Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of March
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
'Ello poppets.
I swear, every year goes quicker than the last, and yet I've already decided I want this one to be over, please.

I've had a slump in my writing lately due to rl stuff, but today I revisited my medieval fantasy novel and plotted it from scratch, or well, began to. At least the plot is making more sense now. I don't think it worked at all last time I tried, and this is the story that's the most important to me because it's been with me for over 20 years.

I still need to do that final edit on my horror story and then send it out to an actual editor or whatnot, and I'm procrastinating on that, but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

As for the lace gene, I'm not a big fan of it, but I do have a character in mind for an Imperial male I want to get, and a lace tert would suit that character, so I'll see if I can make it work or not. First step is finding the Imp of course, and I'm not sure the colour combo even exists yet heh.

I hope you've all been well <3
'Ello poppets.
I swear, every year goes quicker than the last, and yet I've already decided I want this one to be over, please.

I've had a slump in my writing lately due to rl stuff, but today I revisited my medieval fantasy novel and plotted it from scratch, or well, began to. At least the plot is making more sense now. I don't think it worked at all last time I tried, and this is the story that's the most important to me because it's been with me for over 20 years.

I still need to do that final edit on my horror story and then send it out to an actual editor or whatnot, and I'm procrastinating on that, but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

As for the lace gene, I'm not a big fan of it, but I do have a character in mind for an Imperial male I want to get, and a lace tert would suit that character, so I'll see if I can make it work or not. First step is finding the Imp of course, and I'm not sure the colour combo even exists yet heh.

I hope you've all been well <3
DmRdZYl.png
*adores all the lace*

I have no lace dragons of my own, but I want to fix that. I have a couple that I think would take to it really well.

Writing is still sidelined for me. I hung an art show this week at the county library; it's up through the month of March! And in June, I hang another show up in my home town! I need to get some more paintings ready for it, so that's what I'll be doing for the next few months. But I'm having a hard time working my painting in around my new job, and that's a problem. I need to figure that out soon.

@zzzhorses If you look in the second post, there's a link to a document where you may add (or remove!) yourself from the ping list. ^_^

@micahjaguar You're looking for new books *again*! How am I not surprised. ^_^ Have you read Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series? I just discovered it this week and I'm burning through them. (My library had them available as ebooks through the Overdrive app. Can't say no to free!) They're supernatural romances published through the Harlequin Teen line. I... never thought I'd read a Harlequin! But these are quite engrossing and I'm kind of loving the teen romance.

Also, I kind of blame your romance series for teaching me that I actually do like romance stories. >_> I am studying these, and wondering how to apply what I'm learning to my current story, which has a romance subplot.
*adores all the lace*

I have no lace dragons of my own, but I want to fix that. I have a couple that I think would take to it really well.

Writing is still sidelined for me. I hung an art show this week at the county library; it's up through the month of March! And in June, I hang another show up in my home town! I need to get some more paintings ready for it, so that's what I'll be doing for the next few months. But I'm having a hard time working my painting in around my new job, and that's a problem. I need to figure that out soon.

@zzzhorses If you look in the second post, there's a link to a document where you may add (or remove!) yourself from the ping list. ^_^

@micahjaguar You're looking for new books *again*! How am I not surprised. ^_^ Have you read Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series? I just discovered it this week and I'm burning through them. (My library had them available as ebooks through the Overdrive app. Can't say no to free!) They're supernatural romances published through the Harlequin Teen line. I... never thought I'd read a Harlequin! But these are quite engrossing and I'm kind of loving the teen romance.

Also, I kind of blame your romance series for teaching me that I actually do like romance stories. >_> I am studying these, and wondering how to apply what I'm learning to my current story, which has a romance subplot.
I'm an artist! I paint canvases and draw coloring pages! See my gallery: www.puffbird.net

Subscribe to my Patreon for monthly/weekly coloring pages, or just visit for the occasional freebies and monthly e-postcards!
No idea what I'm going to work on this month. Just trying to survive class and work right now.

Sorry.
No idea what I'm going to work on this month. Just trying to survive class and work right now.

