Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Underrated Video Games You Love
1 2 3 4 5
Oh boy it's my time.

Kid Icarus Uprising
One of Nintendo's lesser known franchises, Kid Icarus and Uprising are often ignored because the original is ridiculously difficult. However, Uprising has a lot of charm to it and is a fun and unique game!

Pros
- Excellent story
- Fully voice acted
- Stellar graphics by 3DS game standards
- There are multiple weapon types and each one works well for different playstyles. Unlocking new weapons is also pretty easy!
- Lots to do even after beating the main game. This one's for you completionists who like a challenge
- Unique level design
- BEAUTIFUL OST
- Difficulty slider! Slowly work your way up!

Cons
- Really weird controls. They're something you have to get used to
- The flying segments, which are arguably one of the most fun parts of the game, are really short.
- Unique level design can also translate to really awful level design in some cases.
- Chapter 23.
Oh boy it's my time.

Kid Icarus Uprising
One of Nintendo's lesser known franchises, Kid Icarus and Uprising are often ignored because the original is ridiculously difficult. However, Uprising has a lot of charm to it and is a fun and unique game!

Pros
- Excellent story
- Fully voice acted
- Stellar graphics by 3DS game standards
- There are multiple weapon types and each one works well for different playstyles. Unlocking new weapons is also pretty easy!
- Lots to do even after beating the main game. This one's for you completionists who like a challenge
- Unique level design
- BEAUTIFUL OST
- Difficulty slider! Slowly work your way up!

Cons
- Really weird controls. They're something you have to get used to
- The flying segments, which are arguably one of the most fun parts of the game, are really short.
- Unique level design can also translate to really awful level design in some cases.
- Chapter 23.
AvatarofAkatosh-cropped.png I tried to make an aesthetic signature but it broke :(
Quote:
Ace of Seafood (switch)
has a red score on metacritic but was made with enough love that its a cult classic
basically like a starfox like game where u play as sea life and shoot out beams of light

Pros:
-delightfully corny
-big open world
-big variety of creatures to play as
-amusing yet harmless glitches
-beaching urself is hilarious and causes enemies to beach themselves while trying to reach u
-perfect for ppl in water flight
-u can breed submarines
-u can name ur critters

Cons:
-the area with the giant overly complicated coral reef lags badly and can crash the game if ur not careful
-barely anyone plays online
-controls feel weird at first
-kind of a grindfest
-some creatures are awkward to control like the tuna, which is always in a state of motion

conclusion:
u will like this game probably if u find the concept amusing
otherwise tbh idk if u would like it
Quote:
impossible creatures (steam)
basically a more realistic version of spore but u dont get to put parts wherever u want, u pick 2 animals and then choose toggles to choose which animal u use for each part
also is an rts

Pros:
-innovative concept
-lots of mods where the community put in new animals that are actually higher resolution than the animals that were originally in the game
-u can make some amazingly beautiful monsters, comparable to the cheesy B-movie sharknado type movie monsters on syfy; the hilarity is increased bc of the realistic art style
-the animal will get different stats depending on their anatomy
-has an active steam community

Cons:
-sometimes has bugs where u cant load the game after turning on a mod
-tutorial is very boring
-no campaign mode for the steam mods
-u lose all ur save data when loading a mod

conclusion:
idk about the campaign mode since i didnt really play it but since the game is less than $10, it is possibly worth a buy just for the creature creator feature
Quote:
Earth Wars (switch edition)
looks like a weird hybrid of muramasa the demon blade, monster hunter, and horizon zero dawn
sidescrolling action rpg

pros:
-very cheap for the amount of content it has (less than 5 USD and i got like 25 hours of gameplay)
-lots of different weapon types
-scary body horror monsters
-straightforward crafting system

cons:
-not recommended if u hate body horror since some later bosses are nightmare fuel
-story is meh

conclusion:
a fun very cheap game
Quote:
Deadly Creatures (Wii)
an adventure game where u play as a tarantula and a scorpion

