Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Mary Sue confession thread!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Brace yourselves.

My worst was an unholy half-selkie, half-"magical winged unicorn thing" who could shapeshift between a winged pinto unicorn and a brown-haired human with icy blue eyes and a beautiful singing voice. Of course it was all A DARK ANGSTY SECRETTM because the winged unicorns were all killed and the selkies were hunting her for cloak because she was an abomination. She obviously couldn't live in the sea but would die if she didn't touch it and sing to it(?!) at least once a week. Also she was once in twu wuv with a misunderstood kelpie who lived a normal life as a sailor before he drowned (… how?) or who in some versions got amnesia and married someone else. She always wore a "lilac ribbon" from her true love and a braid with red wooden beads which sometimes came from a half-siren mentor who taught her how to sing before turning to the dark side.

I'm blushing at my screen from writing that but at least she was never on the internet, only in e-mails. To be fair I probably owe her part of my year 7 biology grade for shifting my interests from mythology to homologous structures and the skeleton.
Brace yourselves.

My worst was an unholy half-selkie, half-"magical winged unicorn thing" who could shapeshift between a winged pinto unicorn and a brown-haired human with icy blue eyes and a beautiful singing voice. Of course it was all A DARK ANGSTY SECRETTM because the winged unicorns were all killed and the selkies were hunting her for cloak because she was an abomination. She obviously couldn't live in the sea but would die if she didn't touch it and sing to it(?!) at least once a week. Also she was once in twu wuv with a misunderstood kelpie who lived a normal life as a sailor before he drowned (… how?) or who in some versions got amnesia and married someone else. She always wore a "lilac ribbon" from her true love and a braid with red wooden beads which sometimes came from a half-siren mentor who taught her how to sing before turning to the dark side.

I'm blushing at my screen from writing that but at least she was never on the internet, only in e-mails. To be fair I probably owe her part of my year 7 biology grade for shifting my interests from mythology to homologous structures and the skeleton.
CLCsigWT.png
Luckily I don't have too many characters I'm ashamed of, but all the ones I do have are Sonic fancharacters. e-e I'm still into Sonic and the only FC I use now, Aero the Lynx, has been written to be more of a background character in the Sonic universe than anything. She does admire Sonic for his heroic deeds, though.

Anyway, sssooooooo many of my old Sonic FCs were either sues or just plain stupid. Ugh. I had this one character, Shadoto the Fox, who could control fire...a neon green and pink fox/cat hybrid named Lirika...a few fancharacters based on other people's FCs because I was lacking originality and thought those designs were so cool...recolors of Shadow, Knuckles, and Chip...and a blue cat named Electrikae who could control electricity. Ugghhh. (At least Electrikae had the most unique design of the bunch; not being a recolor and all. She was also the first creation back in my Sonic FC-making craze.)
Luckily I don't have too many characters I'm ashamed of, but all the ones I do have are Sonic fancharacters. e-e I'm still into Sonic and the only FC I use now, Aero the Lynx, has been written to be more of a background character in the Sonic universe than anything. She does admire Sonic for his heroic deeds, though.