Sorry.
axOkNaR.png
ZNhRsiG.png
Apparently getting over my writing slump is harder than I thought it would be. So frustrating. =/
I had legitimate reasons for not doing it, but now that I have time, it just doesn't seem to want to come out.

And the longer I stare at my plan (or what little of a plan I have), the more stupid it looks, which is totally not helping. One of the pitfalls of working on an older story, though I thought I already removed all the really stupid stuff years ago.

That and my last few drafts ended up not working, so I think I'm worried this latest one will do the same thing. I know I have to just get over that and write it anyway(can't know if it works unless I try), but just having a hard time with that right now.
Apparently getting over my writing slump is harder than I thought it would be. So frustrating. =/
I had legitimate reasons for not doing it, but now that I have time, it just doesn't seem to want to come out.

And the longer I stare at my plan (or what little of a plan I have), the more stupid it looks, which is totally not helping. One of the pitfalls of working on an older story, though I thought I already removed all the really stupid stuff years ago.

That and my last few drafts ended up not working, so I think I'm worried this latest one will do the same thing. I know I have to just get over that and write it anyway(can't know if it works unless I try), but just having a hard time with that right now.
ebpsI1h.png
Wow, guys, it's like DEAD in this thread today! *prods*

@clarax So did you actually do your schoolwork? :D

Also, your lace dragons are glorious....!

@SadariEvenstar Your lace dragons are GORRRGEOUS. And you're on vacation now? Or will be soon? I hope you're having fun! It's too bad your schedule's so busy or we could have done coffee! :)

@MissFortune17 Welcome to the thread! Did you name your shadow rep finally? He's gorgeous! :)

@VivaFariy I have not read Rothfuss, though I've heard the hype. Everyone was all excited about the unreliable narrator, but I'm not hugely interested in characters described the way the narrator was, so I gave it a pass. Did you find the narrator obnoxious?

@Mort Ahhhhh that lace girl is gorgeous

@BlackWinter Ooof, block. I see lots of people have given you good answers already. I'll toss in my two cents: there are a couple of types of block in my experience. One is "I don't know what to do next." And the other is "I know what I should do next, but don't wanna." (And maybe a third: "I don't feel good enough, so I don't think I should spend any time on my ideas.")

Block #1 ("no ideas") is a call to rest, read and consume your favorite media, and go out and look around at life for a while. Pushing it doesn't usually result in anything. Your tank is empty; you gotta fill it.

Block #2 ("I know what I could do, but don't wanna") is complicated by what you want out of writing. If you're going at it professionally, the answer to that is just to slog through it even if you hate it. If you're not trying for professional work, then it's a good time to faff around until you do find something you're in love with, and want to work on.

Block #3 can only be solved by writing anyway. Confidence comes from practice. The voices in your head that want you to shut up are like the mean girls in high school. Since you can't avoid them, you gotta work it like you don't care what they're saying. >.>

Anyway, hope that helps. Tell us if you succeed in breaking your block! :)

@paintminion A writer's thing with wine! That sounds too fun >.>

@xxsnowyxxx Oooh, thanks for the recs! I'll go check them out.

@MawkishMuse I don't shop for art for my dragons but I know a lot of people who do! Here's hoping your shop brings you tons of money for your geneing projects because the ones you've shown us are glorious. >.>

@VioletWhirlwind Yeah, it was my turn to start the thread and I was sick so I didn't get it up on the first day. But we're here now!

@lamarqueisdead You are so wrestling with this comic idea! I hope it comes together for you? You will be victorious!

@MeraHunt Your new clan leader is AWESOME.

@Rexcaliburr That sounds like a fun plot! How far along are you?

@TsuneEmbers I love writing cut scenes! You should totally save those, one day your fans are gonna want to read them. :D

@Amut YOU PASSED YOUR COMPS! That's amazing! Congratulations! I bet you are so relieved. That's a super stressful time.

@LilacsandFreedom You're going home to Wind?? Are you going to make it in time for the festival?? Do you need help? :D
Wow, guys, it's like DEAD in this thread today! *prods*

@clarax So did you actually do your schoolwork? :D

Also, your lace dragons are glorious....!