Pros:
-gorgeous scenery
-great music
-BUGS
-spoopy
-cool environments to explore

Cons:
-some parts feel unfair
-boss battles arent very fun
-final boss for the scorpion is not fun at all
-i wish it would have focused more on exploration than on combat
-very short

conclusion:
very cool atmospheric game
Quote:
Endless Ocean 2 (Wii)
fun open world scuba diving game

pros:
-big open worlds
-lots of species to observe
-u can play with and feed the animals
-lots of different animals
-aquarium feature where u can make exhibits for the animals

cons:
-i heard ppl complained about sharks being tame in the previous game that sounds like a good thing to me i wish it had the tame sharks
-deep sea could have been made scarier
-kinda feel like some places seemed like u could go deeper but didnt let u

conclusion
fun ocean game
Quote:
Muramasa the demon blade (wii, vita)
japanese mythology side scroller

pros:
-amazing soundtrack, one of my all-time faves
-gorgeous visuals
-interesting/cool/powerful atmosphere
-good story
-fun cooking minigame
-fun combat
-cool bosses

cons:
-idk actually but it can be hard to tell if u already visited a secret area or not

conclusion:
interesting game with great music and interesting atmosphere
Quote:
Ace of Seafood (switch)
has a red score on metacritic but was made with enough love that its a cult classic
basically like a starfox like game where u play as sea life and shoot out beams of light

Pros:
-delightfully corny
-big open world
-big variety of creatures to play as
-amusing yet harmless glitches
-beaching urself is hilarious and causes enemies to beach themselves while trying to reach u
-perfect for ppl in water flight
-u can breed submarines
-u can name ur critters

Cons:
-the area with the giant overly complicated coral reef lags badly and can crash the game if ur not careful
-barely anyone plays online
-controls feel weird at first
-kind of a grindfest
-some creatures are awkward to control like the tuna, which is always in a state of motion

conclusion:
u will like this game probably if u find the concept amusing
otherwise tbh idk if u would like it
Quote:
impossible creatures (steam)
basically a more realistic version of spore but u dont get to put parts wherever u want, u pick 2 animals and then choose toggles to choose which animal u use for each part
also is an rts

Pros:
-innovative concept
-lots of mods where the community put in new animals that are actually higher resolution than the animals that were originally in the game
-u can make some amazingly beautiful monsters, comparable to the cheesy B-movie sharknado type movie monsters on syfy; the hilarity is increased bc of the realistic art style
-the animal will get different stats depending on their anatomy
-has an active steam community

Cons:
-sometimes has bugs where u cant load the game after turning on a mod
-tutorial is very boring
-no campaign mode for the steam mods
-u lose all ur save data when loading a mod

conclusion:
idk about the campaign mode since i didnt really play it but since the game is less than $10, it is possibly worth a buy just for the creature creator feature
Quote:
Earth Wars (switch edition)
looks like a weird hybrid of muramasa the demon blade, monster hunter, and horizon zero dawn
sidescrolling action rpg

pros:
-very cheap for the amount of content it has (less than 5 USD and i got like 25 hours of gameplay)
-lots of different weapon types
-scary body horror monsters
-straightforward crafting system

cons:
-not recommended if u hate body horror since some later bosses are nightmare fuel
-story is meh

conclusion:
a fun very cheap game
Quote:
Deadly Creatures (Wii)
an adventure game where u play as a tarantula and a scorpion

