Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Write Away
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 91 92
Sad that I was the only entry but glad I participated so you didnt have to find a new prompt. Like o said, it was purely coincidental I went the rpute I went with my piece. ----- [size=2]Chrisondra @Mypilot @PixieKnight3264 @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @hume @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Auraelia @Endernil @Arithelia @Annalynn @meddlesomedragon @SocialBookWorm @Kattata @Reiyn @lessthan3 @AwkwardAngel @Draxia @0Musicheart0 @Aphelium @AloneTogether @CelestialNarwhal @Kapara @Slayborn @pharmakraken @Solstices @Elroth @Adaris @LapisDragon17718 @Kumie @MysticalScribe @TwoSwordsClash @AnacondaMiracle @Gula @GalazyBunny @Macchi @MxMagpie @catmeow1 @TundraReign @GreatLordHades @TwilightDreams @stanlley @Eiira @seige @VeronicaSawyer @mischiefsabre @Midoriko @VoyagerII @Emberlight @Chessboard @HardcoreUvula @monochromia @NotThePinkKirby @PalladiumX @Shikigami @Darkmoonbreeder @MythicalCookie @Silver202 @Idyll @Crystalinastar @FlamingDragon02[/size] Here is the next prompt: [url=https://www.boredpanda.com/angels-wings/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic][img]https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Angels-Wings-5e84ee2ebb1ea__880.jpg[/img][/url] [b]Deadline: April 12th (that way there is some for everyone)[/b] [color=red][b]I found this on a site I frequent. The artist signature is still on the piece and the image links back to where I found it. The artist is Bruce Rolff[/b]
Sad that I was the only entry but glad I participated so you didnt have to find a new prompt. Like o said, it was purely coincidental I went the rpute I went with my piece.
Chrisondra @Mypilot @PixieKnight3264 @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @hume @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Auraelia @Endernil @Arithelia @Annalynn @meddlesomedragon @SocialBookWorm @Kattata @Reiyn @lessthan3 @AwkwardAngel @Draxia @0Musicheart0 @Aphelium @AloneTogether @CelestialNarwhal @Kapara @Slayborn @pharmakraken @Solstices @Elroth @Adaris @LapisDragon17718 @Kumie @MysticalScribe @TwoSwordsClash @AnacondaMiracle @Gula @GalazyBunny @Macchi @MxMagpie @catmeow1 @TundraReign @GreatLordHades @TwilightDreams @stanlley @Eiira @seige @VeronicaSawyer @mischiefsabre @Midoriko @VoyagerII @Emberlight @Chessboard @HardcoreUvula @monochromia @NotThePinkKirby @PalladiumX @Shikigami @Darkmoonbreeder @MythicalCookie @Silver202 @Idyll @Crystalinastar @FlamingDragon02

Here is the next prompt:
Angels-Wings-5e84ee2ebb1ea__880.jpg

Deadline: April 12th (that way there is some for everyone)
I found this on a site I frequent. The artist signature is still on the piece and the image links back to where I found it. The artist is Bruce Rolff
Eyeballs2.png
Author's Note: In the word g-ddess, there should be an o, but for personal religious reasons, I put a dash there instead. I hope it's not too confusing :P Anyway, here's my submission!

Feathers gone and gone to dust that dances in the light
(Dance, darling, dance above the stars.)
She is flying, flying high, dancing in the night
(Dance, darling, through the final bars.)
The stars are gone, the night is dark
The wind is bitter, cold and stark
She's almost ready to embark
(Dance, darling, dance.)

The clouded sky is bruised to blue,
The broken road will guide you true
To home.

Feathers swirling, swirling round, and twisting in the air
She is twisting, turning, beyond any earthly care
(Dance, darling, even through your scars.)
And there's a sparkle in her eye
A glimmer quick and bright and spry
How dare we walk when we can fly?
(Dance, darling, dance.)

The clouded sky is bruised to grey,
The broken road will show the way
To home.

Feathers twist together now to make a midnight bird
(Dance, g-ddess, dance above the stars.)
She is calling, calling now, the music goes unheard
(Dance, g-ddess, for the world is ours.)
The dancer and the nightingale
Go flying home by devil's trail
They leave behind a broken tale
(Dance, g-ddess, dance.)

The clouded sky is bruised to black,
The broken road will lead you back
To home.
Author's Note: In the word g-ddess, there should be an o, but for personal religious reasons, I put a dash there instead. I hope it's not too confusing :P Anyway, here's my submission!

Feathers gone and gone to dust that dances in the light
She is flying, flying high, dancing in the night
(Dance, darling, through the final bars.)
The stars are gone, the night is dark
The wind is bitter, cold and stark
She's almost ready to embark
(Dance, darling, dance.)

The clouded sky is bruised to blue,
The broken road will guide you true
To home.

