Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Allow 2-Letter Names (Again)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@Sopheroo

In what sorts of circumstances do you do this, out of genuine interest? I'm building a different game and I'm vacillating on whether to include a creature name search (has tradeoffs in other areas.)
@Sopheroo

In what sorts of circumstances do you do this, out of genuine interest? I'm building a different game and I'm vacillating on whether to include a creature name search (has tradeoffs in other areas.)
2nld4k6.jpg
please ping me to get my attention!
@inkdeer

Two extremely niche reasons I doubt anyone else does on this site.

First because i'm lazy and didn't want to look at seven pages of dragons to see if I already gave a name!

So, what I do is enter "Nocturne", "Crystal", "Facet" and the name I want to give to my dragon, to check if a dragon with that name is already in my lair.

The other reason I use it is when I watch named dragons for sale - I use two devices to access flight rising, so bookmarking is not efficient.

I have dyscalculia, so remembering ID numbers is out of the question for me, but I am good at remembering names and some things about the dragon (colors, genes)

Allows me to track dragons I want to buy easier, across multiple devices

@inkdeer

Two extremely niche reasons I doubt anyone else does on this site.

First because i'm lazy and didn't want to look at seven pages of dragons to see if I already gave a name!

So, what I do is enter "Nocturne", "Crystal", "Facet" and the name I want to give to my dragon, to check if a dragon with that name is already in my lair.

The other reason I use it is when I watch named dragons for sale - I use two devices to access flight rising, so bookmarking is not efficient.

I have dyscalculia, so remembering ID numbers is out of the question for me, but I am good at remembering names and some things about the dragon (colors, genes)

Allows me to track dragons I want to buy easier, across multiple devices

I would love for two letter names to come back!
I would love for two letter names to come back!
tumblr_pa1v59xRPV1x8q01eo1_250.giftumblr_pa1v59xRPV1x8q01eo2_250.gif
@Sopheroo

Aye, I see! I think I have the second one covered by onsite bookmarking, at least. Thanks for the impromptu survey response :p
@Sopheroo

Aye, I see! I think I have the second one covered by onsite bookmarking, at least. Thanks for the impromptu survey response :p
2nld4k6.jpg
please ping me to get my attention!
I support two letter names, one letter names, and even spaces in dragon names. Io is a beautiful two letter name. And fan dragons could be named L (Death Note) or N (Pokemon) or even X (as in Professor X or Malcolm X or any number of other people real or fictional).
I support two letter names, one letter names, and even spaces in dragon names. Io is a beautiful two letter name. And fan dragons could be named L (Death Note) or N (Pokemon) or even X (as in Professor X or Malcolm X or any number of other people real or fictional).
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Support. Don't see why not. Can't have names like CJ or Ao because... reasons?
Support. Don't see why not. Can't have names like CJ or Ao because... reasons?
ywH3Spj.png
Support!

I really want a dragon named Ki now because it sounds so amazing ;-;
Support!

I really want a dragon named Ki now because it sounds so amazing ;-;
__ xiq! #359104
[ she/they ⋅ FR +3 ⋅ wishlist ]
Support. There are lots of nice two-letter names I can think of, and it'd be nice to be able to use them again. Can we also have one-letter names while we're at it? I might make an alphabet tab then :D
Quote:
If you're looking for a dragon called "Da", instead of giving you the results for "da", it's going to give you all dragons who have "da" in their name, even if it's Dalida, or DaDaDa
Well, three-letter ones should be pretty straining too, and search feature isn't used often by most so I think that it shouldn't become a great problem. Tbh, it slows even more if you pick something like "guardian male"...
@Sopheroo
Btw, isn't "search on the page" faster for looking for the names? In edit mode you'll be able to search through all the dragons in the tab no matter how many pages there are, so unless you have a lot of tabs it should work faster than the dragon search :D
Support. There are lots of nice two-letter names I can think of, and it'd be nice to be able to use them again. Can we also have one-letter names while we're at it? I might make an alphabet tab then :D
Quote:
If you're looking for a dragon called "Da", instead of giving you the results for "da", it's going to give you all dragons who have "da" in their name, even if it's Dalida, or DaDaDa
Well, three-letter ones should be pretty straining too, and search feature isn't used often by most so I think that it shouldn't become a great problem. Tbh, it slows even more if you pick something like "guardian male"...
@Sopheroo
Btw, isn't "search on the page" faster for looking for the names? In edit mode you'll be able to search through all the dragons in the tab no matter how many pages there are, so unless you have a lot of tabs it should work faster than the dragon search :D
I have no problem with this. I currently have a dragon named 'Li' in my lair, and he doesn't cause any issues.

