Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | worst anime series you've ever watched
1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Sorry if this seems uncalled for, but I wanted to give my opinion on the whole "women character" thing since it seems to be talked a lot in this topic?

Anyways, as a women myself, I don't get why a lack of women character (or at least major ones) would be a reason to hate a particuliar piece of media? I personally don't care about a character's gender as long as they're interesting? Besides as of today I don't see how women are really misinterpreted or even a minority, especially compared to other groups?
Maybe it's just my bias since I'm not a feminist nor did I ever feel opressed.

Anyways, back on subject, I don't watch a lot of anime in general (mostly because I find them to be often half-filler) and I usually stop watching because I get bored but the only one I remember stopping because I really could'nt stand it was Hetalia.
Granted I didn't watch much of it but for what I've seen it felt unecessary, unfunny, and overall the humor seems to be all based on homosexual stereotype/"sex" (because all homosexuals care about is sex right???)

Oh and unpopular opinion time: I never liked the Pokémon anime. It just felt like a cash-in to me when i was young. I used to be a big fan of the games (I currently have all main-serie games, and while I don't dislike it nowadays I've grown a bit tired of it)
But ever since I watched the first episodes it disapointed me. I guess as a kid I was excepting something grand and action-based, instead it's yet another bunch of filler that dosen't lead to anything and with no consistency to me.
Everything just feels so repetitive and clichéd, even for a young audience.
Sorry if this seems uncalled for, but I wanted to give my opinion on the whole "women character" thing since it seems to be talked a lot in this topic?

Anyways, as a women myself, I don't get why a lack of women character (or at least major ones) would be a reason to hate a particuliar piece of media? I personally don't care about a character's gender as long as they're interesting? Besides as of today I don't see how women are really misinterpreted or even a minority, especially compared to other groups?
Maybe it's just my bias since I'm not a feminist nor did I ever feel opressed.

Anyways, back on subject, I don't watch a lot of anime in general (mostly because I find them to be often half-filler) and I usually stop watching because I get bored but the only one I remember stopping because I really could'nt stand it was Hetalia.
Granted I didn't watch much of it but for what I've seen it felt unecessary, unfunny, and overall the humor seems to be all based on homosexual stereotype/"sex" (because all homosexuals care about is sex right???)

Oh and unpopular opinion time: I never liked the Pokémon anime. It just felt like a cash-in to me when i was young. I used to be a big fan of the games (I currently have all main-serie games, and while I don't dislike it nowadays I've grown a bit tired of it)
But ever since I watched the first episodes it disapointed me. I guess as a kid I was excepting something grand and action-based, instead it's yet another bunch of filler that dosen't lead to anything and with no consistency to me.
Everything just feels so repetitive and clichéd, even for a young audience.
@BrightEyedBeast
Dont worry your fine! It takes a lot of dissecting to find things often if you arent hypersensitive to them, and I take no offense.

And the transphobic character would be the arranacar Charlotte Cuhlhourne. The intent is to laugh at this 'man' who thinks 'he' is a woman. This kind of gag is definitely transphobic specifically against trans women.
Charlotte is portrayed as ''ugly'' and ''vain'' and calls herself with feminine terms if I recall correctly, and then the show (and possibly the manga) misgender her and make a gag out of it.
It honestly doesnt matter if its a different view on ''transgenderisim'' (the proper term for this would be trans folk actually, transgender isnt a noun) because its still really bad. You cannot lose a clear gag character who is intended to be a caricature of either a drag queen or a trans woman in translation because the gag is still there in the subs and in the character reactions. And just because its an acceptable joke in some places doesnt mean that it doesnt hurt people and you cant critique it.

I am in fact talking about Chizuru and Suì Feng!
See the thing is is that the percentage of gag lesbians in the whole of all canon lesbians is much higher than the gag heterosexuals. This sends a message that being gay is a joke, an oddity, not allowed.
Its not the same when one is heterosexual because thats whats '''standard acceptable'' in society by and large. There are many diverse heterosexual characters and I doubt it feels like a personal insult to a straight persons identity every time a straight character dies or is a joke.
Also,
With Chizuru her characterization reinforcing the stereotype that lesbians are predatory and extremely sexual(also all the shots of her groping Orihime are clearly fanservice).
This is not the same way that Keigo is treated because being straight is not knocking him down a notch in the social order by default. When non-straight people -particularly non-straight women- see these tropes it is extremely uncomfortable.
Though neither of them are very funny.
That like 80% of our representation is either dead, assaults people/harasses people, made for laughs, abusive, or fetishized is really demoralizing and makes people bitter.
Its not that joke characters are bad, its more like when the gag is specifically about and centering a minority who has a history of poor treatment that its *really* tiring and uncomfortable.