Feathers swirling, swirling round, and twisting in the air
She is twisting, turning, beyond any earthly care
(Dance, darling, even through your scars.)
And there's a sparkle in her eye
A glimmer quick and bright and spry
How dare we walk when we can fly?
(Dance, darling, dance.)

The clouded sky is bruised to grey,
The broken road will show the way
To home.

Feathers twist together now to make a midnight bird
(Dance, g-ddess, dance above the stars.)
She is calling, calling now, the music goes unheard
(Dance, g-ddess, for the world is ours.)
The dancer and the nightingale
Go flying home by devil's trail
They leave behind a broken tale
(Dance, g-ddess, dance.)

The clouded sky is bruised to black,
The broken road will lead you back
To home.
2bbMm1c.pngOne for sorrow, two for joy...936TVGr.png
@Squirrelatory, took some liberties with the prompt.
"You're leaving tomorrow, Auntie Lydia?"

"I couldn't miss this for the world, now, could I?" She and Reed looked up from their recliners. A dense, bright cloud splashed across the night sky. Last night, the Milky Way had filled the sky uninterrupted, but tonight, a dark shadow bisected it. The Magpie Bridge shifted, stirred; if Lydia closed her eyes and focused, she could pretend to hear wings beating against air.

Two stars shone on either side of the line. Tale as old as time. Cowherd and the Weaver. Altair and Vega.

In the dim light of their red lantern, Lydia saw Reed pout.

"Little man." She shifted to face him. "You know I love you a lot, so I have to keep myself fed, or else the future of these visits grows uncertain." For the last part, she pitched her voice to imitate old wizards. That earned a giggle from Reed. Good. "Free lunches don't fill me up, so back to work I go." She patted her belly for comedic effect, but Reed's smile had already vanished. Dang. Kids these days. So difficult to please. "The cosmos willing, I'll be back in a month. Before you know it, we'll be celebrating our birthdays together!"

"A month?" He stretched out the vowels in a whine.

"Hey, hey, now, these two"—she pointed at the Magpie Bridge connecting the two stars—"had to wait a year. Their kids had to wait a year to see Weaver, too." She turned onto her back. It was late (if immortals could not enforce bedtime on Qixi, mere mortals like her had no hope), so if the moon hadn't set, then it was low enough for the mountains to obscure it. "Reed?"

"Yeah?"

"Look for the moon tomorrow, before you go to bed." She raised a hand. "It'll look about half, maybe a bit more than half full. Throughout the week, the moon's going to grow, or wax. In a week,"—actually one or two days more—"it'll be completely full, then it will wane. It'll also rise later and later in the night, so if you tell me you stayed up all night to watch the moon, no more funny breakfast pancakes." She wagged a finger and tried to make herself look as Adult Authority Here and Serious Business as she could. Based on Reed's expression, Lydia thought it might be working. "The moon then becomes invisible"—kind of, building a Wittgenstein's ladder proved harder than she thought—"then waxes again. A little past half full, I'll be back."

Moon. Month. Early humans picked stellar names.

Lydia could see the gears turning. She waited. Finally, Reed said, "Promise?"

She frowned. "You know I can't do that. Lots will have to go right; some I can control, the rest I can't." Lydia thought she spoke too harshly sometimes, but she was too principled for her own good. Generous rounding in astronomy lessons was about as close to lying to children as she would get. "If I don't make it, you'll know I have a darned good reason for it."

"Okay." Reed fidgeted in his recliner. "Auntie Lydia?"

"Yeah?" Her eyes tracked the Magpie Bridge as it bobbed in the sky.

"How do the magpies on the bridge not get squooshed when Cowherd, Weaver, and their kids stand on them?"
@Squirrelatory, took some liberties with the prompt.
"You're leaving tomorrow, Auntie Lydia?"

"I couldn't miss this for the world, now, could I?" She and Reed looked up from their recliners. A dense, bright cloud splashed across the night sky. Last night, the Milky Way had filled the sky uninterrupted, but tonight, a dark shadow bisected it. The Magpie Bridge shifted, stirred; if Lydia closed her eyes and focused, she could pretend to hear wings beating against air.

Two stars shone on either side of the line. Tale as old as time. Cowherd and the Weaver. Altair and Vega.

In the dim light of their red lantern, Lydia saw Reed pout.

"Little man." She shifted to face him. "You know I love you a lot, so I have to keep myself fed, or else the future of these visits grows uncertain." For the last part, she pitched her voice to imitate old wizards. That earned a giggle from Reed. Good. "Free lunches don't fill me up, so back to work I go." She patted her belly for comedic effect, but Reed's smile had already vanished. Dang. Kids these days. So difficult to please. "The cosmos willing, I'll be back in a month. Before you know it, we'll be celebrating our birthdays together!"

