Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Speculative evolution, anyone?
1 2 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 61 62
@LoversMasque Yeah. I like that they’re so whiskery because real equine really are bristled and I think it’s cute when horses do that chin wiggle and their whiskers twitch, not quite like a cat or a rabbit but kind of similar, you know? [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O89Zw4RN9So/maxresdefault.jpg[/img] Vanners and shires can also grow ‘staches . Generally, I don’t like the idea of having a horse that needs handle bar mustache wax/trims, though, lol.
@LoversMasque
Yeah. I like that they’re so whiskery because real equine really are bristled and I think it’s cute when horses do that chin wiggle and their whiskers twitch, not quite like a cat or a rabbit but kind of similar, you know?

maxresdefault.jpg
Vanners and shires can also grow ‘staches . Generally, I don’t like the idea of having a horse that needs handle bar mustache wax/trims, though, lol.
[quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2022-05-27 13:20:35" ] ive reread through all the posts on that tag from jay eaton's blog twice [/quote] well thrice now because i did it AGAIN babey ! i also love the worldbuilding that isnt necessarily related to the biology stuff itself its all super fun i still also love this post in particular [quote]Also has anyone thought about how much less neotenic celestia is than her subjects Its like if, if humans had some living god-queen who was 12 feet tall, had loooong arms and legs, and had a neanderthallic or ape-like face That actually sounds amazing. All hail the giant ape queen[/quote]
PixelSpiral wrote on 2022-05-27 13:20:35:
ive reread through all the posts on that tag from jay eaton's blog twice
well thrice now because i did it AGAIN babey ! i also love the worldbuilding that isnt necessarily related to the biology stuff itself its all super fun
i still also love this post in particular
Quote:
Also has anyone thought about how much less neotenic celestia is than her subjects

Its like if, if humans had some living god-queen who was 12 feet tall, had loooong arms and legs, and had a neanderthallic or ape-like face

That actually sounds amazing. All hail the giant ape queen
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
So a giant orangutan?
So a giant orangutan?
(Copypasted from the Xenofiction thread. I thought you all might be able to help since this thread is more active, even though this is not strictly about spec evo and more about sci-fi/fictional creature writing in general)

Does anyone have tips for writing an alien planet? I'm good with the worldbuilding and everything, but I am having some trouble with the actual writing since I am inventing names and appearances for all of the alien lifeforms, but I don't how to get readers to remember which one is which based on the names alone without repeating (parts of) the description of the creature over and over again. I also don't want to make the descriptions too long-winded, since there are quite a lot of creatures and the protagonists are already familiar with most of them (so it would be weird for them to describe a creature like it's their first time seeing it). If it were from the POV of humans, that would be one thing, since I could compare the creatures to Earth animals (since most of them are inspired by Earth fauna); however, I am writing from the POV of aliens native to the planet.
(Copypasted from the Xenofiction thread. I thought you all might be able to help since this thread is more active, even though this is not strictly about spec evo and more about sci-fi/fictional creature writing in general)

Does anyone have tips for writing an alien planet? I'm good with the worldbuilding and everything, but I am having some trouble with the actual writing since I am inventing names and appearances for all of the alien lifeforms, but I don't how to get readers to remember which one is which based on the names alone without repeating (parts of) the description of the creature over and over again. I also don't want to make the descriptions too long-winded, since there are quite a lot of creatures and the protagonists are already familiar with most of them (so it would be weird for them to describe a creature like it's their first time seeing it). If it were from the POV of humans, that would be one thing, since I could compare the creatures to Earth animals (since most of them are inspired by Earth fauna); however, I am writing from the POV of aliens native to the planet.
oJK1fXV.png
@DriftingDreams
I’m not sure.
I guess from the Endling series, it really wasn’t hard to follow that “Felivets” are the large catlike people, because feli, feline, felis... so cat people.
In the Dark Crystal series you have Gobbles which you know gobble things and Land Striders which are also pretty much what their name says.
I’m not sure that helps?

Also playing with sounds:

Sarlacc just sounds like a big pit monster.

Where as something more whimsical like Fizzgig sounds like something people would keep as a pet.

Gruenack are enslaved pitiful beings and their name matches somehow with that idea.

Bantha are basically Star Wars answer for yaks.

@DriftingDreams
I’m not sure.
I guess from the Endling series, it really wasn’t hard to follow that “Felivets” are the large catlike people, because feli, feline, felis... so cat people.
In the Dark Crystal series you have Gobbles which you know gobble things and Land Striders which are also pretty much what their name says.
I’m not sure that helps?

Also playing with sounds:

Sarlacc just sounds like a big pit monster.

Where as something more whimsical like Fizzgig sounds like something people would keep as a pet.

Gruenack are enslaved pitiful beings and their name matches somehow with that idea.

Bantha are basically Star Wars answer for yaks.

new alien biospheres vid later today !!!! in around 7-8 hours
new alien biospheres vid later today !!!! in around 7-8 hours
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
How do you get started with learning about speculative evolution? I want to do some projects of my own for a story I'm working on :0
How do you get started with learning about speculative evolution? I want to do some projects of my own for a story I'm working on :0
b065060143a532a7052f46bdd08dbeb4dcc5f25d.jpg
@puppypropaganda what happened for me was I started with regular biology, got way too deep into it and then applied the concepts I learned to fiction. Whenever I find something I need to know more about - say, for example, I need to figure out how thermoregulation works - I go on a big googling tour [emoji=skydancer laughing size=1]
@puppypropaganda what happened for me was I started with regular biology, got way too deep into it and then applied the concepts I learned to fiction. Whenever I find something I need to know more about - say, for example, I need to figure out how thermoregulation works - I go on a big googling tour
I will
give you DRAGONS for MONEY
HQevuOP.png Sell me
your
dragons!

(Anyone got an XXX tarnish G1?)
I have this really weird ability to know made up terms easily when reading/hearing about fantasy biology/evolution - like for the term in the last post, thermoregulation is about regulating body heat. I'm just like that.

Someone throw me another term, I'll try to guess it!
I have this really weird ability to know made up terms easily when reading/hearing about fantasy biology/evolution - like for the term in the last post, thermoregulation is about regulating body heat. I'm just like that.

Someone throw me another term, I'll try to guess it!
drink_a_chair_fr.png
ive been binging hamsters paradise (edit: i should warn it gets rather gorey at some point) and it took a bit of a while to pick up but im enjoying it so far. currently reading the latter half of glaciocene and ooogh (positive)

edit: wow this got emotional
edit 2: holy crap???????
edit 3: Pi-Pipipupu is kind of a funny name
ive been binging hamsters paradise (edit: i should warn it gets rather gorey at some point) and it took a bit of a while to pick up but im enjoying it so far. currently reading the latter half of glaciocene and ooogh (positive)

edit: wow this got emotional
edit 2: holy crap???????
edit 3: Pi-Pipipupu is kind of a funny name
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
1 2 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 61 62