@SadariEvenstar Your lace dragons are GORRRGEOUS. And you're on vacation now? Or will be soon? I hope you're having fun! It's too bad your schedule's so busy or we could have done coffee! :)

@MissFortune17 Welcome to the thread! Did you name your shadow rep finally? He's gorgeous! :)

@VivaFariy I have not read Rothfuss, though I've heard the hype. Everyone was all excited about the unreliable narrator, but I'm not hugely interested in characters described the way the narrator was, so I gave it a pass. Did you find the narrator obnoxious?

@Mort Ahhhhh that lace girl is gorgeous

@BlackWinter Ooof, block. I see lots of people have given you good answers already. I'll toss in my two cents: there are a couple of types of block in my experience. One is "I don't know what to do next." And the other is "I know what I should do next, but don't wanna." (And maybe a third: "I don't feel good enough, so I don't think I should spend any time on my ideas.")

Block #1 ("no ideas") is a call to rest, read and consume your favorite media, and go out and look around at life for a while. Pushing it doesn't usually result in anything. Your tank is empty; you gotta fill it.

Block #2 ("I know what I could do, but don't wanna") is complicated by what you want out of writing. If you're going at it professionally, the answer to that is just to slog through it even if you hate it. If you're not trying for professional work, then it's a good time to faff around until you do find something you're in love with, and want to work on.

Block #3 can only be solved by writing anyway. Confidence comes from practice. The voices in your head that want you to shut up are like the mean girls in high school. Since you can't avoid them, you gotta work it like you don't care what they're saying. >.>

Anyway, hope that helps. Tell us if you succeed in breaking your block! :)

@paintminion A writer's thing with wine! That sounds too fun >.>

@xxsnowyxxx Oooh, thanks for the recs! I'll go check them out.

@MawkishMuse I don't shop for art for my dragons but I know a lot of people who do! Here's hoping your shop brings you tons of money for your geneing projects because the ones you've shown us are glorious. >.>

@VioletWhirlwind Yeah, it was my turn to start the thread and I was sick so I didn't get it up on the first day. But we're here now!

@lamarqueisdead You are so wrestling with this comic idea! I hope it comes together for you? You will be victorious!

@MeraHunt Your new clan leader is AWESOME.

@Rexcaliburr That sounds like a fun plot! How far along are you?

@TsuneEmbers I love writing cut scenes! You should totally save those, one day your fans are gonna want to read them. :D

@Amut YOU PASSED YOUR COMPS! That's amazing! Congratulations! I bet you are so relieved. That's a super stressful time.

@LilacsandFreedom You're going home to Wind?? Are you going to make it in time for the festival?? Do you need help? :D
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
@Icystorm That skydancer boy is GORGEOUS. *admires his accent*

@Kerynean Wow, horse culture story sounds AWESOME. How far along are you?

@Gem4567 Welcome to the thread! You will find many wonderful worldbuilders here, though @Amut is definitely one of our kings of it. :)

@BlackWinter You need more skydancers... mooooore skydancers...

@BombSwan Yay, you are on the move! @LadyRowyn taught me the utility of outlines, so I'm trying them myself too. So far so good!

@Karika Nooooo procrastinating is bad! Send your story out! It needs to see the world!

@puffbird Few are the people who hate romance. What they actually hate is people acting stupidly, or explicit bedroom scenes. :D You TOTALLY want to write a romance!

@NightwindDragon Hang in there! You will get through whatever you're slogging through! *hug*

Okay, I think that's everyone. *waves pompoms* We're all doing great in our own way! Show off some dragons, maybe that'll help. :)

I'm gonna have a lair purge soon, I think. (I almost feel like saying that is a way to summon @benalene). But the Wind festival is coming and I have high hopes! I usually like the accents and apparel they come up with for Wind. (I miss you, Windies! But traveling is so fun.)

I am writing, though not the project I was supposed to be working on. Whoops. Funny how that happens. >.> Also, I'm watching reviews come in for my books and I lolled at this one: Although I am a guy that prefers action Sci-fi, this quietly personal story was heartwarming and pleasant.

