Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Hated Phrases or Figures of Speech
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16
i hate it when people say "it could be worse". yeah, it COULD be, but that doesn't mean what i'm going through isn't bad or uncomfortable.
i hate it when people say "it could be worse". yeah, it COULD be, but that doesn't mean what i'm going through isn't bad or uncomfortable.
wqnTQE2.png
addams » she / her » avatar dragon
“i think i might have fallen in love...”
”...what am i to do?”

"Fall down seven times, get up eight".

How can you get up an eighth time if you've only fallen down seven times?
"Fall down seven times, get up eight".

How can you get up an eighth time if you've only fallen down seven times?
Nothing much to say here.

slCEFYq.png
sZShZzW.png
"Act your age, not your shoe size."

Okay, FINE, I'm 20+my shoe size. But you know what? Acting my shoe size is a lot more fun. XP

"You're __-years old. You should be able to do that on your own now."

Why this one ticks me off? I have a HARD phobia of phones. I will eat lava to escape talking on one. I get PANIC ATTACKS if I don't know who I'm talking to and I run out of things to say. It's just not good. So having someone do it for me is just easier. And other such things. I don't like using mental illnesses as an excuse for not doing things, but sometimes it's just...easier to. Way more less headaches for everyone.
"Act your age, not your shoe size."

Okay, FINE, I'm 20+my shoe size. But you know what? Acting my shoe size is a lot more fun. XP

"You're __-years old. You should be able to do that on your own now."

Why this one ticks me off? I have a HARD phobia of phones. I will eat lava to escape talking on one. I get PANIC ATTACKS if I don't know who I'm talking to and I run out of things to say. It's just not good. So having someone do it for me is just easier. And other such things. I don't like using mental illnesses as an excuse for not doing things, but sometimes it's just...easier to. Way more less headaches for everyone.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
i hate, i mean completely loathe the phrase "same-sex attraction".
it's the phrase the religious group i was raised in likes to use to refer to LGBT+ people, and when they use it it's almost always prefaced by "those struggling from-" but i still hate it even when other people use it in a non-derogatory way due to the mental connection my head makes when i hear it. where my ex-mormon pals at lol

also this is less serious and not exactly a phrase but one of my dumber pet peeves is when someone knocks on a door/wall/etc and goes "knock knock knock-knock knock" like they're playing the drums or something -_-
i hate, i mean completely loathe the phrase "same-sex attraction".
it's the phrase the religious group i was raised in likes to use to refer to LGBT+ people, and when they use it it's almost always prefaced by "those struggling from-" but i still hate it even when other people use it in a non-derogatory way due to the mental connection my head makes when i hear it. where my ex-mormon pals at lol

