Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers: December Edition!
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
@LadyRowyn
Well December has always been so busy, so I don't blame you. Holidays are always the hardest time of year to get much of anything personal done.

I, thankfully, got a job after a year of not working so that pushed a few plans to the side for now. But things will settle down soon and I can finally look at trying to publish my first book. I hope it goes well. I know it doesn't happen immediately, even if you have connections, but at least I can start saving for an editor. I have 0% understand of what I am doing. I will come here for help. Yes.
@LadyRowyn
Well December has always been so busy, so I don't blame you. Holidays are always the hardest time of year to get much of anything personal done.

I, thankfully, got a job after a year of not working so that pushed a few plans to the side for now. But things will settle down soon and I can finally look at trying to publish my first book. I hope it goes well. I know it doesn't happen immediately, even if you have connections, but at least I can start saving for an editor. I have 0% understand of what I am doing. I will come here for help. Yes.
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
@LadyRowyn Yeah, I know, 3 eggs in 2 months sort of blew my mind. Alaman's sitting on them in preparation for the boom in prices when the new colors start coming out. In the meantime, I am enjoying the spare treasure the patience challenge is giving me, it is letting do quite a few genening projects. Considering it's basically completely mindless I can do it now without really worrying about strategic moves to survive battles. (and I'm now being bad by going back to the Delta to grind for more Poi/Tox ingredients), It generates capless treasure and is going to give me a pair of sellable/raffleable dragons at the end. If I can't get that red/red/plat(or white or ice) male fae before they're at 25, I'm going to just raffle/sell off the pair I've trained (statted and stoned) and get a new pair to start on on another challenge. ------- I did a lair purge! Sort of. It hurt. Jyouyou, Placeholder,Youma, Thermodynamic and Iskariot (the first) are now gone. Culurien, Tlamantini and Cephissus might be on the block next. Culurien's closer than the others. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=5575173] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/55752/5575173_350.png[/img] [/url] Obs/Ice/White If there's someone that might want her, let me know. There's no immediate rush, since It's probably going to take me ages to be impulsive to just go and push the button on her. But in the meantime, she's going to get leveled-up anyway, so that might be a bonus for someone who wants a coli or lore dragon? ------ And to completely undo the gains from exalting. I finally got that Rigeback I've been after, she's so lovely! It only took me 8 months to find parents to make her (after trying unncessfully to breed one with the right colors for 4 months prior). [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19102105] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/191022/19102105_350.png[/img] [/url] Obs/Shadow/Gold! NEED MORE CRIMSON SILKS! And I have a new Iskariot. Happily enough, also a Fire dragon. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18916311] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/189164/18916311_350.png[/img] [/url] Obs/Obs/Gold
@LadyRowyn

Yeah, I know, 3 eggs in 2 months sort of blew my mind. Alaman's sitting on them in preparation for the boom in prices when the new colors start coming out.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the spare treasure the patience challenge is giving me, it is letting do quite a few genening projects. Considering it's basically completely mindless I can do it now without really worrying about strategic moves to survive battles. (and I'm now being bad by going back to the Delta to grind for more Poi/Tox ingredients), It generates capless treasure and is going to give me a pair of sellable/raffleable dragons at the end.

If I can't get that red/red/plat(or white or ice) male fae before they're at 25, I'm going to just raffle/sell off the pair I've trained (statted and stoned) and get a new pair to start on on another challenge.

I did a lair purge! Sort of. It hurt.

Jyouyou, Placeholder,Youma, Thermodynamic and Iskariot (the first) are now gone.

Culurien, Tlamantini and Cephissus might be on the block next. Culurien's closer than the others.

5575173_350.png

Obs/Ice/White

If there's someone that might want her, let me know. There's no immediate rush, since It's probably going to take me ages to be impulsive to just go and push the button on her. But in the meantime, she's going to get leveled-up anyway, so that might be a bonus for someone who wants a coli or lore dragon?

And to completely undo the gains from exalting. I finally got that Rigeback I've been after, she's so lovely! It only took me 8 months to find parents to make her (after trying unncessfully to breed one with the right colors for 4 months prior).

19102105_350.png

Obs/Shadow/Gold! NEED MORE CRIMSON SILKS!

And I have a new Iskariot. Happily enough, also a Fire dragon.

18916311_350.png

Obs/Obs/Gold
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
I wrote for one day of NaNo and then went all NahNOPE because I started getting swamped with papers in school. If there's anything to put one off writing, it's that.
Now that break looms ever closer, I find I have a writing itch to scratch again.
I wrote for one day of NaNo and then went all NahNOPE because I started getting swamped with papers in school. If there's anything to put one off writing, it's that.
Now that break looms ever closer, I find I have a writing itch to scratch again.
je67dzK.gifgLbSZXW.gif59TgHaL.png
I need NaNoWriMo to not be in November. Before, it was final projects that kept me from finishing. Now, it's holiday family drama. I'm going to unofficially move mine to January. Nothing is ever dramatic for me in January.
I need NaNoWriMo to not be in November. Before, it was final projects that kept me from finishing. Now, it's holiday family drama. I'm going to unofficially move mine to January. Nothing is ever dramatic for me in January.
At least you walked a lonely road and gave it a friend.
@LadyRowyn That is a good point...I have a fair amount of festival stuff that I could sell off. Maybe I should go poke around to see what kind of prices I can get.

