Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Kitchen mistakes You've Made
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I tried making white chocolate fudge a few months ago and put too much sweetened condensed milk in so it never set. Around that time I was also making French macarons and the one batch I made at like 10pm freaked me out because I thought I ran out of powdered sugar. Turns out I had a new box stashed away behind a bunch of stuff, but I was frantically looking for any extra because I needed to finish making them that night and my meringue was already done so I couldn't wait that long.

This isn't a mistake, but my mother (and the other women on her side of the family) dry kitchen towels by hanging them on the oven door and essentially baking one side on super low. They have burned many towels this way, but they still do it. *shrug*
I tried making white chocolate fudge a few months ago and put too much sweetened condensed milk in so it never set. Around that time I was also making French macarons and the one batch I made at like 10pm freaked me out because I thought I ran out of powdered sugar. Turns out I had a new box stashed away behind a bunch of stuff, but I was frantically looking for any extra because I needed to finish making them that night and my meringue was already done so I couldn't wait that long.

This isn't a mistake, but my mother (and the other women on her side of the family) dry kitchen towels by hanging them on the oven door and essentially baking one side on super low. They have burned many towels this way, but they still do it. *shrug*
tumblr_nsl2ezQmvD1slad33o1_250.png
@Clarinetosaurus

Oh my god that towel thing is soemthing that I would do honestly. I turn the oven on and leave it open to help bread rise and put a towel over it. It's a miracle I haven't set one on fire yet.
@Clarinetosaurus

Oh my god that towel thing is soemthing that I would do honestly. I turn the oven on and leave it open to help bread rise and put a towel over it. It's a miracle I haven't set one on fire yet.
smaller_sig_doodle.png
This was when I was like, 8 but my friend and I were makinf meringue cookies and she confused them with another cookie that was jelly-filled, so we tried to fill the cookies with jelly... we got egg white-and-sugar pancakes and sadness.

There were probably others, but that's the one that stands out to me
This was when I was like, 8 but my friend and I were makinf meringue cookies and she confused them with another cookie that was jelly-filled, so we tried to fill the cookies with jelly... we got egg white-and-sugar pancakes and sadness.

There were probably others, but that's the one that stands out to me
iiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz04t.pngiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz085.pngiiiiiiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz0bq.png
@Shadowpuff
Ah, good. That's a relief. Rice tubes are nice - especially during flu season.
@Shadowpuff
Ah, good. That's a relief. Rice tubes are nice - especially during flu season.
I haven't really made any mistakes that stand out tbh. and not too many since moving here. burned crescent rolls once. and for some reason, accidentally destroyed an oven mitt by putting it on the burner.
I was wearing it, and... I don't know how it happened, but I put it on the burner and pulled it off right away and it was just ruined and slightly burned. my stove here is electric, so it didn't catch on fire, it just like... sorta melted.
RIP that blue oven mitt, still have yet to get a replacement. at least I still have my small pink one.

oh, I just remembered! once, when I was much younger, I caught part of a paper towel on fire because it was too close to the stove. thankfully I was able to put that out before anything terrible happened. never put one anywhere near the stove after that!

I once burned my arm by bumping it on the oven door when I was getting something out of it. had a burn mark on my arm for the longest time.

ok but I have something even better, except this was something my brother did. he's a weird person that cooks ramen in the microwave. at the time the accident happened, we had these plastic bowls we used all the time.
my brother forgot to put water in the bowl.
as a result, he destroyed our relatively new microwave, and a big part of our apartment smelled like burnt plastic for at least a week. x__x
I haven't really made any mistakes that stand out tbh. and not too many since moving here. burned crescent rolls once. and for some reason, accidentally destroyed an oven mitt by putting it on the burner.
I was wearing it, and... I don't know how it happened, but I put it on the burner and pulled it off right away and it was just ruined and slightly burned. my stove here is electric, so it didn't catch on fire, it just like... sorta melted.
RIP that blue oven mitt, still have yet to get a replacement. at least I still have my small pink one.

oh, I just remembered! once, when I was much younger, I caught part of a paper towel on fire because it was too close to the stove. thankfully I was able to put that out before anything terrible happened. never put one anywhere near the stove after that!