Anyway, sssooooooo many of my old Sonic FCs were either sues or just plain stupid. Ugh. I had this one character, Shadoto the Fox, who could control fire...a neon green and pink fox/cat hybrid named Lirika...a few fancharacters based on other people's FCs because I was lacking originality and thought those designs were so cool...recolors of Shadow, Knuckles, and Chip...and a blue cat named Electrikae who could control electricity. Ugghhh. (At least Electrikae had the most unique design of the bunch; not being a recolor and all. She was also the first creation back in my Sonic FC-making craze.)
8550aee9e6b0240ca32ebdcfd04fa62ae2e7e644.gif
73a7d53744f1550afcf2d03fe0ec197aeb84e76d.gif1b1f6d94f932296bf41fbe9a2c0ff9d5292c69d8.gif54b04308bbd423d93f4e5fc7fb40a5afee4f256d.gif6c8b9aca5e1946f522f766dc4d5891390b55bf3d.gif
z3FSuck.pngU0bFCPN.pngl8NOdbs.png
FqAY3t1.pnghh5n4WA.pngsbmtjDC.png
g31.png
I had an OC named Ambrosia. Yeah, probably enough right there.
But she was literally the ambrosia in Greek mythology embodied. Whoever was able to take her soul would be immortal and essentially invincible. It was classic Twilight though. Everyone wants her (even her step brother), she doesn't want anyone except for the mysterious guy. He of course doesn't want her dead and protects her, blah blah blah. The actual premise wasn't bad, I could probably reform it and produce something kind of nice, but the execution and characters, bleh.
I had an OC named Ambrosia. Yeah, probably enough right there.
But she was literally the ambrosia in Greek mythology embodied. Whoever was able to take her soul would be immortal and essentially invincible. It was classic Twilight though. Everyone wants her (even her step brother), she doesn't want anyone except for the mysterious guy. He of course doesn't want her dead and protects her, blah blah blah. The actual premise wasn't bad, I could probably reform it and produce something kind of nice, but the execution and characters, bleh.
Fur Affinity

I take commissions here.
Slots open.
Oh man my earliest Sue was for the Naruto fandom xD

I don't remember her name but she was Orochimaru's daughter with a special necklace that gave her dark powers. She had a pet snake that grew to the size of a building at will and of course all the angsty badboys were in love with her. I think she wound up making out with like 5 different people? She was gorgeous and unstoppable and wound up killing Orochimaru and saving Konoha. Pretty sure Itachi adopted her and she worked for the Akatsuki for a while in there. She may or may not have had wings... and to top it off I think I made all of the teens live together in dorms? Bashed Sakura and Ino like you wouldn't believe. I was in middle school. It was bad.
Oh man my earliest Sue was for the Naruto fandom xD

I don't remember her name but she was Orochimaru's daughter with a special necklace that gave her dark powers. She had a pet snake that grew to the size of a building at will and of course all the angsty badboys were in love with her. I think she wound up making out with like 5 different people? She was gorgeous and unstoppable and wound up killing Orochimaru and saving Konoha. Pretty sure Itachi adopted her and she worked for the Akatsuki for a while in there. She may or may not have had wings... and to top it off I think I made all of the teens live together in dorms? Bashed Sakura and Ino like you wouldn't believe. I was in middle school. It was bad.
I really hope my current main character isn't a Mary Sue. I've been shaping his character for years, adding flaws and such, but sometimes I feel like he's still too strong. He's 15 feet tall and has claws and fangs, red cat eyes, black hair, and can turn mostly invisible (I say mostly, because his eyes, the inside of his mouth, any clothes not made of cotton, and his blood are all visible. When he wants to be invisible he creates a special hormone that changes the way his skin reacts to light, and cotton also has this effect with the hormone. ). he's somewhat bulletproof (he bruises at point-blank shots) but has an accelerated healing gene. He also has an issue with cold, where he gets more sluggish and less able to defend himself.

I hoped that with these fear-inducing traits, I wouldn't have a Mary Sue, because here's the thing: there are people in my stories that outright hate him, if they aren't already afraid. But he wants to be the good guy. When he first introduces himself to the rest of my team of characters, one (who is admittedly a bit of a jerk) would frequently call him a "beast" for a few weeks. Everyone who first meets him has at least some trepidation, but he tries to be as kind as possible.

By the way, his name is Grey.

And I hope to the heavens that he isn't a Mary Sue.
I really hope my current main character isn't a Mary Sue. I've been shaping his character for years, adding flaws and such, but sometimes I feel like he's still too strong. He's 15 feet tall and has claws and fangs, red cat eyes, black hair, and can turn mostly invisible (I say mostly, because his eyes, the inside of his mouth, any clothes not made of cotton, and his blood are all visible. When he wants to be invisible he creates a special hormone that changes the way his skin reacts to light, and cotton also has this effect with the hormone. ). he's somewhat bulletproof (he bruises at point-blank shots) but has an accelerated healing gene. He also has an issue with cold, where he gets more sluggish and less able to defend himself.

