Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Coliseum Grinding/Exalting Guide
1 2 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 120 121
@Kiena: Just switched to Kelp Beds after Tincturing my physicals into the right stats, thanks so much for the guide! Really helpful, should make levelling exalt fodder much quicker than my previous Mire running. Although I will admit that I died the first attempt I made. Stupid Golden Porpoise dodged literally EVERYTHING I threw at it...
@Kiena: Just switched to Kelp Beds after Tincturing my physicals into the right stats, thanks so much for the guide! Really helpful, should make levelling exalt fodder much quicker than my previous Mire running. Although I will admit that I died the first attempt I made. Stupid Golden Porpoise dodged literally EVERYTHING I threw at it...
tumblr_inline_nbefjbkpeK1qg78ij.png 1506664200.png rounded_corners2.png
@KathiraNarae - So glad to hear the guide helped! :D And yeah, the stupid dolphins are so frustrating in the Kelp Beds - though the Cloud Chaser is sadly worse, imo.
@KathiraNarae - So glad to hear the guide helped! :D And yeah, the stupid dolphins are so frustrating in the Kelp Beds - though the Cloud Chaser is sadly worse, imo.
Holy cow, I actually updated! The guide is now updated for the new info since *cough* last August *cough*. Yes, I am sheepish. At least it's been less than a year? :P

As always, ping me if there are any errors or you have any questions. And huge thanks to @Sylvandyr, as always, for helping out constantly, including answering questions for me!
Holy cow, I actually updated! The guide is now updated for the new info since *cough* last August *cough*. Yes, I am sheepish. At least it's been less than a year? :P

As always, ping me if there are any errors or you have any questions. And huge thanks to @Sylvandyr, as always, for helping out constantly, including answering questions for me!
@Kiena [quote]For more detailed drop and money-making info, there's a [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1216309]great guide by Throatspiders[/url] that lays out how much money they got by farming for an hour per area. You can use it to pick the best location for treasure or for a specific food type. Surprisingly (to me), Harpy's Roost was the best area for treasure! [/quote] That guide hasn't been updated since October 2014, there is a better guide here: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1769204 See also [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1769204/2#18220664]this table[/url], based on my battle timing.
@Kiena
Quote:
For more detailed drop and money-making info, there's a great guide by Throatspiders that lays out how much money they got by farming for an hour per area. You can use it to pick the best location for treasure or for a specific food type. Surprisingly (to me), Harpy's Roost was the best area for treasure!

That guide hasn't been updated since October 2014, there is a better guide here: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1769204

See also this table, based on my battle timing.
@Maki - Thanks so much! I was hoping there'd be an updated guide somewhere, but I hadn't gone hunting for it yet. :)
@Maki - Thanks so much! I was hoping there'd be an updated guide somewhere, but I hadn't gone hunting for it yet. :)
@ccmom

