Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [HUB] Xenofiction
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
@hexmancer @Cynicism

Added!

@Chronosplit

It may be a light example so far, but it's certainly an example. And it surely has potential. Added it and am curious on where it's going. Nice work so far.

@SunnySerina

Good dragons. Added everything to my list. The Book of the Named was actually among the next things I wanted to check out.
The Bees also sounds really intruiging to me. I love invertebrates.

@RagingBluMunky

Yep, Mystery Dungeon is on the list. And I totally forgot about White Fang, which I have indeed read. Good book. Great author too. I'll check out CAll of the Wild eventually, but not likely soon-ish.
@hexmancer @Cynicism

Added!

@Chronosplit

It may be a light example so far, but it's certainly an example. And it surely has potential. Added it and am curious on where it's going. Nice work so far.

@SunnySerina

Good dragons. Added everything to my list. The Book of the Named was actually among the next things I wanted to check out.
The Bees also sounds really intruiging to me. I love invertebrates.

@RagingBluMunky

Yep, Mystery Dungeon is on the list. And I totally forgot about White Fang, which I have indeed read. Good book. Great author too. I'll check out CAll of the Wild eventually, but not likely soon-ish.
I didn't know there was a word for this!

I can toss the Age of Fire series by E.E Knight onto the pile - those books follow a trio of dragon siblings, and I've always been really frustrated that it was so hard to find more adult fantasy books like that from the dragons' points of view.

ETA: Oh yeah, and The Black Gryphon by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon (followed by The White Gryphon, and The Silver Gryphon) do have a lot of focus on the gryphons' POV. It's been years since I read them so it may switch back and forth between the human and gryphon characters, not sure how much it counts.
I didn't know there was a word for this!

I can toss the Age of Fire series by E.E Knight onto the pile - those books follow a trio of dragon siblings, and I've always been really frustrated that it was so hard to find more adult fantasy books like that from the dragons' points of view.

ETA: Oh yeah, and The Black Gryphon by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon (followed by The White Gryphon, and The Silver Gryphon) do have a lot of focus on the gryphons' POV. It's been years since I read them so it may switch back and forth between the human and gryphon characters, not sure how much it counts.
xxxxxxxx saccharine | she/they | fr+3
plague wildclaw enthusiast.

›› triskele nest rentals
›› avatar dragon
qTaplDI.png
[quote name="Saccharine" date="2020-11-25 11:47:31" ] I can toss the Age of Fire series by E.E Knight onto the pile - those books follow a trio of dragon siblings, and I've always been really frustrated that it was so hard to find more adult fantasy books like that from the dragons' points of view. [/quote] Can't believe I forgot about them!
Saccharine wrote on 2020-11-25 11:47:31:
Can't believe I forgot about them!
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
Aw neat! There's a thread for this!

Recently I found a children's novel called A Whale of the Wild, taking the POV of an orca. It is pretty neat, with a ton of illustrations on the inside. My only critique is that certain manmade objects, like boats, are referred to with their human names. I wish that was more like Warrior Cats instead. Otherwise, I really like it, considering there aren't many Xenofiction stories taking place underwater.

I know other Xenofiction stories, but my mind is drawing a blank.
Aw neat! There's a thread for this!

Recently I found a children's novel called A Whale of the Wild, taking the POV of an orca. It is pretty neat, with a ton of illustrations on the inside. My only critique is that certain manmade objects, like boats, are referred to with their human names. I wish that was more like Warrior Cats instead. Otherwise, I really like it, considering there aren't many Xenofiction stories taking place underwater.

I know other Xenofiction stories, but my mind is drawing a blank.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
[quote name="sunnySerina" date="2020-11-25 12:07:37" ] [quote name="Saccharine" date="2020-11-25 11:47:31" ] I can toss the Age of Fire series by E.E Knight onto the pile - those books follow a trio of dragon siblings, and I've always been really frustrated that it was so hard to find more adult fantasy books like that from the dragons' points of view. [/quote] Can't believe I forgot about them! [/quote] [font=American Gothic][size=4]Really? I've been looking for more legendary creature Xenofiction! Especially dragon Xenoficion. I've been doing a worldbuilding project for years, taking the POV of dragons. Can't wait to see if they are alien as mine. Also a reminder to myself to read Raptor Red.
sunnySerina wrote on 2020-11-25 12:07:37:
Saccharine wrote on 2020-11-25 11:47:31:
Can't believe I forgot about them!
Really? I've been looking for more legendary creature Xenofiction! Especially dragon Xenoficion. I've been doing a worldbuilding project for years, taking the POV of dragons. Can't wait to see if they are alien as mine.

