Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Irrational fears are irrational
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
@vaalta I used to be terrified of diving boards, like the really tall ones, because I felt like it'd break and I'd drown before I was ready to jump. :0 I hate jumping into murky water and misjudging how far down I went simply for the fact that I can't see without glasses and water makes it ten times worse, but it doesn't freak me out. What does is fish or floaty lake plants touching me o.o
@Ankokou People always say it's not a fear of heights, it's a fear of falling, but I think those are two different things. Like for me, I can be up high (ex. airplane, many many stories up in the Empire State Building) and feel perfectly safe, but on like, a ladder or a trail with no railings I WILL freak out and try to get as far from the edge as possible. I would explain that as a fear of falling. I would say you're afraid of heights more than falling, but maybe both?
@Kawaiirhea Ugh I know what you mean dude. There are things you're just afraid of or that freak you out and you don't know why, don't have any reason to have that sort of reaction to them, and it's just you just CANNOT be around that thing. That...ugh.
@Kelestraa I DESPISE THE LITTLE BUGGERS. Not only do they freaking nest somewhere near me in my neighborhood (both bees and wasps) but they frequent our pool for water which is why I tend to avoid swimming and thus don't go outside at all (because swimming is about all you can do in 115° F heat). ): A couple of times during my last softball season bees would follow my team around in the outfield and UGH it was the worst.
@FinchMyrtle I had a trypophobic friend in school and while I never saw her freak out because of anything sometimes the things she told us that made her freak made my skin crawl because just euggggh no. :(
@guro I HAAAAATE spiders I literally stand up on stuff like women in old cartoons do around mice...There was what I thought was a black widow in my suitcase really recently and I've had some bad run ins with widows elsewhere but in general spiders are eeeeeeughhhhhh no which is funny because I'm terrified of them while the rest of my family is like, "Ok...?"
@MagicIcewing I was super scared of my grandparents' grandfather clock when I was younger because it rang at the most random times and there were no other clocks in that vicinity so I'd try to avoid the hallway but my bedroom was down the hall past the clock and everything else was...in the other direction. >.< I still avoid the clock as much as I can because it always startles me really badly.
@Keestal I had a dream when I was really little that my parents got speared on the horns of a triceratops and I was eaten by none other than a tyrannosaurs. That and one other dream I can remember EVERY detail from. Thank you Jurassic Park, for being the subject of my nightmares EVEN LAST NIGHT. I can't remember what it was about but I think I'm glade I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with being chased by a t-rex though.
I also never tell anyone this but I'm TERRIFIED to the point of ridiculousness of my parents' bedroom in the dark. Only if it's pitch black and nobody is in there do I get terrified. If my parents aren't in the area I'll flick on the lights just for my own benefit. It's just that room though. I can't walk in without some lights on. It's not a fear of the dark since I can deal with other rooms but for some reason THAT ROOM scares me. ;-;
@Lorii ;0; We take our boat out onto a lake near us a lot and well it's soo gross and gunked up on occasion that I'll only get off the boat to get on the tube and if we get going too fast I'll signal for whoever's steering to slow down because I don't want to fall and touch all the icky stuff. Then there's this little cove where we usually just float around but the lakeweed just got so bad that I can't handle being in the water lest something touch me and eugh. Not the only one.
@vaalta I used to be terrified of diving boards, like the really tall ones, because I felt like it'd break and I'd drown before I was ready to jump. :0 I hate jumping into murky water and misjudging how far down I went simply for the fact that I can't see without glasses and water makes it ten times worse, but it doesn't freak me out. What does is fish or floaty lake plants touching me o.o
@Ankokou People always say it's not a fear of heights, it's a fear of falling, but I think those are two different things. Like for me, I can be up high (ex. airplane, many many stories up in the Empire State Building) and feel perfectly safe, but on like, a ladder or a trail with no railings I WILL freak out and try to get as far from the edge as possible. I would explain that as a fear of falling. I would say you're afraid of heights more than falling, but maybe both?
@Kawaiirhea Ugh I know what you mean dude. There are things you're just afraid of or that freak you out and you don't know why, don't have any reason to have that sort of reaction to them, and it's just you just CANNOT be around that thing. That...ugh.
@Kelestraa I DESPISE THE LITTLE BUGGERS. Not only do they freaking nest somewhere near me in my neighborhood (both bees and wasps) but they frequent our pool for water which is why I tend to avoid swimming and thus don't go outside at all (because swimming is about all you can do in 115° F heat). ): A couple of times during my last softball season bees would follow my team around in the outfield and UGH it was the worst.
@FinchMyrtle I had a trypophobic friend in school and while I never saw her freak out because of anything sometimes the things she told us that made her freak made my skin crawl because just euggggh no. :(
@guro I HAAAAATE spiders I literally stand up on stuff like women in old cartoons do around mice...There was what I thought was a black widow in my suitcase really recently and I've had some bad run ins with widows elsewhere but in general spiders are eeeeeeughhhhhh no which is funny because I'm terrified of them while the rest of my family is like, "Ok...?"
@MagicIcewing I was super scared of my grandparents' grandfather clock when I was younger because it rang at the most random times and there were no other clocks in that vicinity so I'd try to avoid the hallway but my bedroom was down the hall past the clock and everything else was...in the other direction. >.< I still avoid the clock as much as I can because it always startles me really badly.
@Keestal I had a dream when I was really little that my parents got speared on the horns of a triceratops and I was eaten by none other than a tyrannosaurs. That and one other dream I can remember EVERY detail from. Thank you Jurassic Park, for being the subject of my nightmares EVEN LAST NIGHT. I can't remember what it was about but I think I'm glade I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with being chased by a t-rex though.
I also never tell anyone this but I'm TERRIFIED to the point of ridiculousness of my parents' bedroom in the dark. Only if it's pitch black and nobody is in there do I get terrified. If my parents aren't in the area I'll flick on the lights just for my own benefit. It's just that room though. I can't walk in without some lights on. It's not a fear of the dark since I can deal with other rooms but for some reason THAT ROOM scares me. ;-;
@Lorii ;0; We take our boat out onto a lake near us a lot and well it's soo gross and gunked up on occasion that I'll only get off the boat to get on the tube and if we get going too fast I'll signal for whoever's steering to slow down because I don't want to fall and touch all the icky stuff. Then there's this little cove where we usually just float around but the lakeweed just got so bad that I can't handle being in the water lest something touch me and eugh. Not the only one.
80317408_UZf74sDKxq5dAIU.png ___
hey i'm lee
he/him | 24 | fr+0

art | skins | about

tblr
| twt | yt
@FinchMyrtle

That makes me uncomfortable too. I don't really have the full phobia, it's just really uncomfortable to look at. Oh and sorry for making you anxious!

@Ankokou

Thanks, I'm glad I'm alright too. :)

@spookyDiNGO

Haha yes, that freaks me out too.
@FinchMyrtle

That makes me uncomfortable too. I don't really have the full phobia, it's just really uncomfortable to look at. Oh and sorry for making you anxious!

@Ankokou

Thanks, I'm glad I'm alright too. :)

@spookyDiNGO

Haha yes, that freaks me out too.
@spookyDiNGO

I had a movie related issue for the longest time too. Looking back it makes a little more sense, but it was still an irrational fear.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Arc when I was maybe 4, and it absolutely terrified me, especially the whole face-melting scene when the arc opens. I already was afraid of the dark and the possibility of monsters in my closet/under my bed/etc but apparently I latched on to the movie's logic and decided that whatever was out there couldn't hurt me if I didn't look at it, and horrible things would happen if I did. I got into the habit of sleeping with a pillow on top of my head to keep me and the monsters from ever seeing each other.

Obviously I'm not scared of monsters under the bed anymore, but to this day I absolutely cannot fall asleep unless I have a pillow over my head.
@spookyDiNGO

I had a movie related issue for the longest time too. Looking back it makes a little more sense, but it was still an irrational fear.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Arc when I was maybe 4, and it absolutely terrified me, especially the whole face-melting scene when the arc opens. I already was afraid of the dark and the possibility of monsters in my closet/under my bed/etc but apparently I latched on to the movie's logic and decided that whatever was out there couldn't hurt me if I didn't look at it, and horrible things would happen if I did. I got into the habit of sleeping with a pillow on top of my head to keep me and the monsters from ever seeing each other.

Obviously I'm not scared of monsters under the bed anymore, but to this day I absolutely cannot fall asleep unless I have a pillow over my head.
tumblr_nf7g2wCqHg1tjvrspo1_500.png
@spookydiGNO

I love the study of dinosaurs and t love archaeopteryx but I love the story of the fossil hoax archaeoraptor :) I will always be a nerd I can name about 10 times the amount of dinosaurs anyone else in the school knows.

