Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | what are you reading? (book suggestions)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
If you like Crime/Thriller then The Last Child by Fran Dorricott is great, It's about this girl named Erin who was the last victim of The Father, a serial killer that only took siblings, she and her brother Alex were taken and she escaped but had no memories of how she escaped or what happened to her brother and Alex was never seen again with the Father never caught.
18 Years later Erin has moved but when Harriet whose cousins were the first victims shows up things get creepy. Erin starts recieving some very sinister gifts and while she thought the Father was dead, maybe He was just waiting...
If you like fantasy then Kelley Armstrong's books are great but definitely for mature audiences, lots of blood and multiple sexual scenes
If you like Crime/Thriller then The Last Child by Fran Dorricott is great, It's about this girl named Erin who was the last victim of The Father, a serial killer that only took siblings, she and her brother Alex were taken and she escaped but had no memories of how she escaped or what happened to her brother and Alex was never seen again with the Father never caught.
18 Years later Erin has moved but when Harriet whose cousins were the first victims shows up things get creepy. Erin starts recieving some very sinister gifts and while she thought the Father was dead, maybe He was just waiting...
If you like fantasy then Kelley Armstrong's books are great but definitely for mature audiences, lots of blood and multiple sexual scenes
I'm active usually around 7-9 or 11-12FR time.
download.png
Dune by Frank Herbert! I'm not even halfway through and it's so good. I'm not usually into space politics, but Dune is written very well.

For the younger folks I recommend the first generation of Warriors by Erin Hunter. I read the first book, Into the Wild, for a book report in grade school and it had me hooked on reading for quite some time.

For older folks who like horror, The Shining by Stephen King is a classic. Honorable mention to The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe, had a lot of fun discussing that one in high school! The Tell-Tale Heart is also interesting and sinister.

The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is great if you love dragons and historical fiction! His Majesty's Dragon was a delight, and Throne of Jade is off to a very intriguing start.

My father is a particular fan of The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. It's a good, but very complicated series.

If you like teen romance with a bit of fantasy, the Shiver series by Maggie Stiefvater has a nostalgic vibe to it that I really miss. An excellent read for those cold, cloudy days. Bonus points if it's snowing.

If you don't want romance, we have my favorite book series so far, The Alchemist Series by Michael Scott. Mythology, magic battles, fantasy, plot twists, it's everything you could ever want! The whole series is an adventure that I highly, highly recommend.
Dune by Frank Herbert! I'm not even halfway through and it's so good. I'm not usually into space politics, but Dune is written very well.

For the younger folks I recommend the first generation of Warriors by Erin Hunter. I read the first book, Into the Wild, for a book report in grade school and it had me hooked on reading for quite some time.

For older folks who like horror, The Shining by Stephen King is a classic. Honorable mention to The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe, had a lot of fun discussing that one in high school! The Tell-Tale Heart is also interesting and sinister.

The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is great if you love dragons and historical fiction! His Majesty's Dragon was a delight, and Throne of Jade is off to a very intriguing start.

My father is a particular fan of The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. It's a good, but very complicated series.

If you like teen romance with a bit of fantasy, the Shiver series by Maggie Stiefvater has a nostalgic vibe to it that I really miss. An excellent read for those cold, cloudy days. Bonus points if it's snowing.

If you don't want romance, we have my favorite book series so far, The Alchemist Series by Michael Scott. Mythology, magic battles, fantasy, plot twists, it's everything you could ever want! The whole series is an adventure that I highly, highly recommend.
look how we all make it
with hope and golden stars
still in our eyes and hearts
[quote name="SomniaSheep" date="2021-12-30 18:47:02" ] For older folks who like horror, The Shining by Stephen King is a classic. Honorable mention to The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe, had a lot of fun discussing that one in high school! The Tell-Tale Heart is also interesting and sinister. [/quote] Hell yeah, Tell-Tale Heart is really good! Had to do a report on it for English and got hooked on Gothic stuff ever since, I highly recommend Poe's other works! Speaking of Gothic, I recently read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson and GOD that was a rollercoaster! I really recommend it if you like Victorian books!
SomniaSheep wrote on 2021-12-30 18:47:02:

Hell yeah, Tell-Tale Heart is really good! Had to do a report on it for English and got hooked on Gothic stuff ever since, I highly recommend Poe's other works!

