Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Your strange phobias
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Terrified of:
Large bodies of water
Any bug bigger than my thumb (excluding butterflies, moths and spiders)
Falling from any height
Aggression (I know it's odd but please refrain from asking)
Terrified of:
Large bodies of water
Any bug bigger than my thumb (excluding butterflies, moths and spiders)
Falling from any height
Aggression (I know it's odd but please refrain from asking)
She/Her + 21 + FR Member for 7 years!!!
Please click my kids!

o0JJc1.png nuOhC2.png 5wmOU1.png Spt881.png I75Ap1.png HhIIz1.png 7h6wN1.png
i'm fine with nearly all bugs, apart from centipedes and millipedes. they freak me out so much there's just too many legs and they're too long and so gross and UGH and house centipedes are the worst i can;'t even look at pictures of them

also massive structures/buildings/creatures/whatever? it's not as bad as the centipede thing but i get this horrible sick/panicky feeling whenever i'm near something that's a heck of a lot bigger than me and it's probably got something to do with my fear of heights
i'm fine with nearly all bugs, apart from centipedes and millipedes. they freak me out so much there's just too many legs and they're too long and so gross and UGH and house centipedes are the worst i can;'t even look at pictures of them

also massive structures/buildings/creatures/whatever? it's not as bad as the centipede thing but i get this horrible sick/panicky feeling whenever i'm near something that's a heck of a lot bigger than me and it's probably got something to do with my fear of heights
tumblr_p8rcdlSEsz1vzel59o2_540.gif
... Ehhh...
Okay that's pretty awkward but I'm terrified of wet stuff, where you could slip and fall. I don't know if that's a phobia, but I never walk on ice or in puddle or wet stones for that reason.
I always feel like the moment I put my foot on a slippy stuff I'm going to fall back and break my neck.
... Ehhh...
Okay that's pretty awkward but I'm terrified of wet stuff, where you could slip and fall. I don't know if that's a phobia, but I never walk on ice or in puddle or wet stones for that reason.
I always feel like the moment I put my foot on a slippy stuff I'm going to fall back and break my neck.
fire_rose_by_dogi_crimson-darmgwr.png
trypophobia -- the fear of holes.

please never never never NEVER never look that up in google images, okay (terrible personal experience i don't want anyone else to ever have to go through)

please never never never NEVER never look that up in google images, okay (terrible personal experience i don't want anyone else to ever have to go through)
looking for art of my oc!
ART SHOP
ACCENT AND SKIN SHOP (STUDIO MOONGAZE)
TUMBLR
[quote name="cosmicConundrum" date=2017-06-26 14:00:11] trypophobia -- the fear of holes. please never never never NEVER never look that up in google images, okay (terrible personal experience i don't want anyone else to ever have to go through) [/quote] It doesn't bother me too much, but the weird and gross ones on the feet are awful. Other then that they're fine ----- Also I absolutely hate sharp objects, especially knives and shavers. If I see images of knives or shavers they make me cringe. I think it was because one time (spoilered it because it's a little bit gross) [spoiler] I hurt myself with a shaver, don't worry I was fine [/spoiler] Talking about sharp objects make me really uneasy.
cosmicConundrum wrote on 2017-06-26:

It doesn't bother me too much, but the weird and gross ones on the feet are awful. Other then that they're fine
Also I absolutely hate sharp objects, especially knives and shavers. If I see images of knives or shavers they make me cringe. I think it was because one time (spoilered it because it's a little bit gross) I hurt myself with a shaver, don't worry I was fine Talking about sharp objects make me really uneasy.
2gzbgvt.png eq6zQ9M.png
AaYNmEX.png
rUoKR6y.png
ypcKWM0.png
Don't know if there's an actual term for this but I have a fear of getting stuff under my nails, such as sand and dirt.
Don't know if there's an actual term for this but I have a fear of getting stuff under my nails, such as sand and dirt.
CLIQUE_SIG_BANNER_5_LAVENDER.png
Oh boy phobias! Well, my biggest phobia is germaphobia. I'm infamous for always carrying disinfectant wipes with me! And also the time I washed my own mouth out with soap at school! (A guy threw dirt at me while I was talking. AND IT GOT IN MY MOUTH! I chased him roaring for a good 500 feet, but he managed to lose me because I'm a slow runner. So I circled back, went inside the school building, and sanitized my mouth.) Most of my phobia stems from having OCD and catching an unidentified retro virus in kindergarten, which was terrifying, especially since the other children didn't wash there hands! It was worse when I was younger, I'd use so much hand sanitizer that my hands would dry out, and the skin at my knuckles would crack and ooze blood. Fun!

Second biggest phobia is of falling. Not heights, those don't bother me unless I feel like I might fall, but the actual sensation of falling. Negative G force in general really. It's somewhere between blind panic, and motion sickness. I can't ride most rollercosters because of it. It starts to go down, my brain switches to blind panic, I hyperventilate, it's awful. So it's impossible to talk me into getting on one, unless the only fall is ten feet or less, or lasts like thirty seconds. Which means I've ridden a total of three! I think if I went on one of the big ones, I might actually die of a heart attack (heart problems/deformities run in my mom's family, so even though she's never had problems, I'm still leery.) It all started because my dad made me ride the tower of terror ride at Disneyland when I was four. I didn't have this problem before that, and I screamed at such a high pitch that no one could hear it over the other screaming, and I made my throat bleed...

Then there's brains. I wouldn't call it a phobia, but they make me uncomfortable. I have a pretty high tolerance for gore and organs apparently. I always thought it was just decent, but when we had to watch videos showing people who died violently in car wrecks in drivers ed, most of the other students start looking visibly uncomfortable or ill, and I wasn't that bothered. I was like 'Oh, there's a guy folded in half, okay'. Until a guys brain fell out of his skull when his body was being moved, and in my head I went 'GAAHH! No! The brain stays in the skull. The brain stays in the skull!' Same reaction if brains get involved in horror manga...I can do dissections just fine, and other organs don't bother me. I'm usually the person identifying each organ and walking everyone else in the group through it (which in one case meant yelling at some boys to stop trying to shove a lobe of a frog liver down it's throat, and just put it with the rest of the liver... -_-) I will never be a neurosurgeon...

I also get really uncomfortable in wide open spaces. I'm basically the opposite of claustrophobic, since small spaces make me feel secure. Open spaces though...I always feel exposed, like there's no where for me to hide. And nothing to use to outmaneuver things (I'm not fast at a flat out run, but I can change directions really quickly and duck and dodge things well too. So I have a field advantage in more cluttered surroundings.)

I also hate most crowded spaces, because I feel like any time I turn around there'll be still be people! Like, I can't find somewhere to be by myself (introvert nightmare.) Smaller, less dense crowds I'm okay with. If there's room for me to run around people (which I've been known to do since I don't run into them,) or a few quieter corners, I'm good. If there's a toddler ramming me into a basilisk tank and a giant family feeding doritos to monkeys like this one time at an aquarium... *shudders*

I don't really get scared of non-parasitic animals much, but I am scared of dogs a little. I don't really understand their logic much, so I can't predict them well. And something about the way they run at you with their heads raised, and a sort of loping motion...just sends my brain into alarm. I know logically that most dogs won't do anything to me, so I can stay calm around them. But if I'm around one with more energy than sense, my brain registers it as a threat, because it wants to interact but isn't smart enough to understand it could hurt someone. Smart low energy dogs I'm fine with though, as long as they don't lick me. (Because ew, germs...)

I don't like needles either. Which is counterproductive since I'm a bit of a vaccine freak (I try to get whatever optional vaccines I can.) I know logically that most shots only hurt a little (though some like flu or some meningitis shots can have painful after effects,) but something about it just makes me really uneasy. I think it's because I had some sort of bloodwork done during that virus (I don't remember the details) that required partial anesthetic. They stuck a goop-filled patch on my arm, and apparently you were supposed to give it at least thirty minutes to take effect, but no one told us. I got needles stuck in my arm after only ten. It. Hurt. A. Lot. I knew it wasn't supposed to hurt, so I didn't want to be a wimp and admit that it did. So I tried to ignore it, counted the tentacles on an anemone poster, re-read the word anemone over and over, then finally caved and asked if they could please hurry. Then they got confused because I wasn't supposed to feel anything and everyone figured out what happened. But they couldn't unhook all the equipment before the test was over, so I had to tough it out...good times!

I'm also scared of tooth related incidents. I don't know why. Most of my phobias have reasons, but this one... *shrugs* I think it started when I learned that humans only get two sets. So the idea of losing, or permanently damaging something so irreplaceable was terrifying. Because of this and my germaphobia, I spend twenty minutes brushing my teeth. I've had a lot of nightmares where my teeth just started falling out of my mouth for various reasons (usually disease involving decaying gums - which ties in with the germaphobia, but sometimes injury or torture.) But I know that now you can get caps, or implants to replace damaged or missing teeth, but it doesn't help. Recently, the orthodontist filed the tips of my four front teeth without explaining or asking me first. I was so rattled, after leaving the office I spent three hours crying over it! They don't match the serrations on my lower teeth anymore! It's unnatural! I felt really violated, but I was also mad at myself for getting so upset over something so small...

On a related note, I am not scared of doctors. I am not scared of dentists. But I am scared of orthodontists now. I used to not understand those fears, because I'm a medically inclined person, and most doctors I've encountered would explain what they were doing and why, ("I'm doing X because Y.") So I've always understood what was happening. Not at the orthodontist. They just did stuff and ordered you to do stuff without explaining anything, which was very alarming, and disconcerting for me. And during the incident I could tell something was happening because I could feel it, but I was too afraid to do anything. If I tried to move or interrupt, she could make a mistake and I could get injured. So all I could think to do was sit, and it made me feel powerless...which I hate...

That's all I can think of right now. I'll come back if I think of anymore. I've got all sorts of weird hangups and stuff because of the OCD, so I might have overlooked something. ^_^
Oh boy phobias! Well, my biggest phobia is germaphobia. I'm infamous for always carrying disinfectant wipes with me! And also the time I washed my own mouth out with soap at school! (A guy threw dirt at me while I was talking. AND IT GOT IN MY MOUTH! I chased him roaring for a good 500 feet, but he managed to lose me because I'm a slow runner. So I circled back, went inside the school building, and sanitized my mouth.) Most of my phobia stems from having OCD and catching an unidentified retro virus in kindergarten, which was terrifying, especially since the other children didn't wash there hands! It was worse when I was younger, I'd use so much hand sanitizer that my hands would dry out, and the skin at my knuckles would crack and ooze blood. Fun!

Second biggest phobia is of falling. Not heights, those don't bother me unless I feel like I might fall, but the actual sensation of falling. Negative G force in general really. It's somewhere between blind panic, and motion sickness. I can't ride most rollercosters because of it. It starts to go down, my brain switches to blind panic, I hyperventilate, it's awful. So it's impossible to talk me into getting on one, unless the only fall is ten feet or less, or lasts like thirty seconds. Which means I've ridden a total of three! I think if I went on one of the big ones, I might actually die of a heart attack (heart problems/deformities run in my mom's family, so even though she's never had problems, I'm still leery.) It all started because my dad made me ride the tower of terror ride at Disneyland when I was four. I didn't have this problem before that, and I screamed at such a high pitch that no one could hear it over the other screaming, and I made my throat bleed...

Then there's brains. I wouldn't call it a phobia, but they make me uncomfortable. I have a pretty high tolerance for gore and organs apparently. I always thought it was just decent, but when we had to watch videos showing people who died violently in car wrecks in drivers ed, most of the other students start looking visibly uncomfortable or ill, and I wasn't that bothered. I was like 'Oh, there's a guy folded in half, okay'. Until a guys brain fell out of his skull when his body was being moved, and in my head I went 'GAAHH! No! The brain stays in the skull. The brain stays in the skull!' Same reaction if brains get involved in horror manga...I can do dissections just fine, and other organs don't bother me. I'm usually the person identifying each organ and walking everyone else in the group through it (which in one case meant yelling at some boys to stop trying to shove a lobe of a frog liver down it's throat, and just put it with the rest of the liver... -_-) I will never be a neurosurgeon...

I also get really uncomfortable in wide open spaces. I'm basically the opposite of claustrophobic, since small spaces make me feel secure. Open spaces though...I always feel exposed, like there's no where for me to hide. And nothing to use to outmaneuver things (I'm not fast at a flat out run, but I can change directions really quickly and duck and dodge things well too. So I have a field advantage in more cluttered surroundings.)

I also hate most crowded spaces, because I feel like any time I turn around there'll be still be people! Like, I can't find somewhere to be by myself (introvert nightmare.) Smaller, less dense crowds I'm okay with. If there's room for me to run around people (which I've been known to do since I don't run into them,) or a few quieter corners, I'm good. If there's a toddler ramming me into a basilisk tank and a giant family feeding doritos to monkeys like this one time at an aquarium... *shudders*

I don't really get scared of non-parasitic animals much, but I am scared of dogs a little. I don't really understand their logic much, so I can't predict them well. And something about the way they run at you with their heads raised, and a sort of loping motion...just sends my brain into alarm. I know logically that most dogs won't do anything to me, so I can stay calm around them. But if I'm around one with more energy than sense, my brain registers it as a threat, because it wants to interact but isn't smart enough to understand it could hurt someone. Smart low energy dogs I'm fine with though, as long as they don't lick me. (Because ew, germs...)