I have an irrational fear of trees sometimes. (Yet I am nature) when it is windy or foggy or dark I think that they will fall on me or that a branch will fall on my head 0-0
@spookydiGNO

I love the study of dinosaurs and t love archaeopteryx but I love the story of the fossil hoax archaeoraptor :) I will always be a nerd I can name about 10 times the amount of dinosaurs anyone else in the school knows.

I have an irrational fear of trees sometimes. (Yet I am nature) when it is windy or foggy or dark I think that they will fall on me or that a branch will fall on my head 0-0
b34674857e8a199f13a1d454303561e1caa85a9b.png
I'm so scared of spiders it's a sad thing, I can't function around them. Something so commonplace and small not to mention easy to run into. I seem to always find them around ME, my side of the car, next to where i'm sitting, always around ME, hardly anyone else. Also whenever there is a creepy thing in a movie it usually has to do with large spiders (Tolkien and Harry Potter are good examples of this), because of the huge presence of spiders for horror/shock factor I have a catchphrase "WHY IS IT ALWAYS SPIDERS!"

I'm also really freaked out by sharks (the big ones) because they always have these horrible black lifeless eyes UGH, when you look into the eyes of a living thing you can see the life there but sharks like 'great whites' have such blank pit-like eyes like nothing is there. Also i'm scared of zombies/undead things so maybe it reminds me of that?

I'm scared of deep water and will not even go in boats. When I was little I started walking into a lake to be with my older sisters, there was an underwater ledge that I just walked off and I disappeared. Luckily my Uncle saw and ran in to save me. But I was under the water for what left like forever... it was murky lake water the vegetation was touching my feet, fish were around me, I could feel the water fill my mouth, ears, eyes, it was so horrible. I was about 6 at the time. /shudders

I'm also scared of heights and small places.
I'm so scared of spiders it's a sad thing, I can't function around them. Something so commonplace and small not to mention easy to run into. I seem to always find them around ME, my side of the car, next to where i'm sitting, always around ME, hardly anyone else. Also whenever there is a creepy thing in a movie it usually has to do with large spiders (Tolkien and Harry Potter are good examples of this), because of the huge presence of spiders for horror/shock factor I have a catchphrase "WHY IS IT ALWAYS SPIDERS!"

I'm also really freaked out by sharks (the big ones) because they always have these horrible black lifeless eyes UGH, when you look into the eyes of a living thing you can see the life there but sharks like 'great whites' have such blank pit-like eyes like nothing is there. Also i'm scared of zombies/undead things so maybe it reminds me of that?

I'm scared of deep water and will not even go in boats. When I was little I started walking into a lake to be with my older sisters, there was an underwater ledge that I just walked off and I disappeared. Luckily my Uncle saw and ran in to save me. But I was under the water for what left like forever... it was murky lake water the vegetation was touching my feet, fish were around me, I could feel the water fill my mouth, ears, eyes, it was so horrible. I was about 6 at the time. /shudders

I'm also scared of heights and small places.
tumblr_nf6776Wn8H1qh5dfho7_250.gif
Catoptrophobia. Fear of mirrors.
Out of everything, mirrors? I'm pathetic.

In all honesty though, I can't look into a mirror for more than 20 seconds without getting a DPD attack and wanting to break the mirror. They're terrifying. I haven't been able to have a mirror in my room for years, since there was one night I woke up and sat upright in my bed, only to see a dark figure looming over me in the mirror on the opposite wall. I couldn't sleep for days and had to toss out the mirror.

(Also, I totally agree with trypophobia. Makes my skin crawl.)
Catoptrophobia. Fear of mirrors.
Out of everything, mirrors? I'm pathetic.

In all honesty though, I can't look into a mirror for more than 20 seconds without getting a DPD attack and wanting to break the mirror. They're terrifying. I haven't been able to have a mirror in my room for years, since there was one night I woke up and sat upright in my bed, only to see a dark figure looming over me in the mirror on the opposite wall. I couldn't sleep for days and had to toss out the mirror.

(Also, I totally agree with trypophobia. Makes my skin crawl.)
delete_ltr.png
Well..I'm not sure it's super irrational but i have a really bad phobia of needles. When I was younger I had a nurse try to take my blood and it got stuck in my skin.. now whenever I see them I start hyperventilating..

my more ~out there~ phobias are the feeling of coins/money (due to my maths disability) and showers. heh
Well..I'm not sure it's super irrational but i have a really bad phobia of needles. When I was younger I had a nurse try to take my blood and it got stuck in my skin.. now whenever I see them I start hyperventilating..

my more ~out there~ phobias are the feeling of coins/money (due to my maths disability) and showers. heh
My biggest fear is definitely flying insects and/or any creature with really long, really skinny legs. Crane flies are basically my worst nightmare and I. hate. cicadas. They were around once when I was a little kid and waaay too many of them got on me at once (on my face, hands, stuck in my hair, you name it). If I see a flytrap with living flies in it all squirming around it makes me nauseous. I can't do bees, wasps, or hornets either. (I appreciate the fact that bees make tasty honey, but I'd be the worst freaking beekeeper ever.)

