Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Why do I suck so bad at the coliseum?
Hi all. I'm really frustrated. I'm in the middle of a really scary, dark time in my life, my mental health is tanked and Flight Rising has been a really nice boost - something positive to go back to after another hard, crappy day.

But I'm kind of stuck. I have dragons nesting, and I want to level them to Exalt them for money (I even have a whole tab full of dragons I plan to Exalt) but I just suck at the coliseum. I die absolutely all the time. I "win" a battle maybe 20% of the time.

I think you all can see my dragons (?) but feel free to ask details. I'll just use names for right now. I am planning on raising Midir to be my main level 25 dragon to level other dragons and farm items. I bought my two level 10 dragons (Periwinkle and Tandel) off the auction house to help level Midir (or anyone else) but nothing I try works. I can't afford expensive battle stones like Eliminate that I've seen on coli guides, and I have 1 Berserker and 1 Ambush I managed to get but I don't want to waste them by placing them somewhere I will regret. :( I tried minmaxing Midir, Tandel and Periwinkle based off guides I read but I still get wrecked.

Example - I will take Periwinkle (10) Midir (7) and Tandel (10) into Scorched Forest (7-8) or Sandswept Delta (10) but just get decimated. Worse if I replace one of them with a level 1 or something trying to level them.

It's like - I need to coli raise and exalt dragons to get money. I need money to buy expensive battle stones to coli raise and exalt dragons. And I haven't found a guide that is helpful for beginners who are stuck in this circle. Please help :(
Hi all. I'm really frustrated. I'm in the middle of a really scary, dark time in my life, my mental health is tanked and Flight Rising has been a really nice boost - something positive to go back to after another hard, crappy day.

But I'm kind of stuck. I have dragons nesting, and I want to level them to Exalt them for money (I even have a whole tab full of dragons I plan to Exalt) but I just suck at the coliseum. I die absolutely all the time. I "win" a battle maybe 20% of the time.

I think you all can see my dragons (?) but feel free to ask details. I'll just use names for right now. I am planning on raising Midir to be my main level 25 dragon to level other dragons and farm items. I bought my two level 10 dragons (Periwinkle and Tandel) off the auction house to help level Midir (or anyone else) but nothing I try works. I can't afford expensive battle stones like Eliminate that I've seen on coli guides, and I have 1 Berserker and 1 Ambush I managed to get but I don't want to waste them by placing them somewhere I will regret. :( I tried minmaxing Midir, Tandel and Periwinkle based off guides I read but I still get wrecked.

Example - I will take Periwinkle (10) Midir (7) and Tandel (10) into Scorched Forest (7-8) or Sandswept Delta (10) but just get decimated. Worse if I replace one of them with a level 1 or something trying to level them.

It's like - I need to coli raise and exalt dragons to get money. I need money to buy expensive battle stones to coli raise and exalt dragons. And I haven't found a guide that is helpful for beginners who are stuck in this circle. Please help :(
@RiotHyena
Assuming you're statting according to a guide (I don't remember the stats for each level off the top of my head anymore), you are going to need those stones. Ambush will help significantly. If you max your fairgrounds, you can get enough for 2-3 ambushes within 30 minutes with Glimmer & Gloom. There's a lot of guides, but I think I've seen people have the most success with this one even when they struggle with all the others.

You can also check your flight forums for a level 25 lending service, which will give you a fully ready to use dragon to borrow and train up your own with.
@RiotHyena
Assuming you're statting according to a guide (I don't remember the stats for each level off the top of my head anymore), you are going to need those stones. Ambush will help significantly. If you max your fairgrounds, you can get enough for 2-3 ambushes within 30 minutes with Glimmer & Gloom. There's a lot of guides, but I think I've seen people have the most success with this one even when they struggle with all the others.

You can also check your flight forums for a level 25 lending service, which will give you a fully ready to use dragon to borrow and train up your own with.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
@RiotHyena

Yeah, coliseum is an investment and it's hard to get going.