I hoped that with these fear-inducing traits, I wouldn't have a Mary Sue, because here's the thing: there are people in my stories that outright hate him, if they aren't already afraid. But he wants to be the good guy. When he first introduces himself to the rest of my team of characters, one (who is admittedly a bit of a jerk) would frequently call him a "beast" for a few weeks. Everyone who first meets him has at least some trepidation, but he tries to be as kind as possible.

By the way, his name is Grey.

And I hope to the heavens that he isn't a Mary Sue.
p9LLFVh.png Wishlist c55Bvd2.png a9TTUxz.gif
Oh man... surprisingly my Sonic OC days weren't too bad. I did have a hedgehog who's spines would change colors like a mood ring... Okay that sounds really bad but I swear, once I cut the changing colors stuff he really wasn't too bad! ...probably.

I think my worst offender was from an original story. It was going to be my magnum opus, or at least that's what middle school me thought. He had weird fantasy exotic skin color, secretly king of the neighboring kingdom, tragic backstory involving dead brother and lover, knew all the secrets but wouldn't tell anyone because ~ANGST~... Pretty much hit all the points other than author avatar. I tried to write the story a few times, but didn't get very far as I kept hitting plot points that didn't make any sense. Wait... why wouldn't he just tell the other characters that the elves are conspiring against the humans?
Oh man... surprisingly my Sonic OC days weren't too bad. I did have a hedgehog who's spines would change colors like a mood ring... Okay that sounds really bad but I swear, once I cut the changing colors stuff he really wasn't too bad! ...probably.

I think my worst offender was from an original story. It was going to be my magnum opus, or at least that's what middle school me thought. He had weird fantasy exotic skin color, secretly king of the neighboring kingdom, tragic backstory involving dead brother and lover, knew all the secrets but wouldn't tell anyone because ~ANGST~... Pretty much hit all the points other than author avatar. I tried to write the story a few times, but didn't get very far as I kept hitting plot points that didn't make any sense. Wait... why wouldn't he just tell the other characters that the elves are conspiring against the humans?
Trying to think back on all the old characters I've made in the past...

I think the one that stands out as the most Sue-ish was a side character for original fiction I created when I was about 14.

His name was Rayne and he was the bassist of his best buddy's band. He was a typical teenage angst 'No-one understands me' type character personality-wise with blue and red emo hair and was a ridiculous hybrid of dragon, angel, demon and human, had shape shifting abilities including a demon and black dragon form, had dragon horns, mis-matched wings (one dragon wing with torn and tattered membranes that bled constantly and one feathered angel wing) and a dragon tail that couldn't be hidden. Eating chocolate made his demon powers stronger, and his angel side made him immortal.. or something like that.

Rayne didn't last long enough to gain any love interests as I stopped using him a long time ago because my main character's story and universe he was linked to changed and evolved.

Trying to think back on all the old characters I've made in the past...

I think the one that stands out as the most Sue-ish was a side character for original fiction I created when I was about 14.

His name was Rayne and he was the bassist of his best buddy's band. He was a typical teenage angst 'No-one understands me' type character personality-wise with blue and red emo hair and was a ridiculous hybrid of dragon, angel, demon and human, had shape shifting abilities including a demon and black dragon form, had dragon horns, mis-matched wings (one dragon wing with torn and tattered membranes that bled constantly and one feathered angel wing) and a dragon tail that couldn't be hidden. Eating chocolate made his demon powers stronger, and his angel side made him immortal.. or something like that.

Rayne didn't last long enough to gain any love interests as I stopped using him a long time ago because my main character's story and universe he was linked to changed and evolved.

