Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Underrated or Not-Well-Known Books
1 2 3 4 5 6
The Inquisitor’s Tale by Adam Gidwitz! It’s so good.
The Inquisitor’s Tale by Adam Gidwitz! It’s so good.
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
I love Small Spaces by Katherine Arden and every book after that. They’re just the best.
I love Small Spaces by Katherine Arden and every book after that. They’re just the best.
projects & wishlist
fr + 2
love pings
I've enjoyed Hex Hall, Eon and Eona although I'm not done Eona yet. I normally read books that are not well known so I'm sure I'll be back in due time!
I've enjoyed Hex Hall, Eon and Eona although I'm not done Eona yet. I normally read books that are not well known so I'm sure I'll be back in due time!
heyZH2H.png
9R2Unq1.png
mjtJ868.png
wh3Tiip.png
RtSltil.png
YMPbu9R.png

Welcome to the Forgotten Gale. Every dragon that joins the Gale forgets their past memories and gets new ones, how odd... Click the Lore button to learn more
uz2jkLP.png
The Left Hand of God penned by Paul Hoffman.

A very good book about an isolated boy raised in a religious cult. He escapes to the region's capital with two of his friends and begin to start something of a new life, only before the boys are dragged into a war with the cult and the followers they escaped.

A bit of research will be required to understand if you don't know the book. :)
The Left Hand of God penned by Paul Hoffman.

A very good book about an isolated boy raised in a religious cult. He escapes to the region's capital with two of his friends and begin to start something of a new life, only before the boys are dragged into a war with the cult and the followers they escaped.

A bit of research will be required to understand if you don't know the book. :)
FR + 17 hrs

utk72sy.gif
coH7AEL.png
Anything by John Barth, but particularly The Sot-Weed Factor
Anything by John Barth, but particularly The Sot-Weed Factor
"Darkness still fell upon the cliff and the horn of the new moon vanished in the end behind the window of the wall as into a long-feared shelter in the Earth rich with the frames humility of God's memory and reflections. The stars in the sky shivered as they crawled once more up the fantastic ladder and into the void of themselves. They wondered whose turn would be next to fall from the sky as the last ghost of the crew had died and they alone were left to frame Christ's tree and home."
Here are a few of my favorite books that I recommend to each and everyone who takes the time to read this and needs new material to read. If you have read any of these books- I'd love more people to talk with them about. Just PM me!

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud deserves way more love than it gets. I think a tv show or a movie is in the talks about it though- but in this day and age and the pandemic delaying and mixing everything up, it could very well be stuck in development hell. Funny, well-written and it actually was one of the books that turned my reading-hating husband into an avid reader today. It's so good it made someone who hated reading turn to like reading- let that sink in.

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann is a great series that needs more attention. Fans of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games praise this book. Highly original and immerses you into the world effectively. If you are an artist/writer or a creative type of person in general - this series hinges on that and really makes you feel like you have a place in the world, even if the world is fictional. You will just feel like you belong or someone is listening to you. That may sound weird, but it's a fairly strong series that hits close to home in a lot of places.

Dragonworld by Byron Preiss is an older title that is a lengthy read, but well worth it. Captivating story and respectable world building. I sort of compared it to Lord of the Rings for some reason, but with less walking and more dragons. I like to re-read it once every while. Unlike the rest I am listing, this is a single read and not a series. This book is so unknown that sometimes I feel like the only person who has read it or even knows about it.

The Edge Chronicles
by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. is absolutely a series that needs more positive attention to it. People compare it to Spiderwick Chronicles- and I can see why they would. It has a rich diversity in cast and creatures- very likeable plot and characters with a story so full of twists and hooks that it casts a spell over you to not put it down. The series has some wonderfully distinct art from Riddell.

The Wondla Trilogy by Tony Diterlizzi has the same effect the Edge Chronicles does. The story is such a superb driving plot that it actually hurts to put the book down. I like to tell people this book is what would happen if Wall-E, Alice in Wonderland and Star Wars had a baby together. It is another favorite of mine- Diterlizzi's fantastic art is matched by his writing skills. I think a show is being adapted for this and will release on Apple TV last I heard.

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede is a good one. The name might be A bit confusing because every book has "Dragon" in the title (first book is Dealing with Dragons, second is Searching for Dragons, etc.) But the official name of the series is Enchanted Forest Chronicles. It features a new twist on an old legend with an archetype. Refreshing, full of memorable original moments, humorous and has likeable characters! The books are quite short too, less than 300 pages. Dragon lovers are strongly encouraged to check this one out.