also this is less serious and not exactly a phrase but one of my dumber pet peeves is when someone knocks on a door/wall/etc and goes "knock knock knock-knock knock" like they're playing the drums or something -_-
~~~~~~~
my naym is eef
and wen its day
and wen the ywen
is gonne awaye
and all the cats
hav gonn desyrt
i lye on ground
i eet the dirt
~ a vertical line that looks like the side of a speech bubblea pixel of a stone/beige/brown tundra wearing dark cloth and various jewelry
[quote name="osito" date="2020-08-25 19:50:35" ] "nip it in the bud" really bothers me for some reason [/quote] This phrase doesn't bother me so much, but when people say "nip it in the [I]butt[/i]" instead, like nooo, at least get the phrase right? Similarly, "irregardless." Just say "regardless." I can almost guarantee it means the same thing you were trying to say. "Irregardless" isn't a word. Hmm also... as someone who is introverted/reserved but not at all shy, I've always hated "come out of their shell" to talk about a quiet person opening up and talking more. Like for crying out loud I'm not a turtle?? I was fine just the way I was before, I just got to know you better and started feeling I had more to contribute to conversations. Using that phrase just makes me feel bad about it for reasons I can't explain, ughh.
osito wrote on 2020-08-25 19:50:35:
"nip it in the bud" really bothers me for some reason

This phrase doesn't bother me so much, but when people say "nip it in the butt" instead, like nooo, at least get the phrase right?

Similarly, "irregardless." Just say "regardless." I can almost guarantee it means the same thing you were trying to say. "Irregardless" isn't a word.

Hmm also... as someone who is introverted/reserved but not at all shy, I've always hated "come out of their shell" to talk about a quiet person opening up and talking more. Like for crying out loud I'm not a turtle?? I was fine just the way I was before, I just got to know you better and started feeling I had more to contribute to conversations. Using that phrase just makes me feel bad about it for reasons I can't explain, ughh.
Never be afraid to ping me!
"You don't get to complain"
"You're just lazy"
"They can do the same to you but you can't to them"
"Because I said so"

I want to tear out my hair and jump into a volcano every time I hear these.
"You don't get to complain"
"You're just lazy"
"They can do the same to you but you can't to them"
"Because I said so"

I want to tear out my hair and jump into a volcano every time I hear these.
0nY9TgK.png
6kR982D.png
vjHxXR9.png
WKtl2lb.png
fkWjutW.png
Often used by newscasters:
"Meantime, blahblahblah..."

It's either "in the meantime," or "meanwhile, ..." for the love of GOD
Often used by newscasters:
"Meantime, blahblahblah..."

It's either "in the meantime," or "meanwhile, ..." for the love of GOD
7ophKeo.png
hh5n4WA.png
G8AyR6r.png
EB9jVcQ.png
oaolHwW.png
gYW0j5f.png
6uThYLh.png
6KQB58c.png
Neither of these things are phrases, but in conversation, they still annoy the heck out of me.

1) When someone just groans or grunts when you try to talk to them. Like, I want to know why you’re upset, I’m trying to show you I care about how you feel, but noooo, you want to sit there with a blanket over your head and be miserable. Talking about your feelings instead of dissing the person that tries to help you might make you feel better!

2) When you’re having an argument and someone just up and says something that you can’t respond to and they get the last word, then just walk away like they’re too good to spend any amount of time with you anyway. It drives me crazy. If you don’t like me, don’t spend time with me in the first place! Especially when it’s a dig at something that’s personal to me, it makes me want to smash something. Argh.
Neither of these things are phrases, but in conversation, they still annoy the heck out of me.

1) When someone just groans or grunts when you try to talk to them. Like, I want to know why you’re upset, I’m trying to show you I care about how you feel, but noooo, you want to sit there with a blanket over your head and be miserable. Talking about your feelings instead of dissing the person that tries to help you might make you feel better!

2) When you’re having an argument and someone just up and says something that you can’t respond to and they get the last word, then just walk away like they’re too good to spend any amount of time with you anyway. It drives me crazy. If you don’t like me, don’t spend time with me in the first place! Especially when it’s a dig at something that’s personal to me, it makes me want to smash something. Argh.
eq6zQ9M.png
mlHpBMC.png
xYQkuHQ.png
"Everything happens for a reason"

People quickly find out not to say this to me.
"Everything happens for a reason"

People quickly find out not to say this to me.
Lore shop closed for good :(
I'm starting to hate the phrase 'social distancing'

We aren't SOCIAL distancing, we are PHYSICALLY distancing.

If we were SOCIAL distancing, we wouldn't be talking to people. But that's pretty much all we're doing right now. On the phone, through computers, video calls, etc.

PHYSICAL distancing is staying six feet away from people, and wearing protestants while around others.

Please get it right people, or I'm going to go mad. ;-;
I'm starting to hate the phrase 'social distancing'

We aren't SOCIAL distancing, we are PHYSICALLY distancing.

If we were SOCIAL distancing, we wouldn't be talking to people. But that's pretty much all we're doing right now. On the phone, through computers, video calls, etc.

PHYSICAL distancing is staying six feet away from people, and wearing protestants while around others.

Please get it right people, or I'm going to go mad. ;-;
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16