Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Hated Phrases or Figures of Speech
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
I don't like it when people refer to things as 'common sense' and proceed to make fun of those who do not understand such things. i am autistic and most things that people view as 'common sense' are quite alien to me, and i do not enjoy feeling like an idiot because my brain is wired differently to theirs.

also on a lighter note: 'i could care less'. it's just. so wrong.
I don't like it when people refer to things as 'common sense' and proceed to make fun of those who do not understand such things. i am autistic and most things that people view as 'common sense' are quite alien to me, and i do not enjoy feeling like an idiot because my brain is wired differently to theirs.

also on a lighter note: 'i could care less'. it's just. so wrong.
T | It | ASD
Maker of fine graves
"Just breathe."

It drives me up the wall and I'm immediately angry when someone tells me that. It's almost exclusively used by people who also believe some really messed up things like essential oils, energy healing, "positivity" (actually just silencing people who are speaking up about bad things), etc.

It's meaningless and stupid.
"Just breathe."

It drives me up the wall and I'm immediately angry when someone tells me that. It's almost exclusively used by people who also believe some really messed up things like essential oils, energy healing, "positivity" (actually just silencing people who are speaking up about bad things), etc.

It's meaningless and stupid.
[quote name="pikitat" date="2020-10-01 11:15:17" ] I have never understood the phrase 'you can't have your cake and eat it too'. Like, sure, I get the intended meaning, but it makes no sense! If you have your cake, you can ABSOLUTELY eat it! Isn't that the whole point of having a cake? Why wouldn't you be able to eat the cake if you've got it?! It baffles me >:T [/quote] If you eat your cake, it's gone, since you ate it. Therefore you no longer have it. You might've known this already since you said you get the intended meaning, but just pointing it out just in case.
pikitat wrote on 2020-10-01 11:15:17:
I have never understood the phrase 'you can't have your cake and eat it too'. Like, sure, I get the intended meaning, but it makes no sense! If you have your cake, you can ABSOLUTELY eat it! Isn't that the whole point of having a cake? Why wouldn't you be able to eat the cake if you've got it?! It baffles me >:T
If you eat your cake, it's gone, since you ate it. Therefore you no longer have it.

You might've known this already since you said you get the intended meaning, but just pointing it out just in case.
xxxxxxxxxx 0Srkgnv.gif NkoiOuv.gif Gwrjw2w.gif JQCpKiY.gif
"Calm down."

Whenever someone tells me to I just get more anxious.
"Calm down."

Whenever someone tells me to I just get more anxious.
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
"you've got your work cut out for you" bugs me bc i sew a lot and like if my work was cut out for me it'd make things SO much easier lol i hate cutting out the fabric bits and i dont get how it can mean that the task in question is gonna be hard, i dont understand it one bit
"you've got your work cut out for you" bugs me bc i sew a lot and like if my work was cut out for me it'd make things SO much easier lol i hate cutting out the fabric bits and i dont get how it can mean that the task in question is gonna be hard, i dont understand it one bit
tumblr_inline_ojq6kw7euk1r2ao8y_540.pngdratini.gifLL2jqUF.pngleafeon.giftumblr_inline_ojq6kqtzXZ1r2ao8y_540.png
ALSO bc @murmalar mentioned it like a month ago stuff like "dont try just do it" makes me SO mad and ive taken to just responding "k then i'll just not even try" like..... you NEED to TRY in order to DO something??? i hate it.... and that star wars crap like "do or do not, there is no try" like thanks yoda but thats not how the progression of time and actions work you cant just skip a step in the process of doing something, you cant just pull a fully-completed task out your ***
ALSO bc @murmalar mentioned it like a month ago stuff like "dont try just do it" makes me SO mad and ive taken to just responding "k then i'll just not even try" like..... you NEED to TRY in order to DO something??? i hate it.... and that star wars crap like "do or do not, there is no try" like thanks yoda but thats not how the progression of time and actions work you cant just skip a step in the process of doing something, you cant just pull a fully-completed task out your ***
tumblr_inline_ojq6kw7euk1r2ao8y_540.pngdratini.gifLL2jqUF.pngleafeon.giftumblr_inline_ojq6kqtzXZ1r2ao8y_540.png
Oh, another one I didn't say before! I hear it in the south especially. "No use crying over spilt milk" is so incredibly stupid. I know it's usually supposed to mean "don't be upset over little things you can't do anything about now" but I hate it. People can be mad or sad about things without your weird condescending sayings, Barbra. It's even worse when it's said about something that isn't just a little thing. TWICE I've had someone say "no use crying over spilt milk" to me when my family members passed away and I felt like there was something more I could have done. That is not spilt milk! Do not compare someone dying with spilling a beverage!
Oh, another one I didn't say before! I hear it in the south especially. "No use crying over spilt milk" is so incredibly stupid. I know it's usually supposed to mean "don't be upset over little things you can't do anything about now" but I hate it. People can be mad or sad about things without your weird condescending sayings, Barbra. It's even worse when it's said about something that isn't just a little thing. TWICE I've had someone say "no use crying over spilt milk" to me when my family members passed away and I felt like there was something more I could have done. That is not spilt milk! Do not compare someone dying with spilling a beverage!
-Lemon, the keeper of all citrus kind

always overwhelmingly overwhelmed

Very open to chatting with anyone about anything ever.

If you want me to see your reply, please ping me!
I hate "keeping on keeping on" and "come with". I hadn't heard those things until I met someone who I thought was a friend, but them and their other friends basically emotionally abused me.

"Come with me" or "come with us" is fine, but not just "come with".
I hate "keeping on keeping on" and "come with". I hadn't heard those things until I met someone who I thought was a friend, but them and their other friends basically emotionally abused me.

"Come with me" or "come with us" is fine, but not just "come with".
oqllpxA.gifX4235Xn.gif
"If youre not *blank* you cant *blank*"

Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
[quote name="PearlConnor" date="2020-10-06 20:27:21" ] "If youre not *blank* you cant *blank*" [/quote] I gotta admit the context really depends here. My brain likes to go assume the worst but I hope it’s not what I’m thinking because some people really shouldn’t do stuff that’s out of their league if possible out of respect. I’m being vague but.. ]:> Now as for a phrase I don’t like, idk if this counts as a phrase but when people go “hecking” or use the “smol / innocent bean” speech. You’re valid it’s just a petty tick of mine but, it just may fry a braincell or two on my end.
PearlConnor wrote on 2020-10-06 20:27:21:

I gotta admit the context really depends here. My brain likes to go assume the worst but I hope it’s not what I’m thinking because some people really shouldn’t do stuff that’s out of their league if possible out of respect. I’m being vague but.. ]:>

Now as for a phrase I don’t like, idk if this counts as a phrase but when people go “hecking” or use the “smol / innocent bean” speech. You’re valid it’s just a petty tick of mine but, it just may fry a braincell or two on my end.
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16