I haven't really started revising yet, but I somehow managed to take on a giant load of other commitments. I'm doing some sample illustrations for a member of my critique group who's working on a math-based kids' book (a "first chapter" book, if anyone besides my library uses that category) so she can have some visuals for the math solutions her characters come up with. I'm also in the process of finding some critique partners via an internet matchup, so I now have three partial manuscripts to read and give feedback on. But once I've gotten those out of the way I'm hoping to start revisions on the later chapters of my novel...so I can get more feedback and revise the whole thing!

...wow, that felt less overwhelming before I listed all the things I have to do. O_O
@LadyRowyn That is a good point...I have a fair amount of festival stuff that I could sell off. Maybe I should go poke around to see what kind of prices I can get.

I haven't really started revising yet, but I somehow managed to take on a giant load of other commitments. I'm doing some sample illustrations for a member of my critique group who's working on a math-based kids' book (a "first chapter" book, if anyone besides my library uses that category) so she can have some visuals for the math solutions her characters come up with. I'm also in the process of finding some critique partners via an internet matchup, so I now have three partial manuscripts to read and give feedback on. But once I've gotten those out of the way I'm hoping to start revisions on the later chapters of my novel...so I can get more feedback and revise the whole thing!

...wow, that felt less overwhelming before I listed all the things I have to do. O_O
5NpWyuc.png oq4SbhH.png 8qtlLxx.gif
More babies: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19276233] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/192763/19276233_350.png[/img] [/url] Shadow/Coral/Royal Female [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19276234] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/192763/19276234_350.png[/img] [/url] Midnight/Beige/Royal Female The last one would have been nice...if she didn't have beige secondary. :p And the first one is too similar to her dad. I will probably train/exalt them unless somebody wants them.
More babies:

19276233_350.png

Shadow/Coral/Royal Female

19276234_350.png

Midnight/Beige/Royal Female

The last one would have been nice...if she didn't have beige secondary. :p And the first one is too similar to her dad. I will probably train/exalt them unless somebody wants them.
NOTE: Dergs in my lair with scries are just ideas, & are subject to change/not final.
nZJa3n3.png
@CosmicCoelacanth I always thought the "white elephant" gift exchange referred to the type of gift: that you were supposed to bring things you already had but didn't want. Like re-gifting. But yeah, apparently it's used to refer to just the stealing part of the game too. :D Good luck with the comic! Illustrating them is SO MUCH work. Oy. @BombSwan I will get stuff done this month! I think I'm done with "A Regular Hero" now, too. Still have to write introductions. Argh why does publishing have so many little pieces? I've never hired an editor for any of my books. It's an expensive proposition and the value of it isn't clear. :| I don't mean that "editors overcharge", by any means: writing a good critique is a time-consuming process. Just reading a novel carefully takes several hours. So I don't see any way to make doing the work cheap. But a lot of the advice you get is so subjective that I'm not sure if it's worth it. Like ... I think it's more cost-effective for me to learn to write by studying -- take classes, reading books on writing, studying how my favorite authors make their stories work, etc -- than by giving my work to someone else and spending several hundred dollars for them to tell me specifics about it. Because the things that one editor doesn't like may be entirely different from what another editor doesn't, and the broad areas where people generally agree are going to be covered by writing books and classes. @Amut *does a little happy dance for Thermodynamic being gone!* *coughs* Er, I mean, congrats on purging some dragons! I'm sorry it was hard. Your new ridgeback is PERFECT for that accent! Spectacular. :D @Aeroden The writing compels you! DOOOO EEEEEET. @Fractures Hee! Yeah, I don't get why they decided on November. It seems like the worst possible month for most people in the Western world. -_- I dunno, maybe it works for people where the climate is dreary and they'd rather stay in and write. They could've at least picked a month with 31 days, though! @PocketTheSaurus *is overwhelmed just looking at your list* O_O I put 9 items up for auction and only one of them has actually sold so far. But they were all things worth 2000+ gems. The low price for Windbound Plumage right now is 5874 gems and 3,200,000 treasure, for example. WHOA. I had four of those! And I don't even like it very much. c_c * I updated Jocasta's bio, @micahjaguar! It includes a cameo from Consort (under the alias of "Rescuer"). [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9663378] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/96634/9663378_350.png[/img] [/url]
@CosmicCoelacanth I always thought the "white elephant" gift exchange referred to the type of gift: that you were supposed to bring things you already had but didn't want. Like re-gifting. But yeah, apparently it's used to refer to just the stealing part of the game too. :D

Good luck with the comic! Illustrating them is SO MUCH work. Oy.

@BombSwan I will get stuff done this month! I think I'm done with "A Regular Hero" now, too. Still have to write introductions. Argh why does publishing have so many little pieces?