Speaking of Gothic, I recently read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson and GOD that was a rollercoaster! I really recommend it if you like Victorian books!
0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.giflfh.png
A light novel series called Otherside Picnic! It’s a lighthearted paranormal horror(?) series that follows two lesbian main characters as they face and battle monsters/phenomena from Japanese urban legends. It’s not peak quality literature since it’s translated to English and all, but very fun.
A light novel series called Otherside Picnic! It’s a lighthearted paranormal horror(?) series that follows two lesbian main characters as they face and battle monsters/phenomena from Japanese urban legends. It’s not peak quality literature since it’s translated to English and all, but very fun.
942fhpK.pngWitchy Adoptables OPEN AND HIRING | Wishlist | Butterfae Raffle!
[quote name="SomniaSheep" date="2021-12-30 18:47:02" ] If you don't want romance, we have my favorite book series so far, The Alchemist Series by Michael Scott. Mythology, magic battles, fantasy, plot twists, it's everything you could ever want! The whole series is an adventure that I highly, highly recommend. [/quote] @SomniaSheep I remember reading those books a few years ago!! Loved the entire series, the plot twists were all amazing. Is there a fandom at all? I’d love to get back into it.
SomniaSheep wrote on 2021-12-30 18:47:02:
@SomniaSheep
I remember reading those books a few years ago!! Loved the entire series, the plot twists were all amazing. Is there a fandom at all? I’d love to get back into it.
zdkBiZa.png
Any of Brandon Sanderson's books! I would highly suggest Elantris or Mistborn as a first read though, and then the Stormlight Archive series.

If you are a fiction fan like I am, i promise he does not disappoint. All of his books are bangers.
Any of Brandon Sanderson's books! I would highly suggest Elantris or Mistborn as a first read though, and then the Stormlight Archive series.

If you are a fiction fan like I am, i promise he does not disappoint. All of his books are bangers.
lighttop.png
[quote name="VigilantEntity" date="2022-01-02 03:41:12" ] I remember reading those books a few years ago!! Loved the entire series, the plot twists were all amazing. Is there a fandom at all? I’d love to get back into it. [/quote] @VigilantEntity I'm definitely seeing some posts about it on tumblr! I don't know if there's an official fandom, it looks like it's mixed into fantasy books generally. It's also worth noting you have to spell it right, "Alchemyst," not "Alchemist," haha!
VigilantEntity wrote on 2022-01-02 03:41:12:
I remember reading those books a few years ago!! Loved the entire series, the plot twists were all amazing. Is there a fandom at all? I’d love to get back into it.

@VigilantEntity

I'm definitely seeing some posts about it on tumblr! I don't know if there's an official fandom, it looks like it's mixed into fantasy books generally. It's also worth noting you have to spell it right, "Alchemyst," not "Alchemist," haha!
look how we all make it
with hope and golden stars
still in our eyes and hearts
The Last Watch! The Last Watch! The Last Watch!

and its sequel as soon as I can
The Last Watch! The Last Watch! The Last Watch!

and its sequel as soon as I can
Really into "Every Man Dies Alone" by Hans Fallada, if you're into WWII, based on true story books :)

Here's the Goodreads link. The whole books is based on how living in Berlin was rather than focusing on the concentration camps (Which is literally all of the other books I've read during this era, so it's always nice to get a different perspective, especially one based on a true story), and focuses mainly on the way a certain German couple are resisting what Berlin and Germany has become under Hitler's rule. Definitely a gripping tale so far, though I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it quite yet.
Really into "Every Man Dies Alone" by Hans Fallada, if you're into WWII, based on true story books :)

Here's the Goodreads link. The whole books is based on how living in Berlin was rather than focusing on the concentration camps (Which is literally all of the other books I've read during this era, so it's always nice to get a different perspective, especially one based on a true story), and focuses mainly on the way a certain German couple are resisting what Berlin and Germany has become under Hitler's rule. Definitely a gripping tale so far, though I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it quite yet.
FObX7rS.png
J7D1quC.png
QUIpVFE.png
if i dont reply..^^^ thats why so feel free to ping
Currently reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Murakami and am thoroughly enjoying everything it's throwing at me, but I think Murakami is widely regarded as a genius through and through. If you haven't read his stuff you absolutely should.

Recently I've been doing a deep dive into Milian Kunedera's stuff, although it is deeply disturbing in a lot of places, and checking the TW's and doing your research is definitely essential. My favorite so far has been The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Really awesome historical fiction-y magical realism that deals with some HEAVY things, and the characters were so charming in the weirdest ways.

Elsewhere Perhaps by Amos Oz also SLAPS so hard. The political implications in there are uh.. iffy sometimes, but if you can get past that it is a beautifully written novel. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I read it, but it may be more geared towards Jewishly inclined people (such as myself,) so definitely keep that in mind.
Currently reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Murakami and am thoroughly enjoying everything it's throwing at me, but I think Murakami is widely regarded as a genius through and through. If you haven't read his stuff you absolutely should.

Recently I've been doing a deep dive into Milian Kunedera's stuff, although it is deeply disturbing in a lot of places, and checking the TW's and doing your research is definitely essential. My favorite so far has been The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Really awesome historical fiction-y magical realism that deals with some HEAVY things, and the characters were so charming in the weirdest ways.

Elsewhere Perhaps by Amos Oz also SLAPS so hard. The political implications in there are uh.. iffy sometimes, but if you can get past that it is a beautifully written novel. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I read it, but it may be more geared towards Jewishly inclined people (such as myself,) so definitely keep that in mind.

2rgc1ud.png

voltron_fanhubbg.png[/center]

0Vit0p7.png
PIaTt6Y.png
fmHZU3J.png
1FuP1GN.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7