I once burned my arm by bumping it on the oven door when I was getting something out of it. had a burn mark on my arm for the longest time.

ok but I have something even better, except this was something my brother did. he's a weird person that cooks ramen in the microwave. at the time the accident happened, we had these plastic bowls we used all the time.
my brother forgot to put water in the bowl.
as a result, he destroyed our relatively new microwave, and a big part of our apartment smelled like burnt plastic for at least a week. x__x
they/them | +2 FR time
I have pings disabled
i overseason everything

I LOVE THE SPICE BUT MAYBE TOO MUCH
i overseason everything

I LOVE THE SPICE BUT MAYBE TOO MUCH
Nebula
He / Xe / They
Deviantart at ProtoplanetaryNebula
+2h FR time

GAY PRIDE!
In 2015, mom and I were making fudge for Christmas gifts, and we were looking for some new recipes to try because we were on a roll making them. We found a recipe for orange creamsicle fudge in one of mom's cookbooks and got super excited, and went out to get the stuff to make it.
When we started cooking the sugar mixture, mom noted the temperature seemed odd compared to the other fudges we had made (I can't recall if it was too high or too low) but we decided, "eh, trust the cookbook."
WELL.
This thing was closer to taffy consistency when it finally came off the heat. The recipe told us to stir... orange concentrate into it, I think? We attempted to do this but it was near impossible.
We knew something was wrong when the book told us to pour the mixture out and we couldn't even get it out of the bowl.
We almost had to throw away the bowl- I think we managed to save it by sacrificing a sponge to scrub the mixture out of the bowl.
We decided to stick to our other fudge recipes for the rest of the candy that Christmas. We also learned to trust your instincts c':

(However, we found a new orange fudge recipe this past Christmas and it was the best thing we made this year!! So that was good!)
In 2015, mom and I were making fudge for Christmas gifts, and we were looking for some new recipes to try because we were on a roll making them. We found a recipe for orange creamsicle fudge in one of mom's cookbooks and got super excited, and went out to get the stuff to make it.
When we started cooking the sugar mixture, mom noted the temperature seemed odd compared to the other fudges we had made (I can't recall if it was too high or too low) but we decided, "eh, trust the cookbook."
WELL.
This thing was closer to taffy consistency when it finally came off the heat. The recipe told us to stir... orange concentrate into it, I think? We attempted to do this but it was near impossible.
We knew something was wrong when the book told us to pour the mixture out and we couldn't even get it out of the bowl.
We almost had to throw away the bowl- I think we managed to save it by sacrificing a sponge to scrub the mixture out of the bowl.
We decided to stick to our other fudge recipes for the rest of the candy that Christmas. We also learned to trust your instincts c':

(However, we found a new orange fudge recipe this past Christmas and it was the best thing we made this year!! So that was good!)
Once burned a pot of rice so bad I had to chisel it off the bottom of the pot with a knife.
I was fourteen. Gimme a break.
Once burned a pot of rice so bad I had to chisel it off the bottom of the pot with a knife.
I was fourteen. Gimme a break.
ceasefire. now.
@SpaceFerrari

Oh my.

NOT AS BAD AS ME!!

I once accidentally set the timer for my microwave to 10 minutes instead of 1 minute for popcorn. It didn't end up well, you could barely tell I made popcorn in the first place. Smoke filled the kitchen when I opened the microwave door.. It smelt like over-burnt popcorn for a good week. My parents were not proud.
@SpaceFerrari

Oh my.

NOT AS BAD AS ME!!

I once accidentally set the timer for my microwave to 10 minutes instead of 1 minute for popcorn. It didn't end up well, you could barely tell I made popcorn in the first place. Smoke filled the kitchen when I opened the microwave door.. It smelt like over-burnt popcorn for a good week. My parents were not proud.
@SpaceFerrari
@atomicApplejuice

Okay so similar story! I was once hanging out with my GF at the time now ex, and I wanted a snack. She didn't tell me the microwave in the school lobby was super powerful and I put on my popcorn for the normal time. 2.5 minutes. after just 30 seconds the smoke alarms go off. I SET OFF THE SMOKE ALARMS IN THE COLLEGE AND WE ALL HAD TO GO OUT IN THE RAIN! THEY CALLED THE POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENT!
@SpaceFerrari
@atomicApplejuice

Okay so similar story! I was once hanging out with my GF at the time now ex, and I wanted a snack. She didn't tell me the microwave in the school lobby was super powerful and I put on my popcorn for the normal time. 2.5 minutes. after just 30 seconds the smoke alarms go off. I SET OFF THE SMOKE ALARMS IN THE COLLEGE AND WE ALL HAD TO GO OUT IN THE RAIN! THEY CALLED THE POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENT!
smaller_sig_doodle.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7