I can deal with like, small, non-flying bugs, but if it's big enough that some features are visible or has gigantic legs I am beyond done and someone else must kill it.

There was once a spider that lived, without my knowledge, literally inside of my computer until one day it just straight up crawled onto my monitor and that freaked me out a bit. Spiders don't usually set off alarm bells for me though. I try not to squish the little ones and put them back outside, but like, wolf spiders? Forget it. Ugh.

I know that sharks and snakes should terrify me but I have a huge admiration for them both. Baby snakes make me squeal like most people would over puppies (I keep an entire folder of cute snake pics, even). Sharks are just flat out awesome to me, I guess because I don't live near large water sources, haha.
My biggest fear is definitely flying insects and/or any creature with really long, really skinny legs. Crane flies are basically my worst nightmare and I. hate. cicadas. They were around once when I was a little kid and waaay too many of them got on me at once (on my face, hands, stuck in my hair, you name it). If I see a flytrap with living flies in it all squirming around it makes me nauseous. I can't do bees, wasps, or hornets either. (I appreciate the fact that bees make tasty honey, but I'd be the worst freaking beekeeper ever.)

I can deal with like, small, non-flying bugs, but if it's big enough that some features are visible or has gigantic legs I am beyond done and someone else must kill it.

There was once a spider that lived, without my knowledge, literally inside of my computer until one day it just straight up crawled onto my monitor and that freaked me out a bit. Spiders don't usually set off alarm bells for me though. I try not to squish the little ones and put them back outside, but like, wolf spiders? Forget it. Ugh.

I know that sharks and snakes should terrify me but I have a huge admiration for them both. Baby snakes make me squeal like most people would over puppies (I keep an entire folder of cute snake pics, even). Sharks are just flat out awesome to me, I guess because I don't live near large water sources, haha.
60Avnmu.png
QgilwX7.png Looking for colors or near miss:
—Mantis/Peacock/Peridot
—Ginger/Auburn/Sanguine
—Cerulean/Teal/Ice
—Periwinkle/Plum/Fuschia
I'm absolutely scared of throwing up/vomit. If someone starts throwing up close to me I will get off my seat, run for the closest rooms and lock myself in it for the entire day. I think I always had that fear because I don't remember myself not crying/hyperventilating when I or someone else was throwing up.

Another fear I have is the fear of skeletons/bones. There's not even a word made for that fear yet. Just looking at bones/skeletons makes me uneasy because I suddenly feel so fragile, I developed that fear when I was a kid and my mother broke her arm and the bones were literally sticking out... Of course, I spend the day crying in fear my bones will break too.

Yay for silly fears! ;A;
I'm absolutely scared of throwing up/vomit. If someone starts throwing up close to me I will get off my seat, run for the closest rooms and lock myself in it for the entire day. I think I always had that fear because I don't remember myself not crying/hyperventilating when I or someone else was throwing up.

Another fear I have is the fear of skeletons/bones. There's not even a word made for that fear yet. Just looking at bones/skeletons makes me uneasy because I suddenly feel so fragile, I developed that fear when I was a kid and my mother broke her arm and the bones were literally sticking out... Of course, I spend the day crying in fear my bones will break too.

Yay for silly fears! ;A;
output-onlinegiftools-1.gif rin | he/she/they | gr/eng | fr + 10

» I said to the almond tree, 'Sister, speak to me of god.' And the almond tree blossomed.
Demonochorus-sneks.png
Just a heads up but don't search Trypophobia if you get disturbed easily. Just got curious and had to look that up because i'm an idiot. You might see some really disturbing pictures. My skin is kind of crawling.. I can see why it's a thing jfc.

Bolded so browsers/lurkers notice before they check. I want to spare you.
Just a heads up but don't search Trypophobia if you get disturbed easily. Just got curious and had to look that up because i'm an idiot. You might see some really disturbing pictures. My skin is kind of crawling.. I can see why it's a thing jfc.

Bolded so browsers/lurkers notice before they check. I want to spare you.
tumblr_nf6776Wn8H1qh5dfho7_250.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14