(Edit:// Slept on it and realized I forgot one!)
Here are a few of my favorite books that I recommend to each and everyone who takes the time to read this and needs new material to read. If you have read any of these books- I'd love more people to talk with them about. Just PM me!

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud deserves way more love than it gets. I think a tv show or a movie is in the talks about it though- but in this day and age and the pandemic delaying and mixing everything up, it could very well be stuck in development hell. Funny, well-written and it actually was one of the books that turned my reading-hating husband into an avid reader today. It's so good it made someone who hated reading turn to like reading- let that sink in.

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann is a great series that needs more attention. Fans of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games praise this book. Highly original and immerses you into the world effectively. If you are an artist/writer or a creative type of person in general - this series hinges on that and really makes you feel like you have a place in the world, even if the world is fictional. You will just feel like you belong or someone is listening to you. That may sound weird, but it's a fairly strong series that hits close to home in a lot of places.

Dragonworld by Byron Preiss is an older title that is a lengthy read, but well worth it. Captivating story and respectable world building. I sort of compared it to Lord of the Rings for some reason, but with less walking and more dragons. I like to re-read it once every while. Unlike the rest I am listing, this is a single read and not a series. This book is so unknown that sometimes I feel like the only person who has read it or even knows about it.

The Edge Chronicles
by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. is absolutely a series that needs more positive attention to it. People compare it to Spiderwick Chronicles- and I can see why they would. It has a rich diversity in cast and creatures- very likeable plot and characters with a story so full of twists and hooks that it casts a spell over you to not put it down. The series has some wonderfully distinct art from Riddell.

The Wondla Trilogy by Tony Diterlizzi has the same effect the Edge Chronicles does. The story is such a superb driving plot that it actually hurts to put the book down. I like to tell people this book is what would happen if Wall-E, Alice in Wonderland and Star Wars had a baby together. It is another favorite of mine- Diterlizzi's fantastic art is matched by his writing skills. I think a show is being adapted for this and will release on Apple TV last I heard.

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede is a good one. The name might be A bit confusing because every book has "Dragon" in the title (first book is Dealing with Dragons, second is Searching for Dragons, etc.) But the official name of the series is Enchanted Forest Chronicles. It features a new twist on an old legend with an archetype. Refreshing, full of memorable original moments, humorous and has likeable characters! The books are quite short too, less than 300 pages. Dragon lovers are strongly encouraged to check this one out.

(Edit:// Slept on it and realized I forgot one!)
I've read some books that I'd like to say are underrated.

First, the Summer King Chronicles by Jess E. Owen. It's about a griffon named Rashard (AKA Shard) who is the son of the king of the Vanir Clan, Baldr, who died in the ocean. There are two kinds of griffons; Vanir and Aesir. The Aesir conquered the Vanir and some fled into the unknown and became rogues while those that remained were forced under the Aesir royal family's rulership, the Red King, Sverin. His son, Kjorn is Shard's best friend and bloodbrother. Shard runs into a wolf named Catori, who recognizes him as the Vanir Prince and the one who would reunite the Vanir and rebuild their kingdom. It's only four books long and has mini book afterwards with three short stories as well. It's an interesting story. It also has dragons in it. Two kinds actually, the Wyrms; which are giant mindless beasts, and then the Sunland Dragons; which are dragons that take on the more Eastern dragon look. Also, they only live a year......I'm not joking. Sunland Dragons only live for a single year. It's pretty gut-wrenching when Shard eventually finds and raises one named Hikaru.

Wolves of the Beyond by Kathryn Lasky. Yes, this series is made by the same woman who created Guardians of Ga'Hoole. Not only that, it takes place within the Ga'Hoole universe after the events of the original Guardians books. The protagonist is a young wolf named Faolan, who was born with a deformed paw, and because he is deformed, he is considered a Malcadh or "cursed one." The Obea (infertile she-wolf who is tasked with carrying these pups to their place to die) takes him to a river, but survives and is found/raised by a bear named Thunderheart. After Thunderheart goes missing, he searches for her only to find her killed from a landslide. He joins the McDuncan Pack after he proves himself worthy when they mistaken him for a rabid wolf. So much more happens, but I'll leave that for you to find out. It's really good.

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George. This trilogy is....interesting, but I found it quite enjoyable. It follows the normal cliches of a fairy tale, but takes kind of a unique turn. A girl named Creel is sacrificed by her aunt (against her will, mind you) to a dragon in hopes a prince would come and save/marry her so the family can get rich. Thing is....Creel bargains her way out of this. The dragon, Theoradus, decides he's too old for this and agrees if she leaves and makes sure the prince doesn't barge into his home and kill him, she can take something from his hoard. The thing is, he doesn't hoard gold. He hoards shoes, and she picks a pair of slippers made out of blue dragon scales. She eventually encounters another dragon named Shardas and the two become close friends. It's later revealed Shardas is the King of all Dragons and the slippers that she wears are made out of his mate's scales and can control dragons. It's weird, but in a good way.