Pros:
-gorgeous scenery
-great music
-BUGS
-spoopy
-cool environments to explore

Cons:
-some parts feel unfair
-boss battles arent very fun
-final boss for the scorpion is not fun at all
-i wish it would have focused more on exploration than on combat
-very short

conclusion:
very cool atmospheric game
Quote:
Endless Ocean 2 (Wii)
fun open world scuba diving game

pros:
-big open worlds
-lots of species to observe
-u can play with and feed the animals
-lots of different animals
-aquarium feature where u can make exhibits for the animals

cons:
-i heard ppl complained about sharks being tame in the previous game that sounds like a good thing to me i wish it had the tame sharks
-deep sea could have been made scarier
-kinda feel like some places seemed like u could go deeper but didnt let u

conclusion
fun ocean game
Quote:
Muramasa the demon blade (wii, vita)
japanese mythology side scroller

pros:
-amazing soundtrack, one of my all-time faves
-gorgeous visuals
-interesting/cool/powerful atmosphere
-good story
-fun cooking minigame
-fun combat
-cool bosses

cons:
-idk actually but it can be hard to tell if u already visited a secret area or not

conclusion:
interesting game with great music and interesting atmosphere
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/8157ucx9MHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/img] I really loved this game!! Its a platformer and you also get to raise a monster that helps you fight. I had nobody to talk about it with at school and stuff cuz nobody knew about it lol I can't remember enough gameplay/story details to write out proper pros and cons though :( I should play through it again sometime nd see how it holds up
8157ucx9MHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I really loved this game!! Its a platformer and you also get to raise a monster that helps you fight. I had nobody to talk about it with at school and stuff cuz nobody knew about it lol I can't remember enough gameplay/story details to write out proper pros and cons though :( I should play through it again sometime nd see how it holds up
63b167364c0a2dbaf2a03351a1066bc8cada7354.pngfcaa2c7b37d017521beff538d86b130409b73d6e.png21d0293ce4fcfad679fd6be05ccf743215e58ae7.png99d350e6cd84e02c223da178bc712b62b709f489.png
dunno if this classifies as underrated but uh [img]https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/282074-dynasty-warriors-8-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg[/img] i know the image says 8, but i love all of them. 1-8. yes. i am purposefully not including 9. i dont like 9. i liked 6 better than 9. 9 is bad. 9 is no no. anyway. pros: BATTLE MUSIC i will die for the soundtrack lowkey. very traditional chinese. i love it. hack and slash-type gameplay which i like historical interactions funny banter words repeated so much it becomes funny "chaos" "BEN EV O LENCE" "imbecile" the outfits. are they impractical? absolutely. do they look good? absolutely. looking at the changes in zhang he's outfits is always a journey LET'S USE A FLUTE/FAN/CLAWS AS WEAPONS IN A WAR you get to tear through enemy lines and feel like an bad A multiple characters you can play as multiple endings art style's lovely cons: might get repetitive if you play continuously DO NOT play if youre lookin for historical accuracy voice acting can get a bit....hammy a lot hammy DO NOT play 9. please dont. it does not represent the series as a whole. again repetitive grinding too much can take the fun out of battles grinding too little means you get killed a lot
dunno if this classifies as underrated but uh
282074-dynasty-warriors-8-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg
i know the image says 8, but i love all of them. 1-8. yes. i am purposefully not including 9. i dont like 9. i liked 6 better than 9. 9 is bad. 9 is no no.

anyway.

pros:
BATTLE MUSIC i will die for the soundtrack lowkey. very traditional chinese. i love it.
hack and slash-type gameplay which i like
historical interactions
funny banter
words repeated so much it becomes funny
"chaos"
"BEN EV O LENCE"
"imbecile"
the outfits. are they impractical? absolutely. do they look good? absolutely.
looking at the changes in zhang he's outfits is always a journey
LET'S USE A FLUTE/FAN/CLAWS AS WEAPONS IN A WAR
you get to tear through enemy lines and feel like an bad A
multiple characters you can play as
multiple endings
art style's lovely

