Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Remove or edit the vomit on Danger Decor
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
no support, really. i think this can be easily interpreted in so many ways, but its extremely unlikely the staff ever intended any of the more gross interpretations. i agree with an earlier commenter that it's most likely meant to be chocolate or caramel due to the general 'ice cream parlour' palette. i don't think its even really drool, since its at the end of the tongue (as if being licked up) and not coming from the mouth. my interpretation is just that its licking up some kind of sweet treat that fell on the floor, like a dog underneath a dinner table.

i agree that image revisions should be reserved for genuinely harmful or dangerous depictions - as well as something i havent seen brought up, but gem marketplace items whose accidental interpretations lead to a loss in sales. in the latter case, FR has a good reason to change the item, because it is not appealing to the market it was designed for. this is a NoTN familiar that is completely F2P and does not cause any loss for FR if it's unappealing. so i dont think it's really worth the effort.

an image blacklist gets brought up a lot, and i have mixed feelings on it. i feel it could only work if the user could determine what images/items/dragons/etc are unviewable for them, because otherwise you have to rely on people who dont have the same phobias/triggers at you determining what is and isnt 'enough'. this would probably address a lot of issues on site and i think is a better solution.

(sidenote: i adore this familiar and think its really cute, it reminds me of a puppy trying to eat your food it DEFINITELY should not be eating, haha.)
no support, really. i think this can be easily interpreted in so many ways, but its extremely unlikely the staff ever intended any of the more gross interpretations. i agree with an earlier commenter that it's most likely meant to be chocolate or caramel due to the general 'ice cream parlour' palette. i don't think its even really drool, since its at the end of the tongue (as if being licked up) and not coming from the mouth. my interpretation is just that its licking up some kind of sweet treat that fell on the floor, like a dog underneath a dinner table.

i agree that image revisions should be reserved for genuinely harmful or dangerous depictions - as well as something i havent seen brought up, but gem marketplace items whose accidental interpretations lead to a loss in sales. in the latter case, FR has a good reason to change the item, because it is not appealing to the market it was designed for. this is a NoTN familiar that is completely F2P and does not cause any loss for FR if it's unappealing. so i dont think it's really worth the effort.

an image blacklist gets brought up a lot, and i have mixed feelings on it. i feel it could only work if the user could determine what images/items/dragons/etc are unviewable for them, because otherwise you have to rely on people who dont have the same phobias/triggers at you determining what is and isnt 'enough'. this would probably address a lot of issues on site and i think is a better solution.