I am imagining this enormous weightlifting dude with a crewcut, sitting in an armchair looking contemplative and thinking, 'normally, I like dude stuff. But I think this is girl stuff, and I like it. What does this mean?'

(It is an affectionate picture. I have been puzzled by my own tastes sometimes too.)

*giggle*
@Icystorm That skydancer boy is GORGEOUS. *admires his accent*

@Kerynean Wow, horse culture story sounds AWESOME. How far along are you?

@Gem4567 Welcome to the thread! You will find many wonderful worldbuilders here, though @Amut is definitely one of our kings of it. :)

@BlackWinter You need more skydancers... mooooore skydancers...

@BombSwan Yay, you are on the move! @LadyRowyn taught me the utility of outlines, so I'm trying them myself too. So far so good!

@Karika Nooooo procrastinating is bad! Send your story out! It needs to see the world!

@puffbird Few are the people who hate romance. What they actually hate is people acting stupidly, or explicit bedroom scenes. :D You TOTALLY want to write a romance!

@NightwindDragon Hang in there! You will get through whatever you're slogging through! *hug*

Okay, I think that's everyone. *waves pompoms* We're all doing great in our own way! Show off some dragons, maybe that'll help. :)

I'm gonna have a lair purge soon, I think. (I almost feel like saying that is a way to summon @benalene). But the Wind festival is coming and I have high hopes! I usually like the accents and apparel they come up with for Wind. (I miss you, Windies! But traveling is so fun.)

I am writing, though not the project I was supposed to be working on. Whoops. Funny how that happens. >.> Also, I'm watching reviews come in for my books and I lolled at this one: Although I am a guy that prefers action Sci-fi, this quietly personal story was heartwarming and pleasant.

I am imagining this enormous weightlifting dude with a crewcut, sitting in an armchair looking contemplative and thinking, 'normally, I like dude stuff. But I think this is girl stuff, and I like it. What does this mean?'

(It is an affectionate picture. I have been puzzled by my own tastes sometimes too.)

*giggle*
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
@micahjaguar

Feeling lonely? No problem, we got your back!

Our event here, Wine Women & Words, it was so great meeting so many local authors! Some friends came by so I was able to switch and have a little time to peruse. Some folks I got to meet during set up as well :-)

It was too short, but our goal of raising some money for Girls on the Run worked - and two girls were sponsored by the funds raised that night.

I got some new folks involved in NaNoWriMo, and my friend sold 9 books in the two hours! Almost paid for her book order completely :-)

Here's the FB page and if you scroll down a bit you can find the cute interviews they did with many of the authors! Although they only posted a few there. https://www.facebook.com/Avallons-Voice-1312020618823429/

I am busy getting ready for Camp Nano in April, my niece's wedding next week, Mistral Jam, Mistral Jam Poetry Contest, family trip to Vegas to celebrate daughter's 21st, dealing with the anniversary of my father's passing, missing my cat, too. And just got a cold.

And STILL writing!

Working on edits still of book 2, on the third chapter for our group's weekly chat and write nite.

@micahjaguar

Feeling lonely? No problem, we got your back!

Our event here, Wine Women & Words, it was so great meeting so many local authors! Some friends came by so I was able to switch and have a little time to peruse. Some folks I got to meet during set up as well :-)

It was too short, but our goal of raising some money for Girls on the Run worked - and two girls were sponsored by the funds raised that night.

I got some new folks involved in NaNoWriMo, and my friend sold 9 books in the two hours! Almost paid for her book order completely :-)

Here's the FB page and if you scroll down a bit you can find the cute interviews they did with many of the authors! Although they only posted a few there. https://www.facebook.com/Avallons-Voice-1312020618823429/

I am busy getting ready for Camp Nano in April, my niece's wedding next week, Mistral Jam, Mistral Jam Poetry Contest, family trip to Vegas to celebrate daughter's 21st, dealing with the anniversary of my father's passing, missing my cat, too. And just got a cold.

And STILL writing!

