Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Random basically useless facts?
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
The vast majority of French horns are what is called a double horn, meaning they are a combo of the F horn and the Bb horn, so it has two sets of valves for each lever. You switch between the sets of valves using the trigger, which you press with your thumb. It is also a left-handed instrument, the right hand goes inside the bell to help keep it in tune :)

Whenever trumpets play the D right below the staff, they have to extend one of their slides so it won't be super sharp!

Most of the sound of a flute doesn't come from the open end of it, it comes from across the mouthplate (I think that's what it's called)

The reeds on woodwind instruments (with the exception of the flute) can get mold!
The vast majority of French horns are what is called a double horn, meaning they are a combo of the F horn and the Bb horn, so it has two sets of valves for each lever. You switch between the sets of valves using the trigger, which you press with your thumb. It is also a left-handed instrument, the right hand goes inside the bell to help keep it in tune :)

Whenever trumpets play the D right below the staff, they have to extend one of their slides so it won't be super sharp!

Most of the sound of a flute doesn't come from the open end of it, it comes from across the mouthplate (I think that's what it's called)

The reeds on woodwind instruments (with the exception of the flute) can get mold!
Human saliva contains trace amounts of a chemical called opiorphin, a painkiller stronger than morphine.

There is a species of ancient amphibian, Fedexia striegeli, named after Fedex. The company owned the land where the fossil was found.

Boquila trifoliolata, a species of flowering vine, is able to near-perfectly mimic the plants it grows on. It's even able to do this with fake plants, and it's hypothesized that it does this by sight!
Human saliva contains trace amounts of a chemical called opiorphin, a painkiller stronger than morphine.

There is a species of ancient amphibian, Fedexia striegeli, named after Fedex. The company owned the land where the fossil was found.

Boquila trifoliolata, a species of flowering vine, is able to near-perfectly mimic the plants it grows on. It's even able to do this with fake plants, and it's hypothesized that it does this by sight!
formattingtextweeeeee any pronouns

Pgv53XB.png
rnKnsgE.png
J7D1quC.png
643gino.gif mjtJ868.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
4ogWlJU.png
KRcB6uC.png
FObX7rS.png
in the mo creatures minecraft mod, there are four weapons that can be obtained by naming turtles after the teenage mutant turtles and killing them.

I also know a LOT about this mod lol, except horse breeding charts.
in the mo creatures minecraft mod, there are four weapons that can be obtained by naming turtles after the teenage mutant turtles and killing them.

I also know a LOT about this mod lol, except horse breeding charts.
Hi! I'm Jack (fr +3)
[quote name="ANTIM0NY" date="2022-02-26 16:16:30" ] There is a species of ancient amphibian, Fedexia striegeli, named after Fedex. The company owned the land where the fossil was found. [/quote] Ohh, speaking of extinct animals with fun scientific names, I got a good one too: There is a species of trilobite found in China with the name [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_(trilobite)][i]Han solo.[/i][/url] Official reason in its describtion was, that it was named after the Han people in China, who live in the region it was found in; and it is the last known member of its family, hence [i]solo.[/i] However, Samuel Turvey, who first described the species, revealed that some of his friends dared him to name a discovery after a Star Wars character.
ANTIM0NY wrote on 2022-02-26 16:16:30:

Ohh, speaking of extinct animals with fun scientific names, I got a good one too:

There is a species of trilobite found in China with the name Han solo. Official reason in its describtion was, that it was named after the Han people in China, who live in the region it was found in; and it is the last known member of its family, hence solo.
However, Samuel Turvey, who first described the species, revealed that some of his friends dared him to name a discovery after a Star Wars character.
The jaws theme song is basically 2 alternating notes: e and f#

oh and there's a spider named after cthulu

fireflower.png StarlightDragon7
> Wishlist
> Progen Lineage
> Clan Lore (wip)
> Art dumpster
> Flourish and bloom. And stay determined.
muK7GRQ.png
You can smell temperature. Try it.
IIIIII II @ Iscrupulous
IIIIICLAN EGO

I> "Remember you must die."
IIIIIII
[quote name="TeerOfLore" date="2022-02-27 18:36:38" ] You can smell temperature. Try it. [/quote] Absolutely.
TeerOfLore wrote on 2022-02-27 18:36:38:
Absolutely.
vista_coatl2.pngvista_pc2.pngz3ouQq5.gifceBwIw9.gif0AniMUO.gifi4qfGjh.gifvista_pc1.pngvista_coatl1.png
[quote name="StarlightDragon7" date="2022-02-27 18:18:57" ] The jaws theme song is basically 2 alternating notes: e and f# oh and there's a spider named after cthulu [/quote] The biggest dark patch on Pluto is named after Cthulhu too! There's actually a decent number of things in science named after pop culture references, but the only other one I can think of offhand is Aerodactylus, a dubious species of pterosaur named after the pokemon aerodactyl. Scientists are bigger nerds than you think lol
StarlightDragon7 wrote on 2022-02-27 18:18:57:

The biggest dark patch on Pluto is named after Cthulhu too!

There's actually a decent number of things in science named after pop culture references, but the only other one I can think of offhand is Aerodactylus, a dubious species of pterosaur named after the pokemon aerodactyl. Scientists are bigger nerds than you think lol
formattingtextweeeeee any pronouns

Pgv53XB.png
rnKnsgE.png
J7D1quC.png
643gino.gif mjtJ868.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
4ogWlJU.png
KRcB6uC.png
FObX7rS.png
[quote name="ANTIM0NY" date="2022-02-28 14:09:38" ] There's actually a decent number of things in science named after pop culture references, but the only other one I can think of offhand is Aerodactylus, a dubious species of pterosaur named after the pokemon aerodactyl. Scientists are bigger nerds than you think lol [/quote] Aaand you remind me of another good one, which also happens to be a dubious genus: An unusually big Triassic theropod named [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gojirasaurus]Gojirasaurus.[/url] Though, unlike Gojira/Godzilla, it is from the US, not Japan. And yep, scientists are massive nerds. Would they be scientists if they weren't?
ANTIM0NY wrote on 2022-02-28 14:09:38:
There's actually a decent number of things in science named after pop culture references, but the only other one I can think of offhand is Aerodactylus, a dubious species of pterosaur named after the pokemon aerodactyl. Scientists are bigger nerds than you think lol

Aaand you remind me of another good one, which also happens to be a dubious genus:
An unusually big Triassic theropod named Gojirasaurus. Though, unlike Gojira/Godzilla, it is from the US, not Japan.

And yep, scientists are massive nerds. Would they be scientists if they weren't?
[quote name="Origamighostt" date="2020-01-15 08:16:03" ] The average adult is 81,500 calories (including bones) [/quote] I don't know how we figured that out and I don't think I want to. A human head cut off at the top of the neck weighs about 11 pounds. A full head of human hair is strong enough to lift two tons. The human soul is theorized to weigh 21 grams. Again, I don't know HOW we figured this out, and I don't think I WANT to know.
Origamighostt wrote on 2020-01-15 08:16:03:
The average adult is 81,500 calories (including bones)
I don't know how we figured that out and I don't think I want to.

A human head cut off at the top of the neck weighs about 11 pounds.
A full head of human hair is strong enough to lift two tons.
The human soul is theorized to weigh 21 grams.

Again, I don't know HOW we figured this out, and I don't think I WANT to know.
Dreamcore/Weirdcore enjoyer.
Trans Male (Ae/Aer)
Check out my new group RP!
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15