Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The Arcane Conclave
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 23
((@qwigoqwaga who's Myria talking to? We're split up into a few groups.))

Clementia's lazy frills perked up once again. "Do I!"

Atavus chuckled. "Oh, you've done it now, she'll be on like this for hours."

"Hush, you." She affectionately poked his neck with her nose. "I study applied magical theory. In a nutshell, I look at the underpinnings of magic - the theory of why it works the way it does - and then use that to extrapolate new ways to use it, or ways to modify old spells. Unfortunately that doesn't lend itself to very spectacular demonstrations, so I'm mostly here selling books and instruments." Her frills flickered in a Fae chuckle.

"And I study magical history," Atavus added. "Again, not much spectacle to be found there. We do, however, have some very interesting pieces, if you're at all interested in antique magical equipment or texts."

"And," piped up Galea from behind the counter, "if you're not totally boring, there's a trio of lightning, fire and light casters a couple of aisles over who're gonna throw a fireworks show as soon as the sun goes down."

Atavus scowled down at his daughter.

Dolose's ears drooped slightly at the news of the lost records. "Oh, that's a shame. Atavus is a historian; he always hates to hear about things like that happening."
((@qwigoqwaga who's Myria talking to? We're split up into a few groups.))

Clementia's lazy frills perked up once again. "Do I!"

Atavus chuckled. "Oh, you've done it now, she'll be on like this for hours."

"Hush, you." She affectionately poked his neck with her nose. "I study applied magical theory. In a nutshell, I look at the underpinnings of magic - the theory of why it works the way it does - and then use that to extrapolate new ways to use it, or ways to modify old spells. Unfortunately that doesn't lend itself to very spectacular demonstrations, so I'm mostly here selling books and instruments." Her frills flickered in a Fae chuckle.

"And I study magical history," Atavus added. "Again, not much spectacle to be found there. We do, however, have some very interesting pieces, if you're at all interested in antique magical equipment or texts."

"And," piped up Galea from behind the counter, "if you're not totally boring, there's a trio of lightning, fire and light casters a couple of aisles over who're gonna throw a fireworks show as soon as the sun goes down."

Atavus scowled down at his daughter.

Dolose's ears drooped slightly at the news of the lost records. "Oh, that's a shame. Atavus is a historian; he always hates to hear about things like that happening."
t9lWbAR.png
By Raquel
"Well, if he'd like, I'm sure there're a few archivists here and I'm sure they wouldn't mind Atavus looking through, if he's careful. Ah. Looks like Valdera has stepped out for the moment. We'd best wait." Brudigan said, his frills twitching with annoyance as he perched on the large counter outside the rather bare bland looking pavilion that took up a lot all of its own.
"Well, if he'd like, I'm sure there're a few archivists here and I'm sure they wouldn't mind Atavus looking through, if he's careful. Ah. Looks like Valdera has stepped out for the moment. We'd best wait." Brudigan said, his frills twitching with annoyance as he perched on the large counter outside the rather bare bland looking pavilion that took up a lot all of its own.
'Why are you frowning?' -Temeraire's first words.
9PO79Ra.png kBLPNEQ.png
((@Callide The ones at the stand: Beltissa, Molerince, Atavus, and Clementia I think ^^ Molerince was talking about their experiment))
((@Callide The ones at the stand: Beltissa, Molerince, Atavus, and Clementia I think ^^ Molerince was talking about their experiment))
ice_rune_50x50.png ICEWARDEN_sig.png
Max picked himself off the ground and nudged the sphere gingerly. It didn't react. The slim Fae picked up the small chunk of metal and groaned. That wasn't supposed to happen. He had been experimenting with the little ball when it had suddenly knocked him backwards, and now he couldn't examine it with his magic. He tried again but the spell fizzled. He looked around, hoping that nobody had noticed, then tapped the artifact again. It gave off a few sparks and then began to smoke. Max quickly dropped it and stared in consternation at the metal orb. He had found it laying in an alleyway and had brought it up here to examine it, but something seemed to have gone very wrong with his experiment..
((The sphere has temporarily dampened all magic, as the Conclave is about to discover.)
Max picked himself off the ground and nudged the sphere gingerly. It didn't react. The slim Fae picked up the small chunk of metal and groaned. That wasn't supposed to happen. He had been experimenting with the little ball when it had suddenly knocked him backwards, and now he couldn't examine it with his magic. He tried again but the spell fizzled. He looked around, hoping that nobody had noticed, then tapped the artifact again. It gave off a few sparks and then began to smoke. Max quickly dropped it and stared in consternation at the metal orb. He had found it laying in an alleyway and had brought it up here to examine it, but something seemed to have gone very wrong with his experiment..
((The sphere has temporarily dampened all magic, as the Conclave is about to discover.)
lZEZOSe.png9g0BXbt.gif