Working on edits still of book 2, on the third chapter for our group's weekly chat and write nite.

An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
@micahjaguar *puts "Who Is Willing" on the recommended reading list for the Nebulas, because she loves that novella and that is a thing she can do*

I enjoyed the new Penric & Desdemona novella, too, by Lois McMaster Bujold, but you knew that and I love Bujold way more than you do. :)

I have tried some new books via Bookbub, but not been enthusiastic enough to finish anything. I forget how to find books I like any more, other than by reading the same authors I've been reading for the last 10+ years. Bard finished a new book I like, but Bard isn't publishing its books any more. :/

Also, guys totally need contemplative stories! That is important guy stuff material. n_n

@SadariEvenstar Oh Winterstar looks very pretty in lace! I like the new tert, but I only gave it to three dragons because most of my dragons already have terts I like. :D

@MissFortune17 Welcome to the thread! We like all writers here. I expect most of the professionals donkt feel all that professional either. (I know I don't.) And that's a very handsome lace dragon!

@BlackWinter Things that have worked for me:

Creativity Rules!, which is a book of writing exercises. I never worked through the whole book: I'd just do every exercise as I came to it for a while. The exercises were generally designed to be informative about how to write and how to think about writing, rather than the online-prompt format of "write about {FOO}", so might be more what you're looking for.

Using Tarot cards to generate plots: I'd draw three cards, look up their meanings, and then think about what kind of story that told. I could generally make a decent random short-story plot out of that.

Write three sentences: this is the "just write" kind of advice, so probably not helpful to you, alas. But I just open my WIP and add (at least) three sentences to it. When I do this several times throughout the day, it adds up.

Write my characters backtalking me: If I can't figure out what they're supposed to do, I write them talking semi-OOCishly about the story so far or how bad this section is or whatever. Just something to get me started writing about the characters, even though it's totally useless as fiction.

@paintminion Oh man, I so feel you about editing. UGH. It is the worst. I have 22 items left on my edits for book 1 of the two that I started editing back in December. I hope to finish the list this month, but argh. Then I have to edit book 2, which is at least shorter, but in even worse shape. Editing why u so hard.

Glad to hear the Wine, Women & Words event was fun! And grats to your friend, that's a lot of books to sell in person!

@MawkishMuse welcome back! I am afraid I never shop for dragonart myself o_o;;; But I wish you all success with your art shop! I kinda feel like I should buy art here, if only because so much of it is priced so cheaply, but I never get around to it.

Grats on your new dragons, too! Exalting is good money once you've got a good trainer or pair. :)

@MeraHunt Ooh, your new fae boy leader is spectacular dressed up like that. Sweet!

@clarax Giraffe pairs very nicely with lace on your skydancer boy! I'd go with it. :)

@Amut Eep, poor Koyomi! I'm glad he made it home safe. *pats him*

And congrats on passing your comps! *throws confetti*

@LilacsandFreedom *shakes fist at profanity blocker* you mess with PKD's name and you've gone too far, filter!

... Not that I've ever been able to get into PKD, mind you. They always make his stuff less bizarre and surreal when they turn it into films.

Good to hear from you! How's the writing stuff going?

@icystorm Ooh, your peryton-dragon is both elegant and on-theme!

@Kerynean Yup, I'm bisexual. :) My published books are all LGBT+, although I'm working on one now that's just straight characters. (So *weird*.)

@Gem4567 Welcome to the thread!

@Bombswan Eeee, a complete outline! Congrats! I find a good outline makes writing go much faster, myself. I can just look at it to see what comes next, instead of getting bogged down.

@Karika 'ello stranger! Good to hear from you. Finish those edits! We can't congratulate you on your newly published book until you get it out there! }:)

@puffbird reading is a good way to learn how to write! ... at least if you pay attention and don't just chew through them like I usually do. c_c Congrats on your art show! I hope some pieces sell over the month!

@NightwindDragon Happens to us all. *hugs*

@TsuneEmbers Maybe time to brainstorm a new idea, if you've come to dislike the old one?

So I forgot to post to the thread at all this month. Whoops. *^_^* Apologies to everyone I did not respond to this time 'round!

