Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The Pride Alliance
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17
I've never heard of this RuPaul's show. Should I check it out? :o The gifs in the post above me are making the choice lean towards yes.

For my part, I'm cis and... queer, of an indeterminate and fluctuating sexuality. Sometimes I'm almost exclusively attracted to girls, and sometimes I go "EVERYONE IS ATTRACTIVE WHAT DO I DO". So I just use 'queer'.

(As a side note, I really like how civil people are being in this thread. It's really nice to see, especially after some of the hyperaggressive fights on places like LJ.)
I've never heard of this RuPaul's show. Should I check it out? :o The gifs in the post above me are making the choice lean towards yes.

For my part, I'm cis and... queer, of an indeterminate and fluctuating sexuality. Sometimes I'm almost exclusively attracted to girls, and sometimes I go "EVERYONE IS ATTRACTIVE WHAT DO I DO". So I just use 'queer'.

(As a side note, I really like how civil people are being in this thread. It's really nice to see, especially after some of the hyperaggressive fights on places like LJ.)
[quote name="Casandraelf" date="2013-07-09 18:19:33" url="main.php?p=mb&board=gend&page=4&id=390306#401990"]Moving on, I have a little pet theory about homosexuality, although it could probably be applied to any alternate sexuality. The theory is this: homosexuality is a failsafe population control put in place by nature. Humans are hit with it the most because we don't have any natural enemies. Infighting and disease just aren't keeping us under control, so homosexuality occurs much more often in humans. Homosexual behavior has been recorded in the animal kingdom, but it's significantly less common than it is in humans.[/quote] That's an extremely common theory actually. And I believe it 100%. It's not working out for nature so well that there is now surrogacy but as long as a percentage of the population chooses not to breed then we should be fine. I already have two kids and am planning on fostering, adopting, and maybe having one more biological child. But my sister and her husband hate kids and just have a mess of dogs instead.
Moving on, I have a little pet theory about homosexuality, although it could probably be applied to any alternate sexuality. The theory is this: homosexuality is a failsafe population control put in place by nature. Humans are hit with it the most because we don't have any natural enemies. Infighting and disease just aren't keeping us under control, so homosexuality occurs much more often in humans. Homosexual behavior has been recorded in the animal kingdom, but it's significantly less common than it is in humans.

That's an extremely common theory actually. And I believe it 100%. It's not working out for nature so well that there is now surrogacy but as long as a percentage of the population chooses not to breed then we should be fine. I already have two kids and am planning on fostering, adopting, and maybe having one more biological child. But my sister and her husband hate kids and just have a mess of dogs instead.
tumblr_nxwndpS5cq1sfz95mo2_500.png
@Casandraelf: I honestly don't know! I'm 16 - and I've researched modern options extensively - so there's a lot of time before I'll have kids, and there's a good chance that technology and options will have changed in 10+ years. And of course, I might marry someone with an opinion of her own! In which case, that's relevant too!

I've considered mixing it up - having kids and adopting kids - but I don't know. There's a really nice, happy family in the area who's mixed between born and adopted (they're family friends) but there's also a crazy lady family I met (that's all I know her as, we were giving 7 minute speeches and instead she ranted for half an hour how her adopted children were inferior because they weren't breastfed) so it seems like mixed families can go both ways.
@Casandraelf: I honestly don't know! I'm 16 - and I've researched modern options extensively - so there's a lot of time before I'll have kids, and there's a good chance that technology and options will have changed in 10+ years. And of course, I might marry someone with an opinion of her own! In which case, that's relevant too!

I've considered mixing it up - having kids and adopting kids - but I don't know. There's a really nice, happy family in the area who's mixed between born and adopted (they're family friends) but there's also a crazy lady family I met (that's all I know her as, we were giving 7 minute speeches and instead she ranted for half an hour how her adopted children were inferior because they weren't breastfed) so it seems like mixed families can go both ways.
I possess little to no maternal instinct, and never plan on having kids- thankfully, my girlfriend is the same- and the one word that always slips into the conversation is 'adoption'.

(I think people tend to misunderstand- I am both not biologically able to have children with my partner/unwilling to carry and birth a child and simply do not want children.)

I really don't understand the stigma surrounding homosexual couples who look to adopt children- I mean, the child will obviously be better off in a stable home environment rather than an orphanage/a succession of foster homes..
I possess little to no maternal instinct, and never plan on having kids- thankfully, my girlfriend is the same- and the one word that always slips into the conversation is 'adoption'.