70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
Ack... as a writer... I am slightly ashamed to say that my very first OC I can remember was a mary sue. Back when I was... 8 years old or so? I don't remember much about her at this point but I do remember a few years ago, I decided to randomly run her through Springhole's Mary Sue Litmus Test. (which was my BFF when I realized I had a problem with Mary Sues, because, you know, having one in an official novel would probably be a kiss of death to my dream career...) It's worth noting that, in that litmus test, a score of 40 or above means "Mary Sue, KILL IT WITH FIRE RIGHT NOW." This character... this character of mine got a score of around 300. She had magic from all elements as the world's guardian of light, which wouldn't be too bad, since while there was only one of them alive at any time there had been millions before her, but the problem was... she was, in theory, the best guardian to have ever lived, out of those millions.

Perhaps even that could have been pulled off, I'm not willing to go back to that and try. There was also a guardian of darkness, who, looking back, was actually a really good character. I remember more about my guardian of darkness than my guardian of light. My guardian of darkness was a loner who just kind of wanted to do her thing. On paper at least, my 8-year-old writing meant that "NO, THIS PERSON IS GOING TO BE THE VILLAIN SO OBVIOUSLY THEY NEED TO BE RANDOMLY EVIL" was a thing and the guardian of darkness would capture the guardian of light frequently. The guardian of darkness hated the guardian of light for literally no reason other than she was supposed to be evil. Said guardian of light... did absolutely nothing about it. Like. Couldn't even defend herself, let alone the light in that world. She had friends who constantly had to save her, and never had anything better to do with their time despite one being a royal knight, one being a royal wizard, and one being the heir to the throne. They never had a problem with it, either, and were always like "Oh you're so cool you're the best guardian of light ever that other girl is so evil we hate her and we love you" which, in my eyes, is the worst problem.

Looking back at that idea... I could have salvaged parts of it probably. Perhaps I could have even salvaged the character. But back when I realized there was a problem, I didn't have enough experience in writing to know how to fix it, so I ended up in my current world, which I am more vigilant when it comes to Mary Sues in. If I suspect a character is going down that path- guess who is going to get another flaw and a rational and understandable enemy/rival/person who doesn't like that character with reason to do so... =D
Ack... as a writer... I am slightly ashamed to say that my very first OC I can remember was a mary sue. Back when I was... 8 years old or so? I don't remember much about her at this point but I do remember a few years ago, I decided to randomly run her through Springhole's Mary Sue Litmus Test. (which was my BFF when I realized I had a problem with Mary Sues, because, you know, having one in an official novel would probably be a kiss of death to my dream career...) It's worth noting that, in that litmus test, a score of 40 or above means "Mary Sue, KILL IT WITH FIRE RIGHT NOW." This character... this character of mine got a score of around 300. She had magic from all elements as the world's guardian of light, which wouldn't be too bad, since while there was only one of them alive at any time there had been millions before her, but the problem was... she was, in theory, the best guardian to have ever lived, out of those millions.

Perhaps even that could have been pulled off, I'm not willing to go back to that and try. There was also a guardian of darkness, who, looking back, was actually a really good character. I remember more about my guardian of darkness than my guardian of light. My guardian of darkness was a loner who just kind of wanted to do her thing. On paper at least, my 8-year-old writing meant that "NO, THIS PERSON IS GOING TO BE THE VILLAIN SO OBVIOUSLY THEY NEED TO BE RANDOMLY EVIL" was a thing and the guardian of darkness would capture the guardian of light frequently. The guardian of darkness hated the guardian of light for literally no reason other than she was supposed to be evil. Said guardian of light... did absolutely nothing about it. Like. Couldn't even defend herself, let alone the light in that world. She had friends who constantly had to save her, and never had anything better to do with their time despite one being a royal knight, one being a royal wizard, and one being the heir to the throne. They never had a problem with it, either, and were always like "Oh you're so cool you're the best guardian of light ever that other girl is so evil we hate her and we love you" which, in my eyes, is the worst problem.