This guide can help you make some starting cash. I promise you that every expensive battle stone pays for itself. However, if you're going to put an Eliminate on any of your dragons I would recommend it be Tandel, not Midir, since Nature is a good element for leveling dragons in the Ghostlight Ruins.

It might be cheaper and easier to rent a level 25 and use that dragon to level your dragons and make some cash, rather than try to level from scratch. You can usually find level 25 rentals in your flight forums.

You will also spend less money and get started leveling quicker if you save up for a level 25 that already has stones equipped (use this Auction House search, check for Eliminate and preferably Rally, Haste, three Berserkers and two Ambushes), then retincture the stats to either the Ghostlight Ruins (Nature or Water element) or Mire (Arcane or Earth element) builds in this guide.

Barring that, it might work better to have all of your dragons be the same level, and make sure all their stats are exactly like in this guide. The Scorched Forest is miserable no matter what, by the way, it's not just you. You don't need an Eliminate on every dragon, just on one (preferably the second or third in the lineup so the other dragons can use scratch to weaken dragons for them).
@RiotHyena

Yeah, coliseum is an investment and it's hard to get going.

This guide can help you make some starting cash. I promise you that every expensive battle stone pays for itself. However, if you're going to put an Eliminate on any of your dragons I would recommend it be Tandel, not Midir, since Nature is a good element for leveling dragons in the Ghostlight Ruins.

It might be cheaper and easier to rent a level 25 and use that dragon to level your dragons and make some cash, rather than try to level from scratch. You can usually find level 25 rentals in your flight forums.

You will also spend less money and get started leveling quicker if you save up for a level 25 that already has stones equipped (use this Auction House search, check for Eliminate and preferably Rally, Haste, three Berserkers and two Ambushes), then retincture the stats to either the Ghostlight Ruins (Nature or Water element) or Mire (Arcane or Earth element) builds in this guide.

Barring that, it might work better to have all of your dragons be the same level, and make sure all their stats are exactly like in this guide. The Scorched Forest is miserable no matter what, by the way, it's not just you. You don't need an Eliminate on every dragon, just on one (preferably the second or third in the lineup so the other dragons can use scratch to weaken dragons for them).
@Tserin

I was! I was using this guide: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1040710/1#post_1040710 i tried to minmax Midir according to it (str+qck) but it doesn't seem to work well without all the stones, and I have to get her to level 10 to put the Ambush I do have on, and I couldn't get her there. But a couple people have DMed me with incredibly kind solutions, so I think I have it fixed :)

Also - I am unsure why people don't use Artifracture more. I can usually get to about level 20 in Artifracture and after two or three times I have maxed out the fairgrounds. It seems easier than figuring out how Glimmer & Gloom works, right? Is it the time sink?

Also also, thank you for telling me about lending dragon services! I had no idea anything like that existed!
@Tserin

I was! I was using this guide: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1040710/1#post_1040710 i tried to minmax Midir according to it (str+qck) but it doesn't seem to work well without all the stones, and I have to get her to level 10 to put the Ambush I do have on, and I couldn't get her there. But a couple people have DMed me with incredibly kind solutions, so I think I have it fixed :)

Also - I am unsure why people don't use Artifracture more. I can usually get to about level 20 in Artifracture and after two or three times I have maxed out the fairgrounds. It seems easier than figuring out how Glimmer & Gloom works, right? Is it the time sink?

Also also, thank you for telling me about lending dragon services! I had no idea anything like that existed!
@RiotHyena
You only need to get to level 9 to equip ambush. Make sure you're also using a Tincture of Dissolution on your dragons to get the most out of their stats! A lot of builds end up requiring them to get to the exact, final stats.