I used to have an Io, too, which is a lovely name.
I have no problem with this. I currently have a dragon named 'Li' in my lair, and he doesn't cause any issues.

I used to have an Io, too, which is a lovely name.
Full support. It may have been a bug, but I still don't see a reason as to why this feature can't be re-implemented as an actual site feature. When addressing server strain for dragon search, I can confirm that three-letter names are terrible to search for as well, and even longer names (like my girl Aquarunia or my boy Mayonakahoshi) are just as bad. Even when few results pop up, it still takes a long time.

As for messing with people who bought dragons believing they were permanently rare dragons, just remember what staff have done before. For example, the eliminate issue. Used to be eliminates were cheap enough to pay for a rather inexpensive dragon with about eight of them. Imagine how ripped off people felt when they gave up 8-10 eliminates to buy a 500g dragon, only to watch prices soar when they suddenly became rare.

Perhaps a better example would be the bear festival familiars. Before the first NotN, people sold those bears for lots of money simply because the sprites never returned. Then, during NotN, they came back, and prices plummeted. Then, years later, suddenly these cheap bears were pulled from the festival, suddenly making them rare again. How ripped off did players feel for both changes? When the prices dropped, people were livid with themselves and staff for suddenly taking away profit (and perhaps making them waste festival currency on a familiar they thought would pay off their investment in it). Then, after believing this would be the norm and just getting rid of their duplicates, suddenly they're rare again and worth a lot. Now they threw away profit they thought they would never get because, last they were told, those bears would stay in the NotN festival.

In short, staff have done this sort of thing before, and it is true players wouldn't be too happy about the change for a while, but the outcries will fade with time, just like the new eyes. I see no reason, really, as to why this can't be added as a new feature to the site, or even add an extension to 1-letter names.
Full support. It may have been a bug, but I still don't see a reason as to why this feature can't be re-implemented as an actual site feature. When addressing server strain for dragon search, I can confirm that three-letter names are terrible to search for as well, and even longer names (like my girl Aquarunia or my boy Mayonakahoshi) are just as bad. Even when few results pop up, it still takes a long time.

As for messing with people who bought dragons believing they were permanently rare dragons, just remember what staff have done before. For example, the eliminate issue. Used to be eliminates were cheap enough to pay for a rather inexpensive dragon with about eight of them. Imagine how ripped off people felt when they gave up 8-10 eliminates to buy a 500g dragon, only to watch prices soar when they suddenly became rare.

Perhaps a better example would be the bear festival familiars. Before the first NotN, people sold those bears for lots of money simply because the sprites never returned. Then, during NotN, they came back, and prices plummeted. Then, years later, suddenly these cheap bears were pulled from the festival, suddenly making them rare again. How ripped off did players feel for both changes? When the prices dropped, people were livid with themselves and staff for suddenly taking away profit (and perhaps making them waste festival currency on a familiar they thought would pay off their investment in it). Then, after believing this would be the norm and just getting rid of their duplicates, suddenly they're rare again and worth a lot. Now they threw away profit they thought they would never get because, last they were told, those bears would stay in the NotN festival.

In short, staff have done this sort of thing before, and it is true players wouldn't be too happy about the change for a while, but the outcries will fade with time, just like the new eyes. I see no reason, really, as to why this can't be added as a new feature to the site, or even add an extension to 1-letter names.
sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa