Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | An important question for Americans--
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Charias

After a quick search:

Crumpets seem to be pretty close to American pancakes (which are called flapjacks in some regions of the US for some reason?) I've definitely seen them on smaller locally owned cafe menus.

Flapjacks are just called Granola Bars in the US. But as far as I can tell, they are exactly the same thing? Home-made granola bars here are generally made with honey, while mass produced ones are generally made with some combination of corn syrup and other stuff.

As for marzipan: That's just heavier fondant, from what I can tell. It doesn't really get sold as a solo thing, but is generally reserved for cake/bakery decorating. I don't do any sort of baking, but I've definitely seen it around.

And finally, Cadbury chocolate is sold here by another candy company. (I think it's Hershey's?) It used to be that you could only find Cadbury Eggs during Easter time, but you can pretty much buy the bars in most grocery stores now.
@Charias

After a quick search:

Crumpets seem to be pretty close to American pancakes (which are called flapjacks in some regions of the US for some reason?) I've definitely seen them on smaller locally owned cafe menus.

Flapjacks are just called Granola Bars in the US. But as far as I can tell, they are exactly the same thing? Home-made granola bars here are generally made with honey, while mass produced ones are generally made with some combination of corn syrup and other stuff.

As for marzipan: That's just heavier fondant, from what I can tell. It doesn't really get sold as a solo thing, but is generally reserved for cake/bakery decorating. I don't do any sort of baking, but I've definitely seen it around.

And finally, Cadbury chocolate is sold here by another candy company. (I think it's Hershey's?) It used to be that you could only find Cadbury Eggs during Easter time, but you can pretty much buy the bars in most grocery stores now.
Accent Shop!

@Astrologian My family is from way up north near Canada. The difference between a flapjack and pancake as I understand it is, pancakes are fluffy, flapjacks are less so or not at all (more like a crepe). We would eat both growing up but flapjacks used less ingredients. [img]https://search.chow.com/thumbnail/800/0/www.chowstatic.com/blog-media/2016/05/Crepe-Pancake-Split-Header-ImageNaggingQuestion.png[/img]
@Astrologian

My family is from way up north near Canada. The difference between a flapjack and pancake as I understand it is, pancakes are fluffy, flapjacks are less so or not at all (more like a crepe). We would eat both growing up but flapjacks used less ingredients.

Crepe-Pancake-Split-Header-ImageNaggingQuestion.png
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

@Astrologian Nah, crumpets are nothing like American pancakes (I have had those [s]honestly I prefer them to English pancakes[/s]). Crumpets are like a cross between toast and a sponge?? I honestly can't think of anything else even remotely similar to them. They're really thick and full of holes, and you usually put butter and jam on them but they can be savoury too. [img]https://www.daringgourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Crumpets-1-square-edited.jpg[/img] They're just like toast but superior in every way. :P We have granola bars in the UK too, they're different. ^^ Flapjacks are *much* softer and tend to be sweeter. They also tend to be eaten fresh (i.e. you don't buy them in boxes like you would a cereal bar, you get them from the bakery area of the shop freshly made). They're like a granola bar with a texture more like a cake? Edit: dis is flapjack [img]https://sifu.unileversolutions.com/image/en-GB/recipe-topvisual/2/1260-709/golden-syrup-flapjack-50198552.jpg[/img] Marzipan isn't fondant, either. Marzipan's a thick paste made from almonds and sugar or honey. It can be used on cakes like fondant, but tastes completely different. Also sometimes it's eaten on its own in the form of cute little sweets, or coated in chocolate. :D As for chocolate... I'd thought Hershey's chocolate tasted different to Cadbury's? Or at least British Cadbury's chocolate tastes different. Way sweeter. Unless they've finally started selling [i]real[/i] chocolate over there since the last time I was over on that side of the world (granted that was 7-8 years ago now, so maybe!). :3
@Astrologian

Nah, crumpets are nothing like American pancakes (I have had those honestly I prefer them to English pancakes). Crumpets are like a cross between toast and a sponge?? I honestly can't think of anything else even remotely similar to them. They're really thick and full of holes, and you usually put butter and jam on them but they can be savoury too.

Crumpets-1-square-edited.jpg

They're just like toast but superior in every way. :P

We have granola bars in the UK too, they're different. ^^ Flapjacks are *much* softer and tend to be sweeter. They also tend to be eaten fresh (i.e. you don't buy them in boxes like you would a cereal bar, you get them from the bakery area of the shop freshly made). They're like a granola bar with a texture more like a cake?

Edit: dis is flapjack

golden-syrup-flapjack-50198552.jpg

Marzipan isn't fondant, either. Marzipan's a thick paste made from almonds and sugar or honey. It can be used on cakes like fondant, but tastes completely different. Also sometimes it's eaten on its own in the form of cute little sweets, or coated in chocolate. :D

As for chocolate... I'd thought Hershey's chocolate tasted different to Cadbury's? Or at least British Cadbury's chocolate tastes different. Way sweeter. Unless they've finally started selling real chocolate over there since the last time I was over on that side of the world (granted that was 7-8 years ago now, so maybe!). :3
Depends where you shop! I know for 100% sure that i've seen crumpets at Trader Joe's, and I'm pretty sure I've seen marzipan in other stores, too.
Depends where you shop! I know for 100% sure that i've seen crumpets at Trader Joe's, and I'm pretty sure I've seen marzipan in other stores, too.
4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
@Charias

We've got the hard bars that I'm guessing you call granola bars, and the soft ones. We just call them both granola bars. They aren't sold much as treats though, but the boxed ones can be pretty soft because of the syrup combination the companies sometimes use.

