Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Horrible books you've read?
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Honestly this might because I was too young when I read it but a sweet old lady gifted ACOTAR to me when I was in middle school (apparently the book store author recommended it as a popular book for teen girls) and I was reminded of it recently when my sister found it in my room (Tried to keep spoilers at a minimum but here goes)

Yeah anyways just gonna rant about all my issues with the book cuz why not
  • main character is not the brightest but I think everyone knows that
  • Like 50% of the book is unbearably boring
  • The villain's plan is such a mess like just kill her why are you going through with this whole stupid riddle and trials like don't you hate humans
  • The riddle is literally so easy when the main character starts thinking about various diseases as possibly the solution I was torn between slamming my head on the table and laughing
  • apparenly the guy who DRUGS the girl and forces her to do somewhat questionable things while drugged becomes the main love interest later in the series??? HUH????? Look I don't care how good his justification was (although it really isn't) that's not ok

At least looking for book reviews to see if anyone else felt the same way introduced me to the YouTuber withCindy a few years later, who is pretty entertaining

I can see why ACOTAR and the series might be appealing to some people (and I know some people who do like it), but it really isn't for me.
Honestly this might because I was too young when I read it but a sweet old lady gifted ACOTAR to me when I was in middle school (apparently the book store author recommended it as a popular book for teen girls) and I was reminded of it recently when my sister found it in my room (Tried to keep spoilers at a minimum but here goes)

Yeah anyways just gonna rant about all my issues with the book cuz why not
  • main character is not the brightest but I think everyone knows that
  • Like 50% of the book is unbearably boring
  • The villain's plan is such a mess like just kill her why are you going through with this whole stupid riddle and trials like don't you hate humans
  • The riddle is literally so easy when the main character starts thinking about various diseases as possibly the solution I was torn between slamming my head on the table and laughing
  • apparenly the guy who DRUGS the girl and forces her to do somewhat questionable things while drugged becomes the main love interest later in the series??? HUH????? Look I don't care how good his justification was (although it really isn't) that's not ok

At least looking for book reviews to see if anyone else felt the same way introduced me to the YouTuber withCindy a few years later, who is pretty entertaining

I can see why ACOTAR and the series might be appealing to some people (and I know some people who do like it), but it really isn't for me.
Hello! I love birds and music. And also science. zuKl4tj.png HQsa6bD.png
i'd have to say Negative Space by B.R. Yeager. I'm a huge horror fan and it was supposed to be messed up, right? I knew what I was in for.
UnfORTUNATELY, it was so goshdarn depressing, that when i finished i wrote a mundane review on it and the author liked it.. big yikes.

but seriously, so depressing, the main characters were friggin' deranged.
again i know thats the whole point of the book, but still.

Honorable mention to The Lords of Salem by Rob Zombie. supposed to be messed up, but i found it B O R I N G as all heck.
i'd have to say Negative Space by B.R. Yeager. I'm a huge horror fan and it was supposed to be messed up, right? I knew what I was in for.
UnfORTUNATELY, it was so goshdarn depressing, that when i finished i wrote a mundane review on it and the author liked it.. big yikes.

but seriously, so depressing, the main characters were friggin' deranged.
again i know thats the whole point of the book, but still.

Honorable mention to The Lords of Salem by Rob Zombie. supposed to be messed up, but i found it B O R I N G as all heck.
gfCdYdH.gif hana . 24 . she / her .
fr time + 2

wishlist / quest
lore
___ ________________________________
okay so, calling it horrible would be a bit much, but there was this book series i was VERY into when i was in middle school called the House of Night series. a vampire series. teenage vampires with a lot of wattpad-level romance and love triangles. reading it now at the age of 21 makes me shiver because of how much it sounds like someone's fanfiction. i still think fondly of the series despite all that because i remember being so excited to read the next book after i finished one. with the amount of you-know-what scenes with excruciating detail, im surprised that my MIDDLE SCHOOL had the entire series available to my weird emo self
okay so, calling it horrible would be a bit much, but there was this book series i was VERY into when i was in middle school called the House of Night series. a vampire series. teenage vampires with a lot of wattpad-level romance and love triangles. reading it now at the age of 21 makes me shiver because of how much it sounds like someone's fanfiction. i still think fondly of the series despite all that because i remember being so excited to read the next book after i finished one. with the amount of you-know-what scenes with excruciating detail, im surprised that my MIDDLE SCHOOL had the entire series available to my weird emo self
This YA fantasy book called Storm Siren that might have been self-published. All I remember about it is that the plot took forever to get moving and that it overall read like a teenager wrote it.
This YA fantasy book called Storm Siren that might have been self-published. All I remember about it is that the plot took forever to get moving and that it overall read like a teenager wrote it.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
Oh gosh let's see...