Artifracture is a lot easier, but also a lot slower. You can max your lucky streak in 10-15 minutes once you've gotten used to the G&G strategy, but doing the same thing with artifracture, or any other game for that matter, can take hours.
@RiotHyena
You only need to get to level 9 to equip ambush. Make sure you're also using a Tincture of Dissolution on your dragons to get the most out of their stats! A lot of builds end up requiring them to get to the exact, final stats.

Artifracture is a lot easier, but also a lot slower. You can max your lucky streak in 10-15 minutes once you've gotten used to the G&G strategy, but doing the same thing with artifracture, or any other game for that matter, can take hours.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
@Kasael

Thank you for the info! Is Ghostlight better than the Mire? I keep hearing people go on about the Mire - is that for levels, or for farming items? Are Arcane and Earth more common and that's why people like the Mire more, or is it just preference or something?

I'm positive the battle stones are totally worth it (or I'm sure nobody would be using them, recommending them, and they wouldn't cost as much) but I'm sort of in a catch-22 here. I responded to your DM by the way - thank you so much for being so incredibly kind to me!

Thanks for validating me on how awful the Scorched Forest is - I absolutely hate those centaurs. ;_; I'll stat like that guide - i was trying to stat Midir like that one (dumping all her stats in STR+QCK and maybe working VIT up to 25 here and there) but the stones were stopping me from making much progress without her just getting wrecked.

One last question - does the lineup go from left to right, right to left, or is the first-moving dragon the one in the front/middle slot on the Organize Team thing? This is probably a dumb question, but, I got kind of confused trying to figure that one out.

thank you again! Also, I love your dragons. I was cracking up reading the names, too. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.
@Kasael

Thank you for the info! Is Ghostlight better than the Mire? I keep hearing people go on about the Mire - is that for levels, or for farming items? Are Arcane and Earth more common and that's why people like the Mire more, or is it just preference or something?

I'm positive the battle stones are totally worth it (or I'm sure nobody would be using them, recommending them, and they wouldn't cost as much) but I'm sort of in a catch-22 here. I responded to your DM by the way - thank you so much for being so incredibly kind to me!

Thanks for validating me on how awful the Scorched Forest is - I absolutely hate those centaurs. ;_; I'll stat like that guide - i was trying to stat Midir like that one (dumping all her stats in STR+QCK and maybe working VIT up to 25 here and there) but the stones were stopping me from making much progress without her just getting wrecked.

One last question - does the lineup go from left to right, right to left, or is the first-moving dragon the one in the front/middle slot on the Organize Team thing? This is probably a dumb question, but, I got kind of confused trying to figure that one out.

thank you again! Also, I love your dragons. I was cracking up reading the names, too. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.
@RiotHyena

Ghostlight Ruins and Mire are both used for leveling dragons (to 25, or to exalt), and they're about equivalent. The mire has more mages and fewer bosses so you can go longer without having to reset, and the ruins have marginally more valuable drops. In the end the leveling speed is about the same though.

Specific elements are recommended because they resist the elemental attacks of the mages in those venues.

And yeah, it's really hard to hit those stat thresholds without having all the right stones. And the right stones... are expensive. It wasn't this bad back in the day when that guide was written - if you can believe it, Ambush stones were significantly more expensive than Eliminate...

The lineup goes from left to right, assuming all dragons have the same QCK and # of ambush stones. No such thing as dumb questions!
@RiotHyena

Ghostlight Ruins and Mire are both used for leveling dragons (to 25, or to exalt), and they're about equivalent. The mire has more mages and fewer bosses so you can go longer without having to reset, and the ruins have marginally more valuable drops. In the end the leveling speed is about the same though.

Specific elements are recommended because they resist the elemental attacks of the mages in those venues.

And yeah, it's really hard to hit those stat thresholds without having all the right stones. And the right stones... are expensive. It wasn't this bad back in the day when that guide was written - if you can believe it, Ambush stones were significantly more expensive than Eliminate...

The lineup goes from left to right, assuming all dragons have the same QCK and # of ambush stones. No such thing as dumb questions!