Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [HUB] Xenofiction
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16
omgomg so many new recs, i love this thread so much! i had stopped reading xenofic bc so much of it is written for children and y/a audiences and it felt like i was supposed to "grow out of it", or smth, especially since none of my friends are, or have ever, been into that genre. also got teased so much for being into warriors back in the day. [emoji=mirror sad size=1] i have so many books to catch up on, now!
omgomg so many new recs, i love this thread so much! i had stopped reading xenofic bc so much of it is written for children and y/a audiences and it felt like i was supposed to "grow out of it", or smth, especially since none of my friends are, or have ever, been into that genre. also got teased so much for being into warriors back in the day. i have so many books to catch up on, now!
Oh, Xenofiction, so that's the official term. I always just called it "Animal Fantasy" lol.

Anyways, I love Xenofiction! My gateway to this whole thing was "Warrior Cats" (or "Warriors" as it's apparently called in the english version). I agree that the authors ignore Cat behaviour a little too much but I still loved it, especially 10 year old me back then. Unfortunately, the story quality dropped after the first season so I stopped reading at the end of season 3. "Seekers", by the same authors, had a very similar problem. I stopped after the third book there.
Unfortunately, Xenofiction (especially the Animal ones) that's adressed twowards a more mature audience seems rather rare.

My favorite piece of Xenofiction is "Golden Treasure: The Great Green" They really nailed the non-human perspective there and the writing in general is really good!

Oh, Xenofiction, so that's the official term. I always just called it "Animal Fantasy" lol.

Anyways, I love Xenofiction! My gateway to this whole thing was "Warrior Cats" (or "Warriors" as it's apparently called in the english version). I agree that the authors ignore Cat behaviour a little too much but I still loved it, especially 10 year old me back then. Unfortunately, the story quality dropped after the first season so I stopped reading at the end of season 3. "Seekers", by the same authors, had a very similar problem. I stopped after the third book there.
Unfortunately, Xenofiction (especially the Animal ones) that's adressed twowards a more mature audience seems rather rare.

My favorite piece of Xenofiction is "Golden Treasure: The Great Green" They really nailed the non-human perspective there and the writing in general is really good!

OSPKX5l.png
[quote name="sunnySerina" date="2020-11-28 20:42:18" ] [quote name="naranciag" date="2020-11-28 17:43:08" ] i adore xenofiction and i am actually working on an original xenofiction series! it's called novanati and is about a planet where extinct animals go after they go extinct. [/quote] I would read this. There's a kid on AO3 writing an extremely ambitious xenofiction-fantasy epic about birds and it's... confusing and the writing quality is what you would expect from a young teen, but bless their heart (and I mean that unironically), I wish I had the drive and confidence to do that when I was younger (and even now). So I support their story anyway. [/quote] i must see this! can you link me? also thanks for the support <3
sunnySerina wrote on 2020-11-28 20:42:18:
naranciag wrote on 2020-11-28 17:43:08:
i adore xenofiction and i am actually working on an original xenofiction series! it's called novanati and is about a planet where extinct animals go after they go extinct.
I would read this.

There's a kid on AO3 writing an extremely ambitious xenofiction-fantasy epic about birds and it's... confusing and the writing quality is what you would expect from a young teen, but bless their heart (and I mean that unironically), I wish I had the drive and confidence to do that when I was younger (and even now). So I support their story anyway.

i must see this! can you link me?

also thanks for the support <3
my hatchery
dragon package rescue
writing shop
geneticats adopts:
breedable genetics-based rng adopts

||
||
||
||
||
||

my bio code thread
wishlist
warrior cat oc art

||
||
||
||
||
||

mogai/lgbt pixel resources
warrior cat clan game
my lore thread

@naranciag Let me find it... Here. They've just posted the prologue, the first actual story content, it seems.
@naranciag Let me find it... Here. They've just posted the prologue, the first actual story content, it seems.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
Everything new added.

@Direwitch @Inuka

I'm kinda on the same boat as you, about more adult xenofiction. But really, I stopped caring that much about it a while ago. Decent family-friendly xenofiction is still still decent xenofiction.
And what's wrong with YA-labled stuff? Seems nowadays that label gets slapped on everything scifi/fantasy. At least the stuff that is not on the level of A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't pay it any mind.

I feel though you two would very much enjoy Raptor Red. It's similar in the style of nature documentaries that add speculation on the animals' thoughts.

@SunnySerina

I'll check that out too. Usually, such an amount of tags is an immediate turnoff for me on AO3, but I'm insterest in checking out a new author's work in a genre I like. It may not be the highest quality, but honestly? Who didn't start out like that? Nobaoy is born a great writer. It's a skill that needs to be honed like any other.
Everything new added.

