Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Dragon sizing and lore
1 2 3
Oh dear....Is it just me or is writing lore with the enormous size range of dragons extremely difficult? Also why is the fae so enormous on the home page banner? WHY ARE COATLS SO BIG?! Mirrors are literal bugs, faes are mosquitos..also it concerns me I can breed a ridgeback and fae together.
Should I just pretend its not that different rip
Oh dear....Is it just me or is writing lore with the enormous size range of dragons extremely difficult? Also why is the fae so enormous on the home page banner? WHY ARE COATLS SO BIG?! Mirrors are literal bugs, faes are mosquitos..also it concerns me I can breed a ridgeback and fae together.
Should I just pretend its not that different rip
~
i close my eyes at canon sizes. no more canon. I Do Not See
i close my eyes at canon sizes. no more canon. I Do Not See
8aKVtucC_o.png
I'm always so torn whether or not to ignore canon sizes, because they're absurd, or to keep them and enforce them, because that's so funny. Imagine being a Ridgeback or Imperial and having a pen pal and then you finally meet them in real life and they're a Veilspun you could snork up your nose if you're not careful.
I'm always so torn whether or not to ignore canon sizes, because they're absurd, or to keep them and enforce them, because that's so funny. Imagine being a Ridgeback or Imperial and having a pen pal and then you finally meet them in real life and they're a Veilspun you could snork up your nose if you're not careful.
iJZWqi6.png
a3KveD8.png
1fpzX0w.png
Lvsm6NG.png
FObX7rS.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I actually wrote something about that in my clan description... I think while "battle magic" must be earned during a fight "daily magic" can be always used, so with my dragons mostly beeing gigant Gaolers in the Viridian Labyrinth, it seems logical for me that they can use [b]SIZE Magic ( shrink & grow magic)[/b], with all the vines, grass and vegetation i can imagine it gets difficult to navigate the Lab, some places are tigh and beeing a follower of Glademom i dont think they would want to waltz ( and destroy) through the plants to find a way, they instead can shrink themselves down to a tiny size to squeeze through the opening between the vegeration ( wich also makes it harder for enemies to notice or track them down). Same goes for "not able to fly" breeds: they would not make sense in a wind flight, so my cannon for them is flight magic, snappers use it to fly like a gronckel from how to train your dragon ( strengthen their wings and potentially increase the airflow under themselve to fly more agile), while Gaolers use the "air climbing/flying" from Raja and the last dragon... (It is just my cannon [emoji=gaoler winking size=1])
I actually wrote something about that in my clan description...

I think while "battle magic" must be earned during a fight "daily magic" can be always used, so with my dragons mostly beeing gigant Gaolers in the Viridian Labyrinth, it seems logical for me that they can use SIZE Magic ( shrink & grow magic),

with all the vines, grass and vegetation i can imagine it gets difficult to navigate the Lab, some places are tigh and beeing a follower of Glademom i dont think they would want to waltz ( and destroy) through the plants to find a way, they instead can shrink themselves down to a tiny size to squeeze through the opening between the vegeration ( wich also makes it harder for enemies to notice or track them down).

Same goes for "not able to fly" breeds: they would not make sense in a wind flight, so my cannon for them is flight magic, snappers use it to fly like a gronckel from how to train your dragon ( strengthen their wings and potentially increase the airflow under themselve to fly more agile), while Gaolers use the "air climbing/flying" from Raja and the last dragon...

(It is just my cannon )
My support for: All Eye Suggestions in one Thread / Cool Colours / Give/Get Triple-Gened Gaolers / Give/Get Gaoler Dragons
[quote name="Granitore" date="2022-03-19 03:59:12" ] Same goes for "not able to fly" breeds: they would not make sense in a wind flight, so my cannon for them is flight magic, snappers use it to fly like a gronckel from how to train your dragon ( strengthen their wings and potentially increase the airflow under themselve to fly more agile), while Gaolers use the "air climbing/flying" from Raja and the last dragon... (It is just my cannon [emoji=gaoler winking size=1]) [/quote] This is actually canon as well! Snappers can use wind and I believe arcane magic to float themselves. As for myself, I actually unironically like the dragon sizes and find them a lot of more interesting and varied than every dragon being the same uniform size. I like writing bits of lore and culture about how all these dragons interact (cities with ridgeback and imperial populations tend to be more open and less claustrophobic, etc) and for the most part I never had issues putting together canon sizes with designs…. Veilspun being an exception for whatever reason. I just headcanon they can be whatever size they please like actual fae kebdkabsjshd I also believe staff has confirmed multiple times the creation of eggs is magical so ridgie/fae pairs aren’t as bad as they seem, kinda. Tbh for that I just gave all my dragons an optional/second humanoid form that has less size difference in my lore >>
Granitore wrote on 2022-03-19 03:59:12:
Same goes for "not able to fly" breeds: they would not make sense in a wind flight, so my cannon for them is flight magic, snappers use it to fly like a gronckel from how to train your dragon ( strengthen their wings and potentially increase the airflow under themselve to fly more agile), while Gaolers use the "air climbing/flying" from Raja and the last dragon...