cons:
might get repetitive if you play continuously
DO NOT play if youre lookin for historical accuracy
voice acting can get a bit....hammy
a lot hammy
DO NOT play 9. please dont. it does not represent the series as a whole.
again repetitive
grinding too much can take the fun out of battles
grinding too little means you get killed a lot
Selling Cheap Fodder ==> HERE
Looking for ==> THESE
WISHLIST
[img]https://res.cloudinary.com/lmn/image/upload/c_limit,h_360,w_640/e_sharpen:100/f_auto,fl_lossy,q_auto/v1/gameskinnyc/m/o/n/monolith-0b701.jpg[/img] Monolith: After the End is a wonderful bullet hell roguelite that needs more attention than the amount it currently has. Pros: [LIST] [*] Great art. [*] Amazing soundtrack [*] Amazing hidden lore that changes how you see the game sort of [*] A lot of the enemies (and the main characters, as well) are really cute [*] You buy stuff from an orange cat blob. I don't think I need to say anything else. [/LIST] Cons [LIST] [*] The lore is... very vague (what do you mean by "i failed"?) [*] It can get [i]very[/i] bullet hell, enough to deter some players [/LIST]
monolith-0b701.jpg

Monolith: After the End is a wonderful bullet hell roguelite that needs more attention than the amount it currently has.

Pros:
  • Great art.
  • Amazing soundtrack
  • Amazing hidden lore that changes how you see the game sort of
  • A lot of the enemies (and the main characters, as well) are really cute
  • You buy stuff from an orange cat blob. I don't think I need to say anything else.

Cons
  • The lore is... very vague (what do you mean by "i failed"?)
  • It can get very bullet hell, enough to deter some players
I don't know if Twilight Princess is really underrated by the conventional definition, but I don't think it gets enough (positive) attention in the Legend of Zelda fandom. Pros: -Graphics are gorgeous -THE MUSIC AAAAAAAAAAAAA -Gameplay is top tier -There's a lot to do on the side -You can friggin talk to Epona and she insults you for unintentionally being a wolf and oof -Midna. Just. Midna. Cons: -Story is kind of a little bit predictable -It's very possible that you will take less damage in the final boss fight than you will when fighting those stupid little ice cube things -[size=1][s]Midna and Zelda don't get married at the end[/s][/size] Actual underrated game: [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/Never_Alone_Box_Art%2C_Box_art_1080x1080.png/220px-Never_Alone_Box_Art%2C_Box_art_1080x1080.png[/img] On Steam for not a lot of money. The graphics are very good, the art style of some of the creatures is really unique, you have the option to play co-op with someone, it's very... I mean, I'm a little bit very braindead because tired right now but it's a very good game.
I don't know if Twilight Princess is really underrated by the conventional definition, but I don't think it gets enough (positive) attention in the Legend of Zelda fandom.
Pros:
-Graphics are gorgeous
-THE MUSIC AAAAAAAAAAAAA
-Gameplay is top tier
-There's a lot to do on the side
-You can friggin talk to Epona and she insults you for unintentionally being a wolf and oof
-Midna. Just. Midna.

Cons:
-Story is kind of a little bit predictable
-It's very possible that you will take less damage in the final boss fight than you will when fighting those stupid little ice cube things
-Midna and Zelda don't get married at the end
Actual underrated game:
220px-Never_Alone_Box_Art%2C_Box_art_1080x1080.png
On Steam for not a lot of money. The graphics are very good, the art style of some of the creatures is really unique, you have the option to play co-op with someone, it's very... I mean, I'm a little bit very braindead because tired right now but it's a very good game.
5BsilZ9.png
5iXiC8z.png
LRdLP2V.png
mlHpBMC.png
Star Fox Adventures

Pros:
The voice acting is good and it's not too talky.
The fights are smooth and not too difficult, but not to easy
Prince Tricky is probably the first support character that isn't annoying.

Cons:
Some of the enemies (i.e Wall Snipluks) are super annoying.
The fact that it's not a space-based SF game may throw some people off.
The snow race. If you've played the game, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Super Smash Bros Brawl story mode

Pros:
The use of fighters in a side-scroller is appealing.
The enemies each have their own weakness, and it can be fun finding it out.
The non-fighter bosses (i.e Rayquaza) are exciting and entertaining.

