Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Speculative evolution, anyone?
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62
With Splatoon 3 on the horizon I'm once again obsessed with the franchise... and found a blog going in detail of inkling/octoling biology. It's very well written and plausible. I think you guys might enjoy this too: https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20theory

Edit: This tag has more posts: https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20biology%20musings
With Splatoon 3 on the horizon I'm once again obsessed with the franchise... and found a blog going in detail of inkling/octoling biology. It's very well written and plausible. I think you guys might enjoy this too: https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20theory

Edit: This tag has more posts: https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20biology%20musings
[quote name="Gryphling" date="2022-04-22 18:38:59" ] I just discovered the Quintaglio Ascention trilogy (written by Robert J. Sawyer in the early 90's) and it absolutely belongs here. The premise is that space-faring extraterrestrials abducted a handful of dinosaur species and dropped them off on a gas giant's habitable moon, saving them from the Chicxulub meteor impact. The descendants of T. rex evolved sentience and a civilization, and the books begin at an era in their history that most closely resembles the human Renaissance. The characters are meant to be saurian analogs to Galileo Galilei, Charles Darwin, and Sigmund Freud. It's so campy but in a way that is apparently my jam. [/quote] Ok, so I'm on the second book and it delves a lot deeper into speculative evolution. The animals on the mainland haven't changed much from the prehistoric reptiles we know and love, but when the Quintaglios make a voyage to the south pole they discover some weird and wild variations on a familiar beast. Not to mention the backstory of the aliens that saved them from the meteor. ;)
Gryphling wrote on 2022-04-22 18:38:59:
I just discovered the Quintaglio Ascention trilogy (written by Robert J. Sawyer in the early 90's) and it absolutely belongs here. The premise is that space-faring extraterrestrials abducted a handful of dinosaur species and dropped them off on a gas giant's habitable moon, saving them from the Chicxulub meteor impact. The descendants of T. rex evolved sentience and a civilization, and the books begin at an era in their history that most closely resembles the human Renaissance. The characters are meant to be saurian analogs to Galileo Galilei, Charles Darwin, and Sigmund Freud. It's so campy but in a way that is apparently my jam.

Ok, so I'm on the second book and it delves a lot deeper into speculative evolution. The animals on the mainland haven't changed much from the prehistoric reptiles we know and love, but when the Quintaglios make a voyage to the south pole they discover some weird and wild variations on a familiar beast. Not to mention the backstory of the aliens that saved them from the meteor. ;)
11667.png xGRdLfg.jpg ws14300rd_thumbnail.jpg m96yKLz.jpg 32990.png
[quote name="Xionahri" date="2022-08-18 11:11:46" ] With Splatoon 3 on the horizon I'm once again obsessed with the franchise... and found a blog going in detail of inkling/octoling biology. It's very well written and plausible. I think you guys might enjoy this too: https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20theory [/quote] "I think we can all agree that Inklings are, at least to a degree, warm-blooded. But what does that mean? Let’s have a look:" ohhh this is fascinating right away though ill have to start reaidng from the beginning the "look when I love a franchise I overanalyze its biology" tag on the first post is a MOOD edit: this tag may have more? https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20biology%20musings
Xionahri wrote on 2022-08-18 11:11:46:
"I think we can all agree that Inklings are, at least to a degree, warm-blooded. But what does that mean? Let’s have a look:" ohhh this is fascinating right away though ill have to start reaidng from the beginning

the "look when I love a franchise I overanalyze its biology" tag on the first post is a MOOD

edit: this tag may have more? https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20biology%20musings
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
[quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2022-08-18 11:47:01" ] the "look when I love a franchise I overanalyze its biology" tag on the first post is a MOOD [/quote] Yeah, very relatable. [quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2022-08-18 11:47:01" ] edit: this tag may have more? https://nintendoteuthis.tumblr.com/tagged/splatoon%20biology%20musings [/quote] Ohhh, there's a lot more under that tag. Thanks! Editing my post above.
PixelSpiral wrote on 2022-08-18 11:47:01:
the "look when I love a franchise I overanalyze its biology" tag on the first post is a MOOD

Yeah, very relatable.
PixelSpiral wrote on 2022-08-18 11:47:01:

Ohhh, there's a lot more under that tag. Thanks! Editing my post above.
@DriftingDreams If you wanted to get really really into it, you could map out your continents, tectonic plates, wind cells, ocean currents, and biomes to get an idea of what climates are where on your world along with a possible geologic history that could affect evolution. Artefaxian has many videos covering the basics of building a world like that.

