Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Underrated or Not-Well-Known Books
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="KingJin" date="2022-01-12 18:13:23" ] The Wondla Trilogy by Tony Diterlizzi has the same effect the Edge Chronicles does. The story is such a superb driving plot that it actually hurts to put the book down. I like to tell people this book is what would happen if Wall-E, Alice in Wonderland and Star Wars had a baby together. It is another favorite of mine- Diterlizzi's fantastic art is matched by his writing skills. I think a show is being adapted for this and will release on Apple TV last I heard.[/quote] @KingJin I [b]adore[/b] [i]WondLa[/i]! Not only is the art beautiful (Diterlizzi's creature design is fantastic) but the story still holds up a decade later. The characters are really emotionally complex and compelling, especially for a middle-grade series. I cannot wait for the TV series, hopefully it gets more people into this gem of a trilogy. [center]***[/center] @Kender I loved [i]The Name of This Book is Secret[/i] and its sequels when I was younger. The appendices! The [i]footnotes![/i] [emoji=guardian love size=1] [center]***[/center] [quote name="VampireAres" date="2022-02-06 13:09:13" ] Idk if its really not well known or anything but probably my favorite book series of all time is the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot :) its a semi-autobiographical series about a veterinarian in a small town in England. its very funny and sweet, and just kind of a good break from all the high-action bloody stuff i usually enjoy reading lol [/quote] @VampireAres There's a very sweet television adaptation of [i]All Creatures Great and Small[/i] on Masterpiece Classic! I haven't read the books yet, but I've been watching the series with my family every Sunday night. [center]***[/center] @loumauve Another His Dark Materials fan! As a lover of the books, I am really enjoying the new tv show. I'm excited to see the mulefa on screen in season 3! [center]***[/center] Ok to add my own, I'm currently reading a series called [i]The Memoirs of Lady Trent[/i] by Marie Brennan, but they're better known by the name of the first book: [i]A Natural History of Dragons.[/i] From the author's website: [indent][i]"Set in an alternate world based on our own nineteenth century, the Memoirs of Lady Trent are a five-book series chronicling the adventures and discoveries of Isabella, Lady Trent, renowned dragon naturalist."[/i][/indent] Isabella is a pioneering woman scientist studying dragons in a patriarchal society, and her insatiable curiosity inadvertently leads to scandal on more than one occasion. These books have some very cool ideas on how dragon biology, ecology, and evolution might work in the real world.
KingJin wrote on 2022-01-12 18:13:23:
The Wondla Trilogy by Tony Diterlizzi has the same effect the Edge Chronicles does. The story is such a superb driving plot that it actually hurts to put the book down. I like to tell people this book is what would happen if Wall-E, Alice in Wonderland and Star Wars had a baby together. It is another favorite of mine- Diterlizzi's fantastic art is matched by his writing skills. I think a show is being adapted for this and will release on Apple TV last I heard.
@KingJin I adore WondLa! Not only is the art beautiful (Diterlizzi's creature design is fantastic) but the story still holds up a decade later. The characters are really emotionally complex and compelling, especially for a middle-grade series. I cannot wait for the TV series, hopefully it gets more people into this gem of a trilogy.

@Kender I loved The Name of This Book is Secret and its sequels when I was younger. The appendices! The footnotes!
VampireAres wrote on 2022-02-06 13:09:13:
Idk if its really not well known or anything but probably my favorite book series of all time is the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot :) its a semi-autobiographical series about a veterinarian in a small town in England. its very funny and sweet, and just kind of a good break from all the high-action bloody stuff i usually enjoy reading lol
@VampireAres There's a very sweet television adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small on Masterpiece Classic! I haven't read the books yet, but I've been watching the series with my family every Sunday night.

@loumauve Another His Dark Materials fan! As a lover of the books, I am really enjoying the new tv show. I'm excited to see the mulefa on screen in season 3!