Cons:
After you beat The Forest, the difficulty spikes insanely.
Do they SERIOUSLY have to introduce EVERY CHARACTER?
The Lucario fight still makes me rage.

(EDIT: I FORGOT ONE)

Yo-Kai Watch

Pros: Unlike Pokemon, there's no RNG for catching Yo-Kai: You just beat one and it possibly joins you.
The character designs are adorable, especialy Jibanyan.
You don't have to tell the Yo-Kai what to do.

Cons: The hitboxes are wonky as heck and sometimes ruin an otherwise-perfect dungeon.
Prepare to jump whenever Terror Time happens. It's way too spoopy for this game.
The final boss. Just the final boss. Do not fight the final boss. Once you've unlocked the final boss, just stop the game there. You'll never beat him.
Star Fox Adventures

Pros:
The voice acting is good and it's not too talky.
The fights are smooth and not too difficult, but not to easy
Prince Tricky is probably the first support character that isn't annoying.

Cons:
Some of the enemies (i.e Wall Snipluks) are super annoying.
The fact that it's not a space-based SF game may throw some people off.
The snow race. If you've played the game, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Super Smash Bros Brawl story mode

Pros:
The use of fighters in a side-scroller is appealing.
The enemies each have their own weakness, and it can be fun finding it out.
The non-fighter bosses (i.e Rayquaza) are exciting and entertaining.

Cons:
After you beat The Forest, the difficulty spikes insanely.
Do they SERIOUSLY have to introduce EVERY CHARACTER?
The Lucario fight still makes me rage.

(EDIT: I FORGOT ONE)

Yo-Kai Watch

Pros: Unlike Pokemon, there's no RNG for catching Yo-Kai: You just beat one and it possibly joins you.
The character designs are adorable, especialy Jibanyan.
You don't have to tell the Yo-Kai what to do.

Cons: The hitboxes are wonky as heck and sometimes ruin an otherwise-perfect dungeon.
Prepare to jump whenever Terror Time happens. It's way too spoopy for this game.
The final boss. Just the final boss. Do not fight the final boss. Once you've unlocked the final boss, just stop the game there. You'll never beat him.
Nothing much to say here.

slCEFYq.png
sZShZzW.png
Ill just put something here so I can come back to it later
Ill just put something here so I can come back to it later
Ive made a post like this i think in another thread but?? imma do this again!

Mine is Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies and Fallen London

Fallen London is a free browser game and Sunless Sea and Skies are its paid sequels

Pros:
-FANTASTIC writing and lore
-All the characters are pretty well written and unique
-Like seriously even the bad ones are amazing
-Fallen London is an online game but it values story over anything else, nothing is "pay to win" you can buy things but it's not necessary, theres no competition with others, most of the paid content is just more cool stories
-Lovecraftian without the racism
-Lots of different choices and storylines that make each persons story feel unique
-Fallen London has been around since 2009 and his still being updated with wonderful and helpful staff
-Sunless Skies is still in early access and has an entire other region that needs to be released yet its still my fave in the series and 100% worth the money as of now

Cons:
-Mostly text based, especially Fallen London
-Some of the lore is kinda buried and hard to get to, although whether thats a con is up to you, I personally find it cool to still find new stuff after years of playing
-none of the "main stories" of Fallen London are completed yet and after about a year or so of playing there isnt much to do until the next update
-Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies are spinoffs so although it's not necessary, some stuff might be confusing if you haven't played FL, (Although I find this more applies to Skies, I played Sea first and was fine)
-In Fallen London it's pretty hard to be a complete lawful good character, if thats something that bothers you
Ive made a post like this i think in another thread but?? imma do this again!