I am digging away with determination if not a great deal of enthusiasm. In theory, I am editing Warlock still. Some day I will be done editing it. Some day in March, hopefully. Guh. I can't edit very well when I'm not at my computer, so mostly I am writing shiny new story idea, though. (I do so much writing on my phone). Shiny new story idea is Demon Hunter, and is actually newly-outlined in enormous detail from a story idea from like 6+ years ago. I forget. It's been a while. I revamped my protagonist and like her much better now. She is stubborn but chipper.

I have not written dragon bios in ages. It may be time to purge the bio-less. *side-eyes them*
@micahjaguar *puts "Who Is Willing" on the recommended reading list for the Nebulas, because she loves that novella and that is a thing she can do*

I enjoyed the new Penric & Desdemona novella, too, by Lois McMaster Bujold, but you knew that and I love Bujold way more than you do. :)

I have tried some new books via Bookbub, but not been enthusiastic enough to finish anything. I forget how to find books I like any more, other than by reading the same authors I've been reading for the last 10+ years. Bard finished a new book I like, but Bard isn't publishing its books any more. :/

Also, guys totally need contemplative stories! That is important guy stuff material. n_n

@SadariEvenstar Oh Winterstar looks very pretty in lace! I like the new tert, but I only gave it to three dragons because most of my dragons already have terts I like. :D

@MissFortune17 Welcome to the thread! We like all writers here. I expect most of the professionals donkt feel all that professional either. (I know I don't.) And that's a very handsome lace dragon!

@BlackWinter Things that have worked for me:

Creativity Rules!, which is a book of writing exercises. I never worked through the whole book: I'd just do every exercise as I came to it for a while. The exercises were generally designed to be informative about how to write and how to think about writing, rather than the online-prompt format of "write about {FOO}", so might be more what you're looking for.

Using Tarot cards to generate plots: I'd draw three cards, look up their meanings, and then think about what kind of story that told. I could generally make a decent random short-story plot out of that.

Write three sentences: this is the "just write" kind of advice, so probably not helpful to you, alas. But I just open my WIP and add (at least) three sentences to it. When I do this several times throughout the day, it adds up.

Write my characters backtalking me: If I can't figure out what they're supposed to do, I write them talking semi-OOCishly about the story so far or how bad this section is or whatever. Just something to get me started writing about the characters, even though it's totally useless as fiction.

@paintminion Oh man, I so feel you about editing. UGH. It is the worst. I have 22 items left on my edits for book 1 of the two that I started editing back in December. I hope to finish the list this month, but argh. Then I have to edit book 2, which is at least shorter, but in even worse shape. Editing why u so hard.

Glad to hear the Wine, Women & Words event was fun! And grats to your friend, that's a lot of books to sell in person!

@MawkishMuse welcome back! I am afraid I never shop for dragonart myself o_o;;; But I wish you all success with your art shop! I kinda feel like I should buy art here, if only because so much of it is priced so cheaply, but I never get around to it.

Grats on your new dragons, too! Exalting is good money once you've got a good trainer or pair. :)

@MeraHunt Ooh, your new fae boy leader is spectacular dressed up like that. Sweet!

@clarax Giraffe pairs very nicely with lace on your skydancer boy! I'd go with it. :)

@Amut Eep, poor Koyomi! I'm glad he made it home safe. *pats him*

And congrats on passing your comps! *throws confetti*

@LilacsandFreedom *shakes fist at profanity blocker* you mess with PKD's name and you've gone too far, filter!

... Not that I've ever been able to get into PKD, mind you. They always make his stuff less bizarre and surreal when they turn it into films.

Good to hear from you! How's the writing stuff going?

@icystorm Ooh, your peryton-dragon is both elegant and on-theme!

@Kerynean Yup, I'm bisexual. :) My published books are all LGBT+, although I'm working on one now that's just straight characters. (So *weird*.)

@Gem4567 Welcome to the thread!

@Bombswan Eeee, a complete outline! Congrats! I find a good outline makes writing go much faster, myself. I can just look at it to see what comes next, instead of getting bogged down.

