Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | GoT 8th Season
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
@Vidoxi

Agreed.

There's so much nonsense. But I try to look on the bright side. At least the show isn't spoiling anything from the unreleased books, haha. Because let's face it, with all the focus on things like Azor Ahai/The Prince Who Was Promised (being a Targaryen, not a Stark) and The Dragon Has Three Heads, it's not going to work out the same. Not to mention all the cut stories, alternative deaths and whatever else.

I almost did a bit of a cry at Jenny's Song though.

I'm still ridiculously bitter about the Ghost of High Heart being cut.
@Vidoxi

Agreed.

There's so much nonsense. But I try to look on the bright side. At least the show isn't spoiling anything from the unreleased books, haha. Because let's face it, with all the focus on things like Azor Ahai/The Prince Who Was Promised (being a Targaryen, not a Stark) and The Dragon Has Three Heads, it's not going to work out the same. Not to mention all the cut stories, alternative deaths and whatever else.

I almost did a bit of a cry at Jenny's Song though.

I'm still ridiculously bitter about the Ghost of High Heart being cut.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
[spoiler]Oh my god This is definitely the most beautiful scene in GoT, and perhaps all tv shows I've ever watched. It really is heavenly.. https://i.redd.it/bqpfpiq7y7v21.jpg [/spoiler] [item=29958]
Oh my god
This is definitely the most beautiful scene in GoT, and perhaps all tv shows I've ever watched. It really is heavenly..

https://i.redd.it/bqpfpiq7y7v21.jpg

@greyjoy "at least the books will be different" is my equivalent of book arya telling herself "fear cuts deeper than swords" to comfort herself lol. the ghost of high heart would have been great to see but i'm not surprised we didnt. at least we got maggy the frog- that's more than i had expected, given that the show doesnt usually do flashbacks.

i'm sure ive told you this before but i love your username. i have a soft spot for greyjoys, particularly theon. how do you feel about how the show has handled them? euron is a total clown, its terrible lol. i cant believe they (one of the showrunners iirc? i dont remember) had the gall to hype him up as being worse than ramsay, and then he's basically a joke character. i feel relieved that they didnt butcher theon's characterization and arc, but also cant help but feel that his end was kind of predictable/lazy and i think he deserved better. alfie allen is definitely one of the better actors on the show. and i think yara/asha is pretty decent.
@greyjoy "at least the books will be different" is my equivalent of book arya telling herself "fear cuts deeper than swords" to comfort herself lol. the ghost of high heart would have been great to see but i'm not surprised we didnt. at least we got maggy the frog- that's more than i had expected, given that the show doesnt usually do flashbacks.

i'm sure ive told you this before but i love your username. i have a soft spot for greyjoys, particularly theon. how do you feel about how the show has handled them? euron is a total clown, its terrible lol. i cant believe they (one of the showrunners iirc? i dont remember) had the gall to hype him up as being worse than ramsay, and then he's basically a joke character. i feel relieved that they didnt butcher theon's characterization and arc, but also cant help but feel that his end was kind of predictable/lazy and i think he deserved better. alfie allen is definitely one of the better actors on the show. and i think yara/asha is pretty decent.
ytkEBod.pngll0CfnD.png510b8a63d40dc52d20b17daf90107ad8a80d4b80.png
@Vidoxi

Thank you! I love the Krakenfolk so much. Honestly, the Greyjoys are my biggest show disappointment.

I loved them in the books. I loved Asha (and her hangers-on, like Qarl the Maid) and my favourite of all of them, Victarion, was cut, much to my constant consternation (other cut characters I really, really wanted would be Strong Belwas, the Brave Companions, Arianne Martell, Penny, Young and Old Gryff, Satin, Cotter Pyke, Wex Pyke, Moqorro, Darkstar and even a properly portrayed Bryden Rivers). I'm never going to not be disappointed that Victarion was cut. Aeron's role was reduced/given to a random nameless NPC, which annoyed me also, but none of these things bug me as much as their handling Euron Greyjoy.

You're right -- he IS a joke. In the book he was known for his terrifying madness, even in a culture considered mad by the entire rest of the country, but it wasn't a comedic madness, it was terror inducing. The fact that his ship was manned by mutes was horrifying, what he did with that horn and his tattood crewman was horrifying. Theon was so terrified of his Uncle Euron that Mors Umber's sodding EYE PATCH scared him more than being held captive by a Northman he betrayed earlier on.

He didn't look right for me overall, his behaviour wasn't scary and threatening enough either, but they didn't even give him the patch, nor the blue lips. His defining features. His attitude is ridiculous and he's just an overall disappointment.