Mine is Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies and Fallen London

Fallen London is a free browser game and Sunless Sea and Skies are its paid sequels

Pros:
-FANTASTIC writing and lore
-All the characters are pretty well written and unique
-Like seriously even the bad ones are amazing
-Fallen London is an online game but it values story over anything else, nothing is "pay to win" you can buy things but it's not necessary, theres no competition with others, most of the paid content is just more cool stories
-Lovecraftian without the racism
-Lots of different choices and storylines that make each persons story feel unique
-Fallen London has been around since 2009 and his still being updated with wonderful and helpful staff
-Sunless Skies is still in early access and has an entire other region that needs to be released yet its still my fave in the series and 100% worth the money as of now

Cons:
-Mostly text based, especially Fallen London
-Some of the lore is kinda buried and hard to get to, although whether thats a con is up to you, I personally find it cool to still find new stuff after years of playing
-none of the "main stories" of Fallen London are completed yet and after about a year or so of playing there isnt much to do until the next update
-Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies are spinoffs so although it's not necessary, some stuff might be confusing if you haven't played FL, (Although I find this more applies to Skies, I played Sea first and was fine)
-In Fallen London it's pretty hard to be a complete lawful good character, if thats something that bothers you
[img]https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/25000/capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1513937582.jpg[/img] ----- ----- If I had to choose an underrated game, I'd honestly have to choose Overgrowth. It's a game you can purchase on Steam, and has been in development since 2008, only just reaching its beta stages in 2017. Technically it is the successor to their first game, Lugaru. Synopsis: you're basically a rabbit looking for a purpose(and possibly some skulls to kick in). [b]Pros[/b] [LIST] [*]Unique fighting engine, detects bone structure instead of using health bars(EX: if you get kicked in the arm, you hold it close to your chest; if you land the wrong way, you can either break a leg, causing you to limp, or simply break your neck) [*]You can seriously kick some tail as an anthro animal [*]Each race has their own strengths and weaknesses(EX: rabbits are fast and jump high, wolves are powerhouses and only use their fists) [*]Easily able to be modded, developers encourage modding [*]Albeit small, the community is quite active(more so on their official Discord) [*]There is a mod for online multiplayer [*]You can create your own stories in the level creator [*]Adding onto the ability to mod, you can even edit your character model(I have seen bird and bat characters in the Steam Workshop) [*]They created their own game engine by scratch [/LIST] [b]Cons[/b] [LIST] [*]Can be clunky on lesser abled computers [*]Sometimes levels break [*]The level editor can be quite confusing [*]Generally, when there is a new update, a majority of the mods seem to break [*]Last I checked, the story mode has not been completed [/LIST] [i]Bonus[/i] Decided to add in some of their concept art! [img]https://i.playground.ru/i/pix/2762925/image.jpg[/img]
capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1513937582.jpg

If I had to choose an underrated game, I'd honestly have to choose Overgrowth. It's a game you can purchase on Steam, and has been in development since 2008, only just reaching its beta stages in 2017. Technically it is the successor to their first game, Lugaru. Synopsis: you're basically a rabbit looking for a purpose(and possibly some skulls to kick in).

Pros
  • Unique fighting engine, detects bone structure instead of using health bars(EX: if you get kicked in the arm, you hold it close to your chest; if you land the wrong way, you can either break a leg, causing you to limp, or simply break your neck)
  • You can seriously kick some tail as an anthro animal
  • Each race has their own strengths and weaknesses(EX: rabbits are fast and jump high, wolves are powerhouses and only use their fists)
  • Easily able to be modded, developers encourage modding
  • Albeit small, the community is quite active(more so on their official Discord)
  • There is a mod for online multiplayer
  • You can create your own stories in the level creator
  • Adding onto the ability to mod, you can even edit your character model(I have seen bird and bat characters in the Steam Workshop)
  • They created their own game engine by scratch

Cons
  • Can be clunky on lesser abled computers
  • Sometimes levels break
  • The level editor can be quite confusing
  • Generally, when there is a new update, a majority of the mods seem to break
  • Last I checked, the story mode has not been completed

Bonus
Decided to add in some of their concept art!
image.jpg
1 2 3 4 5