Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | unpopular Harry Potter opinions
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
[quote name="Requacy" date="2019-11-04 21:49:35" ] [quote name="DeathPhoenix" date="2019-11-04 17:51:37" ] [quote name="Orphanim" date="2019-11-02 13:50:09" ] -The Cursed Child was kind of pointless and felt more like a last-minute attempt to keep the Harry Potter side of the franchise relevant. I hear the stageplay is a bit better, though too bad we won't get it in America :') [/quote] WE DONT??? I suddenly need to drop everything and head to England. I liked the playscript, Delphi was really cool Also, DelphiXAlbus Potter [/quote] (Don't know if this is America as in North America or America as in USA) Actually I think it's currently either in New York City, NY, and San Francisco, CA. [/quote] yep! cursed child is on broadway and san francisco!
Requacy wrote on 2019-11-04 21:49:35:
DeathPhoenix wrote on 2019-11-04 17:51:37:
Orphanim wrote on 2019-11-02 13:50:09:
-The Cursed Child was kind of pointless and felt more like a last-minute attempt to keep the Harry Potter side of the franchise relevant. I hear the stageplay is a bit better, though too bad we won't get it in America :')

WE DONT???
I suddenly need to drop everything and head to England.

I liked the playscript, Delphi was really cool
Also, DelphiXAlbus Potter

(Don't know if this is America as in North America or America as in USA)

Actually I think it's currently either in New York City, NY, and San Francisco, CA.
yep! cursed child is on broadway and san francisco!
she/he/they | fr + 3
@******* I agree with, you should have put it in the books not announced on social media, no matter how much J.K says it, it doesn't matter you should have put in the books not social media. And I do not agree with the Slytherin being treated so badly, it was just three people, that's it.

~On a side note the crims of grinwald was a ok movie. It was forgettable and I only remember like two scenes from it and nothing about the plot. It could have been a good movie but I'm not sure what went wrong.
@******* I agree with, you should have put it in the books not announced on social media, no matter how much J.K says it, it doesn't matter you should have put in the books not social media. And I do not agree with the Slytherin being treated so badly, it was just three people, that's it.

~On a side note the crims of grinwald was a ok movie. It was forgettable and I only remember like two scenes from it and nothing about the plot. It could have been a good movie but I'm not sure what went wrong.
99catfish_zpsd8a90dbb.gif
J.K.Rowling should rerelease the books as a 2.0 edition to add ALL the stuff she forgot to add/wanted to change.
J.K.Rowling should rerelease the books as a 2.0 edition to add ALL the stuff she forgot to add/wanted to change.
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__
f44Zu0R.gif

Sometimes I feel like the characters are just living stereotypes. If you take them at the most basic level, that is what they are. Don't get me wrong, I love most of them, but I feel like they could've had so much more personality. Yes, by the seventh book, some had MAJOR development (like Neville, for one, is awesome), but the rest didn't have much character arc.

Also, the fifth book is the best one. I'm a fan of the slice of life stuff, and it gave us an inside view of actual wizardly living.

Harry and Ginny are great together. Harry and Hermione could've been a great couple, but I don't think the development for it was there. Harry even said it himself that he saw Hermione as a sister.

Lastly, the Cursed Child would've been better without the time travel. It breaks all the laws of time travel in the wizarding world. I think, if it had been written as an actual book and not a script, it could've had so much more potential. Everything felt too rushed, and the characters were not true to the originals. (Not to mention the villain. What the heck J.K. Rowling?)
Sometimes I feel like the characters are just living stereotypes. If you take them at the most basic level, that is what they are. Don't get me wrong, I love most of them, but I feel like they could've had so much more personality. Yes, by the seventh book, some had MAJOR development (like Neville, for one, is awesome), but the rest didn't have much character arc.

Also, the fifth book is the best one. I'm a fan of the slice of life stuff, and it gave us an inside view of actual wizardly living.

Harry and Ginny are great together. Harry and Hermione could've been a great couple, but I don't think the development for it was there. Harry even said it himself that he saw Hermione as a sister.