Looking back at that idea... I could have salvaged parts of it probably. Perhaps I could have even salvaged the character. But back when I realized there was a problem, I didn't have enough experience in writing to know how to fix it, so I ended up in my current world, which I am more vigilant when it comes to Mary Sues in. If I suspect a character is going down that path- guess who is going to get another flaw and a rational and understandable enemy/rival/person who doesn't like that character with reason to do so... =D
image.png
"If to feel pain is my fate, then I have just one thing to say: Here in my scar-covered heart, color will always exist!"
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
image.png
Oh gosh, right. Had a big ff7 phase in my mid teens and of course I had my very own Sephiroth knock off because he was soo cool and EVUL lolz!111. His name was Cedric and he had long platted ginger hair, and if you're done here I don't blame you. He was supposed to have been the only other created in the same way as Sephiroth, but was less powerful and therefore considered somewhat a failure. However after Sephiroth's disappearance he was still more powerful then the average SOLDIER and therefore obviously the best qualified to take his place (of course). He then went on to confront Sephiroth in Junon (despite the fact this makes no sense) and ended up losing an arm in the battle, which due to having Jenova's dna or something mutated into a wing, although somehow it sprouted from his back and not the wound from his arm... He also wore a white trenchcoat (original right), specialized in using fire based materia, and wielded twin gunblades until the loss of his arm. Oh I also decided he was conveniently left handed after realizing I'd drawn him missing the right arm and was too lazy to redraw him :/

Basically he was a complete mess of traits that I thought were cool and ones that were desperate attempts to make him different.

~EDIT~

@StellarBlitz I know I'm not exactly one to give advice given the above, I would say a couple of those traits do leave him a little overpowered. I wouldn't call him a Sue, because it sounds like you've put a lot of genuine thought in to his personality. The fact that others are often mistrustful and suspicious of him due to his frightening appearance, and as such has to prove himself and try to win them over, makes a lot of sense. It's a valid comment on human nature, and I like the fact that he has to earn peoples respect, this leaves a lot of room for character development and exploration of different relationships between characters. That said, even though there are plenty of characters that have almost instantaneous powers of regeneration or virtual invulnerability, it's something I'm personally switched off by. Personally I would tone it down, so that say he can regenerate, but that he can be physically injured and simply has a faster rate of healing and can survive more severe wounds. Also I'm a little confused by his invisibility. This in itself is not an over the top power, and I like the fact that he can only become semi invisible with eyes and clothes still visible, this and a moderate ability to regenerate would leave you with a useful yet not overpowered character. However I'm not sure what you mean by using hormones to turn his flesh invisible, I don't pretend to understand the rules of your world, but it seems a tad far fetched and raises more questions then it answers. Lastly 15 feet?! My gosh he's a big boy! Again while this in itself doesn't tip him over in to sue land, it depends how you handle it. While it most certainly has its major advantages, it also has a fair amount of disadvantages. It would be very hard for him to live in an environment built for humans, as he would simply be too over sized. He would also be very cumbersome, and it might be hard for him to avoid causing accidental damage to people, objects and surroundings.

Overall I think he's a workable charter and not yet straying into sue land, however as he is his abilities do feel a touch overpowered. His size and frightening appearance appear to be both a blessing a curse to him, and there's certainly plenty of ways you could explore them. It would be interesting to see maybe some artwork or a charrie sheet of him that maybe explains a little more about his nature, where he comes from and what sort of species he is.