zjjpmw.jpg
((Felix, no, I'd had something in mind for the magic failure, and it's tied to the plot.))
((Felix, no, I'd had something in mind for the magic failure, and it's tied to the plot.))
t9lWbAR.png
By Raquel
Mercor stops to look at a couple of the stalls, interested despite himself. There's a couple of Earth dragons manipulating metal that's liquid in the warm air of the Conclave, and two Fire dragons further on showing off embers that didn't burn anyone who touched them.

Aishling looks more worried than not, and she keeps craning her head every now and then as if looking for something that isn't there. "Does something feel...odd, to you?" She asks after a while, bending her neck around to talk to Mercor.
Mercor stops to look at a couple of the stalls, interested despite himself. There's a couple of Earth dragons manipulating metal that's liquid in the warm air of the Conclave, and two Fire dragons further on showing off embers that didn't burn anyone who touched them.

Aishling looks more worried than not, and she keeps craning her head every now and then as if looking for something that isn't there. "Does something feel...odd, to you?" She asks after a while, bending her neck around to talk to Mercor.
tXKbExw.png
((Sorry I'm late, I wasn't in a very productive state yesterday.
Also, I'm assuming that Myria's been generally fluttering about.))

"Ah, but it's not always something flashy that has the greatest potential." Belttissa lifted her frills in a little Fae-smile.

Molerince gave a little "hm," before turning her attention to this new Fae, "well, we've been looking at ways to consciously observe dreams using these." She tapped an orb which had been prepared with Faes in mind. "Unfortunately the last test was unsuccessful, so it's definitely still a work-in-progress...unless it was an anomaly..." The Wildclaw mused the last phrase half to herself.
She looked back at the stall-owners and dipped her head a little in embarrassment, hoping that she wasn't coming across as rude or absent-minded for turning her attention away to the newcomer.

"I know that Tzynket is certainly keen on preserving works of the past and making sure they're respected." Belttissa said to the Mirror, before speaking again to Clementia, "may I ask what kind of progress you've made?"
((Sorry I'm late, I wasn't in a very productive state yesterday.
Also, I'm assuming that Myria's been generally fluttering about.))

"Ah, but it's not always something flashy that has the greatest potential." Belttissa lifted her frills in a little Fae-smile.

Molerince gave a little "hm," before turning her attention to this new Fae, "well, we've been looking at ways to consciously observe dreams using these." She tapped an orb which had been prepared with Faes in mind. "Unfortunately the last test was unsuccessful, so it's definitely still a work-in-progress...unless it was an anomaly..." The Wildclaw mused the last phrase half to herself.
She looked back at the stall-owners and dipped her head a little in embarrassment, hoping that she wasn't coming across as rude or absent-minded for turning her attention away to the newcomer.

"I know that Tzynket is certainly keen on preserving works of the past and making sure they're respected." Belttissa said to the Mirror, before speaking again to Clementia, "may I ask what kind of progress you've made?"
thvaFIy.gif merrilyn_stanzascale_100_by_dragonnmr-daepisq.gif Al57MeZ.pngpczVZcg.png5VYqqm9.pngPGOToAl.png CNCiTkT.png 2uXjxgw.png
Clementia dipped her head modestly. "Well," she said, "last year I discovered an anomaly in several traditional meditative rune sequences that allows one to channel magic with as much of a fifteen per cent increase in efficiency during certain celestial conjunctions that fall in the middle of autumn. I still haven't worked out why it works that way, but I have theories." She reached over to a stack of scrolls and pulled down a map, spreading it out on the counter. "Here you can see I've marked out several leyline confluences in Dragonhome, and here I've diagrammed them with an overlay of the runes in question - see the resemblance?" Her crests were fluttering excitedly as she rambled. "This has fascinating implications for my hypothesis on the origins of magic. I'm planning an expedition to the ruins of the Pillar during the next Rockbreaker's Ceremony to study the phenomenon."