(It is just my cannon )

This is actually canon as well! Snappers can use wind and I believe arcane magic to float themselves.

As for myself, I actually unironically like the dragon sizes and find them a lot of more interesting and varied than every dragon being the same uniform size. I like writing bits of lore and culture about how all these dragons interact (cities with ridgeback and imperial populations tend to be more open and less claustrophobic, etc) and for the most part I never had issues putting together canon sizes with designs…. Veilspun being an exception for whatever reason. I just headcanon they can be whatever size they please like actual fae kebdkabsjshd

I also believe staff has confirmed multiple times the creation of eggs is magical so ridgie/fae pairs aren’t as bad as they seem, kinda. Tbh for that I just gave all my dragons an optional/second humanoid form that has less size difference in my lore >>
adopt.pngxxxxxxxx2z8Ghkx.png
@Granitore
Wind and arcane snappers using magic to fly is full on canon! Staff agree with you :)
@Granitore
Wind and arcane snappers using magic to fly is full on canon! Staff agree with you :)
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
I LOVE the size differences. There is so much lore potential. I have multiple 'tab clans' that are basically just faes living in a bigger dragons luggage.
I LOVE the size differences. There is so much lore potential. I have multiple 'tab clans' that are basically just faes living in a bigger dragons luggage.
I just ignore the size differences. Or, well - ignore that they are so extreme!

Faes are still small, Imperials are still large, but the difference is more like a chihuahua and a great dane than, like ... a human and something the size of a skyscraper or larger ... >_>

I just can't see how my dragons could even have conversations and relationships, if canon sizes were real. It would like like me trying to converse with (and not accidentally crush) something the size of a fruit fly. No. I'm not doing it. I refuse. Fine if other people want to, but I can't.

Faes are still small, Imperials are still large, but the difference is more like a chihuahua and a great dane than, like ... a human and something the size of a skyscraper or larger ... >_>

I just can't see how my dragons could even have conversations and relationships, if canon sizes were real. It would like like me trying to converse with (and not accidentally crush) something the size of a fruit fly. No. I'm not doing it. I refuse. Fine if other people want to, but I can't.
A two-toned pink eight-pointed compass rose with the Arcane symbol at the centre, with the word 'adept' hand-written in front of the downwards point
The Spire, home of the Lundlaevungar: a crystal island shaped like an inverted mountain floating above the sea in a yellow sky
The Pirate Trials button, linking to the thread: a pink pearl with subtle gold sparkles, with 'The Pirate Trials' handwritten in front; the P is an eye patch with a skull on it Arcane Badge depicting the Oculus of the Eleven
Clan Lore

Exalted Dragons

FR+8

they/them
[quote name="Lundlaeva" date="2022-03-19 05:58:47" ] I just ignore the size differences. Or, well - ignore that they are so extreme! Faes are still small, Imperials are still large, but the difference is more like a chihuahua and a great dane than, like ... a human and something the size of a skyscraper or larger ... >_> [/quote] yeah this exactly size differences are fun to write about and worldbuild around! but at the same time, not the ridiculous size differences we see in canon. i [i]could[/i] do it if i really had to, but worldbuilding around canon size differences is not something that interests me nor do i find it fun, so i'd rather not. i absolutely agree with @/Lednik that 'all breeds are the same size' is also boring (for me to write) as well, but... yeah.
Lundlaeva wrote on 2022-03-19 05:58:47:

yeah this exactly
size differences are fun to write about and worldbuild around! but at the same time, not the ridiculous size differences we see in canon. i could do it if i really had to, but worldbuilding around canon size differences is not something that interests me nor do i find it fun, so i'd rather not. i absolutely agree with @/Lednik that 'all breeds are the same size' is also boring (for me to write) as well, but... yeah.
8aKVtucC_o.png
Ah, really neat to see how people embrace or change the sizes of the dragons to fit in with lore! I'm still laughing at the thought of a fae living in a luggage. Personally I think I'll just change the sizing a bit in my lore lol, my imagination is not at that level yet.
Ah, really neat to see how people embrace or change the sizes of the dragons to fit in with lore! I'm still laughing at the thought of a fae living in a luggage. Personally I think I'll just change the sizing a bit in my lore lol, my imagination is not at that level yet.
~
1 2 3