I DESPISED The Things They Carried for very personal reasons. It was assigned reading, and while I could go on forever about why I hated it, I'll sum it up. I do realize it's a war book, I do. And call me sensitive all you like, but the horrible pessimism, racism, language, animal abuse, and descriptions of horribly graphic violence were impossible to get through.

And the point of it all? That's just it. There was none. War is bad, I guess? Yeah thanks, guy, I didn't need to read about the most sickening and disturbing scene of animal cruelty I've ever seen to know that. It acted like it was making some profound and beautiful point through pure grit and realism, but do you know what I think? Any other war story would do that better.

Boring, miserable read.
Oh gosh let's see...

I DESPISED The Things They Carried for very personal reasons. It was assigned reading, and while I could go on forever about why I hated it, I'll sum it up. I do realize it's a war book, I do. And call me sensitive all you like, but the horrible pessimism, racism, language, animal abuse, and descriptions of horribly graphic violence were impossible to get through.

And the point of it all? That's just it. There was none. War is bad, I guess? Yeah thanks, guy, I didn't need to read about the most sickening and disturbing scene of animal cruelty I've ever seen to know that. It acted like it was making some profound and beautiful point through pure grit and realism, but do you know what I think? Any other war story would do that better.

Boring, miserable read.

Call me Max!
Wishlist
Lore
10ttDG2.png

P2OauAq.png
OxagJgG.png

cVPo4yi.png
72733313.png trLi2py.png
I really didn't like the book Fahrenheit 451....it's been 5+ years since I read it in highschool, but I remember absolutely hating it. It was just very boring and slow to me, from what I remember
I really didn't like the book Fahrenheit 451....it's been 5+ years since I read it in highschool, but I remember absolutely hating it. It was just very boring and slow to me, from what I remember

1qSQ4Z1.gif
NN9NPXA.pngRDt6LqI.pngbYt72YT.png
2SPT1Mh.pngeIK5iG7.png
ZqTATLu.png
plaguebringer.png
[quote name="HappyAccidents" date="2021-04-30 15:38:20" ] Oh gosh let's see... I DESPISED The Things They Carried for very personal reasons. It was assigned reading, and while I could go on forever about why I hated it, I'll sum it up. I do realize it's a war book, I do. And call me sensitive all you like, but the horrible pessimism, racism, language, animal abuse, and descriptions of horribly graphic violence were impossible to get through. And the point of it all? That's just it. There was none. War is bad, I guess? Yeah thanks, guy, I didn't need to read about the most sickening and disturbing scene of animal cruelty I've ever seen to know that. It acted like it was making some profound and beautiful point through pure grit and realism, but do you know what I think? Any other war story would do that better. Boring, miserable read. [/quote] Yeah I distinctly remember having to read that book for an English class and hating it. The graphic descriptions of the bad stuff were just a lot to handle, and while I think to some degree it's good that people know the realities of war, I already had a good idea and didn't really need it beaten into me lmao.
HappyAccidents wrote on 2021-04-30 15:38:20:
Oh gosh let's see...

Boring, miserable read.
Yeah I distinctly remember having to read that book for an English class and hating it. The graphic descriptions of the bad stuff were just a lot to handle, and while I think to some degree it's good that people know the realities of war, I already had a good idea and didn't really need it beaten into me lmao.
lightningshieldl.png ePOliyb.png
Oo1lWlZ.png
QQYyU47.png
gYW0j5f.png
FObX7rS.png
rix3ppo.png
Zeke/KitKat
lightninganim3.gif
6KQB58c.png
G5AOhhN.png
cTFAUOc.png
oaolHwW.png
1AKTlm5.png
qFgWn8o.png
GFMPnvG.png
lightningshieldr.png
As a kid, I was a voracious reader and I honestly just read anything and everything I could get my hands on. The only books I would say are the Divergent series of books (read those because I literally had nothing else to read, during and after the second book it got kinda tedious to me) and the book The Curious Incident of a Dog in the Nighttime, but for that one it's just personal issues and stuff.
As a kid, I was a voracious reader and I honestly just read anything and everything I could get my hands on. The only books I would say are the Divergent series of books (read those because I literally had nothing else to read, during and after the second book it got kinda tedious to me) and the book The Curious Incident of a Dog in the Nighttime, but for that one it's just personal issues and stuff.
sQMcqHN.pngmlHpBMC.pngMrw4w2X.png
Eragon, obviously.