I've read some books that I'd like to say are underrated.

First, the Summer King Chronicles by Jess E. Owen. It's about a griffon named Rashard (AKA Shard) who is the son of the king of the Vanir Clan, Baldr, who died in the ocean. There are two kinds of griffons; Vanir and Aesir. The Aesir conquered the Vanir and some fled into the unknown and became rogues while those that remained were forced under the Aesir royal family's rulership, the Red King, Sverin. His son, Kjorn is Shard's best friend and bloodbrother. Shard runs into a wolf named Catori, who recognizes him as the Vanir Prince and the one who would reunite the Vanir and rebuild their kingdom. It's only four books long and has mini book afterwards with three short stories as well. It's an interesting story. It also has dragons in it. Two kinds actually, the Wyrms; which are giant mindless beasts, and then the Sunland Dragons; which are dragons that take on the more Eastern dragon look. Also, they only live a year......I'm not joking. Sunland Dragons only live for a single year. It's pretty gut-wrenching when Shard eventually finds and raises one named Hikaru.

Wolves of the Beyond by Kathryn Lasky. Yes, this series is made by the same woman who created Guardians of Ga'Hoole. Not only that, it takes place within the Ga'Hoole universe after the events of the original Guardians books. The protagonist is a young wolf named Faolan, who was born with a deformed paw, and because he is deformed, he is considered a Malcadh or "cursed one." The Obea (infertile she-wolf who is tasked with carrying these pups to their place to die) takes him to a river, but survives and is found/raised by a bear named Thunderheart. After Thunderheart goes missing, he searches for her only to find her killed from a landslide. He joins the McDuncan Pack after he proves himself worthy when they mistaken him for a rabid wolf. So much more happens, but I'll leave that for you to find out. It's really good.

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George. This trilogy is....interesting, but I found it quite enjoyable. It follows the normal cliches of a fairy tale, but takes kind of a unique turn. A girl named Creel is sacrificed by her aunt (against her will, mind you) to a dragon in hopes a prince would come and save/marry her so the family can get rich. Thing is....Creel bargains her way out of this. The dragon, Theoradus, decides he's too old for this and agrees if she leaves and makes sure the prince doesn't barge into his home and kill him, she can take something from his hoard. The thing is, he doesn't hoard gold. He hoards shoes, and she picks a pair of slippers made out of blue dragon scales. She eventually encounters another dragon named Shardas and the two become close friends. It's later revealed Shardas is the King of all Dragons and the slippers that she wears are made out of his mate's scales and can control dragons. It's weird, but in a good way.

OuDych9.png (c)UserOfShadows
The Dealing With Dragons series by Patricia Wrede is one of my favorites. Just such a funny and sarcastic fantasy series!

Including but not limited to: a princess who hates being a princess so she runs away to be a dragon’s princess, dragon society, wizard conspiracies, a stone price, and a sarcastic witch
The Dealing With Dragons series by Patricia Wrede is one of my favorites. Just such a funny and sarcastic fantasy series!

Including but not limited to: a princess who hates being a princess so she runs away to be a dragon’s princess, dragon society, wizard conspiracies, a stone price, and a sarcastic witch
unknown.png
idk if anyone's read it but the Alchemyst series.

the one with the siblings who go on a journey and eventually end up fulfilling something.

Josh and Sophie Newman, the names of the lead characters...
idk if anyone's read it but the Alchemyst series.

the one with the siblings who go on a journey and eventually end up fulfilling something.

Josh and Sophie Newman, the names of the lead characters...
The Edge Chronicles have already been named, but I second that notion.
His Dark Materials has become a bit more well known as of late,
but also the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix
and The Abyss Surrounds Us series by Emily Skrutskie.
The Edge Chronicles have already been named, but I second that notion.
His Dark Materials has become a bit more well known as of late,
but also the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix
and The Abyss Surrounds Us series by Emily Skrutskie.
tumblr_inline_pstgarDqq51tc3swm_75sq.png tumblr_inline_pstgas05kl1tc3swm_75sq.pngzuKl4tj.pngtumblr_inline_p409qnf9Wx1tc3swm_540.pngtumblr_inline_p40r5mKIGh1tc3swm_540.png tumblr_inline_p3ylp2Quz91tc3swm_540.pngsmolsnek.png y6Tz96p.png lM0v4sB.pnge303f6ae-68b9-11eb-b911-5de944b9d8e8.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6