Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The Fridge is [open]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@Delamire
Cool recipe! I'm not a fan of mayo.... ^^; but liquid smoke is always a fun thing to add! I'll post my chicken enchilada soup recipe later. It's super cheap and makes great leftovers.
@Delamire
Cool recipe! I'm not a fan of mayo.... ^^; but liquid smoke is always a fun thing to add! I'll post my chicken enchilada soup recipe later. It's super cheap and makes great leftovers.
xWoPUjI.png
@DigDog Now that sounds like something I would like!
My recipe for tomorrow is taco soup :)
@DigDog Now that sounds like something I would like!
My recipe for tomorrow is taco soup :)
FLoYPGu.gif
Chicken Enchilada Soup: Yummy, easy, quick slow-cooker recipe! Just throw everything in before work or school and come back to a warm soup that's great for leftovers.

Ingredients:
  • Chicken Breasts - Generally at least a pound
  • 1 large onion - diced
  • Can of corn - drained
  • Can of diced tomatoes - don't drain
  • Can of chicken broth
  • Can of enchilada sauce
  • Can of diced green chilies
  • 3 gloves of garlic - the little pre-cut glass containers are really great for this.
  • 1 teaspoon cumin & chili powder
  • Salt and Pepper

Put EVERYTHING into the slow cooker. It's that simple.
After at least five hours, just shred the chicken and you're ready to eat.

Notes:
It seems like a really long list of ingredients, but they're all relatively cheap and frequently go on sale at grocery stores. Plus, they're long-lasting and you can keep most of the ingredients in the cupboard until you wanna make it.

This is a great "base" recipe. You can keep adding to the soup or taking away certain things. For example, I add 2 Jalapenos, bay leaves, Cheyenne pepper, and any leftover salsa I have in the fridge and a lot more spices. Additionally, If you don't like spicy food - take out the chili powder and reduce the amount of green chilies you add.

This recipe will make a lot for a small amount of money and you'll have great, long-lasting leftovers that reheat really well!
Chicken Enchilada Soup: Yummy, easy, quick slow-cooker recipe! Just throw everything in before work or school and come back to a warm soup that's great for leftovers.

Ingredients:
  • Chicken Breasts - Generally at least a pound
  • 1 large onion - diced
  • Can of corn - drained
  • Can of diced tomatoes - don't drain
  • Can of chicken broth
  • Can of enchilada sauce
  • Can of diced green chilies
  • 3 gloves of garlic - the little pre-cut glass containers are really great for this.
  • 1 teaspoon cumin & chili powder
  • Salt and Pepper

Put EVERYTHING into the slow cooker. It's that simple.
After at least five hours, just shred the chicken and you're ready to eat.

Notes:
It seems like a really long list of ingredients, but they're all relatively cheap and frequently go on sale at grocery stores. Plus, they're long-lasting and you can keep most of the ingredients in the cupboard until you wanna make it.

This is a great "base" recipe. You can keep adding to the soup or taking away certain things. For example, I add 2 Jalapenos, bay leaves, Cheyenne pepper, and any leftover salsa I have in the fridge and a lot more spices. Additionally, If you don't like spicy food - take out the chili powder and reduce the amount of green chilies you add.

This recipe will make a lot for a small amount of money and you'll have great, long-lasting leftovers that reheat really well!
xWoPUjI.png
What a cool topic! My fiance and I are always doing our best to scavenge around the kitchen and see what we can throw together for dinner. Our tight budget means that sometimes you can't just go to the store and get that one last ingredient you need for a specific recipe. I'll def be keeping this thread in mind if we come up with anything particularly great soon to share!
What a cool topic! My fiance and I are always doing our best to scavenge around the kitchen and see what we can throw together for dinner. Our tight budget means that sometimes you can't just go to the store and get that one last ingredient you need for a specific recipe. I'll def be keeping this thread in mind if we come up with anything particularly great soon to share!
@DigDog

Oh my god, I wish I'd checked the thread before I went grocery shopping today!!
I always keep chicken in the freezer so this would be an super easy thing to keep in the cabinet for a rainy day. (And to top it off my roomie just got a super fancy new slow cooker!)
@DigDog

Oh my god, I wish I'd checked the thread before I went grocery shopping today!!
I always keep chicken in the freezer so this would be an super easy thing to keep in the cabinet for a rainy day. (And to top it off my roomie just got a super fancy new slow cooker!)
FLoYPGu.gif
@Amulet

I feel like the saying "necessity is the mother of invention" is especially true in the kitchen.