Theon in the show ... I can deal with it. He had a fairly nice redemption arc and I'm glad that in a nod to the books he got the death he wanted, where he wanted. It worked in the hellish fanfiction world of the TV show, but we'll have to see how much better it is for him in the books. 8(

I'm glad somebody else appreciates where I'm coming from with the book/show differences and the colossal disappointment attached to it. ._.
@Vidoxi

Thank you! I love the Krakenfolk so much. Honestly, the Greyjoys are my biggest show disappointment.

I loved them in the books. I loved Asha (and her hangers-on, like Qarl the Maid) and my favourite of all of them, Victarion, was cut, much to my constant consternation (other cut characters I really, really wanted would be Strong Belwas, the Brave Companions, Arianne Martell, Penny, Young and Old Gryff, Satin, Cotter Pyke, Wex Pyke, Moqorro, Darkstar and even a properly portrayed Bryden Rivers). I'm never going to not be disappointed that Victarion was cut. Aeron's role was reduced/given to a random nameless NPC, which annoyed me also, but none of these things bug me as much as their handling Euron Greyjoy.

You're right -- he IS a joke. In the book he was known for his terrifying madness, even in a culture considered mad by the entire rest of the country, but it wasn't a comedic madness, it was terror inducing. The fact that his ship was manned by mutes was horrifying, what he did with that horn and his tattood crewman was horrifying. Theon was so terrified of his Uncle Euron that Mors Umber's sodding EYE PATCH scared him more than being held captive by a Northman he betrayed earlier on.

He didn't look right for me overall, his behaviour wasn't scary and threatening enough either, but they didn't even give him the patch, nor the blue lips. His defining features. His attitude is ridiculous and he's just an overall disappointment.

Theon in the show ... I can deal with it. He had a fairly nice redemption arc and I'm glad that in a nod to the books he got the death he wanted, where he wanted. It worked in the hellish fanfiction world of the TV show, but we'll have to see how much better it is for him in the books. 8(

I'm glad somebody else appreciates where I'm coming from with the book/show differences and the colossal disappointment attached to it. ._.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
@greyjoy my disappointment over victarion being cut from the show is softened by how badly they handled euron honestly. if they were to butcher him as badly as euron then it's just as well he wasnt included, imo. show euron would **** his pants if he ever met book euron lol. sometimes i still think about that awkward line "let's go murder my niece and nephew". ugh. euron really is the single most badly handled character. i dont even know how it went this wrong.

yeah there's a lot of good characters that were cut but again i'm not too surprised at them being cut. in recent seasons i feel like d&d are just tired of doing the show and want to streamline it as much as possible. i'm not entirely against the idea of doing that because the two most recent books feel a bit bloated with new characters and plotlines that seem like they may or may not end up being important, but they've streamlined it so much that it feels incredibly rushed. season 7 in particular felt so ridiculous and unrealistic with how all the characters get everywhere so quickly, like they're in a video game and are using fast travel or something lol. the fact that there's only 3 episodes left this season has me wondering if not everything is going to end up being resolved even.

yeah, i'm always relieved to talk to someone else that doesnt just blindly gobble up the crap the show tries to feed us. have you always found the show disappointing? i had some small issues with the early seasons but for the most part was really pleased with it and surprised at what a good adaptation it was. the latter seasons though are so bad i havent bought the blu-rays or even rewatched them or anything. i feel like its become what people worry about when they hear that their favorite book is going to be made into a movie- that it'll be cheesy and too hollywood feeling, and the writers will change it too much, and get the characters wrong. i cant imagine grrm is very happy with what's happened either.
@greyjoy my disappointment over victarion being cut from the show is softened by how badly they handled euron honestly. if they were to butcher him as badly as euron then it's just as well he wasnt included, imo. show euron would **** his pants if he ever met book euron lol. sometimes i still think about that awkward line "let's go murder my niece and nephew". ugh. euron really is the single most badly handled character. i dont even know how it went this wrong.

yeah there's a lot of good characters that were cut but again i'm not too surprised at them being cut. in recent seasons i feel like d&d are just tired of doing the show and want to streamline it as much as possible. i'm not entirely against the idea of doing that because the two most recent books feel a bit bloated with new characters and plotlines that seem like they may or may not end up being important, but they've streamlined it so much that it feels incredibly rushed. season 7 in particular felt so ridiculous and unrealistic with how all the characters get everywhere so quickly, like they're in a video game and are using fast travel or something lol. the fact that there's only 3 episodes left this season has me wondering if not everything is going to end up being resolved even.