Sui Feng has bad treatment in the filler. This is less the fault of Tite Kubo and more on the animators. Shes portrayed as the ''ps*ch* lesbian''(kinda ableist) and this is played for laughs. To go ''ha ha look at how devoted to her mentor she is'' (this is also kinda ableist because codependency is a real and actual problem but thats really fine-print so ill leave it be here). And also Yourichi is far older than her and shows no interest but keeps stringing the poor kid along(Ill refrain from my Yourichi rant). Its played for laughs and not outright said, but shes very much implied to be not-straight and shes fine in the manga, and fine in the not-filler anime(Sui Feng is actually my favorite whoops). But the filler is painfully bad, and this is one of the reasons why.

Yumichika is a pretty good character actually and my only problem is the 'vain pretty guy is gay' trope, but im not a gay man so I cant really speak on the 'iffy representation' level nor have I heard any critiques like I did on Charlotte and Chizuru. And yeah its definitely not stated so he doesnt count, but still I think they knew what they were doing implying and coding him to be gay, then not actually saying it for the non-joke character. Just ~teasing it.

Ukitake I dont have any problems with actually, however, the abelist character I was talking about was Wonderweiss.
Whos entire purpose in life was to explode and die, and be played for laughs. And is very obviously not neurotypical(either intended to be autistic, have downs syndrome, or some other developmental disability, and then killed off. Considering these folk do not have a good history of representation in media this isnt a one-off thing).

Im sure there were others(particularlty after I dropped, and I skipped many filler eps), but those are the big ones.

But yeah the pacing is so bad.
Like the first 15 episodes could be condensed into like 5, and could have (and were intended to be) a different show.
And then the next arc (the best tbh) was achingly long and also could have been condensed into like 10 episodes (cut out all the side characters never seen again and there we go) or just wrapped up with a quick training montage and Ichigo getting rid of Aizen and boom typical shonen done.

The arrancar arc had potential, but this was stifled by the filler and the lonnnggggness of the fights and the everything.
I just got bored before the final Aizen fight and watched amvs to catch myself up, then stopped. I dont think Ill go back except to aggressively make au fanfics to fix it.

This also isnt an attempt to fight im just very hyperaware of poor representation and get annoyed with it.
Bleach isnt Bad, per ce, its just, really badly paced and has the usual anime tropes I dislike as well at the usual levels of poor representation I feel the need to critique.
(If you want to talk bleach through PM we can avoid clogging the thread that way if you have more debate/discussion, im on sporadically throughout the day and +5:00-ish fr time)

And also to make this not off topic, new Bad anime:

Campione! is a terrible harem anime (all harems tend to be Bad, but making the guy into a 'girl magnet' is always extra Bad) I watched about 4 episodes and its fanservicey and cliche.

Is This A Zombie? is transphobic in the 'haha man in a dress' way(the main character is forced into a dress every episode as a gag) and also is a harem and thus objectively trash. The fanservice is pretty bad too.
@BrightEyedBeast
Dont worry your fine! It takes a lot of dissecting to find things often if you arent hypersensitive to them, and I take no offense.

And the transphobic character would be the arranacar Charlotte Cuhlhourne. The intent is to laugh at this 'man' who thinks 'he' is a woman. This kind of gag is definitely transphobic specifically against trans women.
Charlotte is portrayed as ''ugly'' and ''vain'' and calls herself with feminine terms if I recall correctly, and then the show (and possibly the manga) misgender her and make a gag out of it.
It honestly doesnt matter if its a different view on ''transgenderisim'' (the proper term for this would be trans folk actually, transgender isnt a noun) because its still really bad. You cannot lose a clear gag character who is intended to be a caricature of either a drag queen or a trans woman in translation because the gag is still there in the subs and in the character reactions. And just because its an acceptable joke in some places doesnt mean that it doesnt hurt people and you cant critique it.

I am in fact talking about Chizuru and Suì Feng!
See the thing is is that the percentage of gag lesbians in the whole of all canon lesbians is much higher than the gag heterosexuals. This sends a message that being gay is a joke, an oddity, not allowed.
Its not the same when one is heterosexual because thats whats '''standard acceptable'' in society by and large. There are many diverse heterosexual characters and I doubt it feels like a personal insult to a straight persons identity every time a straight character dies or is a joke.
Also,
With Chizuru her characterization reinforcing the stereotype that lesbians are predatory and extremely sexual(also all the shots of her groping Orihime are clearly fanservice).
This is not the same way that Keigo is treated because being straight is not knocking him down a notch in the social order by default. When non-straight people -particularly non-straight women- see these tropes it is extremely uncomfortable.
Though neither of them are very funny.
That like 80% of our representation is either dead, assaults people/harasses people, made for laughs, abusive, or fetishized is really demoralizing and makes people bitter.
Its not that joke characters are bad, its more like when the gag is specifically about and centering a minority who has a history of poor treatment that its *really* tiring and uncomfortable.