However, that takes an astronomical amount of work. Another method you could try is creating your base organism. On Earth the general idea is that one or two plant species made landfall, followed by invertebrates, and the ancestor of all vertebrates called tiktaalik crawled onto land. Tiktaalik's body plan became the basis of all vertebrate life afterwards, primarily the four-limb structure. You can determine how many legs a tree of animals on your world has by starting there(and you could go further if you wanted).

I also recommend Biblaridion's Alien Biosphere project for idea generation. Plus you learn a lot about biology in his videos.
@DriftingDreams If you wanted to get really really into it, you could map out your continents, tectonic plates, wind cells, ocean currents, and biomes to get an idea of what climates are where on your world along with a possible geologic history that could affect evolution. Artefaxian has many videos covering the basics of building a world like that.

However, that takes an astronomical amount of work. Another method you could try is creating your base organism. On Earth the general idea is that one or two plant species made landfall, followed by invertebrates, and the ancestor of all vertebrates called tiktaalik crawled onto land. Tiktaalik's body plan became the basis of all vertebrate life afterwards, primarily the four-limb structure. You can determine how many legs a tree of animals on your world has by starting there(and you could go further if you wanted).

I also recommend Biblaridion's Alien Biosphere project for idea generation. Plus you learn a lot about biology in his videos.
[quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2022-08-18 06:25:23" ] ive been binging [url=https://tribbetherium.tumblr.com/post/640506908600631296/the-rodentocene-era-1-25-million-years]hamsters paradise[/url] (edit: i should warn it gets rather gorey at some point) and it took a bit of a while to pick up but im enjoying it so far. currently reading the latter half of glaciocene and ooogh (positive) edit: wow this got emotional edit 2: holy crap??????? edit 3: Pi-Pipipupu is kind of a funny name [/quote] i got to the point where the hamsters which convergently evolved into lizards now convegently evolved into butterflies that fly with their hair. this is incredible and so fun
PixelSpiral wrote on 2022-08-18 06:25:23:
ive been binging hamsters paradise (edit: i should warn it gets rather gorey at some point) and it took a bit of a while to pick up but im enjoying it so far. currently reading the latter half of glaciocene and ooogh (positive)

edit: wow this got emotional
edit 2: holy crap???????
edit 3: Pi-Pipipupu is kind of a funny name
i got to the point where the hamsters which convergently evolved into lizards now convegently evolved into butterflies that fly with their hair. this is incredible and so fun
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
[quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2022-08-23 07:44:22" ] [quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2022-08-18 06:25:23" ] ive been binging [url=https://tribbetherium.tumblr.com/post/640506908600631296/the-rodentocene-era-1-25-million-years]hamsters paradise[/url] (edit: i should warn it gets rather gorey at some point) and it took a bit of a while to pick up but im enjoying it so far. currently reading the latter half of glaciocene and ooogh (positive) edit: wow this got emotional edit 2: holy crap??????? edit 3: Pi-Pipipupu is kind of a funny name [/quote] i got to the point where the hamsters which convergently evolved into lizards now convegently evolved into butterflies that fly with their hair. this is incredible and so fun [/quote] Sorry, where can I read this? Have to see this now.
PixelSpiral wrote on 2022-08-23 07:44:22:
PixelSpiral wrote on 2022-08-18 06:25:23:
ive been binging hamsters paradise (edit: i should warn it gets rather gorey at some point) and it took a bit of a while to pick up but im enjoying it so far. currently reading the latter half of glaciocene and ooogh (positive)

edit: wow this got emotional
edit 2: holy crap???????
edit 3: Pi-Pipipupu is kind of a funny name
i got to the point where the hamsters which convergently evolved into lizards now convegently evolved into butterflies that fly with their hair. this is incredible and so fun

Sorry, where can I read this? Have to see this now.
drink_a_chair_fr.png
i linked it in the post itself
i linked it in the post itself
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Okay, I haven’t found any good resources on the Internet so I have come here for answers:

Would it be possible for an archosaur (closely related to dinosaurs) to evolve iridescent or otherwise colorful scales (not feathers)? Also, while we’re at it, could they evolve venom?
Okay, I haven’t found any good resources on the Internet so I have come here for answers:

Would it be possible for an archosaur (closely related to dinosaurs) to evolve iridescent or otherwise colorful scales (not feathers)? Also, while we’re at it, could they evolve venom?
oJK1fXV.png
I've only read all tomorrows and a bit of rust and humus (gotta finish it, i think it could be classified as spec evo?) using this thread to find more tho
I've only read all tomorrows and a bit of rust and humus (gotta finish it, i think it could be classified as spec evo?) using this thread to find more tho
1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62