yeah, i'm always relieved to talk to someone else that doesnt just blindly gobble up the crap the show tries to feed us. have you always found the show disappointing? i had some small issues with the early seasons but for the most part was really pleased with it and surprised at what a good adaptation it was. the latter seasons though are so bad i havent bought the blu-rays or even rewatched them or anything. i feel like its become what people worry about when they hear that their favorite book is going to be made into a movie- that it'll be cheesy and too hollywood feeling, and the writers will change it too much, and get the characters wrong. i cant imagine grrm is very happy with what's happened either.
@Vidoxi

Honestly, when certain characters were cut, I was sort of relieved, thinking that they might not be important later in the books, but the longer the series went on, the more I thought "This is so far removed from what the books are heading into, those characters could be important after all". Particularly the 'the dragon has three heads' business.

I figured Aegon (and don't get me started about Rhaegar having two sons called Aegon according to the show, hahah!) not being included was a sign that yep, definitely a pretender, not important at all, but now... ehhh, that storyline could have just been removed to facilitate a completely ridiculous ice dragon, for all I know. And it is completely ridiculous.

I feel like the show was good for about the first ... three-ish seasons. It followed as well as could be expected for a while, with reasonable character cuts, but as it went on, it felt like they hadn't read ahead to see what characters and storylines they'd cut (Jeyne Poole, for example) would be important later and instead had to merge storylines or cobble stuff together to make it work. I mean, cutting Jeyne seems minor ... right up to Ramsay Bolton having to marry her as 'fake Arya'. Then her being cut leaves a huge gap in the narrative. Ditto cutting out Mance Rayder's wife, Dalla, and the baby.

As it went on, it's like they were told "Everyone has guessed Jon Snow's parentage by now, include that... then cut the third dragon and all the families and characters with uncertain endings? Kill them all off or cut them if they're not here already." And so the Tyrells and Faith Militant got blown to smithereens with Cersei facing essentially no consequences for her decision to bring back an organisation it took one of the best Targaryen kings to put down in the first place, the Blackfish was killed, Arianne Martell and Lady Stoneheart failed to make an appearance and the remaining Dornish characters were unceremoniously killed off.

I sort of thank them for not spoiling things for me. I want to know what happens to Ser Loras, I want to know what's going to happen with the Faith Militant. I'm curious about what Victarion's red hand means and so on and with the absolute mess the TV Show is in... I can find out about it properly, when the book eventually comes out in 80 years, rather than having every detail spoiled poorly for me with crappy writing. |D
@Vidoxi

Honestly, when certain characters were cut, I was sort of relieved, thinking that they might not be important later in the books, but the longer the series went on, the more I thought "This is so far removed from what the books are heading into, those characters could be important after all". Particularly the 'the dragon has three heads' business.

I figured Aegon (and don't get me started about Rhaegar having two sons called Aegon according to the show, hahah!) not being included was a sign that yep, definitely a pretender, not important at all, but now... ehhh, that storyline could have just been removed to facilitate a completely ridiculous ice dragon, for all I know. And it is completely ridiculous.

I feel like the show was good for about the first ... three-ish seasons. It followed as well as could be expected for a while, with reasonable character cuts, but as it went on, it felt like they hadn't read ahead to see what characters and storylines they'd cut (Jeyne Poole, for example) would be important later and instead had to merge storylines or cobble stuff together to make it work. I mean, cutting Jeyne seems minor ... right up to Ramsay Bolton having to marry her as 'fake Arya'. Then her being cut leaves a huge gap in the narrative. Ditto cutting out Mance Rayder's wife, Dalla, and the baby.

As it went on, it's like they were told "Everyone has guessed Jon Snow's parentage by now, include that... then cut the third dragon and all the families and characters with uncertain endings? Kill them all off or cut them if they're not here already." And so the Tyrells and Faith Militant got blown to smithereens with Cersei facing essentially no consequences for her decision to bring back an organisation it took one of the best Targaryen kings to put down in the first place, the Blackfish was killed, Arianne Martell and Lady Stoneheart failed to make an appearance and the remaining Dornish characters were unceremoniously killed off.