(I think people tend to misunderstand- I am both not biologically able to have children with my partner/unwilling to carry and birth a child and simply do not want children.)

I really don't understand the stigma surrounding homosexual couples who look to adopt children- I mean, the child will obviously be better off in a stable home environment rather than an orphanage/a succession of foster homes..
tumblr_inline_neg4f1HZyZ1rhxwp5.png
back to the discussion on labels, the point of the lgbtqia movement isn't to erase labels and encourage the "blending in" of sexuality and gender. the fact that so many people look down on using multiple labels to describe oneself as 'looking for attention' or being a 'special snowflake' (a term i hate, because it discourages individuality and deviance from social norms) more inhibits the progression of civil and social rights afforded to lgbtqia people than anything.

people find comfort in labels. they find community and identity, and -- even if they change their labels later on -- that should be respected, no matter how many they use. on the flip side, however, you should NEVER attribute labels to someone who does not explicitly ask that they be used. that includes the label "queer" -- queer has a history of hatred, oppression, and violence behind it, and just because someone is lgbtqia doesn't mean you should stick that label to them. it's still perceived as a slur by many people.

just ftr, i'm genderfluid and do use the label of queer to identify myself. i don't feel comfortable labeling my sexuality, though.

i also have a few negative things to say about rupaul but i'll hold my tongue.
back to the discussion on labels, the point of the lgbtqia movement isn't to erase labels and encourage the "blending in" of sexuality and gender. the fact that so many people look down on using multiple labels to describe oneself as 'looking for attention' or being a 'special snowflake' (a term i hate, because it discourages individuality and deviance from social norms) more inhibits the progression of civil and social rights afforded to lgbtqia people than anything.

people find comfort in labels. they find community and identity, and -- even if they change their labels later on -- that should be respected, no matter how many they use. on the flip side, however, you should NEVER attribute labels to someone who does not explicitly ask that they be used. that includes the label "queer" -- queer has a history of hatred, oppression, and violence behind it, and just because someone is lgbtqia doesn't mean you should stick that label to them. it's still perceived as a slur by many people.

just ftr, i'm genderfluid and do use the label of queer to identify myself. i don't feel comfortable labeling my sexuality, though.

i also have a few negative things to say about rupaul but i'll hold my tongue.
@Meulin This is a safe place. If you don't like RuPaul, that's okay. I would like to know why.
@Meulin This is a safe place. If you don't like RuPaul, that's okay. I would like to know why.
phke_zpsfbf77644.png
@ Lyre
"I do have one question, though. I'm absolutely guessing, but isn't the idea behind this movement to make sure gender/sexuality etc no longer matter? And to make people aware that everyone is completely different in these regards? So why all the labels?"

I have a few things to say here!

1) It's really difficult to pin down what "this movement" wants, since it's a giant pool of people of vastly different backgrounds, all with slightly (or drastically) different beliefs and definitions. So it's important to remember that everyone might have a different thought of what they're trying to achieve here.

2) I like to think of LGBTQA (and all other encompassing queer folk there) and the label discussion similarly to how we view racial identity. There was a long time where a lot of people strove for "colourblindness", for "I don't see race" as an ideal. Now I'd like to think a lot more people are coming around to the idea/ideal that people can be different but equal. Saying "we are all human and that's all that matters, why divide things any further?" can be erasing to people whose culture and race are an integral part of their identity; conversely, there's always some people who shrug and don't care where their parents were born and don't want you to identify them by it.

I prize my identity as a part of me, integral and earned through years of frustrated searching. I am proud of it. Additionally, having a term I can reference when people ask me why I want to be called by non-gendered pronouns is helpful; unfortunately, lots of people don't view "because I would like it if you would" as a good enough reason. I am fiercely proud to call myself genderqueer and I want others to call me it too, in the same way that someone might hold up their femininity or their race as a mark of pride.

Not to mention it makes finding other people like me easier. You can always define yourself the troll way*, but other people's attention might not last for it, and there's no guarantee the long explanation will be easier to understand than the short one.

= = =

*Homestuck joke, troll titles and nouns are often long and extremely detailed, defining every aspect of an object or concept, where human terms are boring, quick, and less easy to understand at first glance HERP DERP
@ Lyre
"I do have one question, though. I'm absolutely guessing, but isn't the idea behind this movement to make sure gender/sexuality etc no longer matter? And to make people aware that everyone is completely different in these regards? So why all the labels?"

I have a few things to say here!