@Karika 'ello stranger! Good to hear from you. Finish those edits! We can't congratulate you on your newly published book until you get it out there! }:)

@puffbird reading is a good way to learn how to write! ... at least if you pay attention and don't just chew through them like I usually do. c_c Congrats on your art show! I hope some pieces sell over the month!

@NightwindDragon Happens to us all. *hugs*

@TsuneEmbers Maybe time to brainstorm a new idea, if you've come to dislike the old one?

So I forgot to post to the thread at all this month. Whoops. *^_^* Apologies to everyone I did not respond to this time 'round!

I am digging away with determination if not a great deal of enthusiasm. In theory, I am editing Warlock still. Some day I will be done editing it. Some day in March, hopefully. Guh. I can't edit very well when I'm not at my computer, so mostly I am writing shiny new story idea, though. (I do so much writing on my phone). Shiny new story idea is Demon Hunter, and is actually newly-outlined in enormous detail from a story idea from like 6+ years ago. I forget. It's been a while. I revamped my protagonist and like her much better now. She is stubborn but chipper.

I have not written dragon bios in ages. It may be time to purge the bio-less. *side-eyes them*
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@BlackWinter I'm not entirely sure how to handle a total writer's block, except to actually write. But don't really force yourself to write on something you're having trouble with. Work on smaller things just so you get into actually writing anything.

I hear you completely about formulating plot lines. That's really my biggest problem. I come up with characters easily, I love making settings, but when it comes to moving a character through that setting? My abilities seem to go "And then Tom went to the store, and nothing happened because Tom doesn't run red lights and uses turn signals." Because Tom is a conscientious character who does all that stuff but dangit the plan is to get him kidnapped at the end of Act 1. How do I get him kidnapped if he's totally the kind of person who'll look at a situation and go "Nope, 'cause that's how you get kidnapped."? My characters block their own story *headdesk*.

But for the most part, I work through that by writing side-story snippets where I'm stuck, similar to what LadyRowyn said about going OOC.

One scene that gave me trouble a few weeks ago was trying to get one major character (Trey) picked up as a hitchhiker by two others (Cy and Misery). In the actual work, it was easy enough to do, Cy and Misery literally circle the block and pick Trey up. But then I got stuck on how to do any in-car interaction to establish this as actually being an important event and explaining the attitudes when they got to the second site. So, originally, I skipped it and moved them to the next part. But it left everyone pretty flat when they got there and Cy was inexplicably (to the reader) herself. So I decided to go back and figure out more about the pick-up scene.

Cy is exactly a character from the previous Tom mold. She's entirely too genre savvy, knows they're in the middle of a bit of work and the best way to describe her would be by using a word that's censored here (not that one, though). But, I could use Misery as a foil to that. In a nutshell, he's an alien, and pretty much likes Cy for the sound of her voice and because she's making his visit to Earth very interesting by vexing everyone in local government. However, his religious beliefs emphasize novelty and experiences, and boom, there was the reason they picked up Trey (and had to round a block to do it).

The side-story ended up being: The One Where Cy and Misery Have a Car Argument about Serial Killer Hitchhikers.

It was ridiculous and stupid, but it was fun and because I didn't have to worry about making the scene fit into the narrative, it took all the pressure off and I got to just enjoy the characters and the setting. And at the same time, helped me build a bit more of the setting after the fact.

TL;DR version: Don't worry so much about the story right now, because at this moment it sounds like it's feeling like work and you don't want to end up hating your story because it's becoming work. Write something with the characters and setting that isn't really related to the plot, just so you can get their voices back without feeling obligated to do anything more. Pleasure writing is just as important as pleasure reading.

@micahjaguar @LadyRowyn

Thank you! Now I'm getting the fun of convincing the school that they've been overpaid twice and that I in fact do not owe them an extra 1.5k so I can get my transcripts.

And I'm happy Koyomi's back too. I managed to also grab him a pretty pair of mates and now he's planted himself in-charge of my progen offspring project. I'm gonna have to learn how to make my own banners or some artist is going to make a total killing off of me...lol.
@BlackWinter I'm not entirely sure how to handle a total writer's block, except to actually write. But don't really force yourself to write on something you're having trouble with. Work on smaller things just so you get into actually writing anything.