Sui Feng has bad treatment in the filler. This is less the fault of Tite Kubo and more on the animators. Shes portrayed as the ''ps*ch* lesbian''(kinda ableist) and this is played for laughs. To go ''ha ha look at how devoted to her mentor she is'' (this is also kinda ableist because codependency is a real and actual problem but thats really fine-print so ill leave it be here). And also Yourichi is far older than her and shows no interest but keeps stringing the poor kid along(Ill refrain from my Yourichi rant). Its played for laughs and not outright said, but shes very much implied to be not-straight and shes fine in the manga, and fine in the not-filler anime(Sui Feng is actually my favorite whoops). But the filler is painfully bad, and this is one of the reasons why.

Yumichika is a pretty good character actually and my only problem is the 'vain pretty guy is gay' trope, but im not a gay man so I cant really speak on the 'iffy representation' level nor have I heard any critiques like I did on Charlotte and Chizuru. And yeah its definitely not stated so he doesnt count, but still I think they knew what they were doing implying and coding him to be gay, then not actually saying it for the non-joke character. Just ~teasing it.

Ukitake I dont have any problems with actually, however, the abelist character I was talking about was Wonderweiss.
Whos entire purpose in life was to explode and die, and be played for laughs. And is very obviously not neurotypical(either intended to be autistic, have downs syndrome, or some other developmental disability, and then killed off. Considering these folk do not have a good history of representation in media this isnt a one-off thing).

Im sure there were others(particularlty after I dropped, and I skipped many filler eps), but those are the big ones.

But yeah the pacing is so bad.
Like the first 15 episodes could be condensed into like 5, and could have (and were intended to be) a different show.
And then the next arc (the best tbh) was achingly long and also could have been condensed into like 10 episodes (cut out all the side characters never seen again and there we go) or just wrapped up with a quick training montage and Ichigo getting rid of Aizen and boom typical shonen done.

The arrancar arc had potential, but this was stifled by the filler and the lonnnggggness of the fights and the everything.
I just got bored before the final Aizen fight and watched amvs to catch myself up, then stopped. I dont think Ill go back except to aggressively make au fanfics to fix it.

This also isnt an attempt to fight im just very hyperaware of poor representation and get annoyed with it.
Bleach isnt Bad, per ce, its just, really badly paced and has the usual anime tropes I dislike as well at the usual levels of poor representation I feel the need to critique.
(If you want to talk bleach through PM we can avoid clogging the thread that way if you have more debate/discussion, im on sporadically throughout the day and +5:00-ish fr time)

And also to make this not off topic, new Bad anime:

Campione! is a terrible harem anime (all harems tend to be Bad, but making the guy into a 'girl magnet' is always extra Bad) I watched about 4 episodes and its fanservicey and cliche.

Is This A Zombie? is transphobic in the 'haha man in a dress' way(the main character is forced into a dress every episode as a gag) and also is a harem and thus objectively trash. The fanservice is pretty bad too.
±
They/Them | FrT +3
tumblr_inline_og1428X8wh1so6t4z_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_og141lJTzb1so6t4z_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_og1428X8wh1so6t4z_75sq.png
honestly? FMA. it's just boring.
honestly? FMA. it's just boring.
img.jpg
Fooly Cooly. Just don't. Why did my friend make me watch that. Why is it considered a classic. Why. Why. It was so weird and uncomfortable. What was the plot. Why is there a robot. Who is this woman. Why is everyone harassing this 11 year old boy. Why.
Fooly Cooly. Just don't. Why did my friend make me watch that. Why is it considered a classic. Why. Why. It was so weird and uncomfortable. What was the plot. Why is there a robot. Who is this woman. Why is everyone harassing this 11 year old boy. Why.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
Everything about the pokemon anime infuriates me
/thread
That being said though the movies can be kind of enjoyable.

@LilBlueSapling oh man, the Ghost Stories dub was something else. That cat is so meta towards my feelings on the entire series.

Everything about the pokemon anime infuriates me
/thread
That being said though the movies can be kind of enjoyable.

@LilBlueSapling oh man, the Ghost Stories dub was something else. That cat is so meta towards my feelings on the entire series.