Self pinging for future use.
@ccmom

Self pinging for future use.
Wowie thanks a bilion!
Wowie thanks a bilion!
I now recommend tweaks to the stat balance of this build. Please check [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/937136/103#21655514]this post[/url] for the updated reasoning. The new recommended stats are: [b]108 STR, 75 QCK, 38 VIT, 15 DEF[/b]. [s]@Kiena - I've been using a solo trainer build in Harpy's Roost and so far I really like it! I got the concept idea from @mindcrank when she mentioned her experimental Ghostlight Ruins build. Basically, knowing that buffs heal the target by the caster's INT was kinda cool, but not very useful for stuff like the Mire because you didn't have enough points. But if you want to use a solo trainer build in a lower level venue, you have more points to work with - and the diminishing return penalty actually comes into play, so that you can benefit from extra INT instead of stacking straight VIT! You would be casting buffs because you need to (not just to get healed), so it's a win-win situation. I'm using the build on my [b]Wind[/b] dragon, which I think is the most appropriate element for the Roost, considering the caster population and the boss types. You resist one boss's elemental slash, while having a super effective slash against the other. The cool thing about this build is that [b]you can comfortably kill bosses without extremely good luck if you start in good condition[/b]. The constant healing and high base health helps you stay in good condition. Here is the build. [img]http://i.imgur.com/oZQTWpN.png[/img] [b]108 STR[/b] is for Rally OHKOing anything but bosses. [b]76 QCK[/b] gets you the 4th turn against a Fallen Streak (and slower than 48 QCK opponents) before their second turn. It also lets you go before the 2nd Snow Streak or Blue Tang Hippogriff in a group after a first turn Haste. [b]30 VIT[/b] makes your dragon beefy and able to start up against even some of the weak all-physical packs, like the ones with the Nature Cloud Dancers, or the 4-pack of Seekers. It also gives you time to burn your Breath against bosses. [b]25 INT[/b] is the leftover from what you don't have in VIT. I picked 30 VIT because that's the max before an additional point of diminishing return (diminishes happen every 10 of each stat). So far it's working well, but I may rebalance the stats a tiny bit later if I find it beneficial. This INT gives you a heal every time you use Haste or Rally. For every 7 - 8 times you buff yourself, you can tank another full Scratch attack. That's actually a pretty significant amount of healing, considering how easy it is to keep going with the high VIT level. I picked Gust Slash in order to fight the Arcane boss. The Wind boss can also be fought with your Wind dragon because you resist its Gust Slash and end up taking less damage while you try to build back Breath for Eliminate. You can fight the Wind boss if you've got close to full hp and at least 70 Breath. You can fight the Arcane boss if you've got 75%+ hp and have at least 80 Breath. Because you're already on the edge of being able to kill the boss without major luck, [u]having a high high health fodder makes fighting the bosses a lot easier[/u] - so if you like training level 25s on the side, this is good news for you. If you don't have the right element of dragon, or don't want to fuss with battling the bosses, Sap is a good choice over Gust Slash. There are ample instances where you can use it without wasting a turn, and the Storm Seekers have such low DEF that you get free health from them. Anyway, using this build, training fodder is actually easier [u]and faster[/u] for me than trying to use 2 trainers with high STR. Also, I'm able to be in good condition to fight bosses more often. I really like this build. [EDIT]: Here are links to some speed tests. [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lL9hGe7o-WiDFM-WXKv8NkJsTctc_M1mZ4c__SJJ1aE/edit?usp=sharing]Using this Harpy's Roost build[/url] [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kCT4OqCftznFTsZELdYKl8RY8hzznRF65eQAYMTq_H0/edit?usp=sharing]Kelp Beds for comparison[/url] [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aKEeRltCfVv0DicdyfMUuF91j4XJz3MZd47cJl-P_y8/edit?usp=sharing]Mire solo build for comparison (fastest)[/url][/s]
I now recommend tweaks to the stat balance of this build. Please check this post for the updated reasoning. The new recommended stats are: 108 STR, 75 QCK, 38 VIT, 15 DEF.

@Kiena - I've been using a solo trainer build in Harpy's Roost and so far I really like it! I got the concept idea from @mindcrank when she mentioned her experimental Ghostlight Ruins build. Basically, knowing that buffs heal the target by the caster's INT was kinda cool, but not very useful for stuff like the Mire because you didn't have enough points. But if you want to use a solo trainer build in a lower level venue, you have more points to work with - and the diminishing return penalty actually comes into play, so that you can benefit from extra INT instead of stacking straight VIT! You would be casting buffs because you need to (not just to get healed), so it's a win-win situation.

I'm using the build on my Wind dragon, which I think is the most appropriate element for the Roost, considering the caster population and the boss types. You resist one boss's elemental slash, while having a super effective slash against the other.

The cool thing about this build is that you can comfortably kill bosses without extremely good luck if you start in good condition. The constant healing and high base health helps you stay in good condition.

Here is the build.

oZQTWpN.png

108 STR is for Rally OHKOing anything but bosses.

76 QCK gets you the 4th turn against a Fallen Streak (and slower than 48 QCK opponents) before their second turn. It also lets you go before the 2nd Snow Streak or Blue Tang Hippogriff in a group after a first turn Haste.

30 VIT makes your dragon beefy and able to start up against even some of the weak all-physical packs, like the ones with the Nature Cloud Dancers, or the 4-pack of Seekers. It also gives you time to burn your Breath against bosses.

25 INT is the leftover from what you don't have in VIT. I picked 30 VIT because that's the max before an additional point of diminishing return (diminishes happen every 10 of each stat). So far it's working well, but I may rebalance the stats a tiny bit later if I find it beneficial. This INT gives you a heal every time you use Haste or Rally. For every 7 - 8 times you buff yourself, you can tank another full Scratch attack. That's actually a pretty significant amount of healing, considering how easy it is to keep going with the high VIT level.

