Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Transformers Fans, Anyone?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31 32
So I finally got around to seeing the fourth movie today and well.....idk honestly. I mean it was ok, but it didn't overly impress me. When it comes down to it I think they kind of through a lot into this one where if you don't know a good chunk of non-movieverse stuff, it feels really thrown in and makes very little sense there.
So I finally got around to seeing the fourth movie today and well.....idk honestly. I mean it was ok, but it didn't overly impress me. When it comes down to it I think they kind of through a lot into this one where if you don't know a good chunk of non-movieverse stuff, it feels really thrown in and makes very little sense there.
@Osirilen
Yes, there was like 4 plots lol.

I guess to really enjoy it, one should have a general knowledge of TF creation myths and stuff.
Like, if the average person who watches it just because action and fight scenes, they wont get it. They wont understand what the whole thing about Lockdown working with the quintessons and how they created the transformers (in G1) is about as easily.

Honestly, I feel they could've cut a lot of parts out to save time, and confusion.
I still like that the bots got more screentime and lines.

idk. everyone has their opinions. I still think it was great.
@Osirilen
Yes, there was like 4 plots lol.

I guess to really enjoy it, one should have a general knowledge of TF creation myths and stuff.
Like, if the average person who watches it just because action and fight scenes, they wont get it. They wont understand what the whole thing about Lockdown working with the quintessons and how they created the transformers (in G1) is about as easily.

Honestly, I feel they could've cut a lot of parts out to save time, and confusion.
I still like that the bots got more screentime and lines.

idk. everyone has their opinions. I still think it was great.
tumblr_n8947cX10P1su71njo7_250.gif
@Nohemi
I agree completely about needing to understand all of that to better appreciate it. Once I googled Lockdown and got that whole backstory, it all kind of came together there. But from a movie-goer perspective, it all just comes out of left field and just kind of leaves a blind sided feeling.

Which brings us to the Dinobots. They really didn't explain them at all, which did nothing but make them seem like simple story fodder of "Give the Autobots some kind of way to win. And while they were awesome (like holy crap awesome), they could have gone with some more footing.

And the very very end (I don't want to ruin it, but you should know what I mean) makes no actual sense. Like sure Optimus is upset, but to a story stand point (and character specs and such standpoint) it just didn't feel right to me.
@Nohemi
I agree completely about needing to understand all of that to better appreciate it. Once I googled Lockdown and got that whole backstory, it all kind of came together there. But from a movie-goer perspective, it all just comes out of left field and just kind of leaves a blind sided feeling.

Which brings us to the Dinobots. They really didn't explain them at all, which did nothing but make them seem like simple story fodder of "Give the Autobots some kind of way to win. And while they were awesome (like holy crap awesome), they could have gone with some more footing.

And the very very end (I don't want to ruin it, but you should know what I mean) makes no actual sense. Like sure Optimus is upset, but to a story stand point (and character specs and such standpoint) it just didn't feel right to me.
@osirilen

I completely agree! all the explanation we got for the dinobots is optimus saying "so the legend is true"

And yeah. Optimus.. :/ whyd you just .. ?????!!
@osirilen

I completely agree! all the explanation we got for the dinobots is optimus saying "so the legend is true"

And yeah. Optimus.. :/ whyd you just .. ?????!!
tumblr_n8947cX10P1su71njo7_250.gif
@Nohemi
Yup. Which means I guess the Dinobots were legends but like....really?

Exactly. He shouldn't have even been able to do that. Just ridiculous.
@Nohemi
Yup. Which means I guess the Dinobots were legends but like....really?

Exactly. He shouldn't have even been able to do that. Just ridiculous.
@Nohemi @Osirilen

Wait... is that seriously how Optimus explains them? Seriously?

Was there no "Me Grimlock, me king" thing going on? It looks really cool, the movie does, but from what I've heard they got overly ambitious with their plot(s).

Also, completely not related to 4. Starscream's death in the movies sucked and was stupid because for crying out loud you don't become second in command of a monster of a military without knowing to dodge.
@Nohemi @Osirilen

Wait... is that seriously how Optimus explains them? Seriously?

Was there no "Me Grimlock, me king" thing going on? It looks really cool, the movie does, but from what I've heard they got overly ambitious with their plot(s).

Also, completely not related to 4. Starscream's death in the movies sucked and was stupid because for crying out loud you don't become second in command of a monster of a military without knowing to dodge.
iOadmp2.png
@hitagashi

Starscream is my absolute favourite character in Transformers and I was so utterly disappointed with his death.

I laughed.

Honestly, I howled with laughter.