"A month?" He stretched out the vowels in a whine.

"Hey, hey, now, these two"—she pointed at the Magpie Bridge connecting the two stars—"had to wait a year. Their kids had to wait a year to see Weaver, too." She turned onto her back. It was late (if immortals could not enforce bedtime on Qixi, mere mortals like her had no hope), so if the moon hadn't set, then it was low enough for the mountains to obscure it. "Reed?"

"Yeah?"

"Look for the moon tomorrow, before you go to bed." She raised a hand. "It'll look about half, maybe a bit more than half full. Throughout the week, the moon's going to grow, or wax. In a week,"—actually one or two days more—"it'll be completely full, then it will wane. It'll also rise later and later in the night, so if you tell me you stayed up all night to watch the moon, no more funny breakfast pancakes." She wagged a finger and tried to make herself look as Adult Authority Here and Serious Business as she could. Based on Reed's expression, Lydia thought it might be working. "The moon then becomes invisible"—kind of, building a Wittgenstein's ladder proved harder than she thought—"then waxes again. A little past half full, I'll be back."

Moon. Month. Early humans picked stellar names.

Lydia could see the gears turning. She waited. Finally, Reed said, "Promise?"

She frowned. "You know I can't do that. Lots will have to go right; some I can control, the rest I can't." Lydia thought she spoke too harshly sometimes, but she was too principled for her own good. Generous rounding in astronomy lessons was about as close to lying to children as she would get. "If I don't make it, you'll know I have a darned good reason for it."

"Okay." Reed fidgeted in his recliner. "Auntie Lydia?"

"Yeah?" Her eyes tracked the Magpie Bridge as it bobbed in the sky.

"How do the magpies on the bridge not get squooshed when Cowherd, Weaver, and their kids stand on them?"
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
@MxMagpie
Your song/poem was well written and I liked how you incorporated dofferent emotions of live and sadness, or at least that's what I gathered from it. If I were in your shoes, I would have replaced 'darling' and 'goddess' with angel(to clarify, not because of the wings but the emotions to me feel like sad lovers).

@nuttysaladtree,
1. Cool username
2. I thought it awfully sweet of the aunt and nephew bonding over the moon and stars. I have two younger siblings and I picture Reed to be the same age as my youngest sibling. It was really reminiscent of when he was younger and I had to go to school and he didn't want me to leave.

To both of you;
I don't think that this was a fair fight. Nuttysaladtree has won this round because they made me nostalgic and happy. I thought both of your pieces were great and I can't wait to read more. Thank you so much for participating!
This is my first time announcing a winner, so if I need to ping the whole group, let me know and I can add them. Any critiques or suggestions also welcome. I'd rather someone say something than nothing.
@MxMagpie
Your song/poem was well written and I liked how you incorporated dofferent emotions of live and sadness, or at least that's what I gathered from it. If I were in your shoes, I would have replaced 'darling' and 'goddess' with angel(to clarify, not because of the wings but the emotions to me feel like sad lovers).

@nuttysaladtree,
1. Cool username
2. I thought it awfully sweet of the aunt and nephew bonding over the moon and stars. I have two younger siblings and I picture Reed to be the same age as my youngest sibling. It was really reminiscent of when he was younger and I had to go to school and he didn't want me to leave.

To both of you;
I don't think that this was a fair fight. Nuttysaladtree has won this round because they made me nostalgic and happy. I thought both of your pieces were great and I can't wait to read more. Thank you so much for participating!
This is my first time announcing a winner, so if I need to ping the whole group, let me know and I can add them. Any critiques or suggestions also welcome. I'd rather someone say something than nothing.
Eyeballs2.png
@Squirrelatory
Thank you for the critique! I've certainly considered replacing the word 'darling,' but I've been stuck on what to replace it with. I like your idea a lot :) you did just fine in the way you announced the winner. You don't need to ping everyone, @/nuttysaladtree will ping everyone when they choose the next prompt. Welcome to Write Away!
@Squirrelatory
Thank you for the critique! I've certainly considered replacing the word 'darling,' but I've been stuck on what to replace it with. I like your idea a lot :) you did just fine in the way you announced the winner. You don't need to ping everyone, @/nuttysaladtree will ping everyone when they choose the next prompt. Welcome to Write Away!
@Squirrelatory,
1. Thank you!
2. When you told me Reed reminded you of your sibling when he was younger, I felt so relieved because something about how I'd written Reed bothered me a bit!

To everyone else: thank you so much for waiting!

Prompt: Heist.
Deadline: April 23, 2020 11:59 pm

--Pinglist here was snipped--
@Squirrelatory,
1. Thank you!
2. When you told me Reed reminded you of your sibling when he was younger, I felt so relieved because something about how I'd written Reed bothered me a bit!

To everyone else: thank you so much for waiting!