I've never hired an editor for any of my books. It's an expensive proposition and the value of it isn't clear. :| I don't mean that "editors overcharge", by any means: writing a good critique is a time-consuming process. Just reading a novel carefully takes several hours. So I don't see any way to make doing the work cheap. But a lot of the advice you get is so subjective that I'm not sure if it's worth it. Like ... I think it's more cost-effective for me to learn to write by studying -- take classes, reading books on writing, studying how my favorite authors make their stories work, etc -- than by giving my work to someone else and spending several hundred dollars for them to tell me specifics about it. Because the things that one editor doesn't like may be entirely different from what another editor doesn't, and the broad areas where people generally agree are going to be covered by writing books and classes.

@Amut *does a little happy dance for Thermodynamic being gone!* *coughs* Er, I mean, congrats on purging some dragons! I'm sorry it was hard.

Your new ridgeback is PERFECT for that accent! Spectacular. :D

@Aeroden The writing compels you! DOOOO EEEEEET.

@Fractures Hee! Yeah, I don't get why they decided on November. It seems like the worst possible month for most people in the Western world. -_- I dunno, maybe it works for people where the climate is dreary and they'd rather stay in and write. They could've at least picked a month with 31 days, though!

@PocketTheSaurus *is overwhelmed just looking at your list* O_O

I put 9 items up for auction and only one of them has actually sold so far. But they were all things worth 2000+ gems. The low price for Windbound Plumage right now is 5874 gems and 3,200,000 treasure, for example. WHOA. I had four of those! And I don't even like it very much. c_c

I updated Jocasta's bio, @micahjaguar! It includes a cameo from Consort (under the alias of "Rescuer").

9663378_350.png
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@LadyRowan
The new titles come from a quote in the books. "Three things can destroy a freshly turned werewolf: The Fright, The Flight, or The Fight. You should fear the Shift, and you should enjoy being a wolf, and your expected to fight both the change and other pack members, but to much of any and you'll be lost"
The axmen ax actually undos the transformation--and the wolf will be unable to be reinfected. It's main themes are about bodily autonomy and the nature of consent.
Mainly because whenever I read about hunters killing wolves I'm always like "how are they getting away regularly murdering people? They're serial killers, who's not noticing???"
@LadyRowan
The new titles come from a quote in the books. "Three things can destroy a freshly turned werewolf: The Fright, The Flight, or The Fight. You should fear the Shift, and you should enjoy being a wolf, and your expected to fight both the change and other pack members, but to much of any and you'll be lost"
The axmen ax actually undos the transformation--and the wolf will be unable to be reinfected. It's main themes are about bodily autonomy and the nature of consent.
Mainly because whenever I read about hunters killing wolves I'm always like "how are they getting away regularly murdering people? They're serial killers, who's not noticing???"

I'm just a tiny watering can, nourishing my tiny plant friends
Holy crumbs! A thread for writers! I gotta get on this pinglist!

I'd never heard of NaNoWiMo until finding this thread, and whoa, that's some hefty stuff, but I can see it being possible. I feel like I'd never have the attention span to actually sit down and keep at it though, my writing is so sporadic.

I mostly do literate roleplay with a circle of friends on and off of tumblr, but a lot of times I'll take the characters, both my own and others', and put them into my own short stories. They rarely ever get finished since I lose steam pretty quick, but when they do they tend to hit. . Roughly 3k on average? I feel like they're so tiny next to the stuff you guys do, throwing around 30k and 40k. ;A;

I've had ideas for a heavy novel swimming in my head for years now, though, and I think a band of writers is just what I need to get that push into finally putting it on paper as something more solid. It's about dragons (hella), and might turn into multiple books if I get it published since there's a time skip across two generations worked in. (Look at me, being ambitious.)
Holy crumbs! A thread for writers! I gotta get on this pinglist!

I'd never heard of NaNoWiMo until finding this thread, and whoa, that's some hefty stuff, but I can see it being possible. I feel like I'd never have the attention span to actually sit down and keep at it though, my writing is so sporadic.

I mostly do literate roleplay with a circle of friends on and off of tumblr, but a lot of times I'll take the characters, both my own and others', and put them into my own short stories. They rarely ever get finished since I lose steam pretty quick, but when they do they tend to hit. . Roughly 3k on average? I feel like they're so tiny next to the stuff you guys do, throwing around 30k and 40k. ;A;

I've had ideas for a heavy novel swimming in my head for years now, though, and I think a band of writers is just what I need to get that push into finally putting it on paper as something more solid. It's about dragons (hella), and might turn into multiple books if I get it published since there's a time skip across two generations worked in. (Look at me, being ambitious.)
tumblr_ojsltcIPTp1u3wsjco5_400.png
ePOliyb.png
zl1ZGZ2.png
OrNt8gj.png
Al1BEGR.png
2VCdrqz.png
Stqwmyx.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
mjtJ868.png
YMPbu9R.png
@thystlodagai
3k isn't nothing to sneeze at either! Makes for a decent dragon bio. And anyway, a 30k novella is just 10 3k stories
@thystlodagai
3k isn't nothing to sneeze at either! Makes for a decent dragon bio. And anyway, a 30k novella is just 10 3k stories

I'm just a tiny watering can, nourishing my tiny plant friends
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11