@Direwitch @Inuka

I'm kinda on the same boat as you, about more adult xenofiction. But really, I stopped caring that much about it a while ago. Decent family-friendly xenofiction is still still decent xenofiction.
And what's wrong with YA-labled stuff? Seems nowadays that label gets slapped on everything scifi/fantasy. At least the stuff that is not on the level of A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't pay it any mind.

I feel though you two would very much enjoy Raptor Red. It's similar in the style of nature documentaries that add speculation on the animals' thoughts.

@SunnySerina

I'll check that out too. Usually, such an amount of tags is an immediate turnoff for me on AO3, but I'm insterest in checking out a new author's work in a genre I like. It may not be the highest quality, but honestly? Who didn't start out like that? Nobaoy is born a great writer. It's a skill that needs to be honed like any other.
How should I tell them politely that they need to use more paragraph breaks...?
How should I tell them politely that they need to use more paragraph breaks...?
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
@SunnySerina

Maybe something like: "Hey, I'm interested in your work, though I think it would be easier to read if you format it like this *insert helpful link on how too format*. Keep up your work. It has potential. I look forward to the next chapters."

I'm not that good at this either. Sadly genuine constructive critism gets sen as insulting. But in the end, it's their loss if they choose not to listen to it.
Note: if I ever do something and it's trash, please tell me it's trash. Thanks in advance.
@SunnySerina

Maybe something like: "Hey, I'm interested in your work, though I think it would be easier to read if you format it like this *insert helpful link on how too format*. Keep up your work. It has potential. I look forward to the next chapters."

I'm not that good at this either. Sadly genuine constructive critism gets sen as insulting. But in the end, it's their loss if they choose not to listen to it.
Note: if I ever do something and it's trash, please tell me it's trash. Thanks in advance.
@Xionahri

oh for sure, i'm breaking that mindset more recently. i kind of want to go back and read warriors (at least the first series, idk about all the rest, lol), but i think before i do that, i'll have to check out raptor red and finish the darkwing series. raptor red is so highly recommended by so many people i'm actually surprised i never heard of it before this thread. :0
@Xionahri

oh for sure, i'm breaking that mindset more recently. i kind of want to go back and read warriors (at least the first series, idk about all the rest, lol), but i think before i do that, i'll have to check out raptor red and finish the darkwing series. raptor red is so highly recommended by so many people i'm actually surprised i never heard of it before this thread. :0
@Xionahri
Sure, there's nothing wrong with YA stuff. It's just that sometimes I want something with a more mature aproach that doesn't beat around certain things to make it friendly for younger people. Also, as 22 year old adult, you get strange looks when you look trough the 12+ year old section which is not really helpful for my already low self esteem.

I'll definitely take a look at Raptor Red, it sounds interesting and I like dinosaurs
@Xionahri
Sure, there's nothing wrong with YA stuff. It's just that sometimes I want something with a more mature aproach that doesn't beat around certain things to make it friendly for younger people. Also, as 22 year old adult, you get strange looks when you look trough the 12+ year old section which is not really helpful for my already low self esteem.

I'll definitely take a look at Raptor Red, it sounds interesting and I like dinosaurs
OSPKX5l.png
@Inuka

I rarely look in the sections 5that are explicitely YA. The fantasy and scifi are primarily my go-to. They (moreso the fantasy section) are a complete and utter mess though here. You got everything, from kid-friendly stuff to adult stuff, from trashy twilight-esque romances to, well, the stuff stuff I'm actually lookign for. Which is a shame, because this section tends to be kinda small as it is.
A more specific example: a local bookstore has a small table for assorted fantasy books; one shelf for sci-fi; a shelf also for general fantasy; one shelf for romance fantasy; and one shelf, I kid you not, entirely covered with the A Song of Ice and Fire series (as well as books related to it and some other works of Martin, but still).

Nowadays, I've more taken to buying used books online, or buying ebooks. Saves a lot of hassle, and, in the latter case, you usually got immediatly what you're looking for.
@Inuka

I rarely look in the sections 5that are explicitely YA. The fantasy and scifi are primarily my go-to. They (moreso the fantasy section) are a complete and utter mess though here. You got everything, from kid-friendly stuff to adult stuff, from trashy twilight-esque romances to, well, the stuff stuff I'm actually lookign for. Which is a shame, because this section tends to be kinda small as it is.
A more specific example: a local bookstore has a small table for assorted fantasy books; one shelf for sci-fi; a shelf also for general fantasy; one shelf for romance fantasy; and one shelf, I kid you not, entirely covered with the A Song of Ice and Fire series (as well as books related to it and some other works of Martin, but still).

Nowadays, I've more taken to buying used books online, or buying ebooks. Saves a lot of hassle, and, in the latter case, you usually got immediatly what you're looking for.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16