100% trash. Badly written, awful story, awful characters, horribly edited. Sure, it was written by a teen and you know what? IT SHOWS. And doesn't excuse poor editing. Pure nepotism got that garbage published.

Also The Poppy War and The Dragon Republic by RF Kuang. Horrendous. All of the characters are amazingly unpleasant, the writing is sub-par and it's so obviously, painfully derivative that I think the author needs to have The Last Airbender removed from her possession before she just files the serial numbers off Zuko and inserts him in wholesale.

Worse, it was recommended by an author I actually like. Blech.
Eragon, obviously.

100% trash. Badly written, awful story, awful characters, horribly edited. Sure, it was written by a teen and you know what? IT SHOWS. And doesn't excuse poor editing. Pure nepotism got that garbage published.

Also The Poppy War and The Dragon Republic by RF Kuang. Horrendous. All of the characters are amazingly unpleasant, the writing is sub-par and it's so obviously, painfully derivative that I think the author needs to have The Last Airbender removed from her possession before she just files the serial numbers off Zuko and inserts him in wholesale.

Worse, it was recommended by an author I actually like. Blech.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
[quote name="Shian" date="2021-04-29 06:10:45" ] Then, years later, I had the same experience with the Homestuck comic. I just kept reading, hoping it would get better. So many people love this? It has to get interesting at some point?! I think I gave up after 400-something pages. [/quote] Oh no, that sucks, I'm so sorry you went through 400+ pages of it! What I was told back when I was introduced to it was to read the first two acts, and if you're not hooked by the end of act 2, it's not for you. Oh and you read so much of it, I feel so bad, that's a LOT of HS to force yourself to get through if you're not into it. >_< [quote name="slumberingweald" date="2021-04-29 07:01:25" ] anyway, worst book i've ever read is, unsurprisingly, an assigned reading book, specifically The Outsiders. genuinely one of the most generic, boring books i've read. [/quote] Interesting. I think this is the first book listed in this thread that I genuinely enjoyed (not just thought 'eh it was okay'). At least as a kid I liked it; haven't gone back and re-read it or anything, but I tend not to re-read books. Having said that, I do remember I enjoyed Rumble Fish a lot more. [s]For my eighth grade English exam the assignment was just to write A Thing and naturally I wrote some Rumble Fish fanfiction because even back then I knew what I was about[/s]
Shian wrote on 2021-04-29 06:10:45:
Then, years later, I had the same experience with the Homestuck comic. I just kept reading, hoping it would get better. So many people love this? It has to get interesting at some point?! I think I gave up after 400-something pages.
Oh no, that sucks, I'm so sorry you went through 400+ pages of it! What I was told back when I was introduced to it was to read the first two acts, and if you're not hooked by the end of act 2, it's not for you. Oh and you read so much of it, I feel so bad, that's a LOT of HS to force yourself to get through if you're not into it. >_<
slumberingweald wrote on 2021-04-29 07:01:25:
anyway, worst book i've ever read is, unsurprisingly, an assigned reading book, specifically The Outsiders. genuinely one of the most generic, boring books i've read.
Interesting. I think this is the first book listed in this thread that I genuinely enjoyed (not just thought 'eh it was okay'). At least as a kid I liked it; haven't gone back and re-read it or anything, but I tend not to re-read books. Having said that, I do remember I enjoyed Rumble Fish a lot more. For my eighth grade English exam the assignment was just to write A Thing and naturally I wrote some Rumble Fish fanfiction because even back then I knew what I was about
xxxxxxxxxx 0Srkgnv.gif NkoiOuv.gif Gwrjw2w.gif JQCpKiY.gif
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18