Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Hated Phrases or Figures of Speech
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
"See, it wasn't that bad/a big deal."

I hate it so much. Especially since it's often said in a condescending tone.

Like, nice acting like my worry or whatever ahead of time was unimportant or unneeded. A lot of the time I know I don't need to freak out about it but I. Can't. Help. It. Sometimes. And I really don't need to have people being crappy at me towards it when I feel bad enough already for freaking out.

Please care. Or at least, please keep your mouth shut about it.

Like, phones make me panic. Like, I'm often shaking after I finish the call. Please do not make me talk on the phone, and if I absolutely have to, please don't act like I'm a whiny baby over it when it gets me all anxious. That doesn't help at all.

Just because it wasn't worthy of the worry or emotion (and not even just freaking out, I'll be anxious or worried without being wild about it and still get that crap) beforehand doesn't mean you should be rude about it.

Also ditto on the "could care less" thing. A couple songs I know have that phrase instead of the right one and it bugs me. I try and fix it when I'm singing one of those two songs though.
"See, it wasn't that bad/a big deal."

I hate it so much. Especially since it's often said in a condescending tone.

Like, nice acting like my worry or whatever ahead of time was unimportant or unneeded. A lot of the time I know I don't need to freak out about it but I. Can't. Help. It. Sometimes. And I really don't need to have people being crappy at me towards it when I feel bad enough already for freaking out.

Please care. Or at least, please keep your mouth shut about it.

Like, phones make me panic. Like, I'm often shaking after I finish the call. Please do not make me talk on the phone, and if I absolutely have to, please don't act like I'm a whiny baby over it when it gets me all anxious. That doesn't help at all.

Just because it wasn't worthy of the worry or emotion (and not even just freaking out, I'll be anxious or worried without being wild about it and still get that crap) beforehand doesn't mean you should be rude about it.

Also ditto on the "could care less" thing. A couple songs I know have that phrase instead of the right one and it bugs me. I try and fix it when I'm singing one of those two songs though.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
has anyone said "everything happens for a reason" yet? Because it is just so irritating.
"Oh, your grandma died? You got robbed? Don't worry sweety, everything happens for a reason ((:"
has anyone said "everything happens for a reason" yet? Because it is just so irritating.
"Oh, your grandma died? You got robbed? Don't worry sweety, everything happens for a reason ((:"
Moon
She/her
Selling dragons here and here
"You'll understand when..."
Usually it's "when you have kids" or things like that.

Or "you think THAT'S bad?" I don't play pity olympics.
"You'll understand when..."
Usually it's "when you have kids" or things like that.

Or "you think THAT'S bad?" I don't play pity olympics.
lik2pA1X.jpg
So I read through the thread and I both feel stuff and feel bad for stuff?

I'm slow with adjusting to using words and phrases I didn't know (mostly "cool words", "normal" words aren't that bad) that are very common, but once I talk to people a lot I'll start using some of the words too. Like hm, I normally say dog but in the right environment I'll say doggo a couple of times. Abbreviations too.

I've never seen "could care less"? Only ever "couldn't". Do I live under a rock? The only time I've seen it was when I wrote it in the context of "I could care less but I don't really care enough to [whatever]."

Your/you're, they're/their throws me off. I've never had a problem with grammar in my native language and I guess my English grammar is good enough for many situations (at least at school I never had a problem with it, it all depends on who I compare myself with) so I'm really not in a position to judge it, I know English good enough to be able to tell if they taught me wrong or if others make mistakes and I make. It still surprised me to see how common mixing them up is, and it's frustrating to realize you've been messing up writing a language just because everyone makes the mistake and you actually learned it right at school. We did learn certain pronunciations and use of a few words wrong for some reason, so hey, it's not impossible!
I should just learn to check everything I hear instead of being angry at myself afterwards.

"No offense" is something I can agree with. I hate being told that. Not because it offends me because it usually doesn't, but because I feel forced to be offended. To me it sounds like they're saying "you're so fragile, I know you're gonna be offended but I'll say don't because you can't deal with the world" in most occasions. Sure, not always, and I don't mention it when I'm addressed directly, I get it's likely not normally used that way. I also don't like the word [someone] problem but I do have a lot of me problems. It's the only way I'd accept using it XD

"You just don't see it." Yes, that's often the case, but never when this sentence gets thrown around. Why can't I have a feeling for whether jokes etc have a negative impact on my aggression? Just an example for when people who don't know me say not super nice language inevitable makes people do cruel things to others. But of course I know I don't, or at least didn't, know myself well so as long as I don't have any good arguments I won't say no, that's definitely not the case.

Also something I feel weird about is people calling themselves weird and unique when they want people to stop disliking what they love although there are sooo many people they personally know that think the exact same thing. Sorry but I have absolutely no admiration for this kind of "uniqueness", like what you want, try to get me to like it, I love suggestions, but pleasedon't try to get me to feel bad about disliking it if you don't even bother to endure me talking about what I like for a minute. I'm pretty sure this is one of the ways I unlearned talking about things I love without getting unnecessarily nervous.
So I read through the thread and I both feel stuff and feel bad for stuff?