Also a reminder to myself to read Raptor Red.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
@Xionahri Thank you, I'll keep that in mind! And don't worry, I'll be working on this post-November. Honestly the worldbuilding was a pet project for a couple of years, so the month's goal was to get it off the ground.
@Xionahri Thank you, I'll keep that in mind! And don't worry, I'll be working on this post-November. Honestly the worldbuilding was a pet project for a couple of years, so the month's goal was to get it off the ground.
My writing project.
Everything updated up to this point.
Everything updated up to this point.
Ah, I've found my people. When it comes to novels, I read almost exclusively xenofiction.

A few of my many recommendations include:
Black Beauty (horses) by Anna Sewell
The Plague Dogs (dogs), Tales from Watership Down (rabbits), and Traveller (horses) by Richard Adams
Bambi: A Life in the Wood and Bambi's Children (deer) by Felix Salten
Firebringer (deer), The Sight, and Fell (wolves) by David Clement-Davies
Smoky the Cowhorse (horses) by Will James
The Duncton Chronicles (moles) and Callanish (eagles) by William Horwood
Jonathan Livingston Seagull (gulls) by Richard Bach
Felidae (cats) by Akif Pirinçci
Beautiful Joe (dogs) by Marshall Saunders
The Last Unicorn (unicorns) by Peter S. Beagle
Pride of Baghdad (lions) by Brian K. Vaughan and Niko Henrichon (graphic novel)

The Redwall (various species) series by Brian Jacques is an honorable mention, but might fall into flat-out fantasy territory since it features extremely anthropomorphic animals.
Ah, I've found my people. When it comes to novels, I read almost exclusively xenofiction.

A few of my many recommendations include:
Black Beauty (horses) by Anna Sewell
The Plague Dogs (dogs), Tales from Watership Down (rabbits), and Traveller (horses) by Richard Adams
Bambi: A Life in the Wood and Bambi's Children (deer) by Felix Salten
Firebringer (deer), The Sight, and Fell (wolves) by David Clement-Davies
Smoky the Cowhorse (horses) by Will James
Jonathan Livingston Seagull (gulls) by Richard Bach
Felidae (cats) by Akif Pirinçci
Beautiful Joe (dogs) by Marshall Saunders
The Last Unicorn (unicorns) by Peter S. Beagle
Pride of Baghdad (lions) by Brian K. Vaughan and Niko Henrichon (graphic novel)

The Redwall (various species) series by Brian Jacques is an honorable mention, but might fall into flat-out fantasy territory since it features extremely anthropomorphic animals.
23826.png7103.png23828.png
[quote name="Astrocomet" date="2020-11-25 19:04:47" ] The Duncton Chronicles (moles) and Callanish (eagles) by William Horwood [/quote] Have you been able to find [i]Callanish[/i] anywhere? I'd love to read a book from an eagle's perspective, but I can't find it online or even a plot summary.
Astrocomet wrote on 2020-11-25 19:04:47:
Have you been able to find Callanish anywhere? I'd love to read a book from an eagle's perspective, but I can't find it online or even a plot summary.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
@sunnySerina
I got my copy from a used book store on Amazon. Its one of those books that can be difficult to find and usually only turn up in thrift shops. There's nothing wrong with buying books from such places; heck, I found my hardcover copy of Raptor Red at a flea market and in great condition to boot. I believe it is out of print as well, which only adds to the dilemma.

The plot is about a young golden eagle in the London Zoo, his friendship with an elderly captive eagle, and his desire to escape to freedom.
@sunnySerina
I got my copy from a used book store on Amazon. Its one of those books that can be difficult to find and usually only turn up in thrift shops. There's nothing wrong with buying books from such places; heck, I found my hardcover copy of Raptor Red at a flea market and in great condition to boot. I believe it is out of print as well, which only adds to the dilemma.

The plot is about a young golden eagle in the London Zoo, his friendship with an elderly captive eagle, and his desire to escape to freedom.
23826.png7103.png23828.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16