(sidenote: i adore this familiar and think its really cute, it reminds me of a puppy trying to eat your food it DEFINITELY should not be eating, haha.)
z6T37Eh.png
DaaGADQ.png
bgYKZct.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
-
Ouro : 24 : They/Xey/She
Lightning Dom Coordinator
I love pings! I don't bite~
- reactorfour_kalashnikov.pngreactorfour_ted2.png
an image blocking system is a good compromise that we really need on this site anyway, like in general...an accent was approved for ror this year that is SUPER trypophobia triggering, i'm someone who can look at jag/ros with no problem and this accent freaks me out so much. we really need a system for individual users to easily block images on their end.
an image blocking system is a good compromise that we really need on this site anyway, like in general...an accent was approved for ror this year that is SUPER trypophobia triggering, i'm someone who can look at jag/ros with no problem and this accent freaks me out so much. we really need a system for individual users to easily block images on their end.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
[quote name="Ossium" date="2022-10-23 15:27:13" ] Ya'll are right. Let's make it white. [/quote] Maybe it's just my ruined mind but this is [i]cursed[/i].
Ossium wrote on 2022-10-23 15:27:13:
Ya'll are right. Let's make it white.
Maybe it's just my ruined mind but this is cursed.
KdSMN2F.png
[quote name="Kuroikumo" date="2022-10-23 16:46:31" ] an image blocking system is a good compromise that we really need on this site anyway, like in general...an accent was approved for ror this year that is SUPER trypophobia triggering, i'm someone who can look at jag/ros with no problem and this accent freaks me out so much. we really need a system for individual users to easily block images on their end. [/quote] This I agree with. An on-site customizable block would be wonderful.
Kuroikumo wrote on 2022-10-23 16:46:31:
This I agree with. An on-site customizable block would be wonderful.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2022-10-24 08:42:20" ] [quote name="Kuroikumo" date="2022-10-23 16:46:31" ] an image blocking system is a good compromise that we really need on this site anyway, like in general...an accent was approved for ror this year that is SUPER trypophobia triggering, i'm someone who can look at jag/ros with no problem and this accent freaks me out so much. we really need a system for individual users to easily block images on their end. [/quote] This I agree with. An on-site customizable block would be wonderful. [/quote] Lol, even me who constantly wants harder Plague aesthetic found that trypophobic skin a bit skeezy
gemajgall wrote on 2022-10-24 08:42:20:
Lol, even me who constantly wants harder Plague aesthetic found that trypophobic skin a bit skeezy
[quote name="JonSnOwO" date="2022-10-22 21:48:13" ] [quote name="Churrell" date="2022-10-22 07:50:26" ] [quote name="Twizz" date="2022-10-21 21:15:07" ] An on-site image filter may be a potential solution at some point in the future and players would be able to filter out whatever images they find uncomfortable be it familiars, foods, skins or what have you. [/quote] Always and forever in support of this! [/quote] I would much rather see this than an artwork change, tbh. There's some stuff I'd rather not look at and it would be nice to toggle it greyed out or something. [/quote] As someone without any real opinion on the familiar (I never knew it existed until this board, and of course the Battlelisks definitely struck me super fast - glad they were fixed!), I definitely agree about the customizable onsite filter. There are some more realistic arachnid/insect items that honestly kinda freak me out buuuut I need them for Hibden so in the vault they go and when that is finally done, they'll become food. But I still dislike them because I just don't like spiders and the Slender Ant in particular looks creepy and gross compared to some of the less realistically drawn items (huge props to the artist for doing a great job with realism, though!). Same with the Black Widow(?) Vista. Also, I am primarily a mobile/(old) iOS player so most addons aren't compatible with my devices, nor do I have space to download them. Edited a little, but for the filter and not knowing why you can't view something, maybe there could be a black box or something that says "Blocked due to containing spiders or arachnid features" or "blocked for containing Multi-Gaze", something like that, but the user can maybe hover over it, and still read the name. They just won't see the actual item, only things like the category (food, apparel, familiar, etc) and its purposes (Hibden slots, Baldwin materials, basic/no special purpose, etc). Because yeah, just because I dislike seeing those realistic spiders doesn't mean I don't want to know what the item IS or it's purpose. XD (forgot to add, please don't ping me or PM about this thread; I am just giving an opinion/suggestion, and not trying to start an argument)
JonSnOwO wrote on 2022-10-22 21:48:13:
Churrell wrote on 2022-10-22 07:50:26:
Twizz wrote on 2022-10-21 21:15:07:
An on-site image filter may be a potential solution at some point in the future and players would be able to filter out whatever images they find uncomfortable be it familiars, foods, skins or what have you.
Always and forever in support of this!

I would much rather see this than an artwork change, tbh. There's some stuff I'd rather not look at and it would be nice to toggle it greyed out or something.

As someone without any real opinion on the familiar (I never knew it existed until this board, and of course the Battlelisks definitely struck me super fast - glad they were fixed!), I definitely agree about the customizable onsite filter. There are some more realistic arachnid/insect items that honestly kinda freak me out buuuut I need them for Hibden so in the vault they go and when that is finally done, they'll become food. But I still dislike them because I just don't like spiders and the Slender Ant in particular looks creepy and gross compared to some of the less realistically drawn items (huge props to the artist for doing a great job with realism, though!).
Same with the Black Widow(?) Vista.

Also, I am primarily a mobile/(old) iOS player so most addons aren't compatible with my devices, nor do I have space to download them.

Edited a little, but for the filter and not knowing why you can't view something, maybe there could be a black box or something that says "Blocked due to containing spiders or arachnid features" or "blocked for containing Multi-Gaze", something like that, but the user can maybe hover over it, and still read the name. They just won't see the actual item, only things like the category (food, apparel, familiar, etc) and its purposes (Hibden slots, Baldwin materials, basic/no special purpose, etc). Because yeah, just because I dislike seeing those realistic spiders doesn't mean I don't want to know what the item IS or it's purpose. XD

(forgot to add, please don't ping me or PM about this thread; I am just giving an opinion/suggestion, and not trying to start an argument)
Rainbow.
Rainbow.
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
[quote name="Churrell" date="2022-10-24 09:54:43" ] [quote name="gemajgall" date="2022-10-24 08:42:20" ] [quote name="Kuroikumo" date="2022-10-23 16:46:31" ] an image blocking system is a good compromise that we really need on this site anyway, like in general...an accent was approved for ror this year that is SUPER trypophobia triggering, i'm someone who can look at jag/ros with no problem and this accent freaks me out so much. we really need a system for individual users to easily block images on their end. [/quote] This I agree with. An on-site customizable block would be wonderful. [/quote] Lol, even me who constantly wants harder Plague aesthetic found that trypophobic skin a bit skeezy [/quote] OK IT WASN'T JUST ME Also, always and forever support a toggle where people can curate their own viewing. ...I like the idea of making the, uh, drool? puke? whatever it is? rainbow-colored.
Churrell wrote on 2022-10-24 09:54:43:
gemajgall wrote on 2022-10-24 08:42:20:
Lol, even me who constantly wants harder Plague aesthetic found that trypophobic skin a bit skeezy

OK IT WASN'T JUST ME

Also, always and forever support a toggle where people can curate their own viewing.