I don't like needles either. Which is counterproductive since I'm a bit of a vaccine freak (I try to get whatever optional vaccines I can.) I know logically that most shots only hurt a little (though some like flu or some meningitis shots can have painful after effects,) but something about it just makes me really uneasy. I think it's because I had some sort of bloodwork done during that virus (I don't remember the details) that required partial anesthetic. They stuck a goop-filled patch on my arm, and apparently you were supposed to give it at least thirty minutes to take effect, but no one told us. I got needles stuck in my arm after only ten. It. Hurt. A. Lot. I knew it wasn't supposed to hurt, so I didn't want to be a wimp and admit that it did. So I tried to ignore it, counted the tentacles on an anemone poster, re-read the word anemone over and over, then finally caved and asked if they could please hurry. Then they got confused because I wasn't supposed to feel anything and everyone figured out what happened. But they couldn't unhook all the equipment before the test was over, so I had to tough it out...good times!

I'm also scared of tooth related incidents. I don't know why. Most of my phobias have reasons, but this one... *shrugs* I think it started when I learned that humans only get two sets. So the idea of losing, or permanently damaging something so irreplaceable was terrifying. Because of this and my germaphobia, I spend twenty minutes brushing my teeth. I've had a lot of nightmares where my teeth just started falling out of my mouth for various reasons (usually disease involving decaying gums - which ties in with the germaphobia, but sometimes injury or torture.) But I know that now you can get caps, or implants to replace damaged or missing teeth, but it doesn't help. Recently, the orthodontist filed the tips of my four front teeth without explaining or asking me first. I was so rattled, after leaving the office I spent three hours crying over it! They don't match the serrations on my lower teeth anymore! It's unnatural! I felt really violated, but I was also mad at myself for getting so upset over something so small...

On a related note, I am not scared of doctors. I am not scared of dentists. But I am scared of orthodontists now. I used to not understand those fears, because I'm a medically inclined person, and most doctors I've encountered would explain what they were doing and why, ("I'm doing X because Y.") So I've always understood what was happening. Not at the orthodontist. They just did stuff and ordered you to do stuff without explaining anything, which was very alarming, and disconcerting for me. And during the incident I could tell something was happening because I could feel it, but I was too afraid to do anything. If I tried to move or interrupt, she could make a mistake and I could get injured. So all I could think to do was sit, and it made me feel powerless...which I hate...

That's all I can think of right now. I'll come back if I think of anymore. I've got all sorts of weird hangups and stuff because of the OCD, so I might have overlooked something. ^_^
jdDV4Lt.png
Oh my gosh. O_O I just realized how huge that was...I've got more issues than I thought! XD Sorry about that!
Oh my gosh. O_O I just realized how huge that was...I've got more issues than I thought! XD Sorry about that!
jdDV4Lt.png
I have a fear of getting lost in a crowd of millennials
I have a fear of getting lost in a crowd of millennials
109dcbb08671a69cebba15e6860b2efdb65bde8f_128.gifavatar_4df3de827152_128.png Voltron And Twenty One Pilots
@RabidWhovian

wow same, I also get really anxious if there's a balloon in the room due to my sensory processing disorder, which sometimes makes working in childcare hell given how much kids love balloons

I also really love animals, even ones that people don't typically like. Although I'm pretty chill with wasps, they don't usually attack you unless you disturb their nest, so I'm cool if I see one in my room.

I have a fear of those spinny blade things americans have in sinks despite never actually seeing one in real life. Whenever someone uses one on screen I just can't watch it, it would probably be even worse in real life.
@RabidWhovian

wow same, I also get really anxious if there's a balloon in the room due to my sensory processing disorder, which sometimes makes working in childcare hell given how much kids love balloons

I also really love animals, even ones that people don't typically like. Although I'm pretty chill with wasps, they don't usually attack you unless you disturb their nest, so I'm cool if I see one in my room.

I have a fear of those spinny blade things americans have in sinks despite never actually seeing one in real life. Whenever someone uses one on screen I just can't watch it, it would probably be even worse in real life.
- - - - - - - fe8sU3E.png- - - -7ZQASc7.png- - - - 9744ec8f5715461bd7c0486279122cf38a8dbdb1.png
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17