I've been RPing Bay-verses Scream for a while now and I always play him as someone who IS very talented, in our head space, the Seekers are the absolute pinnacle of Cybertronians and he is up on top of the pile, he brags about it a lot. To see him brought down by SAM of all people had me in stitches because it was so stupid. Thankfully the RP took RotF as it's launch point so we don't consider DotM part of the cannon for it!
@hitagashi

Starscream is my absolute favourite character in Transformers and I was so utterly disappointed with his death.

I laughed.

Honestly, I howled with laughter.

I've been RPing Bay-verses Scream for a while now and I always play him as someone who IS very talented, in our head space, the Seekers are the absolute pinnacle of Cybertronians and he is up on top of the pile, he brags about it a lot. To see him brought down by SAM of all people had me in stitches because it was so stupid. Thankfully the RP took RotF as it's launch point so we don't consider DotM part of the cannon for it!
Yt4sddf.png
Well guys, as far as 'you need all this background to get the stuff in the new movie'...

You know they've already started filming the 5th, right? The plan was to make a second trilogy. Basically they meant this one to be set up, to raise questions, and they plan to expand on the stuff later. So it isn't so much 'you need all this background', as 'they want to make people wonder so they will come back for the answers'.
Well guys, as far as 'you need all this background to get the stuff in the new movie'...

You know they've already started filming the 5th, right? The plan was to make a second trilogy. Basically they meant this one to be set up, to raise questions, and they plan to expand on the stuff later. So it isn't so much 'you need all this background', as 'they want to make people wonder so they will come back for the answers'.
Tn4TEAZ.png
More tired of my treatment team than the cancer at this point
@hitagashi
Yup, that's the explanation. There's also something about a knight thrown in technically, tough for the life of me I can't decide if the Dinobots are knights, or Optimus is the knight, they're both knights, or there is no knight and they're just talking about the sword he takes. It was a mess.

@Delphi
And where in the world did you hear they're already filming the 5th? Because after a 2 minute google search, I found no word and that, and in fact found quotes stating they don't even have a script and won't be working on it at least for a couple weeks after the movie has been out.

Though yes, it is supposed to be the beginning of a new trilogy, but let's be honest here, that's zero excuse. It's just poor storytelling, and there' a major difference between adding mystery to increase excitement for the next installment, and just throwing stuff in with no real explanation. AoE did the latter, and it's a real shame. It just felt like they were trying to throw in as much crap as they could into the first, instead of using finesse and slowly building up to everything. It could have been done better, it's just that simple, and I hope the next installment finds a way to fix some of the errors.
@hitagashi
Yup, that's the explanation. There's also something about a knight thrown in technically, tough for the life of me I can't decide if the Dinobots are knights, or Optimus is the knight, they're both knights, or there is no knight and they're just talking about the sword he takes. It was a mess.

@Delphi
And where in the world did you hear they're already filming the 5th? Because after a 2 minute google search, I found no word and that, and in fact found quotes stating they don't even have a script and won't be working on it at least for a couple weeks after the movie has been out.

Though yes, it is supposed to be the beginning of a new trilogy, but let's be honest here, that's zero excuse. It's just poor storytelling, and there' a major difference between adding mystery to increase excitement for the next installment, and just throwing stuff in with no real explanation. AoE did the latter, and it's a real shame. It just felt like they were trying to throw in as much crap as they could into the first, instead of using finesse and slowly building up to everything. It could have been done better, it's just that simple, and I hope the next installment finds a way to fix some of the errors.
@Pilotslover

Yessss Seeker lover. I love Seekers. And Starscream and holy cow Flight buddy.

But yeah I was kinda.. gobsmacked at first like. "Is he dead? Art they making him into a ghost?" Nope. Just killed him.

But also in terms of skill and stuff my major headcanon is that Seekers are named for their primary skills. Skywarp is teleportation, Thundercracker his booms, and Starscream his speed. I have... a lot of Seeker headcanons and a lot verge on creepy.

@Osirilen

... If the Dinobots are the knights but not Optimus does that make him the princess?

@Delphi

I honestly think that is the worst reasoning a creator can give. Owning up to ones mistakes is a lot better. To be fair, I get them wanting to be vague. But being vague and being... well... a mess. Two different things!
@Pilotslover

Yessss Seeker lover. I love Seekers. And Starscream and holy cow Flight buddy.

But yeah I was kinda.. gobsmacked at first like. "Is he dead? Art they making him into a ghost?" Nope. Just killed him.

But also in terms of skill and stuff my major headcanon is that Seekers are named for their primary skills. Skywarp is teleportation, Thundercracker his booms, and Starscream his speed. I have... a lot of Seeker headcanons and a lot verge on creepy.

@Osirilen

... If the Dinobots are the knights but not Optimus does that make him the princess?

@Delphi

I honestly think that is the worst reasoning a creator can give. Owning up to ones mistakes is a lot better. To be fair, I get them wanting to be vague. But being vague and being... well... a mess. Two different things!
iOadmp2.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31 32