I hear you completely about formulating plot lines. That's really my biggest problem. I come up with characters easily, I love making settings, but when it comes to moving a character through that setting? My abilities seem to go "And then Tom went to the store, and nothing happened because Tom doesn't run red lights and uses turn signals." Because Tom is a conscientious character who does all that stuff but dangit the plan is to get him kidnapped at the end of Act 1. How do I get him kidnapped if he's totally the kind of person who'll look at a situation and go "Nope, 'cause that's how you get kidnapped."? My characters block their own story *headdesk*.

But for the most part, I work through that by writing side-story snippets where I'm stuck, similar to what LadyRowyn said about going OOC.

One scene that gave me trouble a few weeks ago was trying to get one major character (Trey) picked up as a hitchhiker by two others (Cy and Misery). In the actual work, it was easy enough to do, Cy and Misery literally circle the block and pick Trey up. But then I got stuck on how to do any in-car interaction to establish this as actually being an important event and explaining the attitudes when they got to the second site. So, originally, I skipped it and moved them to the next part. But it left everyone pretty flat when they got there and Cy was inexplicably (to the reader) herself. So I decided to go back and figure out more about the pick-up scene.

Cy is exactly a character from the previous Tom mold. She's entirely too genre savvy, knows they're in the middle of a bit of work and the best way to describe her would be by using a word that's censored here (not that one, though). But, I could use Misery as a foil to that. In a nutshell, he's an alien, and pretty much likes Cy for the sound of her voice and because she's making his visit to Earth very interesting by vexing everyone in local government. However, his religious beliefs emphasize novelty and experiences, and boom, there was the reason they picked up Trey (and had to round a block to do it).

The side-story ended up being: The One Where Cy and Misery Have a Car Argument about Serial Killer Hitchhikers.

It was ridiculous and stupid, but it was fun and because I didn't have to worry about making the scene fit into the narrative, it took all the pressure off and I got to just enjoy the characters and the setting. And at the same time, helped me build a bit more of the setting after the fact.

TL;DR version: Don't worry so much about the story right now, because at this moment it sounds like it's feeling like work and you don't want to end up hating your story because it's becoming work. Write something with the characters and setting that isn't really related to the plot, just so you can get their voices back without feeling obligated to do anything more. Pleasure writing is just as important as pleasure reading.

@micahjaguar @LadyRowyn

Thank you! Now I'm getting the fun of convincing the school that they've been overpaid twice and that I in fact do not owe them an extra 1.5k so I can get my transcripts.

And I'm happy Koyomi's back too. I managed to also grab him a pretty pair of mates and now he's planted himself in-charge of my progen offspring project. I'm gonna have to learn how to make my own banners or some artist is going to make a total killing off of me...lol.
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
I heard someone say "lair purge" >.>

@SadariEvenstar
Sultry is so pretty! I love lace on her. I haven't figured out who I want to put lace on yet.

@micahjaguar
Lol at that review. That is awesome :)

Well, I've been missing, but I feel like I have a legitimate reason this time :P. We are in the middle of moving to a different apartment so my husband can be closer to work. Movers come next week! Moving is such a hassle, though. Part of me loves not being tied to one place, but another part of me envies the people that don't have to pack, hire movers, change addresses for a million and one things, unpack, etc...
I heard someone say "lair purge" >.>

@SadariEvenstar
Sultry is so pretty! I love lace on her. I haven't figured out who I want to put lace on yet.

@micahjaguar
Lol at that review. That is awesome :)

Well, I've been missing, but I feel like I have a legitimate reason this time :P. We are in the middle of moving to a different apartment so my husband can be closer to work. Movers come next week! Moving is such a hassle, though. Part of me loves not being tied to one place, but another part of me envies the people that don't have to pack, hire movers, change addresses for a million and one things, unpack, etc...
ACCENT SHOP 9Y3Cg0F.gif Be excellent to each other.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16