Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | what are you reading? (book suggestions)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pet Sematary

Pretty cool not too spooky not too boring plus a cat named Winston Churchill couldn't ask for more.
Pet Sematary

Pretty cool not too spooky not too boring plus a cat named Winston Churchill couldn't ask for more.
rzrrjmF.gif
I've been rereading Discworld books a lot lately - they're my comfort go-to and strongest recommendation. They start off as classic fantasy spoofs but soon develop detailed worldbuilding of their own with fantastic characters all of whom I love and a lot of social justice messages. Don't be put off by how many there are, they can be read in pretty much any order.

In terms of recent reads, I just finished Elizabeth Knox's The Absolute Book, which is an overwhelming but really well done story about fae and demons and a whole lot of mythology.
I've been rereading Discworld books a lot lately - they're my comfort go-to and strongest recommendation. They start off as classic fantasy spoofs but soon develop detailed worldbuilding of their own with fantastic characters all of whom I love and a lot of social justice messages. Don't be put off by how many there are, they can be read in pretty much any order.

In terms of recent reads, I just finished Elizabeth Knox's The Absolute Book, which is an overwhelming but really well done story about fae and demons and a whole lot of mythology.
1cskOS9.png
[quote name="Jasjabberwocky" date="2021-07-12 16:57:15" ] I've been rereading Discworld books a lot lately - they're my comfort go-to and strongest recommendation. [/quote] Same here! I'm currently rereading [i]Guards! Guards![/i] I absolutely love how Pratchett described dragons in that one, especially the little swamp dragons. Looking forward to completing the whole series too. I really like how you can just jump in anytime -- no need to read all the other previous books; each story is self-contained and doesn't need to be propped up by the others that came before it.
Jasjabberwocky wrote on 2021-07-12 16:57:15:
I've been rereading Discworld books a lot lately - they're my comfort go-to and strongest recommendation.

Same here! I'm currently rereading Guards! Guards! I absolutely love how Pratchett described dragons in that one, especially the little swamp dragons.

Looking forward to completing the whole series too. I really like how you can just jump in anytime -- no need to read all the other previous books; each story is self-contained and doesn't need to be propped up by the others that came before it.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
I am currently reading Death in the Silent Places and just started reading Bungo Stray Dogs: Beast novel.

Death in the Silent Places is about past hunters and some of their stories of their hunts in Africa. I am not a big hunter, but this book and Capstick's first book (Death in the Long Grass) are interesting reads. While it does talk about people hunting animals, the books delve a lot into how people are also the hunted and how dangerous the animals can be. Getting gored by a rhino, mauled by a lion or leopard, and an elephant playing baseball with the person as the ball and its trunk as the bat. The author certainly knows how to write a good story and leave the reader wanting to learn more. The books can get a bit detailed with injuries though, so I want to give a warning for that.
I am currently reading Death in the Silent Places and just started reading Bungo Stray Dogs: Beast novel.

Death in the Silent Places is about past hunters and some of their stories of their hunts in Africa. I am not a big hunter, but this book and Capstick's first book (Death in the Long Grass) are interesting reads. While it does talk about people hunting animals, the books delve a lot into how people are also the hunted and how dangerous the animals can be. Getting gored by a rhino, mauled by a lion or leopard, and an elephant playing baseball with the person as the ball and its trunk as the bat. The author certainly knows how to write a good story and leave the reader wanting to learn more. The books can get a bit detailed with injuries though, so I want to give a warning for that.
dona_by_brambleclawandjaypaw-dbgci6v.png
I'm currently reading Raybearer by Jordan Ifeuko, reccomended from a youtube video. I'm only about halfway through it at the moment and while I found the pacing incredibly quick for my taste I love the prose and the worldbuilding that's being built up. Most fantasy stories have been dominated by the Tolkien-inspired vibe that's kinda been lingering over the genre for decades now but Raybearer has a totally different vibe (it's heavily inspired by West African mythos and culture, which is where my parents hail from, which helps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD-9G6OHW28
(This would be the video I got this recommendation from if you wanna hear Dominic Noble break it down.)

I also recently finished reading The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green (yes I know, The Fault in Our Stars author) but this is not a sappy teen romance — this is actually nonfiction memoir/series of essays in which John reviews different aspects of 'the Anthropocene' (which would be this era of the world where humans have dominated and wildly reshaped the Earth).

It's got so many insightful and thought provoking and some downright beautiful passages. I think my single favorite would be his essay on Googling Strangers, and the essays on the Lascaux Cave Paintings and Sunsets are close seconds. I absolutely adored this book. Also, a nice perk is that there are two animated videos of John narrating the chapter on Lascaux Cave Paintings and the introductory chapter.
I'm currently reading Raybearer by Jordan Ifeuko, reccomended from a youtube video. I'm only about halfway through it at the moment and while I found the pacing incredibly quick for my taste I love the prose and the worldbuilding that's being built up. Most fantasy stories have been dominated by the Tolkien-inspired vibe that's kinda been lingering over the genre for decades now but Raybearer has a totally different vibe (it's heavily inspired by West African mythos and culture, which is where my parents hail from, which helps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD-9G6OHW28
(This would be the video I got this recommendation from if you wanna hear Dominic Noble break it down.)