Ok to add my own, I'm currently reading a series called The Memoirs of Lady Trent by Marie Brennan, but they're better known by the name of the first book: A Natural History of Dragons. From the author's website:
"Set in an alternate world based on our own nineteenth century, the Memoirs of Lady Trent are a five-book series chronicling the adventures and discoveries of Isabella, Lady Trent, renowned dragon naturalist."
Isabella is a pioneering woman scientist studying dragons in a patriarchal society, and her insatiable curiosity inadvertently leads to scandal on more than one occasion. These books have some very cool ideas on how dragon biology, ecology, and evolution might work in the real world.
11667.png xGRdLfg.jpg ws14300rd_thumbnail.jpg m96yKLz.jpg 32990.png
The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell! They have gorgeous art and, while the writing isn't always amazing, the world-building is fantastic. It's a nine-book series made up of three trilogies, with each trilogy taking place in a different generation. It's really amazing to see how the world of the edge grows and changes over the generations.

The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell! They have gorgeous art and, while the writing isn't always amazing, the world-building is fantastic. It's a nine-book series made up of three trilogies, with each trilogy taking place in a different generation. It's really amazing to see how the world of the edge grows and changes over the generations.

v0bd3FH.png •FR +3
•DV: Greylag #19581
Project: Insecticon
Circle of magic by Tamora Pierce! You'd probably be best off getting them online or from a library if you're lucky, as they're old and so also expensive, but they're super good. It's a fascinating magic system and the characters are super human and real, I just love them a whole lot. Those books are actually what my username is from!
Circle of magic by Tamora Pierce! You'd probably be best off getting them online or from a library if you're lucky, as they're old and so also expensive, but they're super good. It's a fascinating magic system and the characters are super human and real, I just love them a whole lot. Those books are actually what my username is from!
8d7c1e3de1d2d2fc6ed079afc5f8446b926665d1.png
So idk if this is well know or not but where I'm from i think one other kid from where i went read this series Ive looked for it at places like half priced books(if you've been there i has question. its hard not to spend a whole paycheck isn't it?) to find on sale copies.

Wings of fire by:Tui T. Sutherland
id kill for the entire set i have few scattered

its about 5 dragonets clay,tsunami,sunny,glory and starflight.The 7 dragon tribe have been at war and these five have been taken from their home and raised underground by the talons of peace they been kept out of the war and being raised for the sole purpose of the prophecy saying they will end they world.

{not gonna lie idk how to word things .also i don't wanna give spoilers for anyone who want to read it}

if you like flight rising you'll like wings of fire

it is a low reading lvl book but they keep coming out with more and im here for it
So idk if this is well know or not but where I'm from i think one other kid from where i went read this series Ive looked for it at places like half priced books(if you've been there i has question. its hard not to spend a whole paycheck isn't it?) to find on sale copies.

Wings of fire by:Tui T. Sutherland
id kill for the entire set i have few scattered

its about 5 dragonets clay,tsunami,sunny,glory and starflight.The 7 dragon tribe have been at war and these five have been taken from their home and raised underground by the talons of peace they been kept out of the war and being raised for the sole purpose of the prophecy saying they will end they world.

{not gonna lie idk how to word things .also i don't wanna give spoilers for anyone who want to read it}

if you like flight rising you'll like wings of fire

it is a low reading lvl book but they keep coming out with more and im here for it

Rbf96Oh.gif
@abaddonkarma
Oh my gosh they are so good. My favorite arcs were the first two. I know like 2-5 people who read them and loved them.
@abaddonkarma
Oh my gosh they are so good. My favorite arcs were the first two. I know like 2-5 people who read them and loved them.
You never truly fail unless you give up.
Rc85s.gif
mdwJU.gif
1CSt0.gif
PzJM3.gif
@Amberfox
ice and rainwings are my favorites
@Amberfox
ice and rainwings are my favorites

Rbf96Oh.gif
uhhh i don't know how many people know of felidae but i love it even tho it's.....weird.

the cartoon movie was popular back in the day in certain circles bc ppl were like "haha nice, cat violence" but the book is kinda hard to get your hands on iirc.
uhhh i don't know how many people know of felidae but i love it even tho it's.....weird.

the cartoon movie was popular back in the day in certain circles bc ppl were like "haha nice, cat violence" but the book is kinda hard to get your hands on iirc.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
Ahhh everyone who said Silverwing/Darkwing, I have amazing memories reading and rereading those books. I'm going to have to find those books again and read them one more time.