I'm slow with adjusting to using words and phrases I didn't know (mostly "cool words", "normal" words aren't that bad) that are very common, but once I talk to people a lot I'll start using some of the words too. Like hm, I normally say dog but in the right environment I'll say doggo a couple of times. Abbreviations too.

I've never seen "could care less"? Only ever "couldn't". Do I live under a rock? The only time I've seen it was when I wrote it in the context of "I could care less but I don't really care enough to [whatever]."

Your/you're, they're/their throws me off. I've never had a problem with grammar in my native language and I guess my English grammar is good enough for many situations (at least at school I never had a problem with it, it all depends on who I compare myself with) so I'm really not in a position to judge it, I know English good enough to be able to tell if they taught me wrong or if others make mistakes and I make. It still surprised me to see how common mixing them up is, and it's frustrating to realize you've been messing up writing a language just because everyone makes the mistake and you actually learned it right at school. We did learn certain pronunciations and use of a few words wrong for some reason, so hey, it's not impossible!
I should just learn to check everything I hear instead of being angry at myself afterwards.

"No offense" is something I can agree with. I hate being told that. Not because it offends me because it usually doesn't, but because I feel forced to be offended. To me it sounds like they're saying "you're so fragile, I know you're gonna be offended but I'll say don't because you can't deal with the world" in most occasions. Sure, not always, and I don't mention it when I'm addressed directly, I get it's likely not normally used that way. I also don't like the word [someone] problem but I do have a lot of me problems. It's the only way I'd accept using it XD

"You just don't see it." Yes, that's often the case, but never when this sentence gets thrown around. Why can't I have a feeling for whether jokes etc have a negative impact on my aggression? Just an example for when people who don't know me say not super nice language inevitable makes people do cruel things to others. But of course I know I don't, or at least didn't, know myself well so as long as I don't have any good arguments I won't say no, that's definitely not the case.

Also something I feel weird about is people calling themselves weird and unique when they want people to stop disliking what they love although there are sooo many people they personally know that think the exact same thing. Sorry but I have absolutely no admiration for this kind of "uniqueness", like what you want, try to get me to like it, I love suggestions, but pleasedon't try to get me to feel bad about disliking it if you don't even bother to endure me talking about what I like for a minute. I'm pretty sure this is one of the ways I unlearned talking about things I love without getting unnecessarily nervous.
P(I have enough dragons)=1/9999999999999999999999999999^9999999
It's a bad obsession, it's always messing, it's always messing my lair
News about my dragons
"And bob’s your uncle"

Don’t know why I hate it so much. Also when I was a kid for some reason "bob’s your uncle" I would interpret this phrase in my head as visually someone bumping their elbow into someone’s ribs. Weird.
"And bob’s your uncle"

Don’t know why I hate it so much. Also when I was a kid for some reason "bob’s your uncle" I would interpret this phrase in my head as visually someone bumping their elbow into someone’s ribs. Weird.
Phrases like, "No one is ugly; the world is just judgmental."

That is such a terrible attitude. Ugly people exist, and if that fact offends you, it sounds like you're the judgmental one. You're basically implying that if someone is not good-looking, they are inferior.
Phrases like, "No one is ugly; the world is just judgmental."

That is such a terrible attitude. Ugly people exist, and if that fact offends you, it sounds like you're the judgmental one. You're basically implying that if someone is not good-looking, they are inferior.
I made this signature just for the achievement.
DoWn tO EaRtH
DoWn tO EaRtH
9e9feb1cd233d5fc793ec7c6dd43c14e98d311f2.gif
I don't know if this is an actual phrase in Western countries but 'is it a must?' grinds on my gears so much... it's not even gramatically correct. 'Long time no see' as well considering how it also has a sinophobic context
I don't know if this is an actual phrase in Western countries but 'is it a must?' grinds on my gears so much... it's not even gramatically correct. 'Long time no see' as well considering how it also has a sinophobic context
image0.gif
any variation of "well, we're all a little ___!"
no we all aren't gay. we all don't have ocd/adhd/bipolar/etc. stop downplaying the struggles of those that do!
any variation of "well, we're all a little ___!"
no we all aren't gay. we all don't have ocd/adhd/bipolar/etc. stop downplaying the struggles of those that do!
8WTwXo3.gif he/they/xey
chaotic neutral
g585y1V.png
OxagJgG.png

z3FSuck.png
apUeZZ4.png
W3QjiXj.png tI1ezOM.png
2557821.png
I have a few just because they are over repeated and used so often around me.

"Delightful"
"True Story"
"Like"
"Fulfilling"
"One more time"-No you don't mean 1 more time!!!!!
"The reality is..."
I have a few just because they are over repeated and used so often around me.

"Delightful"
"True Story"
"Like"
"Fulfilling"
"One more time"-No you don't mean 1 more time!!!!!
"The reality is..."
Hey I'm Helix|+2 FR Time| I collect Jade/Obsidian dragons regardless of the tert or Gen Check out my Accent shop!
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16