Hopefully we can give you some new ideas!
@Amulet

I feel like the saying "necessity is the mother of invention" is especially true in the kitchen.

Hopefully we can give you some new ideas!
FLoYPGu.gif
@Firefishes

I'm making your recipe tonight! I couldn't find hazelnut powder though :( I'm assuming it's just ground hazelnut right? Do you go somewhere special to get it?
I'm substituting a mystery ingredient and I'll let you know how it goes!

UPDATE:

It is delicious! I used a store bought vanilla/cinnamon/sugar spice mix :)
@Firefishes

I'm making your recipe tonight! I couldn't find hazelnut powder though :( I'm assuming it's just ground hazelnut right? Do you go somewhere special to get it?
I'm substituting a mystery ingredient and I'll let you know how it goes!

UPDATE:

It is delicious! I used a store bought vanilla/cinnamon/sugar spice mix :)
FLoYPGu.gif
@TallyMark
@TallyMark
FLoYPGu.gif
This is inspiring me to cook!!!

@DigDog Slow-cookers are a wonderful invention. Chicken Enchilada Soup=YUM I think I might try this recipe soon!
This is inspiring me to cook!!!

@DigDog Slow-cookers are a wonderful invention. Chicken Enchilada Soup=YUM I think I might try this recipe soon!
lh5eiml.png
Recipe: Dorito Casserole

Ingredients: 5
  • Chicken breast (I use between 4-5 store-bought boneless breasts)
  • Doritos
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can golden cream of mushroom soup
  • optional: frozen diced onion/bell pepper mix & shredded cheese fiesta or Mexican blend

Boil check breast until cooked through. Let cool.

(Optional) Saute 1 cup of onion/bell pepper mix

[Preheat oven to 375]

Crush doritos into 'bite sized pieces.' You don't want hard to eat pieces but not chip dust either. Layer doritos into the bottom of a large casserole dish.

Shred chicken and use as the second layer on top of the doritos.

Mix together canned soups and onions/bellpeppers. Pour over the casserole and gently shake dish forward and backward to allow soup to seep though the layers. Cheese should be sprinkled on top at this time as thick or thin as desired.

There is no set cooking time since there are no raw ingredients. you want it to cook for as long as possible so the soup makes everything creamy; however, the doritos will be the first layer to burn so watch them carefully for blackness.

Enjoy!
Recipe: Dorito Casserole

Ingredients: 5
  • Chicken breast (I use between 4-5 store-bought boneless breasts)
  • Doritos
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can golden cream of mushroom soup
  • optional: frozen diced onion/bell pepper mix & shredded cheese fiesta or Mexican blend

Boil check breast until cooked through. Let cool.

(Optional) Saute 1 cup of onion/bell pepper mix

[Preheat oven to 375]

Crush doritos into 'bite sized pieces.' You don't want hard to eat pieces but not chip dust either. Layer doritos into the bottom of a large casserole dish.

Shred chicken and use as the second layer on top of the doritos.

Mix together canned soups and onions/bellpeppers. Pour over the casserole and gently shake dish forward and backward to allow soup to seep though the layers. Cheese should be sprinkled on top at this time as thick or thin as desired.

There is no set cooking time since there are no raw ingredients. you want it to cook for as long as possible so the soup makes everything creamy; however, the doritos will be the first layer to burn so watch them carefully for blackness.

Enjoy!
FLoYPGu.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10