Galea had been giving her mother a blank look throughout the dense, fast-paced explanation. Now she looked at the observers and rolled her eyes, as if to say 'see what I have to put up with?' A moment later, she yelped and jumped as Atavus's tail smacked into the back of her head.
Clementia dipped her head modestly. "Well," she said, "last year I discovered an anomaly in several traditional meditative rune sequences that allows one to channel magic with as much of a fifteen per cent increase in efficiency during certain celestial conjunctions that fall in the middle of autumn. I still haven't worked out why it works that way, but I have theories." She reached over to a stack of scrolls and pulled down a map, spreading it out on the counter. "Here you can see I've marked out several leyline confluences in Dragonhome, and here I've diagrammed them with an overlay of the runes in question - see the resemblance?" Her crests were fluttering excitedly as she rambled. "This has fascinating implications for my hypothesis on the origins of magic. I'm planning an expedition to the ruins of the Pillar during the next Rockbreaker's Ceremony to study the phenomenon."

Galea had been giving her mother a blank look throughout the dense, fast-paced explanation. Now she looked at the observers and rolled her eyes, as if to say 'see what I have to put up with?' A moment later, she yelped and jumped as Atavus's tail smacked into the back of her head.
t9lWbAR.png
By Raquel
"Valdera must've gone hunting. He usually doesn't leave the bank otherwise." Brudigan commented. "And Reshaki has probably fallen asleep underwater again, though considering she hasn't been swimming in five days, I guess I shouldn't be surprised." He added idly.
"What's your clan like?" He asked Dolose. They were probably going to be waiting a while, so they might as well talk.
"Valdera must've gone hunting. He usually doesn't leave the bank otherwise." Brudigan commented. "And Reshaki has probably fallen asleep underwater again, though considering she hasn't been swimming in five days, I guess I shouldn't be surprised." He added idly.
"What's your clan like?" He asked Dolose. They were probably going to be waiting a while, so they might as well talk.
'Why are you frowning?' -Temeraire's first words.
9PO79Ra.png kBLPNEQ.png
Dolose settled down and stretched out his front legs, making himself comfortable on the ground.

"Hmm." He thought the question over, trying to come up with a succinct answer. "...Well, the story of how I joined them might sum it up. I ran away from the Tangled Wood when I was just a hatchling, and ran across Atavus and Clementia on one of their expeditions to the Sunbeam Ruins. I got interested in what they were doing there, tried to be sneaky about it at first, but it quickly became obvious that they barely noticed anything other than the tablets they were translating." He chuckled. "I could walk right up to them and ask anything I wanted, and they'd just rattle off an absentminded answer like it was the most normal thing in the world to have a baby Shadow dragon grilling them about archaeological practices in the middle of Light territory. ...They were probably just glad there was somebody there to bounce things off of, to tell the truth.

"Either way, when they eventually packed up and went back home, they just took me with them. I honestly think they'd forgotten that I they hadn't brought me along with them when they left home in the first place."
Dolose settled down and stretched out his front legs, making himself comfortable on the ground.

"Hmm." He thought the question over, trying to come up with a succinct answer. "...Well, the story of how I joined them might sum it up. I ran away from the Tangled Wood when I was just a hatchling, and ran across Atavus and Clementia on one of their expeditions to the Sunbeam Ruins. I got interested in what they were doing there, tried to be sneaky about it at first, but it quickly became obvious that they barely noticed anything other than the tablets they were translating." He chuckled. "I could walk right up to them and ask anything I wanted, and they'd just rattle off an absentminded answer like it was the most normal thing in the world to have a baby Shadow dragon grilling them about archaeological practices in the middle of Light territory. ...They were probably just glad there was somebody there to bounce things off of, to tell the truth.

"Either way, when they eventually packed up and went back home, they just took me with them. I honestly think they'd forgotten that I they hadn't brought me along with them when they left home in the first place."
t9lWbAR.png
By Raquel
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 23