I picked Gust Slash in order to fight the Arcane boss. The Wind boss can also be fought with your Wind dragon because you resist its Gust Slash and end up taking less damage while you try to build back Breath for Eliminate. You can fight the Wind boss if you've got close to full hp and at least 70 Breath. You can fight the Arcane boss if you've got 75%+ hp and have at least 80 Breath. Because you're already on the edge of being able to kill the boss without major luck, having a high high health fodder makes fighting the bosses a lot easier - so if you like training level 25s on the side, this is good news for you.

If you don't have the right element of dragon, or don't want to fuss with battling the bosses, Sap is a good choice over Gust Slash. There are ample instances where you can use it without wasting a turn, and the Storm Seekers have such low DEF that you get free health from them.

Anyway, using this build, training fodder is actually easier and faster for me than trying to use 2 trainers with high STR. Also, I'm able to be in good condition to fight bosses more often.

I really like this build.

[EDIT]: Here are links to some speed tests.

Using this Harpy's Roost build

Kelp Beds for comparison

Mire solo build for comparison (fastest)
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
@Sylvandyr - Definitely gonna add this to the guide - thanks! It sounds really great.

So now we have a good two-fodder build for Ghostlight, Harpy's Roost, and the Mire. The Mire is the only one you can't do bosses, though the other two can be tough. Boreal Woods & Crystal Pools are pretty slow, but don't need a particularly specific build for double fodder. Nice! All this opens the options up for more people.
@Sylvandyr - Definitely gonna add this to the guide - thanks! It sounds really great.

So now we have a good two-fodder build for Ghostlight, Harpy's Roost, and the Mire. The Mire is the only one you can't do bosses, though the other two can be tough. Boreal Woods & Crystal Pools are pretty slow, but don't need a particularly specific build for double fodder. Nice! All this opens the options up for more people.
@Kiena - I've been meaning to make a better explanation for stuff, but it's going to be a horrible two weeks for me, so I can't. You'll probably see what I mean when you try out the build yourself.

1) I recommend going back to the menu for healing if you're about 30% health and have barely over 35 Breath. You can keep going till maybe 20% health if you are at full Breath. Resetting more often a: gives you a crapton of health back due to your high vit and b: is more likely to get you a boss kill situation. Going to the menu with this build is not a bad thing, there are many potential starting packs.

2) You can 2-scratch the Storm Seekers - who only hit you for 66 - and 3-Scratch / non-Rally Eliminate OHKO the Nature Cloud Dancers. This is real important when deciding to build Breath or avoiding extra Scratch damage. Ex: Cloud Dancer / Sunspot Clouddancer / Cloud Dancer pack, Eliminate both Nature ones and then Scratch Eliminate the Fire one.

3) Paying heed to turn order is great here. There are multiple instances where you can kill a similar monster after the other one has moved, resulting in you getting a turn before the other one and thus avoiding additional damage.

4) If the boss hits your dragon with Shred, you'll have a tough time winning. If it crits you with Shred, you're almost certainly dead. That move just does so much damage. This is where training a lv25 fodder on the side (or pretraining high level pairs to exalt for conquests) really comes in handy - less likely to be a Shred target. Btw, if you get hit by Gust Slash from the Wind boss, that's a good thing! You take less damage than Scratch.
@Kiena - I've been meaning to make a better explanation for stuff, but it's going to be a horrible two weeks for me, so I can't. You'll probably see what I mean when you try out the build yourself.

1) I recommend going back to the menu for healing if you're about 30% health and have barely over 35 Breath. You can keep going till maybe 20% health if you are at full Breath. Resetting more often a: gives you a crapton of health back due to your high vit and b: is more likely to get you a boss kill situation. Going to the menu with this build is not a bad thing, there are many potential starting packs.

2) You can 2-scratch the Storm Seekers - who only hit you for 66 - and 3-Scratch / non-Rally Eliminate OHKO the Nature Cloud Dancers. This is real important when deciding to build Breath or avoiding extra Scratch damage. Ex: Cloud Dancer / Sunspot Clouddancer / Cloud Dancer pack, Eliminate both Nature ones and then Scratch Eliminate the Fire one.

3) Paying heed to turn order is great here. There are multiple instances where you can kill a similar monster after the other one has moved, resulting in you getting a turn before the other one and thus avoiding additional damage.

4) If the boss hits your dragon with Shred, you'll have a tough time winning. If it crits you with Shred, you're almost certainly dead. That move just does so much damage. This is where training a lv25 fodder on the side (or pretraining high level pairs to exalt for conquests) really comes in handy - less likely to be a Shred target. Btw, if you get hit by Gust Slash from the Wind boss, that's a good thing! You take less damage than Scratch.
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
1 2 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 120 121