Lastly, the Cursed Child would've been better without the time travel. It breaks all the laws of time travel in the wizarding world. I think, if it had been written as an actual book and not a script, it could've had so much more potential. Everything felt too rushed, and the characters were not true to the originals. (Not to mention the villain. What the heck J.K. Rowling?)
arcanesparkle.gifBasically Redoing my Clan's Lore- for the third time.arcanesparkle.gif
@ohwowimcool - Wasn't expecting a reply to this thread over a year later haha, but I'm glad you agree with my points about Dumbledore. As for Slytherin, it's mainly the movies with this problem but the vibe it gives is essentially "everyone in this house is bad", at least to me. I dunno, it's been a long time since I revisited any sort of HP related media.
@ohwowimcool - Wasn't expecting a reply to this thread over a year later haha, but I'm glad you agree with my points about Dumbledore. As for Slytherin, it's mainly the movies with this problem but the vibe it gives is essentially "everyone in this house is bad", at least to me. I dunno, it's been a long time since I revisited any sort of HP related media.
ethanol_by_dislike_like-dbg3xow.png
I try really, really hard to like Ginny Weasley, and therefore I do. However, she had little to no personality in either the books or the movies, so it's very hard to be attached to her or even... see her as a major character. From what I've gathered through headcanons and fanfiction and whatnot, she seems like a character I'd really enjoy, so I imagine her with that personality. In reality though, I can never be sure that the attributes I imagine her having are ones she would truly have, because Rowling didn't give her any.

Just about the only events we can gather Ginny's personality from are her run-in with Tom Riddle in the second book (and its impact on her throughout the series) and her everlasting, dewy-eyed crush on Harry in the beginning of the series. We also know that she's a very powerful witch, but beyond that?

Anyone is welcome to correct me, because I do like Ginny, I really do, and I would like my positive opinion of her to be reinforced (or destroyed, if anyone has anything negative to say about her). Anything I missed in the books or films that showed she was really unique and with a stunning personality - because that's how I've always imagined her, but have little canonical evidence for such assumptions? Please do tell! I'd love to hear it.
I try really, really hard to like Ginny Weasley, and therefore I do. However, she had little to no personality in either the books or the movies, so it's very hard to be attached to her or even... see her as a major character. From what I've gathered through headcanons and fanfiction and whatnot, she seems like a character I'd really enjoy, so I imagine her with that personality. In reality though, I can never be sure that the attributes I imagine her having are ones she would truly have, because Rowling didn't give her any.

Just about the only events we can gather Ginny's personality from are her run-in with Tom Riddle in the second book (and its impact on her throughout the series) and her everlasting, dewy-eyed crush on Harry in the beginning of the series. We also know that she's a very powerful witch, but beyond that?

Anyone is welcome to correct me, because I do like Ginny, I really do, and I would like my positive opinion of her to be reinforced (or destroyed, if anyone has anything negative to say about her). Anything I missed in the books or films that showed she was really unique and with a stunning personality - because that's how I've always imagined her, but have little canonical evidence for such assumptions? Please do tell! I'd love to hear it.
Bu33PqP.png
@Briton [quote name="Briton" date="2018-09-11 22:26:06" ] The movies are terrible and do no justice to a lot of characters. For example - I know some people that never read the books that don't like Harry all that much as they think he's rather arrogant and thinks that everything is all about him. [/quote] Is that really an unpopular opinion? I mean among people who have both read the books and seen the films? As far as I've discerned most people feel that way. For example the movies basically turned Hermione into a Mary Sue and made Ron look like a brainless tool. Funnily enough, I also came here to post that I don't like Harry much and think he's kind of arrogant, but I got that impression from the books and not the movie. While other characters, especially in the movie, repeatedly comment on how kind Harry is, he's actually pretty mean and judgemental in the books even towards people who are his friends (some notable examples being Hermione and Luna) where unlike the movie, you can hear what goes on in his head. It's just that he doesn't always say these things out loud or act on his negative thoughts. Plus a lot of people forget that the the books are written from Harry's sometimes biased perspective and you can't necessarily take everything he thinks as true, so a lot of times things people end up thinking about other characters or situations are just Harry's flawed perceptions of what's happening, not actual fact. (i.e. when he gets annoyed with Ron and Hermione for what he considers bickering, but they get offended by this because they didn't see it that way at all and were enjoying what seems to have been a respectful intellectual conversation) That seems to be the main reason it goes mostly unnoticed edit: I meant to write people who have read both the books and seen the films, not people who have never done either lol oops, fixed that
@Briton
Briton wrote on 2018-09-11 22:26:06:
The movies are terrible and do no justice to a lot of characters.

For example - I know some people that never read the books that don't like Harry all that much as they think he's rather arrogant and thinks that everything is all about him.

Is that really an unpopular opinion? I mean among people who have both read the books and seen the films? As far as I've discerned most people feel that way. For example the movies basically turned Hermione into a Mary Sue and made Ron look like a brainless tool.