I sort of thank them for not spoiling things for me. I want to know what happens to Ser Loras, I want to know what's going to happen with the Faith Militant. I'm curious about what Victarion's red hand means and so on and with the absolute mess the TV Show is in... I can find out about it properly, when the book eventually comes out in 80 years, rather than having every detail spoiled poorly for me with crappy writing. |D
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
@greyjoy dont even remind me of the sand snakes existence, that whole plotline was a mess and just embarrassing lol. that was really the herald of the realization that d&d is totally incompetent without the book's footsteps to follow in.

my biggest gripe with sansa replacing jeyne is just that it doesnt make sense to me that littlefinger would throw her to the dogs (potentially quite literally) like that. they totally did littlefinger wrong- i want to cringe out of my skin when i think about the s7 subplot where he tries to turn sansa and arya against eachother, so they kill him and get their corny girl power moment. also its so crappy that they forgot literally the second scene of the whole show is ned saying "the man who passes the sentence must swing the sword" but sansa has arya execute him.

i could honestly complain about the show until the the sun rises in the west, the seas dry up, the mountains blow in the wind like leaves, etc lol.

i'm a little happy that at least the show wont spoil the books now too but its a small comfort. i would take the show spoiling the books any day if it was done at at least the quality of the first 3 or 4 seasons.

for all my complaining i do still enjoy watching the show though. its been a very entertaining trainwreck. and not everything about it is bad now i guess. i liked the scene of brienne being knighted, and the battle of the b*stards was incredible (and way better than the one against the wights for some reason?). and the acting is still pretty good. except for from emilia clarke who's always been a laughably bad actress but seems to be getting even worse?? help
@greyjoy dont even remind me of the sand snakes existence, that whole plotline was a mess and just embarrassing lol. that was really the herald of the realization that d&d is totally incompetent without the book's footsteps to follow in.

my biggest gripe with sansa replacing jeyne is just that it doesnt make sense to me that littlefinger would throw her to the dogs (potentially quite literally) like that. they totally did littlefinger wrong- i want to cringe out of my skin when i think about the s7 subplot where he tries to turn sansa and arya against eachother, so they kill him and get their corny girl power moment. also its so crappy that they forgot literally the second scene of the whole show is ned saying "the man who passes the sentence must swing the sword" but sansa has arya execute him.

i could honestly complain about the show until the the sun rises in the west, the seas dry up, the mountains blow in the wind like leaves, etc lol.

i'm a little happy that at least the show wont spoil the books now too but its a small comfort. i would take the show spoiling the books any day if it was done at at least the quality of the first 3 or 4 seasons.

for all my complaining i do still enjoy watching the show though. its been a very entertaining trainwreck. and not everything about it is bad now i guess. i liked the scene of brienne being knighted, and the battle of the b*stards was incredible (and way better than the one against the wights for some reason?). and the acting is still pretty good. except for from emilia clarke who's always been a laughably bad actress but seems to be getting even worse?? help
Place your bets.
Who do you think will be the one to sit on the iron throne in the end?
Place your bets.
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

@EclipseDragon
tbh i hope they throw the thing in the sea and establish a better form of government but a girl can dream
@EclipseDragon
tbh i hope they throw the thing in the sea and establish a better form of government but a girl can dream
[quote name="EclipseDragon" date="2019-05-05 19:35:28" ] Place your bets. Who do you think will be the one to sit on the iron throne in the end? [/quote] Neither of them! Everything's so chaotic. [spoiler]Jon will forever bend the knee for Dany. And Dany is just going mad at this point and she's losing support. And it's obvious she's feeling insecure with Jon having a higher claim to the throne and with him having more support from the North. But if I were to choose out of the two (if these guys are the only candidates, although I hope they find somebody else tbh), if Jon sees Dany as being unfit I think he'll do what's necessary (despite not wanting to have the throne).[/spoiler]
EclipseDragon wrote on 2019-05-05 19:35:28:
Place your bets.

Neither of them!
Everything's so chaotic.
Jon will forever bend the knee for Dany. And Dany is just going mad at this point and she's losing support. And it's obvious she's feeling insecure with Jon having a higher claim to the throne and with him having more support from the North. But if I were to choose out of the two (if these guys are the only candidates, although I hope they find somebody else tbh), if Jon sees Dany as being unfit I think he'll do what's necessary (despite not wanting to have the throne).
o007-d01-Amorah.pngo007-d02-Amorah.pngo007-d03-Amorah.pngo007-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d01-Amorah.pngs064-d02-Amorah.pngs064-d03-Amorah.pngs064-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d05-Amorah.pngs064-d06-Amorah.pngs064-d07-Amorah.pngs064-d08-Amorah.pngs064-d09-Amorah.pngs064-d10-Amorah.pngs075-d01-Amorah.pngs075-d02-Amorah.pngs075-d03-Amorah.pngs075-d04-Amorah.pngs075-d05-Amorah.pngs075-d06-Amorah.pngo007-d05-Amorah.png
ADb9Vnz.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16