Prompt: Heist.
Deadline: April 23, 2020 11:59 pm

--Pinglist here was snipped--
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
Hello, @MxMagpie, and hope you're well! If no one responds to the prompt by the deadline, would you like to post the next one instead?
Hello, @MxMagpie, and hope you're well! If no one responds to the prompt by the deadline, would you like to post the next one instead?
Writing Prompts
@nuttysaladtree
Aww, I hope you're well too! I'm happy to give the next prompt if you want me too, but only if you want me too. Usually if a prompt gets no responses, the original poster comes up with a new prompt and tries again. It's pretty common, honestly - one time I gave three separate prompts before I got any responses!

So if you don't feel like giving another prompt, I'm totally okay with giving one, but if you do want to, go for it! It's no problem either way ;)
@nuttysaladtree
Aww, I hope you're well too! I'm happy to give the next prompt if you want me too, but only if you want me too. Usually if a prompt gets no responses, the original poster comes up with a new prompt and tries again. It's pretty common, honestly - one time I gave three separate prompts before I got any responses!

So if you don't feel like giving another prompt, I'm totally okay with giving one, but if you do want to, go for it! It's no problem either way ;)
@MxMagpie, thank you for your kindness! I'll give it another shot, then.

Prompt: "So, how did you meet?"

Deadline: May 5, 05:55 FR time
previously posted on SYTYCW

--pinglist snipped--
@MxMagpie, thank you for your kindness! I'll give it another shot, then.

Prompt: "So, how did you meet?"

Deadline: May 5, 05:55 FR time
previously posted on SYTYCW

--pinglist snipped--
Writing Prompts
@nuttysaladtree
"So, how did you meet?" The waitress asked with a smile.

Under the table I dragged a knife up his leg, causing him to tremble. I smiled at her.

"I was supposed to kill him. But when I met my target and saw him for the first time, I knew I recognized him. He's the one who put me in this position in the first place. The reason I never get to see my family again. The reason I was broken so many times, turning black and blue.

"He told me my life would be better. That was before he chained me and other women. It was before he dragged us, beat us, and sold us to the highest bidder. He was kind and gentle and pretended to love me. After I had been taken away by another man with brutal hands and a taste for choking and beating and domination, I thought I was done for. Then I was sold again to a man belonging to the Serpentine.

"The Serpentine are a group of home and hitwomen. I got trained in most styles of fighting. Hand-to-hand, sword, guns, the gist. Now"
I look at the waitress' eyes grow wide. "Now I am the one in control of his life and I want to make him suffer through his last moments. I want to watch the last word cone out of his mouth. I need to see his eyes as they glass over and freeze in absolute fear. This is his last meal. I am not mean-hearted. Get the man whatever he wants."

I return the blade to the table and play with the fork from the fancy restaurant set. Each bite he took, I stabbed his leg. Then when he was done I had a few girls waiting in a warehouse where we beat him black and blue. His final moments were strung up and cut multiple times all over. A lighter burning his flesh. Every time he struggled a cooked scent wafted into the air. Each time he struggled, the rope around his throat and hands tightened, slowly killing him.

Funny how he was the love of my life and now I couldn't care less that the rats of the barge had a feast tonight.
@nuttysaladtree
"So, how did you meet?" The waitress asked with a smile.

Under the table I dragged a knife up his leg, causing him to tremble. I smiled at her.

"I was supposed to kill him. But when I met my target and saw him for the first time, I knew I recognized him. He's the one who put me in this position in the first place. The reason I never get to see my family again. The reason I was broken so many times, turning black and blue.

"He told me my life would be better. That was before he chained me and other women. It was before he dragged us, beat us, and sold us to the highest bidder. He was kind and gentle and pretended to love me. After I had been taken away by another man with brutal hands and a taste for choking and beating and domination, I thought I was done for. Then I was sold again to a man belonging to the Serpentine.

"The Serpentine are a group of home and hitwomen. I got trained in most styles of fighting. Hand-to-hand, sword, guns, the gist. Now"
I look at the waitress' eyes grow wide. "Now I am the one in control of his life and I want to make him suffer through his last moments. I want to watch the last word cone out of his mouth. I need to see his eyes as they glass over and freeze in absolute fear. This is his last meal. I am not mean-hearted. Get the man whatever he wants."

I return the blade to the table and play with the fork from the fancy restaurant set. Each bite he took, I stabbed his leg. Then when he was done I had a few girls waiting in a warehouse where we beat him black and blue. His final moments were strung up and cut multiple times all over. A lighter burning his flesh. Every time he struggled a cooked scent wafted into the air. Each time he struggled, the rope around his throat and hands tightened, slowly killing him.

Funny how he was the love of my life and now I couldn't care less that the rats of the barge had a feast tonight.
Eyeballs2.png
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 91 92