Funnily enough, I also came here to post that I don't like Harry much and think he's kind of arrogant, but I got that impression from the books and not the movie. While other characters, especially in the movie, repeatedly comment on how kind Harry is, he's actually pretty mean and judgemental in the books even towards people who are his friends (some notable examples being Hermione and Luna) where unlike the movie, you can hear what goes on in his head. It's just that he doesn't always say these things out loud or act on his negative thoughts.

Plus a lot of people forget that the the books are written from Harry's sometimes biased perspective and you can't necessarily take everything he thinks as true, so a lot of times things people end up thinking about other characters or situations are just Harry's flawed perceptions of what's happening, not actual fact. (i.e. when he gets annoyed with Ron and Hermione for what he considers bickering, but they get offended by this because they didn't see it that way at all and were enjoying what seems to have been a respectful intellectual conversation) That seems to be the main reason it goes mostly unnoticed

edit: I meant to write people who have read both the books and seen the films, not people who have never done either lol oops, fixed that
I keep hearing people defend the worldbuilding in this series, but it's actually...terrible. It's more full of holes than a cheese grater. Wizarding society should be mostly nonfunctional and the economy doesn't make any sense, much less the masquerade. If the wizards lived in some remote secluded location and never interacted with ordinary people, maybe it would make a little more sense, but even still...
I keep hearing people defend the worldbuilding in this series, but it's actually...terrible. It's more full of holes than a cheese grater. Wizarding society should be mostly nonfunctional and the economy doesn't make any sense, much less the masquerade. If the wizards lived in some remote secluded location and never interacted with ordinary people, maybe it would make a little more sense, but even still...
vojnGCQ.png
if you want to include lgbt+ rep you should include it in the media itself, not announce it over social media and hype it up when a movie with those characters is about to come out and then not do anything with them in that regard

ron's underrated and a fantastic and compelling character

this one might not be unpopular but i've had the argument a lot lately so uhh snape is awful and can choke. thanks

also, i've seen a few people in this thread say harry shouldn't have ended up with ginny (that's valid, i headcanon that they drift apart and separate a while after the war), but to be fair, marrying a weasley is a perfect natural conclusion to his arc in the series, it's ideal for him! they're his family
if you want to include lgbt+ rep you should include it in the media itself, not announce it over social media and hype it up when a movie with those characters is about to come out and then not do anything with them in that regard

ron's underrated and a fantastic and compelling character

this one might not be unpopular but i've had the argument a lot lately so uhh snape is awful and can choke. thanks

also, i've seen a few people in this thread say harry shouldn't have ended up with ginny (that's valid, i headcanon that they drift apart and separate a while after the war), but to be fair, marrying a weasley is a perfect natural conclusion to his arc in the series, it's ideal for him! they're his family
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Sailor
she/he
milkchai-cacat.png
@GravityGryphon I agree with you on all of these lol. But especially the last. I'm all but certain Rowling put them all together the way she did completely intentionally for that purpose, especially based on things she'd said before. (i.e. she's stated she doesn't think Ron and Hermione would actually work out without therapy either, but she put them together anyway for 'personal reasons') because by the end of the story, not only does Harry become a Weasley, but because Ron married Hermione she also becomes his family through Ron. All the people who most gave him a place to belong and treated and considered him family before that was true in a blood or legal sense, actually become his family officially in the end. I think she had intended from the beginning to do this, since she both wrote/foreshadowed/planned for the two relationships to happen from the start, and always wrote Harry as wanting a family more than anything else, and wrote the Weasleys and Hermione as always treating him as family or outright telling him he's their family, etc. It's essentially the series' "happily ever after" for Harry.
@GravityGryphon I agree with you on all of these lol. But especially the last. I'm all but certain Rowling put them all together the way she did completely intentionally for that purpose, especially based on things she'd said before. (i.e. she's stated she doesn't think Ron and Hermione would actually work out without therapy either, but she put them together anyway for 'personal reasons') because by the end of the story, not only does Harry become a Weasley, but because Ron married Hermione she also becomes his family through Ron. All the people who most gave him a place to belong and treated and considered him family before that was true in a blood or legal sense, actually become his family officially in the end. I think she had intended from the beginning to do this, since she both wrote/foreshadowed/planned for the two relationships to happen from the start, and always wrote Harry as wanting a family more than anything else, and wrote the Weasleys and Hermione as always treating him as family or outright telling him he's their family, etc. It's essentially the series' "happily ever after" for Harry.
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13