat for far too long because players were able to circumvent our rules via special characters.

As many here have noted, special characters for multilingual use are still possible in the forums—just not in dragon names (which show up on the front page) or broadcasts. Moderating a platform with significant user-generated content is a constant balancing act, where each decision is weighed between the well-being of the community, the well-being of the employees tasked with content moderation and clean-up, and the company. We are doing our best with the resources we have.

I hope this information helps clarify any concerns or confusion surrounding our decisions. As this is ultimately a moderation and policy issue, I am locking this thread. If you would like to make a suggestion regarding policy changes, you can do so through Contact Us.
1 2