Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Gem ratios EXPLAINED
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@Geophagus
I do agree that gem prices going up is natural. I say this mainly because, look at WC scrolls. They only sell for gems, and they are considered the most rare breed of dragon. Back when ratios were around 1:125, a WC scroll costs as much as a common scroll in treasure! While, sure, it sucks having to essentially pay more for gem scrolls (if you buy gems with treasure instead of real money), I agree, it is normal.

That being said, there have been a couple of isolated incidents where I have seen people taken advantage of because they didn't understand ratios. And you could say, well, it was their fault for not understanding. I am just trying to clear stuff up for some people so that this happens less. Overall, I think FR has an awesome community, and I want to help it stay that way :D
@Geophagus
I do agree that gem prices going up is natural. I say this mainly because, look at WC scrolls. They only sell for gems, and they are considered the most rare breed of dragon. Back when ratios were around 1:125, a WC scroll costs as much as a common scroll in treasure! While, sure, it sucks having to essentially pay more for gem scrolls (if you buy gems with treasure instead of real money), I agree, it is normal.

That being said, there have been a couple of isolated incidents where I have seen people taken advantage of because they didn't understand ratios. And you could say, well, it was their fault for not understanding. I am just trying to clear stuff up for some people so that this happens less. Overall, I think FR has an awesome community, and I want to help it stay that way :D
ACCENT SHOP 9Y3Cg0F.gif Be excellent to each other.
@Vhale
Thanks for the feedback! I have taken out the (possibly) offending line!

Also, in my breeding page, I just put that I do accept gems, but inquire for the ratio. I just can't keep up right now!
@Vhale
Thanks for the feedback! I have taken out the (possibly) offending line!

Also, in my breeding page, I just put that I do accept gems, but inquire for the ratio. I just can't keep up right now!
@benalene

Oh no, I understand completely! I think your post will be very helpful for some people.
I was trying to say that selling for gems and then converting to treasure isn't scamming people, or gaming the system.
Abusing a person's understanding of the current gem ratios(this not as much) or taking advantage of their poor math skills is. That's why I also make a post so people can check my math, in case I've made a mistake, when I'm buying gems. (though I don't know what I'd do if someone ever tried to say my correct conversion was wrong :b)

The way the other user made it sound was that making a profit from gem/treasure conversions was inherently scammy or just in poor taste, and I don't believe it is.

You could even add a tip that the best way to find out the current ratio is is to check the items selling forum!
@benalene

Oh no, I understand completely! I think your post will be very helpful for some people.
I was trying to say that selling for gems and then converting to treasure isn't scamming people, or gaming the system.
Abusing a person's understanding of the current gem ratios(this not as much) or taking advantage of their poor math skills is. That's why I also make a post so people can check my math, in case I've made a mistake, when I'm buying gems. (though I don't know what I'd do if someone ever tried to say my correct conversion was wrong :b)

The way the other user made it sound was that making a profit from gem/treasure conversions was inherently scammy or just in poor taste, and I don't believe it is.

You could even add a tip that the best way to find out the current ratio is is to check the items selling forum!
Please @ping me if you would like a response. I don't check the forums often

EARTHSHAKER_sig.png
@Geophagus
Gotcha ;). We are on the same page.

That is a good tip! Thanks!
@Geophagus
Gotcha ;). We are on the same page.

That is a good tip! Thanks!
[quote name="Hera" date="2013-09-28 11:36:37"]Sad day when someone can't open the calculator on their computer to figure out a ratio[/quote] I have a math disability. Check your arithmetic privilege.
Hera wrote on 2013-09-28 11:36:37:
Sad day when someone can't open the calculator on their computer to figure out a ratio

I have a math disability. Check your arithmetic privilege.
25hhmys.png
@Septim
Obviously you shouldn't be playing this game if you can't do BASIC MATH.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, though, I hope my post helped.
@Septim
Obviously you shouldn't be playing this game if you can't do BASIC MATH.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, though, I hope my post helped.
I'm really confused at the point of this thread. I thought it was going to explain why gems had been increasing in price lately. However, it just seems like it's for people who haven't learned what ratios are. If it was trying to explain another concept, I thought it'd might be helpful for people who are ESL, of which I am one. But I'm pretty sure ratios are pretty universal nowadays.
I'm really confused at the point of this thread. I thought it was going to explain why gems had been increasing in price lately. However, it just seems like it's for people who haven't learned what ratios are. If it was trying to explain another concept, I thought it'd might be helpful for people who are ESL, of which I am one. But I'm pretty sure ratios are pretty universal nowadays.
[LF] Female Ice Imp Low 6 digit - 50k gemsbiDj7CC.png
[quote name="Septim" date="2013-09-28 18:07:20"][quote name="Hera" date="2013-09-28 11:36:37"]Sad day when someone can't open the calculator on their computer to figure out a ratio[/quote] I have a math disability. Check your arithmetic privilege.[/quote] I feel like that might be sarcasm referencing previous FR drama but honestly a lot of us are pretty intimidated by numbers. And maybe we dont want to "play the market" but simply want to buy items from the gem marketplace. You know? @benalene It was very nice & helpful of you to post this. Thanks!
Septim wrote on 2013-09-28 18:07:20:
Hera wrote on 2013-09-28 11:36:37:
Sad day when someone can't open the calculator on their computer to figure out a ratio

I have a math disability. Check your arithmetic privilege.

I feel like that might be sarcasm referencing previous FR drama but honestly a lot of us are pretty intimidated by numbers. And maybe we dont want to "play the market" but simply want to buy items from the gem marketplace. You know?

@benalene It was very nice & helpful of you to post this. Thanks!
@fishspeakers
I made this thread because I have run into several people that were like, "Oh, I don't know what those ratio numbers mean, just tell me how much I owe you!" Now, should I punish them for not understanding by taking advantage of them? No. Should I make fun of them for not knowing or not being able to figure out BASIC MATH? No. The point of this thread was just to lay down some basic principles and concepts in an easy to understand way for people to better grasp what is going on. For all we know, some of these people had a lousy teacher that didn't really teach well. Don't assume that anything is "universal" just because it is easy for you.

Gem prices are increasing because people are buying them for that price. If people are buying them for that price, then of course people will sell them for that price. If no one bought gems at 1:200, then people would have to lower their prices to get people to buy them.
@fishspeakers
I made this thread because I have run into several people that were like, "Oh, I don't know what those ratio numbers mean, just tell me how much I owe you!" Now, should I punish them for not understanding by taking advantage of them? No. Should I make fun of them for not knowing or not being able to figure out BASIC MATH? No. The point of this thread was just to lay down some basic principles and concepts in an easy to understand way for people to better grasp what is going on. For all we know, some of these people had a lousy teacher that didn't really teach well. Don't assume that anything is "universal" just because it is easy for you.

Gem prices are increasing because people are buying them for that price. If people are buying them for that price, then of course people will sell them for that price. If no one bought gems at 1:200, then people would have to lower their prices to get people to buy them.
@GladeSong
Glad I could help! And thanks for the encouragement! I never would have thought when I first made this post how much drama it would incite! I am just trying to help people!
@GladeSong
Glad I could help! And thanks for the encouragement! I never would have thought when I first made this post how much drama it would incite! I am just trying to help people!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10