I also recently finished reading The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green (yes I know, The Fault in Our Stars author) but this is not a sappy teen romance — this is actually nonfiction memoir/series of essays in which John reviews different aspects of 'the Anthropocene' (which would be this era of the world where humans have dominated and wildly reshaped the Earth).

It's got so many insightful and thought provoking and some downright beautiful passages. I think my single favorite would be his essay on Googling Strangers, and the essays on the Lascaux Cave Paintings and Sunsets are close seconds. I absolutely adored this book. Also, a nice perk is that there are two animated videos of John narrating the chapter on Lascaux Cave Paintings and the introductory chapter.
gLbZUkF.pngZewzdsF.pngpxQdDU5.pngWH26Bag.pngwfmIqQm.png0jScwbh.pngHjUpYch.pngW2xqTjK.pngngXpEKo.pngngXpEKo.pngm78opSZ.pngT2nbrk6.pngaXbaYIT.pngi8eD0Ym.png
yym0GF5.png
I'm reading Long Hot Summoning by Tanya Huff, which is nice light beach reading. Urban fantasy, basically a hellmouth opening in a shopping mall. Lots of snark. I loved some of her earlier books, this one is okay but not one I'll remember. (But it does have a couple teen lesbians! Not sure yet if they have a happy ending, but knowing Huff I fell pretty safe about them.)

The other series I recently enjoyed was Lois McMaster Bujold's Penric and Des series, which is currently up to 10 books, several of which are novella sized. And ooh, there's one more of those I haven't read yet! Set in her World of Five Gods (which has an inspiring religious system) following the adventures of a young man who accidentally acquires an old chaos demon sharing his body.
I'm reading Long Hot Summoning by Tanya Huff, which is nice light beach reading. Urban fantasy, basically a hellmouth opening in a shopping mall. Lots of snark. I loved some of her earlier books, this one is okay but not one I'll remember. (But it does have a couple teen lesbians! Not sure yet if they have a happy ending, but knowing Huff I fell pretty safe about them.)

The other series I recently enjoyed was Lois McMaster Bujold's Penric and Des series, which is currently up to 10 books, several of which are novella sized. And ooh, there's one more of those I haven't read yet! Set in her World of Five Gods (which has an inspiring religious system) following the adventures of a young man who accidentally acquires an old chaos demon sharing his body.
I can and I will recommend Terry Pratchett to everyone has asks for book reccs, I love his stuff so much, it's so good ghsl;k
I can and I will recommend Terry Pratchett to everyone has asks for book reccs, I love his stuff so much, it's so good ghsl;k
nTa2yPT.png
I’m currently reading Keeper of the Lost Cities, by Shannon Messenger
and our classic Harry Potter.

Lost cities is the hottest teenager love circle ever lol
By like page 80 our protagonist starts to crush

Harry Potter? I mean it’s pretty famous I just decided to read it then watch the movies
I’m currently reading Keeper of the Lost Cities, by Shannon Messenger
and our classic Harry Potter.

Lost cities is the hottest teenager love circle ever lol
By like page 80 our protagonist starts to crush

Harry Potter? I mean it’s pretty famous I just decided to read it then watch the movies
L6GiWxp.png
i finished reading Mexican Gothic- Silvia Moreno-Garcia

i think i liked it?? id give it a 3.5/5, i think i didn't really like her writing style but i did like the contents of the book! another slightly horrifying story for the avid horror enjoyer :) its nothing gory, just something that may intrigue you and appall you
i finished reading Mexican Gothic- Silvia Moreno-Garcia

i think i liked it?? id give it a 3.5/5, i think i didn't really like her writing style but i did like the contents of the book! another slightly horrifying story for the avid horror enjoyer :) its nothing gory, just something that may intrigue you and appall you

blue | +2 FRT
casual love

raffle
pm me to be friends!
xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
16471.png
I highly recommend Fable of the Swan by doctor Jenna Moran.

Dr. Moran's writing is fantastic; she's the creator of my favorite tabletop systems (Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, and Glitch), and her work is... whimsical, wondrous, heartbreaking, and funny.

Fable of the Swan revolves around a girl who is not named in the text, but is named Jasmine in CMWGE; after certain events, once a human, she becomes a Deceiver, a type of Excrucian - an inhabitant of the Not, those that are non-existence, as opposed to those that are of Creation.

Her goal throughout the story is to turn herself into a giant metal octopus to kill Death.

It's fantastic, and you'll never expect where it goes.
I highly recommend Fable of the Swan by doctor Jenna Moran.

Dr. Moran's writing is fantastic; she's the creator of my favorite tabletop systems (Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, and Glitch), and her work is... whimsical, wondrous, heartbreaking, and funny.

Fable of the Swan revolves around a girl who is not named in the text, but is named Jasmine in CMWGE; after certain events, once a human, she becomes a Deceiver, a type of Excrucian - an inhabitant of the Not, those that are non-existence, as opposed to those that are of Creation.

Her goal throughout the story is to turn herself into a giant metal octopus to kill Death.

It's fantastic, and you'll never expect where it goes.
a5182e8c1dd986ebec2d3abf1235ddf1cfa8f6d6.gif
xx

In my bones and blood you can hear the waves:
xxthey do not cease their pounding on the shore.
xxThe salt in me is the salt of seas:
flinch not before the horrors of the world!

xx

he/him, nêhiyaw, FR+3
xxxxcarrd
xxxxclan intro
1 2 3 4 5 6 7