1) It's really difficult to pin down what "this movement" wants, since it's a giant pool of people of vastly different backgrounds, all with slightly (or drastically) different beliefs and definitions. So it's important to remember that everyone might have a different thought of what they're trying to achieve here.

2) I like to think of LGBTQA (and all other encompassing queer folk there) and the label discussion similarly to how we view racial identity. There was a long time where a lot of people strove for "colourblindness", for "I don't see race" as an ideal. Now I'd like to think a lot more people are coming around to the idea/ideal that people can be different but equal. Saying "we are all human and that's all that matters, why divide things any further?" can be erasing to people whose culture and race are an integral part of their identity; conversely, there's always some people who shrug and don't care where their parents were born and don't want you to identify them by it.

I prize my identity as a part of me, integral and earned through years of frustrated searching. I am proud of it. Additionally, having a term I can reference when people ask me why I want to be called by non-gendered pronouns is helpful; unfortunately, lots of people don't view "because I would like it if you would" as a good enough reason. I am fiercely proud to call myself genderqueer and I want others to call me it too, in the same way that someone might hold up their femininity or their race as a mark of pride.

Not to mention it makes finding other people like me easier. You can always define yourself the troll way*, but other people's attention might not last for it, and there's no guarantee the long explanation will be easier to understand than the short one.

= = =

*Homestuck joke, troll titles and nouns are often long and extremely detailed, defining every aspect of an object or concept, where human terms are boring, quick, and less easy to understand at first glance HERP DERP
The lofty pine is oftenest shaken by the winds; High towers fall with a heavier crash; And the lightning strikes the highest mountain.
@ Meulin
"the fact that so many people look down on using multiple labels to describe oneself as 'looking for attention' or being a 'special snowflake' (a term i hate, because it discourages individuality and deviance from social norms) more inhibits the progression of civil and
social rights afforded to lgbtqia people than anything."

I completely agree about "special snowflake" as an insult. There's really nothing wrong with needing something as an individual that not everyone needs. Really it only makes sense, given every single person out there is an individual and all.
@ Meulin
"the fact that so many people look down on using multiple labels to describe oneself as 'looking for attention' or being a 'special snowflake' (a term i hate, because it discourages individuality and deviance from social norms) more inhibits the progression of civil and
social rights afforded to lgbtqia people than anything."

I completely agree about "special snowflake" as an insult. There's really nothing wrong with needing something as an individual that not everyone needs. Really it only makes sense, given every single person out there is an individual and all.
The lofty pine is oftenest shaken by the winds; High towers fall with a heavier crash; And the lightning strikes the highest mountain.
@Path I'm know I'm not the only straight asexual cisgender woman out there. Believing that's just plain silly.
@Path I'm know I'm not the only straight asexual cisgender woman out there. Believing that's just plain silly.
phke_zpsfbf77644.png
@Casandraelf
Obviously it is easier to find individuals with the same orientation or gender identity the more common that identity is, since the accepted label is more mainstream. The further off the white/cis/male/straight beaten path you get, the more you have to invent terms to qualify your experience, leading to "gray ace" and so on. (Not trying to imply those are less in any way.)
But for those of us who can't find representation or role models, it's easy to believe we are alone, freaks and weirdos, until we do find a term that matches our internal vision. Then sometimes we can find others like us, to reassure us that we're not alone. That's one of the reasons I value labels.

I realize I didn't touch on the harmful aspect of them, the reason many of us dislike even using the term "labelling". I don't think it's too much to say that most of us are okay with labelling ourselves and not okay with others labelling us. So basically as long as nobody's judgemental or presumptuous there's really nothing inherently wrong with labels. Just use what people ask for and don't use anything they don't ask for. Haha, how hard is that, world?
@Casandraelf
Obviously it is easier to find individuals with the same orientation or gender identity the more common that identity is, since the accepted label is more mainstream. The further off the white/cis/male/straight beaten path you get, the more you have to invent terms to qualify your experience, leading to "gray ace" and so on. (Not trying to imply those are less in any way.)
But for those of us who can't find representation or role models, it's easy to believe we are alone, freaks and weirdos, until we do find a term that matches our internal vision. Then sometimes we can find others like us, to reassure us that we're not alone. That's one of the reasons I value labels.

I realize I didn't touch on the harmful aspect of them, the reason many of us dislike even using the term "labelling". I don't think it's too much to say that most of us are okay with labelling ourselves and not okay with others labelling us. So basically as long as nobody's judgemental or presumptuous there's really nothing inherently wrong with labels. Just use what people ask for and don't use anything they don't ask for. Haha, how hard is that, world?
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17