Hope that was helpful and that I haven't been too mean or offensive in any way, you're of course also totally free to disregard any of what I've said. Like I said I obviously haven't had the best history in creating my very own Original Mary Sues XD
Oh gosh, right. Had a big ff7 phase in my mid teens and of course I had my very own Sephiroth knock off because he was soo cool and EVUL lolz!111. His name was Cedric and he had long platted ginger hair, and if you're done here I don't blame you. He was supposed to have been the only other created in the same way as Sephiroth, but was less powerful and therefore considered somewhat a failure. However after Sephiroth's disappearance he was still more powerful then the average SOLDIER and therefore obviously the best qualified to take his place (of course). He then went on to confront Sephiroth in Junon (despite the fact this makes no sense) and ended up losing an arm in the battle, which due to having Jenova's dna or something mutated into a wing, although somehow it sprouted from his back and not the wound from his arm... He also wore a white trenchcoat (original right), specialized in using fire based materia, and wielded twin gunblades until the loss of his arm. Oh I also decided he was conveniently left handed after realizing I'd drawn him missing the right arm and was too lazy to redraw him :/

Basically he was a complete mess of traits that I thought were cool and ones that were desperate attempts to make him different.

~EDIT~

@StellarBlitz I know I'm not exactly one to give advice given the above, I would say a couple of those traits do leave him a little overpowered. I wouldn't call him a Sue, because it sounds like you've put a lot of genuine thought in to his personality. The fact that others are often mistrustful and suspicious of him due to his frightening appearance, and as such has to prove himself and try to win them over, makes a lot of sense. It's a valid comment on human nature, and I like the fact that he has to earn peoples respect, this leaves a lot of room for character development and exploration of different relationships between characters. That said, even though there are plenty of characters that have almost instantaneous powers of regeneration or virtual invulnerability, it's something I'm personally switched off by. Personally I would tone it down, so that say he can regenerate, but that he can be physically injured and simply has a faster rate of healing and can survive more severe wounds. Also I'm a little confused by his invisibility. This in itself is not an over the top power, and I like the fact that he can only become semi invisible with eyes and clothes still visible, this and a moderate ability to regenerate would leave you with a useful yet not overpowered character. However I'm not sure what you mean by using hormones to turn his flesh invisible, I don't pretend to understand the rules of your world, but it seems a tad far fetched and raises more questions then it answers. Lastly 15 feet?! My gosh he's a big boy! Again while this in itself doesn't tip him over in to sue land, it depends how you handle it. While it most certainly has its major advantages, it also has a fair amount of disadvantages. It would be very hard for him to live in an environment built for humans, as he would simply be too over sized. He would also be very cumbersome, and it might be hard for him to avoid causing accidental damage to people, objects and surroundings.

Overall I think he's a workable charter and not yet straying into sue land, however as he is his abilities do feel a touch overpowered. His size and frightening appearance appear to be both a blessing a curse to him, and there's certainly plenty of ways you could explore them. It would be interesting to see maybe some artwork or a charrie sheet of him that maybe explains a little more about his nature, where he comes from and what sort of species he is.

Hope that was helpful and that I haven't been too mean or offensive in any way, you're of course also totally free to disregard any of what I've said. Like I said I obviously haven't had the best history in creating my very own Original Mary Sues XD
My very first OC when I was about 7 was a German Shepherd/Maned Wolf hybrid named Myran. He was somehow simultaneously a librarian and a prince and he couldn't be killed due to a curse he had put on him by the gods of this particular universe but he also couldn't leave the library ever. Also, he really liked dried bowtie pasta...and he was a ladies man to the point of being a tramp, at least as far as a 7 year old understands those concepts. =S

Yeah, Myran was sort of terrible but I still have a bit of a soft spot for him...
My very first OC when I was about 7 was a German Shepherd/Maned Wolf hybrid named Myran. He was somehow simultaneously a librarian and a prince and he couldn't be killed due to a curse he had put on him by the gods of this particular universe but he also couldn't leave the library ever. Also, he really liked dried bowtie pasta...and he was a ladies man to the point of being a tramp, at least as far as a 7 year old understands those concepts. =S

Yeah, Myran was sort of terrible but I still have a bit of a soft spot for him...
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13