Bb9XFYa.png
xrdZoYH.png
pZJYyk4.png
sbmtjDC.png
kncGB4g.gif
suFrgfl.png
l8NOdbs.png
ZwbGqUa.png
ElKYM7J.png
Y7MOfeL.png
GdVZ87H.png
SZfmfRv.png
I wouldn't say any of the Anime's I've watched were terrible. I enjoyed watching each, but the one I didn't like as much was No.6.
I wouldn't say any of the Anime's I've watched were terrible. I enjoyed watching each, but the one I didn't like as much was No.6.
I'll say Fruits Basket, but that applies mainly to the manga. I didn't even get past episode... Three in the anime?

Yeah anyway. Lemme go on a rant here.
- The protagonist is useless. She's weak and can only cry but what bothers me the most is that she has no determination whatsoever nor an important role
- All the guys in the series (meaning almost every character apart from the protagonist) love and admire her willingness to sacrifice herself for others, like really. That's a good thing. But she does nothing BUT live for others.
- At a point her usefulness is literally reduced to chores and motivating the male characters to fight. What even?! Can a woman live for more than doing household chores?
- When someone steals the most precious thing she has, she just weakly begs him to return it to her and then doesn't do anything until a Guy Friend sees her crying and valiantly takes her necklace from the hands of the eleven-year-old offender.
- I could honestly keep going on a rant about Tooru but basically the most misogynistic and useless main character I have ever seen in my life.
- As for the other reasons I dislike it: we never get what we are promised. For example we were promised a Zodiac End of the Year party and a beautiful dance. We were given none of it. That's a small thing I know, but I really wanted to see it.
- More importantly, we are promised dark secrets. We see Akihito (was that his name?) scaring the heck out of everyone and everyone talking about how he's a terrible clan patriarch who abuses all the others and then?? We don't see anything?? Literally the worst he had done to the point where I arrived was uh... Insulting or threatening the Cow Guy. I liked the Cow Guy I admit but still. I waited so many chapters for that little nugget and no more in sight. Suspense is good in small doses.
I'll say Fruits Basket, but that applies mainly to the manga. I didn't even get past episode... Three in the anime?

Yeah anyway. Lemme go on a rant here.
- The protagonist is useless. She's weak and can only cry but what bothers me the most is that she has no determination whatsoever nor an important role
- All the guys in the series (meaning almost every character apart from the protagonist) love and admire her willingness to sacrifice herself for others, like really. That's a good thing. But she does nothing BUT live for others.
- At a point her usefulness is literally reduced to chores and motivating the male characters to fight. What even?! Can a woman live for more than doing household chores?
- When someone steals the most precious thing she has, she just weakly begs him to return it to her and then doesn't do anything until a Guy Friend sees her crying and valiantly takes her necklace from the hands of the eleven-year-old offender.
- I could honestly keep going on a rant about Tooru but basically the most misogynistic and useless main character I have ever seen in my life.
- As for the other reasons I dislike it: we never get what we are promised. For example we were promised a Zodiac End of the Year party and a beautiful dance. We were given none of it. That's a small thing I know, but I really wanted to see it.
- More importantly, we are promised dark secrets. We see Akihito (was that his name?) scaring the heck out of everyone and everyone talking about how he's a terrible clan patriarch who abuses all the others and then?? We don't see anything?? Literally the worst he had done to the point where I arrived was uh... Insulting or threatening the Cow Guy. I liked the Cow Guy I admit but still. I waited so many chapters for that little nugget and no more in sight. Suspense is good in small doses.
Wishlist | They/Them or Xe/Zir | Please ping me!
Fairy Tail. The humor is just so overplayed and in your face that it was all I could focus on, and I didn't even find any of the jokes funny. It felt more like a bad sitcom than a drama with an actual plot. I couldn't even get through a single episode. I have no idea why my best friend loves it so much.
Fairy Tail. The humor is just so overplayed and in your face that it was all I could focus on, and I didn't even find any of the jokes funny. It felt more like a bad sitcom than a drama with an actual plot. I couldn't even get through a single episode. I have no idea why my best friend loves it so much.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
lmao when i was in high school i had a friend who tried to get me into anime by having me watch Elfen lied. I barely got through the first episode, I couldn't stop laughing the whole time. It's so edgy.

ETA: wow I cannot spell
lmao when i was in high school i had a friend who tried to get me into anime by having me watch Elfen lied. I barely got through the first episode, I couldn't stop laughing the whole time. It's so edgy.

ETA: wow I cannot spell

iATzB2Z.png
@chilope

Lol, what a bad beginning anime.
@chilope

Lol, what a bad beginning anime.
3e4.gif
1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31