...I like the idea of making the, uh, drool? puke? whatever it is? rainbow-colored.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
...for what it's worth, if my memory serves (it doesn't always, but I think it is working here), there absolutely WERE people who were like, "Uhhhhhhhhhhh...???" when this thing first came out.

It's not even just that the "drool" is brown, it's the specific shade of brown that calls to mind all manner of unpleasant bodily excretions. As players, we would not probably be ToS compliant if there was art made of a dragon that could be mistaken for eating poo/barf, so I think there's a good case that could be made that it shouldn't really be like this in official art, either.
...for what it's worth, if my memory serves (it doesn't always, but I think it is working here), there absolutely WERE people who were like, "Uhhhhhhhhhhh...???" when this thing first came out.

It's not even just that the "drool" is brown, it's the specific shade of brown that calls to mind all manner of unpleasant bodily excretions. As players, we would not probably be ToS compliant if there was art made of a dragon that could be mistaken for eating poo/barf, so I think there's a good case that could be made that it shouldn't really be like this in official art, either.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

[quote name="Renaiwom" date="2022-10-24 21:28:12" ] ...for what it's worth, if my memory serves (it doesn't always, but I think it is working here), there absolutely WERE people who were like, "Uhhhhhhhhhhh...???" when this thing first came out. It's not even just that the "drool" is brown, it's the specific shade of brown that calls to mind all manner of unpleasant bodily excretions. As players, we would not probably be ToS compliant if there was art made of a dragon that could be mistaken for eating poo/barf, so I think there's a good case that could be made that it shouldn't really be like this in official art, either. [/quote] So I had absolutely nothing better to do with my life, hence I went looking to see how big a deal this familiar actually was at the time. Not accounting for anything the Devs may have deleted for spam/whatever reasons, there is exactly [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3084535/41#post_49810665]1 unique mention[/url] of this familiar on the NOTN 2021 announcement thread (there's somebody who [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3084535/42#post_49811529]quoted this reply[/url] but didn't do anything other than vaguely react to it). FR Discussion is awful for trying to find specific discussion topics in because nobody uses titles correctly, but I looked through the entire 2 weeks+ that NOTN ran and could only locate [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3086421/1]1 thread[/url] that points out the familiar and...it's barely 5 pages long and the tone is mostly joke-y. There's maybe a couple people who are somewhat bothered by it, but considering this is FR and people usually have no trouble making multiple threads about something they don't like, I'm gonna rate this a 0.5/10 in terms of the playerbase visibly taking note. The extra funny thing is that people are having literally the same discussion on that thread about what the "drool" could also be as is being had here. Just...you know, more casually. tl;dr this really wasn't a big deal when it was released. I personally still don't think it should be changed because of somebody giving the art the worst possible interpretation and because emetophobia shouldn't be treated any more special than other (frankly more common) phobias by the Devs. There's also nothing inherently wrong with crude/body humor for a T-rated site (the Gaseous Megashrimp outright alludes to under-water farts for example) even if that was vomit (it's not). A site-wide image filter wouldn't play favorites with the playerbase and solve this and a host of other common image/hoard/gene-related suggestions.
Renaiwom wrote on 2022-10-24 21:28:12:

So I had absolutely nothing better to do with my life, hence I went looking to see how big a deal this familiar actually was at the time.

Not accounting for anything the Devs may have deleted for spam/whatever reasons, there is exactly 1 unique mention of this familiar on the NOTN 2021 announcement thread (there's somebody who quoted this reply but didn't do anything other than vaguely react to it).

FR Discussion is awful for trying to find specific discussion topics in because nobody uses titles correctly, but I looked through the entire 2 weeks+ that NOTN ran and could only locate 1 thread that points out the familiar and...it's barely 5 pages long and the tone is mostly joke-y. There's maybe a couple people who are somewhat bothered by it, but considering this is FR and people usually have no trouble making multiple threads about something they don't like, I'm gonna rate this a 0.5/10 in terms of the playerbase visibly taking note.

The extra funny thing is that people are having literally the same discussion on that thread about what the "drool" could also be as is being had here. Just...you know, more casually.

tl;dr this really wasn't a big deal when it was released.

I personally still don't think it should be changed because of somebody giving the art the worst possible interpretation and because emetophobia shouldn't be treated any more special than other (frankly more common) phobias by the Devs. There's also nothing inherently wrong with crude/body humor for a T-rated site (the Gaseous Megashrimp outright alludes to under-water farts for example) even if that was vomit (it's not).

A site-wide image filter wouldn't play favorites with the playerbase and solve this and a host of other common image/hoard/gene-related suggestions.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7