Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Hated Phrases or Figures of Speech
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16
@GingaSnap

You play the banjo? That's amazing! You're cooler than all those people, I'm sure.

My ukulele gets called a tiny guitar a lot. I can't tell you how many times people have asked if I actually know how to play anything other than riptide. Like wow, haha, you're so funny. I totally haven't put hundreds of hours of practice into playing it or anything. I love one of my passions being reduced to just a stupid stereotype.
@GingaSnap

You play the banjo? That's amazing! You're cooler than all those people, I'm sure.

My ukulele gets called a tiny guitar a lot. I can't tell you how many times people have asked if I actually know how to play anything other than riptide. Like wow, haha, you're so funny. I totally haven't put hundreds of hours of practice into playing it or anything. I love one of my passions being reduced to just a stupid stereotype.
-Lemon, the keeper of all citrus kind

always overwhelmingly overwhelmed

Very open to chatting with anyone about anything ever.

If you want me to see your reply, please ping me!
anything using the word "dark" as a bad thing. "dark humor" "dark times" "dark thoughts" ugh learn more creative words. "grim humor" "morbid times" "heavy thoughts" increase your vocabulary.
anything using the word "dark" as a bad thing. "dark humor" "dark times" "dark thoughts" ugh learn more creative words. "grim humor" "morbid times" "heavy thoughts" increase your vocabulary.
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
@SpoiledLemon ugh yeah I hate being reduced to stereotypes when it comes to my instrument :/ I used to play the banjo-uke for a while (I haven't been able to get new strings for it recently) so I get what you mean. At the very least the 'banjo' part of it makes people a little less inclined to mock me, weirdly enough.
@SpoiledLemon ugh yeah I hate being reduced to stereotypes when it comes to my instrument :/ I used to play the banjo-uke for a while (I haven't been able to get new strings for it recently) so I get what you mean. At the very least the 'banjo' part of it makes people a little less inclined to mock me, weirdly enough.
cDDSaqc.png
Okay, so I don't have a certain phrase or saying that annoys me, but I absolutely HATE mispronunciation! My 8-year-old sis is constantly saying things wrong, and something about it just triggers me. Call me grammar police, but I can't bear inadequate grammar. Just... no.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, I do have a phrase that annoys me! And it's one that my parents always use a lot, especially concerning my grades (I hate to say it, but I'm really struggling right now)

"C'mon, you're smarter than that!"
This is common, and it really annoys me. I just hate it.
"If I was doing online school, I would've passed every single class!"
Yeah, right! It's not as easy as you think, Einstein!

Sometimes I just wish my parents would stop being this way.
Okay, so I don't have a certain phrase or saying that annoys me, but I absolutely HATE mispronunciation! My 8-year-old sis is constantly saying things wrong, and something about it just triggers me. Call me grammar police, but I can't bear inadequate grammar. Just... no.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, I do have a phrase that annoys me! And it's one that my parents always use a lot, especially concerning my grades (I hate to say it, but I'm really struggling right now)

"C'mon, you're smarter than that!"
This is common, and it really annoys me. I just hate it.
"If I was doing online school, I would've passed every single class!"
Yeah, right! It's not as easy as you think, Einstein!

Sometimes I just wish my parents would stop being this way.
bbbbbbbb.png16454.png sprites.png

coatlshoppe.png
@Alidranix I mispronounce very certain things on purpose, but only for comedy. There are some people I know who do it even in a school setting. We'll be in an online class and they'll use "u" in the chat. Come on, man. We're technically doing school. This is an English class. Get it right. I was already correcting people on the first day, and one of my classmates said "Aand they're already correcting grammar. I missed this group"

I definitely get what you mean with the "You're smarter than that" thing, it happens to me too. It really is infuriating when people can't see how hard you're trying and how much their words discourage you.
@Alidranix I mispronounce very certain things on purpose, but only for comedy. There are some people I know who do it even in a school setting. We'll be in an online class and they'll use "u" in the chat. Come on, man. We're technically doing school. This is an English class. Get it right. I was already correcting people on the first day, and one of my classmates said "Aand they're already correcting grammar. I missed this group"

I definitely get what you mean with the "You're smarter than that" thing, it happens to me too. It really is infuriating when people can't see how hard you're trying and how much their words discourage you.
-Lemon, the keeper of all citrus kind

always overwhelmingly overwhelmed

Very open to chatting with anyone about anything ever.

If you want me to see your reply, please ping me!
@SpoiledLemon
Yeah, comedy is understandable, but if it's not, then I can't stand it.
@SpoiledLemon
Yeah, comedy is understandable, but if it's not, then I can't stand it.
bbbbbbbb.png16454.png sprites.png

coatlshoppe.png
"No need to cry over spilt milk"
I'm sorry but if you know me you will know if I drop an entire carton of milk and it spills everywhere I will get intensely upset. It's one of my favourite drinks!

"Kill two birds with one stone"
I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Don't try kill them with stones, or at all.
Please say anything other than that, it's just blegh.
"No need to cry over spilt milk"
I'm sorry but if you know me you will know if I drop an entire carton of milk and it spills everywhere I will get intensely upset. It's one of my favourite drinks!

"Kill two birds with one stone"
I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Don't try kill them with stones, or at all.
Please say anything other than that, it's just blegh.
n9ssuxW.gif
They/It | FR +8 | INFP | :]
OxagJgG.pngQUIpVFE.png

1UI2JZj.gif
I hate the phrase "It's 2020 you can't say that anymore" because it completely removes the actual reason why something shouldn't be said/done. No, it's not because it's 2020, it's because what you did is possibly extremely harmful towards others.
I hate the phrase "It's 2020 you can't say that anymore" because it completely removes the actual reason why something shouldn't be said/done. No, it's not because it's 2020, it's because what you did is possibly extremely harmful towards others.
aasolsmall.pngaa
mags
they/vae
fr +8
drymmsmallsmall.png
"Others have/had it worse." I feel it's important to get some perspective and not dwell on your own issues like it's the center of the universe, especially not when you're surrounded by 7 billion people.

But from where I'm coming from, it's not a phrase used to provoke thinking and perspective, it was used for casual dismissal no matter how critical things were, which eventually turned harmful in and of itself.

I mean sure, all my life's suffering has been overshadowed by that of someone else somewhere, but that doesn't mean I should keep mine untended.
"Others have/had it worse." I feel it's important to get some perspective and not dwell on your own issues like it's the center of the universe, especially not when you're surrounded by 7 billion people.

But from where I'm coming from, it's not a phrase used to provoke thinking and perspective, it was used for casual dismissal no matter how critical things were, which eventually turned harmful in and of itself.

I mean sure, all my life's suffering has been overshadowed by that of someone else somewhere, but that doesn't mean I should keep mine untended.
Two times What ever happened to twice?
Two times What ever happened to twice?
She/Her For wishlist of familiars go to undiscovered section of beastiary
Third Generation Gemini
Animal lover
Book lover
Bladewood Graduate
It is only with the heart one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.
From The Little Prince by Antione St. Exubery
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16