As for marzipan, I guess what I'm saying is that it's treated like a thicker fondant here. Not generally used as standalone food, but usually used for cake decorating.

Re: Cadbury: It's Cadbury brand chocolate (taste included), it's just sold by a different company here. As in, it says Cadbury on the wrapper, with Cadbury branding, it just has to go through legal hoops to avoid getting called an import brand (as an example: Kinder has this issue all the time).
@Charias

We've got the hard bars that I'm guessing you call granola bars, and the soft ones. We just call them both granola bars. They aren't sold much as treats though, but the boxed ones can be pretty soft because of the syrup combination the companies sometimes use.

As for marzipan, I guess what I'm saying is that it's treated like a thicker fondant here. Not generally used as standalone food, but usually used for cake decorating.

Re: Cadbury: It's Cadbury brand chocolate (taste included), it's just sold by a different company here. As in, it says Cadbury on the wrapper, with Cadbury branding, it just has to go through legal hoops to avoid getting called an import brand (as an example: Kinder has this issue all the time).
Accent Shop!

@Astrologian

Hmm. Maybe they're the same thing then... agh, this is way more confusing than it probably should be! >.>

I guess with the marzipan thing, the impressionI'm getting is that you do get it but it's used solely for on cakes, yeah? Soooo... just eating it on its own probably sounds weird, hehe. It's really sweet and sickly but so good tbh.
@Astrologian

Hmm. Maybe they're the same thing then... agh, this is way more confusing than it probably should be! >.>

I guess with the marzipan thing, the impressionI'm getting is that you do get it but it's used solely for on cakes, yeah? Soooo... just eating it on its own probably sounds weird, hehe. It's really sweet and sickly but so good tbh.
- yeah we have cadbury’s, it’s pretty popular
- i’ve only heard flapjacks as a synonym for pancakes so i guess no
- marzipan is garbage but yeah i’ve had it here
- i’ve has crumpets but not the good kind
- yeah we have cadbury’s, it’s pretty popular
- i’ve only heard flapjacks as a synonym for pancakes so i guess no
- marzipan is garbage but yeah i’ve had it here
- i’ve has crumpets but not the good kind
all of my hoards are located here! // free level twenty-four cauldron!
tumblr_inline_nfx4qkzLCB1r6zydg.png
Graze, the British health snack company, has a pretty solid foothold in my region and they sell flapjacks. I just ordered some off their website today, actually. But you can also find them in grocery stores. I have to assume they're authentic but to be honest I have no clue.
Graze, the British health snack company, has a pretty solid foothold in my region and they sell flapjacks. I just ordered some off their website today, actually. But you can also find them in grocery stores. I have to assume they're authentic but to be honest I have no clue.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
@Charias We have marzipan here but not the other things you mentioned (assuming marzipan means the same thing over there. Over here it means this sorta sweet almond paste thing that's hella good.) Marzipan is definitely more of a delicacy candy though. You don't find it in places like drugstores where you might find cheaper candy, but the German store in my downtown sells it, as well as our Cost Plus (overpriced "foreign" food/stuff store). I'm not sure I've seen it in a grocery store or not. It's probably somewhere if I bothered to look for it.

Edit: We have cadbury chocolate but not a lotta places sell it... tbh, I think cadbury chocolate just doesn't have a taste a lotta people like here. Imo Americans prefer richer, darker chocolate. Even Americans who prefer milk chocolate don't prefer it as sweet and milky as Cadbury can be. Not to act like our chocolate is better over here. I live in the Bay Area, and we have both Ghiradeli and Tcho, so I might be spoiled when it comes to chocolate brands.
@Charias We have marzipan here but not the other things you mentioned (assuming marzipan means the same thing over there. Over here it means this sorta sweet almond paste thing that's hella good.) Marzipan is definitely more of a delicacy candy though. You don't find it in places like drugstores where you might find cheaper candy, but the German store in my downtown sells it, as well as our Cost Plus (overpriced "foreign" food/stuff store). I'm not sure I've seen it in a grocery store or not. It's probably somewhere if I bothered to look for it.

Edit: We have cadbury chocolate but not a lotta places sell it... tbh, I think cadbury chocolate just doesn't have a taste a lotta people like here. Imo Americans prefer richer, darker chocolate. Even Americans who prefer milk chocolate don't prefer it as sweet and milky as Cadbury can be. Not to act like our chocolate is better over here. I live in the Bay Area, and we have both Ghiradeli and Tcho, so I might be spoiled when it comes to chocolate brands.
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
Well, I've seen them or at least things like them around my area before, so I guess yes?

Also, question of my own, do you guys have spoonbread
Well, I've seen them or at least things like them around my area before, so I guess yes?

Also, question of my own, do you guys have spoonbread
000000000000000dragonsnake.gif
Cis/She/They
rollover at 3:00 AM for me
On mobile often
Mostly inactive

Olifoli.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7