I'm unsure how popular or well known this book is, but Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker is a fantastic read.

It's written by a fantastic paleontologist, it's his story of a young female raptor and the things she had to endure 120 million years ago. The books a bit old now, but it's still a good read
Ahhh everyone who said Silverwing/Darkwing, I have amazing memories reading and rereading those books. I'm going to have to find those books again and read them one more time.

I'm unsure how popular or well known this book is, but Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker is a fantastic read.

It's written by a fantastic paleontologist, it's his story of a young female raptor and the things she had to endure 120 million years ago. The books a bit old now, but it's still a good read
Does manga count? If so, then the +Anima series by Natsumi Mukai

I read the entire series a long time ago and it recently resurfaced in my memory, it's about these four children who are human/animal hybrids called +Anima, I don't remember most of the plot details but I might reread it (once I find the series in a library again)

It's definitely worth checking out

Now that I think of it, I might get fandergs of the main characters when I have lair space
Does manga count? If so, then the +Anima series by Natsumi Mukai

I read the entire series a long time ago and it recently resurfaced in my memory, it's about these four children who are human/animal hybrids called +Anima, I don't remember most of the plot details but I might reread it (once I find the series in a library again)

It's definitely worth checking out

Now that I think of it, I might get fandergs of the main characters when I have lair space
Phantom ~ She/Her ~ Ace ~ Formerly ThePhantomWolf/Shiromori
+2 FR Time ~ Final Fantasy and Touhou are my life
Terra%20-%20Victory%20(Front).gifSabin%20-%20Walk%20(Front).gifEdgar%20-%20Finger.gif Terra%20-%20Esper%20-%20Blink%20(Front).gif Setzer%20-%20Finger.gifCeles%20-%20Wink.gifMaria%20-%20Sing.gifLocke%20-%20Laugh.gifRelm%20-%20Wave%20(Front).gif
I'm going to definitely second the Edge Chronicles, Septimus Heap, The Name Of This Book is Secret, the Bartimaeus Trilogy, His Dark Materials, and the Inkheart trilogy (also check out Dragon Rider by the same author!).
Adding (if they haven't already been mentioned): the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, the Vega Jane saga by David Baldacchi, anything by Frances Hardinge, anything young adult by Sita Brahmachari, all of Jacqueline Wilson's work (it's so varied!), the Sands of Arawiya duology by Hafsah Faizal, David Almond's work, the Black Magician trilogy and Age of the Five trilogy by Trudi Canavan (though those are more for older readers and have heavy content), the Green Rider series by Kirsten Britain, Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom and Old Kingdom series, the Seraphina duology by Rachel Hartman, and a whole lot more I can't remember right now! There are just so many underrated books out there.
I'm going to definitely second the Edge Chronicles, Septimus Heap, The Name Of This Book is Secret, the Bartimaeus Trilogy, His Dark Materials, and the Inkheart trilogy (also check out Dragon Rider by the same author!).
Adding (if they haven't already been mentioned): the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, the Vega Jane saga by David Baldacchi, anything by Frances Hardinge, anything young adult by Sita Brahmachari, all of Jacqueline Wilson's work (it's so varied!), the Sands of Arawiya duology by Hafsah Faizal, David Almond's work, the Black Magician trilogy and Age of the Five trilogy by Trudi Canavan (though those are more for older readers and have heavy content), the Green Rider series by Kirsten Britain, Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom and Old Kingdom series, the Seraphina duology by Rachel Hartman, and a whole lot more I can't remember right now! There are just so many underrated books out there.
zdkBiZa.png
1 2 3 4 5 6